Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
After dark monster quest #14396495 06/17/22 01:28 PM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
So... as y'all know it's hot out there. Fishing is a bit challenging these days with the heat on in North Texas. The best way I know to combat that is to switch things up and do a little fishin in the dark. BCB and I are going to do just that tonight. Gonna try and get some live bait to throw up shallow and see if we can get the illusive Lavon Flathead to come out and play.

Looking at the Navionics app and planning out some good structure spots with shallow water structure and some deeper water close by. Might try and throw some up near the bank and some out a little deeper...

Stay tuned for a report tomorrow!

Catfish Tim
๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ
Romans 8:1

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: After dark monster quest [Re: Catfish Tim] #14396672 06/17/22 04:17 PM
F
Fishin' Nut Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
Good luck. Is the humidity as bad there as here in Alabama? Monday was 114 heat index.

Originally Posted by OTFF
He is truly a sick individual.
Re: After dark monster quest [Re: Catfish Tim] #14396768 06/17/22 06:10 PM
Bluecat Bob Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I can't wait to get out and try our luck in the dark!

'Here kitty kitty.....'

Hoping we can snag at least one flathead.

fish

Last edited by Bluecat Bob; 06/17/22 06:10 PM.

Retired from the grind and enjoying life and the great outdoors ### Formerly Texas Brit ###
Re: After dark monster quest [Re: Catfish Tim] #14396812 06/17/22 06:47 PM
S
stoneman2 Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Sitting here waiting on the edge of my seat for the report

Me and momma have a long overdue date night
And itโ€™s family stuff with the kids tomorrow and Sunday
So it may be a couple weeks before I catch you boys out there

Good luck
Hope you catch a monster

Come check out my Youtube channel , Just an old country boy and his family either fishing , hunting , camping or just boating around in a allweld grizzly with a surface drive pushing it to explore the backwaters most people do not venture ...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1RhsBeR3BcSwLx72hqkQkw/featured
Re: After dark monster quest [Re: Catfish Tim] #14396902 06/17/22 08:34 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Good teaser! Looking forward to the post. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: After dark monster quest [Re: Catfish Tim] #14397301 06/18/22 12:46 PM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
UPDATE... BCB and I got our a$$ handed to us... roflmao

I got to the marina about 4:00. Fixed an issue with my trolling motor. Good to go right? Wrong. Went to start the boat, zip, zero, nada. No power. Batteries were dead. Seems when we were last out there working on the wireless MOB system, I left the power on. I thought; "but I had the charger plugged in"??? Note to self. When you get a new boat, make sure the battery conditioner is turned on. Mine was not so even though I was plugging it in, it was not charging. bang

So out technical problems aside, I loaded 3 coolers and 7 bags of ice onto Dock Holiday and BCB and I caught a few bream at the dock for some live bait. Next, off to get some shad. I honestly don't know where the H - E - Double Hockey Sticks those cotton pickin things have gone. I threw the net a bunch and ended up losing it to a snag. You guys back me up on this, when the brail lines start snapping you just hold on a cuss. Lost a new net (again) not the first, won't be the last. Anyway, back to our story. We ended up with a half dozen 5 inch shad, 3 or 4 good bream and some experimental bait.

[Linked Image]

Yup, that is chicken, plain and strawberry jello...

So we headed north of the Lucas Road bridge to set up. The idea being that were between the spawning grounds and the feeding areas they would be hitting when coming off the nest. Weather was nice, hot but nice, light winds. Surface temps were 92 degrees! We got set up and got lines out 2 live baits, one bream and one shad. 2 cut baits, and 2 chicken. Then the weather changed...

The storms that popped up East of the Metroplex were moving back to the west. We had a nice show watching them roll across Ray Hubbard but they never got up to us. The outflow from the storms however turned the calm water into 2 foot rollers hitting us broadside. The kingpin anchors did a great job. I was very happy with how they performed.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Bottom line, we set there being patient until almost 2:00 AM. BCB boated the skunk buster at around midnight. A 5 pound female blue still full of eggs. That would be the one and only fish of the night.

It pains me to say that BCB is the only man who has caught a fish in my new boat! That has got to change...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Despite the catch rate, or lack thereof, we had a great time as usual. Just being on the water watching the sunset and the moonrise enjoying good conversation and the cooler night air is a blessing. Can't wait to do it again BCB!

God Bless & Tight Lines Y'all...

Catfish Tim
๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ
Romans 8:1

Re: After dark monster quest [Re: Catfish Tim] #14397343 06/18/22 01:40 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
coolphotos Despite the slow bite, time very well spent. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: After dark monster quest [Re: Catfish Tim] #14397461 06/18/22 04:27 PM
S
steveiam Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
I enjoyed the pics, glad yโ€™all were able to get out there-

What has happed to you does not define who you are-

HOW you react to what happens to you DOES!
Re: After dark monster quest [Re: Catfish Tim] #14397490 06/18/22 05:16 PM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
OK guys!

Here's a tip. Definitely night time is the best while its smokin' during the day. Elena just got into Egypt Thursday afternoon & said the heat is so bad, it makes you shiver. She only has a big poiwerful fan in her ropom (I assume ceiling fan which is reversible). She said she had to set it to where the breeze would come down the walls instead of direct, so no AC obviously. She noted she had no idea how long she could tolerate this much heat.

Currently, on my Catfish Calendar, YC days are 16/17/18/19 (Thursday thru Sunday). YC days are also good BlueCat days, as per my findings over the years.

However, my separate PYC days (Lynn's Personal YellowCat day), according to their in-bred "roam-feed circuit switch, the pattern falls on 19/20 (Sun/Mon) which is YC/ZIP on calendar. In this heat, you are looking for Yellows to strike the most after midnight, maybe two hours later. And looking at the moon, the 20th is Last Qtr. The best would have been New Moon. If closer to the Full Moon, they bite a few hours delayed.

If you catch a Gator Gar in the midst, (if one is in the area), you are about 2 hours ahead of the Yellows biting. And perch (medium to large 4 to 6" long) as for me is the ticket. If not, a super shiner (humongous shiner about 4 to 6" long).

Bleedover works up to 12 hours ahead & 12 hours past, so the early Saturday run is gonbe, but Sat/Sun (overnight) should be good & even into Sun/Mon (overnight).

Also, if you have caught big Yellows (30+) in a specific area or know of somne that habve been, then that is your target area. Smaller ones roam much more. If near a creek, they may run the channel. You can also find them on their harder paths or trails (not muddy) as to what is on the bottom. They tend to like rubbing their belly against something that does not give.

Good Luck tonight or Sunday night if you decide to go!!!

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: After dark monster quest [Re: Catfish Tim] #14397583 06/18/22 07:19 PM
Bluecat Bob Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I was so excited to get on the water last night and it did not disappoint, even though there bite was slow.

God treated us both to a smorgasbord of different treats, thunder and lightning, wind blowing, colored skies and a super bright moon, it was spectacular.

I always defer to Tim on the 'strategy' but we discussed the plan and I was 110% on board - fishing the creak bed in the cove that we hoped would be a catfish motorway. I was once again incredulous that the bigger bait was so hard to come by. Normally its fairly easy to get decent bait this time of year, but we just couldn't spot them.

One important thing worth mentioning was the water temperature. We knew it would likely be way higher, but we found that the coves to be up at 92F!!! I wondered if the fish had mostly spawned already and maybe had headed to deeper cooler water? Maybe the shad had gone deep to get cooler water?

I felt Tim's pain when his $120 net got snagged and was lost. Tim just shrugged his shoulders, laughed, and said 'the price of doing business. I would have cried - lol!

It was incredibly hot but the breeze kept us cool and also kept the bugs down thank goodness - we must have drank twenty bottles of fluid between us. I have just enjoyed a 4 hour nap on my couch. These old bones were whooped by the time we called it a day.

More time on the water and our time for some lake monsters will come.

Retired from the grind and enjoying life and the great outdoors ### Formerly Texas Brit ###
Re: After dark monster quest [Re: Catfish Tim] #14397613 06/18/22 08:13 PM
Z
z289sec Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Z
Losing a net absolutely sucks brother. I feel your pain there. I think I'm going to go out in the morning and try and get on the lake around 4 a.m. Should have shad in the cooler and on the first spot by 5, or 5:30. Plan on being off the lake by 9 or 10. I work out in the heat, so I don't enjoy being on the lake when it's this hot. I do have a new front shade rigged up I'll post some pics of tomorrow, to go along with the bimini. So, at least I won't be getting burnt up too. Gonna work shallower structure early, and if it don't pan out by sunrise, gonna suspend and drag some elevated baits across the humps.

Re: After dark monster quest [Re: Catfish Tim] #14397645 06/18/22 08:46 PM
Bluecat Bob Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
A picture of our giant, Catfish Tim on his new ship just prior to the sun going down...

[Linked Image]

Re: After dark monster quest [Re: Catfish Tim] #14397743 06/18/22 11:07 PM
rebait Offline
Angler
Angler
Great photo. What's that hairy monster crawling up the bottom left of the picture. Must be the secret bait.

Re: After dark monster quest [Re: Catfish Tim] #14397942 06/19/22 12:41 PM
K
KEGracing Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
A few new boat blues and learning lessons are always part of it Tim. Glad you got them handled and on the water.
Thanks for the pics. Boat looks great and God put on a nice show!
I see some good fish coming soon buddy!

Happy Father's Day all!

Ken

2014 Premier Alante 235 RF tritoon. Momma's boat. But I get to fish on her.

A country boy will survive... but those who cross him?

Cedar Creek personal best:
Blue Cat 31.55 lbs
Hybrid 6.2 lbs
Crappie 2.1 lbs
Tennessee River Blue 45.7
Re: After dark monster quest [Re: Catfish Tim] #14397984 06/19/22 01:17 PM
S
skeetmaster Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Man, June must obviously be "off-season" for catfish! I think I'm gonna put off ALL of my honey-do projects until next June so I don't have any spare time to tempt me into going catfishing. Tough bites and long, hot days! Come on fall 2022!

Tim, I'm afraid if I was on the boat with you guys Friday night, I probably would've been sleeping. That boat looks so comfortable! You know, we could do a Tennesse/Alabama trip and not even need a hotel! Couple of roll up egg crate cushions, pillows and sheets and we got a Wotel (motel on the water!). Seriously though, looking forward to getting on the water with you. That night fishing looks really good right now even if the bite isn't so good. I love how refreshing the night air is when it's so hot during the day. I'll hit you up pretty soon!

Hope everyone has had a great Father's Day weekend!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide