Print Thread
High School Fishing Tournament Rules #14419372 07/13/22 08:19 PM
M
manoduk Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
i was at boat ramp recently. The conversation was regarding HS fishing tournaments. The debate seemed to be that some teams are captain by fisherman who are very highly skilled on the use of eletronics/livescope. The conversations got somewhat heated and it seems that most teams do not have that advantage. The teams winnig tournaments are the ones with the experienced CAPTAIN who is basically locates the fish and all the kids have to do is present the bait.I really know very little about HS Tournament but i suspect very few kids would have access to 8 or 10 thousand dollars in electronics. Are the teams allowed to fish with a guide. i could see where if this is true it could discourage most kids.The idea I would assume is to get kids interested in this great sport. Not sure if its about the kids or the Dads bragging rights Where could i find the rules. i dont have a dog in the fight just found it interesting and it seems a little unfair

Re: High School Fishing Tournament Rules [Re: manoduk] #14419445 07/13/22 09:55 PM
P
pkhunter624 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Check out all the rules at Texas High School Bass Association

Re: High School Fishing Tournament Rules [Re: manoduk] #14420049 07/14/22 04:25 PM
C
Corey25 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
There are a lot of teams that have fathers or grandfathers that basically catch the fish for them and have 80,000+ rigs. But I know a few kids that can just flat-out catch them without help. In collegiate-level fishing is where you find out who doesn't need help. I wish THSBA could find a way to show what the anglers know and not the boat skills.

Re: High School Fishing Tournament Rules [Re: manoduk] #14420853 07/15/22 03:07 PM
T
Txduckhunter Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by manoduk
i was at boat ramp recently. The conversation was regarding HS fishing tournaments. The debate seemed to be that some teams are captain by fisherman who are very highly skilled on the use of eletronics/livescope. The conversations got somewhat heated and it seems that most teams do not have that advantage. The teams winnig tournaments are the ones with the experienced CAPTAIN who is basically locates the fish and all the kids have to do is present the bait.I really know very little about HS Tournament but i suspect very few kids would have access to 8 or 10 thousand dollars in electronics. Are the teams allowed to fish with a guide. i could see where if this is true it could discourage most kids.The idea I would assume is to get kids interested in this great sport. Not sure if its about the kids or the Dads bragging rights Where could i find the rules. i dont have a dog in the fight just found it interesting and it seems a little unfair

Been with THSBA almost since its inception. Only once has the boat not been to a regional event and twice we have missed the cut to State. (barely) There have been many checks and prizes won out of my boat, we rarely fish "deep" and I don't own a 'scope.
We do study maps. We do look at Google Earth. We do practice casting, pitching and flipping in the yard. We talk about what we have found. I have them ask "why" - a lot. We pay attention to silly things like retrieval speed, water conditions, weather conditions, how the fish bit, what cover was it in - this all goes back to the "why" and establishing a pattern.
You hear a bit about a team winning using the scope but not near what you could think. I see guys using it at every event and rarely see them on stage holding up their winnings - just because you can see them doesn't mean you can catch them. You would also be surprised by the amount of boats that do have 5-10k of electronics today. Somewhere, I have a couple of photos from the National Championship, in them are a couple of photos of a 16' flats boat from Florida with a 90hp with one 10" graph - they finished 4th on Pickwick fishing deep ledges....... it's the arrow, not the Indian.
No, you cannot hire a guide within a specified period.
As to it being "unfair" - life isn't fair. If you duck something because you think it might not be fair, your gonna miss out on a lot of life. IMO, lowering the bar is a whole lot of why this country is in the state it is in right now. No one benefits by lowering the bar to make things "fair".

Rules can be located at THSBA.org.

Re: High School Fishing Tournament Rules [Re: manoduk] #14424157 07/19/22 01:57 PM
B
Ben B Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
If we are worried about Livescope being the issue it would seem pretty easy to me to have those head units removed prior to take off - could be checked at same time live well checks are done. But there will still always be inequality because there are so many factors from boat performance to tackle, and yes even a knowledgeable captain in the boat or not (but to me that's no different than having a knowledgeable coach, like in any other school-sponsored sporting event or extracurricular activity).

Just my 2 cents...

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide