Print Thread
Testing Fly Rods #14398418 06/19/22 09:41 PM
R
RexW Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R

In a recent issue of “Flyfisher” magazine, George Daniel wrote: “Test All Rods Before Purchasing: Test casting a rod is the best choice before making a purchase. Picking a fly rod is like the Harry Potter scene when Ollivander, the wand maker, says the “wand chooses the wizard.”” << There is so much truth in this statement.

I truly believe that casting several fly rods before purchase is a wise decision. I have seen many rods purchased based solely on price. OK, I get it, even the lower priced fly rods are not inexpensive. So, I understand someone focusing on cost for their first rod since they don’t know if they will like fly fishing or not. But, I’m not talking about beginners. I have seen more experienced fly fishers purchase rods based solely on price than beginners. I have seen them purchase the most expensive rod model because “it is the most expensive, so, it must be the best.” Often these rods were not designed for the style of fishing they plan to do with it and they end up unhappy with its performance. I’ve even seen some of them purchase another rod or two while searching for the perfect rod. They would have saved money and been happier quicker by taking time to test cast some rods first.

Test casting fly rods is the fun part of rod shopping. Go to a fly shop or a fly fishing show and cast every rod you that you can. Ignore the brand names and prices. Just go cast some rods. Narrow down your rod options to the ones that feel good to you and your casting style. After all, you will be the person fishing with it, so, who cares what someone else thinks about the choice? Don’t be shocked if you discover the rod you like is one of the cheaper options.

So… how do you test cast a rod anyway???

It seems that the most popular way to test a fly rod is go for the maximum distance it will cast. But, if you want a small stream trout rod, do you really care if the rod will cast 100 feet? Wouldn’t it make more sense to test how the rod will perform in the 15 to 40 foot range? However, if you’re looking for a saltwater flats rod, then maximum distance may be your first priority. Decide what type of rod are you looking for and how you plan to use it; general purpose rod, small stream rod, nymphing rod, flats rod, bass rod, tarpon rod, etc. Ensure that you test cast a rod based on how you plan to use it.

Personally, I like to test cast a rod in multiple situations to see how it performs and whether or not it “feels good” to me. Here’s how I test a rod:

1. Make several false casts at about 35 feet of distance. I want to get a feel for the rod. Can I feel the rod load? Does it feel like I have control of the line throughout the cast? Let’s face it, every fly rod can make a 35 foot cast, but does the rod in your hand “feel good” to you while doing it?

2. Make a pick up and laydown cast at 35 feet. Does the rod feel smooth, load easily, and control the line?

3. Pick several random targets, one close at maybe 20 feet, one about 30 feet, and one at 45 feet or so. How does the rod perform when you need accuracy at varying distances?

4. Roll cast – Make a couple of roll casts. How does the rod perform? Some rods are better at roll casting than others, but I would not buy a rod that can not roll cast. Roll casts are used in all fishing situations. Sometimes for presentation. Sometimes for line management (remove slack). Sometimes to get a fly “unstuck” from a rock. Sometimes to raise a sinking line back to the surface to make another cast. The ability to make a roll cast is critical to me.

5. Distance – The last thing I’ll check is how the rod performs for longer distances. I’ll make several false casts using a double haul just to get a feel for how the rod performs with faster line speeds and more line in the air. How much distance? Well, it depends on the rod, for a 3 wt trout rod, I might just focus on 40 feet, but for a flats rods, I might want to see how the rod feels carrying 70 feet of line in the air. Distance performance is the lowest priority to me when testing a rod. It is fun to make a long distance cast, but an 80+ foot cast is just not needed that often where I fish.

I can go through all of those steps in just a few minutes. You only need to make one or two casts of each of the different skills and 3 or 4 false casts are usually enough to get a feel for the rod. If you need to make multiple casts to decide if you like it, then that particular rod is probably not the best choice for you. It is obvious when you find the right rod, it just feels comfortable to cast. “Comfortable” and “feels good” are personal decisions that nobody else can make for you.

A few extra comments. Test rods in the weight you are interested in purchasing. Comparing a 3 wt. in one rod to an 8 wt. in a different rod model is not an apples-to-apples comparison. If possible, use the same fly line for each rod. It is easier to tell the differences in the rods when the same line is used.

Once you’ve narrowed down your options to rods that fit your casting style, then factor in the other variables such as price, fit and finish, warranty, availability, etc. Those items are important and we can’t ignore them. But, focusing on casting performance first by test casting will help you avoid purchasing a rod that you don’t enjoy casting or fishing.

Good luck and have fun!

Rex
FFI CI
TFO Rods

[Linked Image]

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Testing Fly Rods [Re: RexW] #14398566 06/20/22 12:56 AM
cob Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Thanks for some great insight.

Some people go to church and think about fishing. Some go fishing and think about God.
Re: Testing Fly Rods [Re: RexW] #14398607 06/20/22 02:29 AM
D
didja getny Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Great advice Rex. Even when a lot of other people rave about a rod doesn't mean you'll like it. I will underscore your recommendation to pick a rod that feels good to you and is suitable for what you will be doing most of the time. Again, excellent advice.

Rex, am I remembering correctly that you chase striper from time to time? I'd love to hear your thoughts on finding fish. I been putting in a lot of time trying to up my game and would be interested in what you might have to say. Thanks - Chuck

Re: Testing Fly Rods [Re: RexW] #14400197 06/21/22 05:24 PM
R
RexW Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
Chuck, yes, I do like to fish Texoma. Unfortunately, due to a boat issue, I have not been out recently. So, I don't know any current patterns, but I'll comment on the usual trends.

The Stripers follow seasonal patterns. We should be in the summer pattern right now. I like to get on the water as early as possible. The Striper will school up and chase shad on to the points and the rocks on the Texas side. You can usually get some topwater action, which is a whole lot of fun on a fly rod. But, you make catch more fish in the 5 to 10 foot depth range. Which point and which rock face location can vary by day. This bite usually ends once the sun clears the horizon, so, it pays to get out there early.

Once the sun comes up you have several options. Watching the comments on the bait and lure section and you can get information on the general area of the lake is best at any given time. But here are some general comments and options

- Fish deep - You can use electronics to find the fish in 15 to 20 feet of water in the summer. Use the fastest sinking line you can find and you can catch these fish. But, personally, I just don't find using a fly rod at these depths to be much fun. You basically cast and then watch your watch for 90 seconds or so waiting for everything to sink. Then you can start stripping in the line.

- Chase the birds (and other boats) - The gulls will flock to where the Stripers have pushed the shad to the surface. Casting a fly to schooling Stripers is a lot of fun, but you may be fishing in a crowd. Keep a pair of binoculars in your boat and sometimes you'll get lucky and find a school that you'll have to yourself. They tend to surface and go back down quickly before surfacing again near by. This type of fishing can be fun with a fly rod.

- Smallmouth - Those same points and rocks the Striper used early in the morning, usually hold smallmouth bass. When the Striper leave, I usually move closer to the rocks and cast for smallmouth before moving somewhere else. They will take the same shad imitation flies as the Stripers.

- Chase the smaller Striper schools - Schools of smaller, younger Stripers can often be found in the backs of some of the coves. They can be a lot of fun with a fly rod. You will not catch any trophies, but they'll hit a fly aggressively.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Testing Fly Rods [Re: RexW] #14402813 06/24/22 12:16 AM
D
didja getny Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
That's a great how-to for anyone interested in catching stripes! Thanks Rex!

I had another thought regarding your OP: Closeouts! When manufacturers discontinue a line of rods, often they can be snapped up at decent discounts. Considering the ridiculously high prices of brand name rods, this can be an excellent time to visit a shop and try a rod you might not normally consider. I'm not willing to pay what it takes to get the latest and greatest but I've purchase quite a few really nice rods when closed out. Just a thought.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide