Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
5 year old boat prices #14424613 07/19/22 08:46 PM
B
Bass Buster1 Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
B
Not bashing anyone for getting what they can get for something they are selling. Just curious if guys are getting now what they paid for a brand new boat 5 years ago? In other words have you fished from your boat for 5 years and are now getting what you paid for it? That is awesome for you if you are but stinks if you are shopping for a deal grin I keep waiting to see boats come down a little but it is not happening...

See you on the lake and have a great day!
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: 5 year old boat prices [Re: Bass Buster1] #14424646 07/19/22 09:16 PM
O
ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50) Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
I just ran the value on my boat I bought in November that is 10 years old. I checked it a couple of places when I bought it just to make sure that I was paying a fair price for it. I am considering up grading to a new or newer boat this winter with all the latest electronics and trolling motor and when I ran the numbers on my boat this weekend NADA is showing about a $10k increase in the value since I bought it. They were pretty much in line with what I paid for it back in November. I knew it had probably gone up in value based on the numbers I was seeing on boat trader and at the dealers, I just didn't think it was that much though.

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Proud student of the Pro Staffer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwF72B2F2w&t=14s
Re: 5 year old boat prices [Re: Bass Buster1] #14424666 07/19/22 09:35 PM
361V Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
The only time you “get ahead” selling a several year old boat (or vehicle for that matter) for “what you paid” is when its THE LAST BOAT(or vehicle) you ever purchase. The price simply reflects the market(prices). It’s funny when my buddies “brag” about trading in their several year old truck for “what they paid” but then WILL NOT tell me the price of their brand new truck! 🤔🤷‍♂️😜

Re: 5 year old boat prices [Re: 361V] #14424683 07/19/22 09:56 PM
O
ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50) Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted by 361V
The only time you “get ahead” selling a several year old boat (or vehicle for that matter) for “what you paid” is when its THE LAST BOAT(or vehicle) you ever purchase. The price simply reflects the market(prices). It’s funny when my buddies “brag” about trading in their several year old truck for “what they paid” but then WILL NOT tell me the price of their brand new truck! 🤔🤷‍♂️😜
I follow the auto industry news daily because my dad was a car dealer in Louisiana when I was a young man. I keep up with it because it reminds me of him. The news I'm seeing right now is that repossessions are at an all time record high, repo companies can't even begin to keep up with the damand for their services.
The used car market has finally started declining as well. The folks I follow pull stats and report them and they are saying most everyone that has purchased a new car or truck in the last year or two is paying the equivelent of another mortgage note for the privlege of riding in a new vehicle even though they got big money on a trade. That is creating a flood of repossessions as I stated earlier. If this trend continues; and I believe it will, there will be a flood of used vehicles at the auction shortly and the used car lots will loaded to the brim with what ever you want and probably cheap.
The other deal they say is looming now is about 3.5 years from when all this started; that will be about the time most people trade again, folks are going to be so upside down in these vehicles if the can afford to keep them they won't be able to trade because the banks and lending institutions will just flat out refuse to do it because of the huge GAP's we've never seen before.. They are affraid this will put a major hurt on the new car market when this happens.

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Proud student of the Pro Staffer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwF72B2F2w&t=14s
Re: 5 year old boat prices [Re: Bass Buster1] #14424687 07/19/22 10:03 PM
R
RedRaider3933 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
A buddy of mine had a 2019 Skeeter ZX250 that he paid $60k for brand new. He sold it a few weeks ago for $68.5k. Listed it on Facebook and it was sold in less than 8 hours. To 361V's point, the new Phoenix he just ordered had a stupid price tag on it.

Go Tech
Re: 5 year old boat prices [Re: Bass Buster1] #14424689 07/19/22 10:05 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
Same with trucks, campers, etc.

Coming to an end soon though with the inevitable recession

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: 5 year old boat prices [Re: Bass Buster1] #14424716 07/19/22 10:23 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I was fortunate a few years ago to sell my Legend for a little more than I paid for it after running it for 7 years. I also got lucky and got a smoking deal on my Skeeter. Both boats I was patient and bought well under what they booked for..
I've been offered "new boat" money for my Skeeter in the last year or so but if I sold.......... what would I replace it with? Even if I cleared 30k on the sale, I couldn't/wouldn't spend the money they are asking for an equivalent boat today.

Re: 5 year old boat prices [Re: Bass Buster1] #14425067 07/20/22 12:05 PM
T-racer @ Mallard Marine Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
It certainly is crazy. Late 90s Allisons are going for more than they did when new. I can't fathom purchasing a new boat, using it for 25 years, and then making a profit on it but I've seen some guys do it.

Mallard Marine Nacogdoches, Tx
936-225-3244 - Authorized Sales/Service
Mercury Outboards - Allison Boats
Re: 5 year old boat prices [Re: Bass Buster1] #14425089 07/20/22 12:20 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I ain't buying again until the used boat market gets right or I sniff out a deal by accident. Then again, I may be boatless forever. Hopefully, I'll find a deal by the time we move.

😎 Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions 😎

Re: 5 year old boat prices [Re: Bass Buster1] #14425132 07/20/22 01:00 PM
L
leethefishking Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
L
The boats didn’t rise in value, your money went down in value. For ever dollar paid a few years ago your money is now worth 60 cents. It gives the impression that your boats gaining value but unfortunately it’s one of the few things that just stayed the same.

Re: 5 year old boat prices [Re: leethefishking] #14425142 07/20/22 01:14 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline
the janitor
the janitor
J
Originally Posted by leethefishking
The boats didn’t rise in value, your money went down in value. For ever dollar paid a few years ago your money is now worth 60 cents. It gives the impression that your boats gaining value but unfortunately it’s one of the few things that just stayed the same.

That's part of it. The other problems are new boat prices, long wait times if you order a boat and even a limited supply of outboards. Used boats are at a premium due to all these factors.

The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

[Linked Image]
Re: 5 year old boat prices [Re: 361V] #14425237 07/20/22 02:21 PM
ReelSlow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

Clear title on boat, truck, Wife's car, house, rental property, farm equipment, and not a penny of debt.

I get a kick out of the guys that trade one truck for another and convince the Wife that they are brilliant because of the great deal they made and the payment is only $100 more and leave out the part about the 5 year loan with 3 years left is now 6 years. I guess having a dumbed down wife has it's advantages , or maybe not.

GOD is good!
Re: 5 year old boat prices [Re: Bass Buster1] #14425242 07/20/22 02:26 PM
J-2 Offline
"Hotblack Desiato"
"Hotblack Desiato"
I sold my boat about 6mo ago. It was 5yrs old with 300hrs. I didn’t get what I paid for it but it wasn’t far off. I keep my boats very clean. Really never have an issue with resale.

Re: 5 year old boat prices [Re: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)] #14425246 07/20/22 02:29 PM
S
Slicefixer Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
S
Originally Posted by ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)
I follow the auto industry news daily because my dad was a car dealer in Louisiana when I was a young man. I keep up with it because it reminds me of him. The news I'm seeing right now is that repossessions are at an all time record high, repo companies can't even begin to keep up with the damand for their services.
The used car market has finally started declining as well. The folks I follow pull stats and report them and they are saying most everyone that has purchased a new car or truck in the last year or two is paying the equivelent of another mortgage note for the privlege of riding in a new vehicle even though they got big money on a trade. That is creating a flood of repossessions as I stated earlier. If this trend continues; and I believe it will, there will be a flood of used vehicles at the auction shortly and the used car lots will loaded to the brim with what ever you want and probably cheap.
The other deal they say is looming now is about 3.5 years from when all this started; that will be about the time most people trade again, folks are going to be so upside down in these vehicles if the can afford to keep them they won't be able to trade because the banks and lending institutions will just flat out refuse to do it because of the huge GAP's we've never seen before.. They are affraid this will put a major hurt on the new car market when this happens.

I'm afraid you're dead on correct Doc. I simply don't understand how so many get themselves so leveraged with debt, especially for "nonessential's."

However, it's none of my business so I never comment, etc.

I have taught my kids the same thing my father taught me, "when it comes to toys.....if ya can't pay cash you probably can't afford it." (obviously MANY exceptions to this rule)

As for boat values......

When I decided to get back into bass fishing a few years back I knew I wanted an aluminum tournament class boat (I fish shallow, junky h20 90+% of the time). I also wanted something I could rebuild into what I wanted. I did a LOT of due diligence, found what I wanted, and bought it for $5k. It's now worth, according to NADA, etc, $12k. I watch FB Classifieds etc pretty closely and they're selling for that, or more (temporarily).

Last edited by Slicefixer; 07/20/22 02:35 PM.

Gj
Re: 5 year old boat prices [Re: Bass Buster1] #14425269 07/20/22 02:50 PM
F
flashman252 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Bought an old Nitro z7 stamped for the 200 hp for 14.5k in 2020. Motor only had 97 hours on it (original 150 that came on boat), all it needed was new spark plugs and has ran REALLY good since I purchased. Ran the Nada numbers just the other day out of curiosity and says I could list for 25k. Only owe 9k still on the boat. Was kicking around the idea of selling it myself. Would probably start all over and sell it with all the lowrance units, ultrex and tricks I have added since purchasing and maybe get a few more dollars out of it. Either way blows my mind.

You think boats have gone up, bought a travel trailer same week I bought the boat in 2020. I got a good deal on it because my wife works at an RV dealership, so already not upside down. Looked at that one too, and I could list for 20k profit right now.

Last edited by flashman252; 07/20/22 02:51 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide