Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14414419 07/07/22 08:46 PM
P
prosise Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
P
Have not posted in a while, been chasing the green fish mainly. It is darn hot out there in the daytime, so be prepared for the heat. I fished three days this week and stumbled across the sandbass a couple times out scouting humps. I have seen lots of bait in the scotts landing cove, and out in main lake (Deep water). Wed I was near Grapevine point close to the entrance to the public ramp and found lots of big sandbass. I sat out in front of this entrance in about 25ft, and the fish seemed to be moving thru in a long line of schools. I was casting out 70ft and letting the big slab wobble down to them and picking them off. The only thing about this experience, was that I was using the livescope. I don't think that they would have been as easy to pinpoint. My thumper battery was not charged so I went quiet, and surprisingly still did really well. Wind was blowing into this cove, so I would recommend focusing on the main lake points on the windy side for a bit. Other than this large school that I found at 6am, It has been pretty quiet for me. I have seen lots of schooling fish over at the mouth of scotts landing, and all the way to dove ramp. These fish are really small and are a trap, if you get into these schools get out a large crankbait and work thru them. I was using a 6xd and picked up many large sandbass, and the larger hooks would keep the smaller fish from making it to the boat. For fish seen out on humps, they are stuck to the bottom like glue, and they will come up and work jigs. I think the fish are eager to bite, but you need something to get their attention. I have not been up the lake, but I would like to say the upper end humps should be worth checking out. Fishing is really good right now for bass, but I am catching them in the top of the day in the heat. For me the sandbass and Bass are easier to find in the middle of the day, and if you can take the heat you can have a good time. Calm winds will produce allot of surface feeding, but they will be small fish. Winds will make it harder for you to find them, but you have one really good hint to keep an eye out for. The white cranes and grey cranes are flying out and looking for schooling fish. They will dive down and pick up a fish, and it's off to the bank to eat it. Watch for the cranes flying, and if you see allot of white cranes on the bank they are close to some action. Right now, I would try to stay where they are. These birds are the best fish catching tip you have right now. Take care all....

Here is where I was yesterday morning.. But since I was using Livescope it would be harder to find them. Use a thumper (real deal or redneck stick version or bluetooth speaker). It might get them to pull into your area.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 07/07/22 08:47 PM.
Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14417382 07/11/22 07:49 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Jr Deputy Dan
Originally Posted by prosise
Fished yesterday for the green fish. Winds were calm and by 2pm the lake wasn't actually a nightmare with boat traffic. I saw 6+ boats out in the middle of the lake in the lower deep area of the lake, so i am guessing there was schooling fish. Mid-lake there was fish schooling on the north side of the lake out in the deeper water. I could see grey cranes flying out into the schools for morning brunch. I didn't fish for them, but I saw many wolfpacks working the surface. The interesting thing was the splashes of the fish were visible from a long way off. These were not small fish. With the lighter winds I have to say that the hotter it gets, the more fun tou can have. Prep for 100 degree temps requires about three things and you will not put yourself in a uncomfortable position. Long sleeve quick dry shirts with a hood are hands down the first necessity. I am typically a XL shirt because I am 6'4" and I have long arms. With these shirts I wear a 2x or 3x. You do not want skin hugging shirts. I used to haul hay for a job in the summers while I was in high school and long sleeve white cotton shirts kept me cool. The quick dry shirts are 10x better. Secondly, wear swim trunks if you can. You are going to be pouring water on your sleeves, and down your neck to wet the shirt. If your wearing cotton underwear your going to get "itchy butt" if you sit in wet shorts. And lastly, you need a hat, ai wear a hand woven straw hat that was given to my dad by a friend from Mexico. Straw hats are the best, but you may need to add a stampede string. The bigger the better. Now, the most important thing with clothes, dont wear anything dark. (Anything!!!). Ballcaps, do-rags, shirts all need to be the lightest colors. My quickdry shirts are so dirty that I typically look like a homeless person when I stop at the store. But when you get these completely wet you will cool down, initially the shirt will stick to you buy in about 5 minutes your arms will feel like your in an air conditioning environment. I copied this from the web >>> The color of an object is determined by the wavelengths of light that object absorbs, and because absorbed light transforms into thermal energy (heat), darker colors attract more heat. The only color that does not attract heat is white because white objects reflect all visible wavelengths of light. Black – the color that absorbs all visible wavelengths of light – attracts the most heat, followed by violet, indigo, blue, green, yellow, orange and red, in descending order. To stay cool during the summer and keep warm during the winter, keep this rule of thumb in mind. White, red and yellow are best for the warm months when you want to avoid attracting extra heat.

I typically bring 192 oz of water in insulated metal thermos'. That is for me alone if I am fishing all day in the summer, and I try to mix two thermos' with electrolytes. Rule of thumb, if your not needing to take a leak out in the heat your behind the curve on water. If you get behind, your not going to notice it at first but that night and the next day your going to be wiped out. My boat has a ladder so i can ease down into the water to cool down. But 80% of the timebI am pouring water over myself with a bucket. Best little thing for little ones is a umbrella. With a lifejacket my kids would be doing cannon ball splashing off the back of the boat while i caught fish on the front. I am very accustomed to heat, and prefer it over cold. But if you get a heat stroke your life will change and you will never be able to take the heat. Don't know why, but that is the truth.

It was 100 with light winds yesterday, and me and the fish whisperer were not suffering too bad out there. The interesting thing about the green fish right now is they are biting really well in the heat. You can skip the early morning bite when its cool and dominate big bass in the hottest part of the day. If you are fishing in less than 15ft of water you are spinning your wheels right now. You need to be fishing 15 plus feet, and don't be afraid to be in 25 ft of water fishing for bass. My fishing mentor caught 10 fish (bass) to my 2 fish last Wednesday fishing rock piles in deeper water. I was literally spot locked 20ft from him while he put a whoopin on me. Yes you can catch bass shallow, but you will catch the big fish down in deeper water. I am seeing bigger bass schooling up inro wolfpacks and just hanging out on certain rock piles, and humps. When bait presents itself, they pounce. In the shallows, you can catch bass but since the lake is coming back down to full level, the bass/bait will not have the brush to lounge in. When they loose the brush, they go back to what they know most of the year (submerged brush piles -man made) & (Rock piles). I used to stay away from areas with sandbass when fishing for bass, but they are after the same thing . Along with bigger bass would easily eat small sandbass/crappie so I fish the spots.

Take care all, here is a link for the shirts I just ordered. If you wear a xl shirt order a 2xl, if you have long arms like me get a 3xl. Baggy is better, and the arms have thumb holes which are nice.

Amazon Link Shirt

I ordered this shirt and its now my new favorite fishing shirt! Like it so much I went back and ordered 2 more!

If yall fish in the heat these cannot be beat and the price is not too bad at all.

Have not been fishing Grapevine lately, too many wake boats to be out there in a yak. Been mostly fishing smaller ponds or more remote lakes that do not have a big wake boarding scene . But I really enjoy reading these reports and great tip on the shirt sir!

Tight lines.

Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14417631 07/11/22 11:49 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
White bass were schooling all over the lake today. Most were small but a few keepers mixed in too. I must have saw at least 4 separate schools of them going at different places and times.

Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14419929 07/14/22 02:30 PM
P
prosise Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
P
Fished 3 days this week. Mainly for bass, but I ran across very little action with sandbass. Yesterday about noon, I decided to do some scouting. I checked sandbass point, the humps out east of the islanc, the end of Murrell park point, twin coves entrance, rock crusher, and the humps I referenced north of the crusher, and lastly meadomere park the end of the drop to deep wafer. All were blank, no bait seen at any of these locations. Lastly I was just doing a quick visual around the lake and I saw some cranes near land up at Murrell park, the entrance of the cove which has the private HOA marina. Fishing was brutal, and it was hot. I was actually happy catching small sandbass vs not catching anything. I didn't go up from the crusher area, so you need to find the bait and you will find the fish. I didn't search out in the real deep areas of the lake, as I didn't want to kill fish bringing them out of 35+ foot of water. I saw small fish schooling on the windy side of the lake by the island a couple times this week (really small fish), and then yesterday at the north side by Murrell point by the west point going into the small cove. The humps I fished yesterday, just checking for fish had small gaspergoo (freshwater drum) on them all. You might see fish on top of the hump in a small compact school, but they wont hit a large slab. If you use the small cordell spoon, and work it very slowly about 4 inches of movement you can catch the small drum. They actually fight pretty good. But It was brutally hot, and without the right clothing you are going to get overheated. I went into the lake several times, then just dumped water over myself with a cup. Fishing has been good at the top of the day for bass, and the small schooling sandbass were out as well. Not much to go on, but if you go out I would be mid lake on the windy side at 5:15am and do some searching along the water at 25ft along the banks at first light. Grapevine point, and around the island is your best bet in my opinion. And lastly, watch for cranes. They are the best fishing locators on the water right now.

Take care

Prosise

Please share if you cross paths with the fish..

Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14420387 07/14/22 10:47 PM
O
Old Birdeye Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O
You do a good job of posting for Grapevine. I’ve fished the lake on three occasions this summer and each time I’ve found big schools of Sand Bass. I’ve yet to find fish of any size. That’s been perfect on the two times I’ve brought my granddaughter. They were perfect size for her to learn on. Before 2020 or Covid I could find schools of big Sand Bass all summer. Even when the fish up top were small I could catch larger fish under them. I’m guessing the lake has been over fished the last two years or something.

Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: Old Birdeye] #14420822 07/15/22 02:36 PM
P
prosise Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
P
Originally Posted by Old Birdeye
You do a good job of posting for Grapevine. I’ve fished the lake on three occasions this summer and each time I’ve found big schools of Sand Bass. I’ve yet to find fish of any size. That’s been perfect on the two times I’ve brought my granddaughter. They were perfect size for her to learn on. Before 2020 or Covid I could find schools of big Sand Bass all summer. Even when the fish up top were small I could catch larger fish under them. I’m guessing the lake has been over fished the last two years or something.

We have had two years of a really good shad spawn.. Fish are fat, and numbers are good. But I actually have been doing better on big fish in the last two years. I might be wrong, but me and my fishing buddy were talking about this.. Fish are getting good food, and numbers are good. But this week it was tough.

I saw a post of a local bass fisherman who has been catching good bass at night, with some sandbass.. I am going to do some looking in some areas I don't typically like to fish because of the traffic. Will see how it goes.

Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14420839 07/15/22 02:49 PM
blackNblue_NTX Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
I have been fishing there out of a kayak and have been trying to fish shallow and its been miserable. Anything caught is about the size of my pinkie. Does anyone know when this lake became such a big party lake? I want to fish more of the main lake but it is impossible in a kayak. Also I know the lake has smallmouth, when is the best time of year to go for them? If anyone has any pointers on how to get one it would much appreciated.

Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: blackNblue_NTX] #14420954 07/15/22 04:56 PM
P
prosise Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
P
Originally Posted by blackNblue_NTX
I have been fishing there out of a kayak and have been trying to fish shallow and its been miserable. Anything caught is about the size of my pinkie. Does anyone know when this lake became such a big party lake? I want to fish more of the main lake but it is impossible in a kayak. Also I know the lake has smallmouth, when is the best time of year to go for them? If anyone has any pointers on how to get one it would much appreciated.

Anytime of the year.. The dam is producing allot of good smallmouth lately. Check out https://www.facebook.com/groups/TxHarcoreBassFishing which has some posts from last night fishing for bass. He caught some nice smallmouth. I think he exclusively fishes the dam.

Link to Facebook TXHardcoreBassFishing

I have been fishing in the 20+ depth for about 3 weeks for bass after 8am and doing well. The water is really getting warm on the surface, which drives them down. I wouldn't fish in less than 10ft unless it's night, or up until about 6:30am. Now im strictly talking about bass. The big sandies are out there, and they are deep. With the wake boat idiots it is really hard to fish in a small boat. I fished last sunday out of my canoe, and they have no idea what safety is all about. They do have a right to the water, but i draw the line when I can cast and hit their boats. I would avoid sundays and fish the weekdays early and you will have a much safer time out.

If you fish the dam, I would start about half way and work north to the very north end..

Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14421193 07/15/22 09:33 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Sandies schooled out in front of Katie’s woods for hours this morning. Only one other boat on them. I caught 50 plus and left them schooling about 9:30 to drive around.

Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14422501 07/17/22 07:34 PM
P
prosise Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
P
Humps north of the crusher easy limit and 10 minutes at 11:00 and at 2:00. Will update later

Fished for green fish early and on my way to the beach I stopped at the humps below and whacked them. On my way back I did a repeat. Right now it's being at the right place at the right time..
Fyi..
If you don't know where they are. Open these links on your phone with google maps. Just make your way to these high spots out in the middle of no where. These are good spots when looking for fish.

Humps north of the crusher.
33°00'10.3"N 97°07'09.3"W
https://goo.gl/maps/mMHEmv3NTyEwPR669

33°00'10.9"N 97°07'10.5"W
https://goo.gl/maps/5HpsGsF6m42LgCP16

Last edited by prosise; 07/17/22 10:35 PM.
Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14422703 07/17/22 11:23 PM
G
GusAlford Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
G
Thanks for the updates. Very helpful info!

Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14426093 07/21/22 12:59 PM
P
prosise Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
P
And "YES", i'm a redneck.. My super sophisticated seating is really nice to fish with.

Fished yesterday from 3am to 4:30pm, chased green fish most of the day. At 10am small sandbass were schooling at the mouth of the south cove for Scott's Marina, which lasted for at least 2 hours. I did go in and pick at them a little, but they were moving so fast it was a little hard keeping up with them. Only one keeper caught in this group. At 11am I checked all the usual spots including the humps up the lake. Went back to bass fishing and around 2:45 I went back up to the humps north of the crusher. The two waypoints are about 40 yards apart, and are the very top of the humps. If you go to these areas, you might not see much. I wasn't seeing bait up there but the fish were there later in the day. Anyhoo there wann't much on the graph, turned on the Bluetooth thumper and sat on those two humps for about 90 minutes. Schools kept coming in and sitting under the boat. If you don't have a thumper take your bluetooth speaker out and play loud music, or do what I do and use the android metronome app. Didn't feel like editing so I just made a video of 70'ish minutes of catching fish. Sorry in advance if I do something silly. About 30 % were good fish, the other 70% were small to med size. But for putting kids on fish this would have been great. I was fishing a white spoon, with one of my homemade front runner lures. The front runner is made from a rooster tail spinner, or a small willow leaf blade that I added a hook to the back. I don't like adjusting the worm all the time if I use a jig above the bait. Note: even when I would cast out most of the time they wouldn't hit until I was back to the boat.. They sat onder the boat mainly due to the thumper.. If your not using a thumper you are going to struggle, just my .02 cents..

Earlier in the day it was overcast and windy, the schooling fish were in many places. When the cloud cover went away I think this helped with grouping fish on the humps. Bird blue skies will help on the deep bite, cloud cover will get the fish to roam.
In the video from 27:00-30:00 i move between the two humps and you can see the small dip between them.

Double rig I use.. I typically use the Cordell spoons this one is from academy. I have been painting them white or yellow with enamel paint. The one from academy comes in white. The picture below if from a post last year when I was using 6 baits at once, but I am only using one of the front runner baits above the spoon/slab.
[Linked Image]

When the bite gets harder scale down the spoon to the medium, or small cordell spoon. Note: Very Very important. >>>>> The hook on the large and med are too big in my opinion. I swap these out for smaller hooks. The large hook is way too large for Grapevine. The ones below are the med and small spoon.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 07/21/22 01:30 PM.
Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14426246 07/21/22 03:23 PM
L
LordoftheMorning Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Thanks for the report.

Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14429201 07/25/22 01:46 AM
P
prosise Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
P
Decided to go out in the low drag ninja canoe today.. Launched at Trophy Club park at the very end of the road, as It is the closest launch to the beach.. Went and cleaned out some trash at the beach with my metal detector. No real cool treasures, a couple pair of sunglasses, about 37 cents, and a single helping of Jack Daniels whiskey, and allot of pull tabs. Finished up there and started walking banks picking up primarily bottles, and the trash that I could carry in my bucket. When I was done walking banks I was pretty close to the humps north of the crusher. I opened the link on my phone in google maps and worked my way out to the humps. I made a real bad mistake this morning by not bringing my anchor. If I would have loaded the anchor I could have had some fun with the sandbass. I caught about 4, and lost several but I had to drift over the hump, and it wasn't very easy fishing while drifting. But i had a good time actually catching fish using my cell phone as a GPS, and making due with what I had. I filled the canoe with trash today, and I feel good about what i did. Lady lake did not reward me with lures today, but that is the way it goes. Take care all, and in the mid afternoon check on the humps.. Thump like there is no tomorrow.. I took some video today out on the humps, I was tapping my foot and banging on the side for a thumper. I might just take the canoe out tomorrow with an anchor.

Note: The channel coming out of Trophy Club park is silted in, and there are new trees in the lane. I would not go up into the creek from the lake, or launch at TC ramp. I run abut 12" with my suzuki 2hp and I did not hit anything. But I did check the depth and it is about 5ft in many places where the channel used to be. When the lake comes down it will likely clean out the channel..

I ran into some fishermen, gave them the waypoint. Hope they got on the fish. And to answer your question, yes the single serving beverage was consumed.. Tasted like old crow, not a whiskey that is worthy.....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 07/25/22 03:24 AM.
Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14429451 07/25/22 01:37 PM
rkd Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Was watching Shark Week last night and they were using a giant "thumper" (big speaker lowered into the water) to draw the sharks in....said it was to mimick whales breaching. Got me to thinking one of the biologists must be a TFF'r and stole the idea from Prosise!

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide