Forums59
Topics1,038,966
Posts13,956,593
Members144,184
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Best Friends kill me sometimes [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14405374 06/26/22 10:42 PM
F
flashman252 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
I let someone borrow my boat one time and he left it sitting under a tree. It was completely filthy when he brought it back to me. That being said, I still have a few friends I would lend a boat to. Your buddy should have cleaned your boat and offered to buy a new battery. Your boat should have been cleaned before the travel trailer. It shows a bit of a one-way street in your friendship.

Kind of what I was thinking as well. He did offer to buy a new battery. I told him I wanted to put it on a better charger that can "recover" batteries and see if that works before buying a new one. I just bought the thing a month ago when I installed AT on the boat, I have seen crazier things happen but I told him I wanted to try first.

This is kind of out of left field, but this whole incident got me thinking. Does anyone leave just one unit connected to the Starting battery? I think I am going to move one of my HDS lives at the console over to the cranking battery. It would only have one unit on that battery and the rest on the battery dedicated to the electronics. Worse case scenario, I am not without some graphing (2D, DI, SI), always have mapping for getting around the lake and I can actually monitor the voltage on my big motor off one graph and the voltage on my battery for electronics off the other graphs. I know it is not ideal but neither is killing a battery dead dead and having black screens around the entire boat.

Re: Best Friends kill me sometimes [Re: Bob Davis] #14405376 06/26/22 10:47 PM
W
Wool E. Booger Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
W
Originally Posted by Bob Davis
Wife, truck, boat. 3 Things to never, ever lend to your buddy.

Words of wisdom right there. I would add tools to the list also, in my experience, you never get them back.

Re: Best Friends kill me sometimes [Re: flashman252] #14405380 06/26/22 10:53 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by flashman252

seems like a few on here would lend their wife before they lend their boat!

just borrow his wife and send her home all muddy and messed up, but shoot video.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: Best Friends kill me sometimes [Re: flashman252] #14405387 06/26/22 10:59 PM
elcoyote, esq. Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
I let someone borrow my boat one time and he left it sitting under a tree. It was completely filthy when he brought it back to me. That being said, I still have a few friends I would lend a boat to. Your buddy should have cleaned your boat and offered to buy a new battery. Your boat should have been cleaned before the travel trailer. It shows a bit of a one-way street in your friendship.

Kind of what I was thinking as well. He did offer to buy a new battery. I told him I wanted to put it on a better charger that can "recover" batteries and see if that works before buying a new one. I just bought the thing a month ago when I installed AT on the boat, I have seen crazier things happen but I told him I wanted to try first.

This is kind of out of left field, but this whole incident got me thinking. Does anyone leave just one unit connected to the Starting battery? I think I am going to move one of my HDS lives at the console over to the cranking battery. It would only have one unit on that battery and the rest on the battery dedicated to the electronics. Worse case scenario, I am not without some graphing (2D, DI, SI), always have mapping for getting around the lake and I can actually monitor the voltage on my big motor off one graph and the voltage on my battery for electronics off the other graphs. I know it is not ideal but neither is killing a battery dead dead and having black screens around the entire boat.

My graphs and stereo are wired in to my cranking battery circuit. I have an isolation switch, and if the cranking battery goes dead, I can switch to the secondary cranking battery. Have yet to have it go dead on me though.

Team wolfs

Originally Posted by Allison1
I had to perform. It took a minute to get it all in my mouth and another five to swallow it all.

Re: Best Friends kill me sometimes [Re: elcoyote, esq.] #14405389 06/26/22 11:03 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by elcoyote, esq.

My graphs and stereo are wired in to my cranking battery circuit. I have an isolation switch, and if the cranking battery goes dead, I can switch to the secondary cranking battery. Have yet to have it go dead on me though.

charge isolator, senses which battery is low and switches to it when running. only works when engine is running so pretty safe.

I used to use one of these on my trucks in colorado between start battery and winch battery, they work great.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...J4vs7El2wgwsOiCX6jpG2pP5xExoCFjsQAvD_BwE

Last edited by hopalong; 06/26/22 11:04 PM.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: Best Friends kill me sometimes [Re: flashman252] #14405393 06/26/22 11:06 PM
K
Kodyjoe Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
K
Got lots of friends but noway they taking my boat unless I am in it. Got a buddy that bought a super clean Ranger bout a year ago and never had it on the water yet. He begs me to come get it and take it to the lake. Told him noway I am taking your boat cause that's when something would happen

Re: Best Friends kill me sometimes [Re: flashman252] #14405398 06/26/22 11:16 PM
T
Techfisher Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
I do not loan anything to anybody. Only good friend I ever had died from alcohol. I have acquaintances but nobody I would call a good friend.

Re: Best Friends kill me sometimes [Re: hopalong] #14405410 06/26/22 11:37 PM
B
Bob Davis Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Originally Posted by hopalong

just borrow his wife and send her home all muddy and messed up, but shoot video.

roflmao

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: Best Friends kill me sometimes [Re: Kodyjoe] #14405413 06/26/22 11:47 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Kodyjoe
Got lots of friends but noway they taking my boat unless I am in it. Got a buddy that bought a super clean Ranger bout a year ago and never had it on the water yet. He begs me to come get it and take it to the lake. Told him noway I am taking your boat cause that's when something would happen

I have a friend like that. Two of em. My fishing partner has a really nice FX21. I tell him it’s our backup boat…cause I’d never want to be the one to mess up his boat. Same or the one that wants me to take his boat and use it. Just can’t do it. I have one. If it gets blood in the carpet or mud it is my problem.

Agree on the loaning of trucks and wives. However, everyone is scared to death of my wife.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Best Friends kill me sometimes [Re: flashman252] #14405455 06/27/22 12:53 AM
H
Hook'em79 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
H
Yep, I’ve got a buddy like this with how close we are as his pretty much a brother. And just like I would tell my actual brothers if they did something stupid he gets told as well.

It’s a 2 way street and if I pull something he will WTF me right back.

Love that dude though and there’s nothing I would let come between us.

We also work together so there is that dynamic we have to deal with.

God, Family, Friends
www.sterlingtractor.com

Re: Best Friends kill me sometimes [Re: flashman252] #14405456 06/27/22 12:56 AM
Bigbob_FTW Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
I have two people I trust my life with. Anything else we can work out.

[Linked Image][Linked Image] FJB
Re: Best Friends kill me sometimes [Re: flashman252] #14405465 06/27/22 01:11 AM
TexDawg Online Content
Top Dawg
Online Content
Top Dawg

I don’t hate anyone that much

Re: Best Friends kill me sometimes [Re: flashman252] #14405566 06/27/22 04:30 AM
I
Indianation65 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I
Flashman,
He's a good buddy, and you should thank him for teaching you a good lesson.

He's a good friend when you are around, but he can't be trusted to alone with your property.
Learn the lesson, but still be buddies.

...------

Re: Best Friends kill me sometimes [Re: flashman252] #14405647 06/27/22 12:08 PM
T
TCK73 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
My best friends are not the ones I trust the most loaning stuff out to. I have some guys I work with, and others I know well, but we are not necessarily good friends. I know they know what’s up, and won’t hesitate to loan them some things. Most of my best friends can tear up an anvil with a rubber mallet.

Re: Best Friends kill me sometimes [Re: RayBob] #14405693 06/27/22 01:04 PM
R
RayBob Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
R
Originally Posted by RayBob
IMO there is no such thing as a "best friend". People will let you down. I had a best friend like you mention, in fact a couple of them. They both pulled boneheaded moves to make me keep them at arms length even though we're still friends. Now I know what they both are capable of.

Let me be clear as in my almost 70 years I've come to this decision thru my life experiences both personal and things I have witnessed happening to others. Am I friendly to others? Yes sure. No need being an arsehole unless someone is asking for that treatment.

I had a neighbor about 15 years ago that I would have garage beers with 2-3 days a week. We talked a lot of philosophical things. (Pretty sharp old construction worker-retired). He had a simple statement that I think rings pretty true. He said many times : "People, everyone, come with an appetite". I had never thought that much about it but now, as I've grown in life experience, I see where he was coming from.

I am not openly suspicious of folks and believe in being cordial and friendly but am aware of the wisdom encapsulated in that "appetite" statement. And I'll loan out tools, give out of things I may have, and help folks with tasks they have to do and need help. My wife and my sons are the ones I am wide open to and get my all.

Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide