K
Kattelyn Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
Little Psycho Coffee
K
Originally Posted by gander
Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW
Originally Posted by Fishin' Nut
A preppers trick is to coat eggs with vegetable oil. Then they can be stored in a non refrigerated area for up to a year.

Raw eggs? Interesting.

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think this applies to store bought eggs..?

Correct. When you wash the "bloom" off eggs, they become air permeable. This is why the vegetable oil trick works, but you wouldn't want to do it in an oil that was inedible or rancid.

In answer to the original post, Who said I quit stockpiling from Covid? I've Always got a few months of meals on hand where I wouldn't have to go to the store for a while. Beans, rice, canned goods, great big chest freezer. I've been picking up sunflower and avocado oils.. just a little extra here and there. They're going to get expensive. You can freeze flour to keep the bugs out of it. Just stick it in a sealed baggie first.

Re: Non-Perishables [Re: Pilothawk] #14396687 06/17/22 04:40 PM
F
Flags Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
F
I am not stockpiling anything. Stockpiling holds you in one place. I learned in the military to keep a blow out kit packed and I have a good supply of 308 ammo and 22 ammo. If the SHTF I'm headed to a remote spot with good water (already picked out with a cache in place) to begin with. I'll let the city dwellers and North American Pavement Apes kill each other. I can hunt what I need and if I have ammo and it is a really dire situation I'll simply use the ammo to take what I need and keep moving. Those that stay in one place won't last long.

Retired Navy Chief Signalman
NJROTC Instructor Tascosa High School
Re: Non-Perishables [Re: Flags] #14396712 06/17/22 05:08 PM
Happykamper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
If I run out of food I will just go eat out lol. I do own some properties that have lots of game on them, can also catch a lot of fish, I think I could survive for a long time, you guys worry too much, no matter what happens everything gonna be alright. cheers

[Linked Image]
Re: Non-Perishables [Re: Pilothawk] #14396715 06/17/22 05:11 PM
M
Monty Wright Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
I bet Y2K really messed with some of ya'll

[Linked Image]

Half Past First Cast
^^^Worth a look^^^
Re: Non-Perishables [Re: Pilothawk] #14396755 06/17/22 05:47 PM
U
UGLYSHCTICK Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
U
from what I know about my ancestry, some have died in some very stupid ways. Starvation has not been one of them.

Just want to make folks smile, and spit coffee on their keyboard.

If you put beans in your chili, you don't know beans about chili.

God doesn't create temporary people, you will spend eternity somewhere. Choose wisely.
Re: Non-Perishables [Re: Monty Wright] #14396815 06/17/22 06:48 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Monty Wright

No kiddin. A few of them are the “red flags” people keep taking about.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Non-Perishables [Re: Monty Wright] #14396821 06/17/22 06:59 PM
B
BrandoA Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Monty Wright

this made me chuckle

Re: Non-Perishables [Re: UGLYSHCTICK] #14396826 06/17/22 07:04 PM
R
redace1 Offline
Angler
Angler
R
Originally Posted by UGLYSHCTICK
from what I know about my ancestry, some have died in some very stupid ways. Starvation has not been one of them.

roflmao

Momma always said......
Re: Non-Perishables [Re: Trickster] #14396828 06/17/22 07:07 PM
F
Floon Swenson Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted by Trickster
Originally Posted by Floon Swenson
A preppers trick is to coat eggs with vegetable oil. Then they can be stored in a non refrigerated area for up to a year.

If you get raw eggs that haven't been washed, like straight from the chicken, those store unrefrigerated, as well.

The key to keeping them fresh is to flip them occasionally, making sure the yolk doesn't rest on the same side of the egg the entire time you store it.

I had you pegged as a yolk flipper.

I am, as my father was before me and his father before him.

It's really the only thing we've been known to do well.

Re: Non-Perishables [Re: TexDawg] #14396834 06/17/22 07:18 PM
S
Spiderman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by TexDawg
I leave this up to my wife, that way if we starve to death I can finally blame her for something

Good Luck with that, blame her with your dying breath.

The Truth is six of the seven Dwarfs are not Happy!
Re: Non-Perishables [Re: Kattelyn] #14396836 06/17/22 07:21 PM
S
Spiderman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Kattelyn
Originally Posted by gander

Raw eggs? Interesting.

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think this applies to store bought eggs..?

Correct. When you wash the "bloom" off eggs, they become air permeable. This is why the vegetable oil trick works, but you wouldn't want to do it in an oil that was inedible or rancid.

In answer to the original post, Who said I quit stockpiling from Covid? I've Always got a few months of meals on hand where I wouldn't have to go to the store for a while. Beans, rice, canned goods, great big chest freezer. I've been picking up sunflower and avocado oils.. just a little extra here and there. They're going to get expensive. You can freeze flour to keep the bugs out of it. Just stick it in a sealed baggie first.

If you store it in a gallon freezer bag, won’t that keep the bugs out?

The Truth is six of the seven Dwarfs are not Happy!
Re: Non-Perishables [Re: Pilothawk] #14396842 06/17/22 07:29 PM
K
Kattelyn Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
Little Psycho Coffee
K
Originally Posted by Spiderman

You're assuming there's no contaminating eggs in there already. The eggs are normally laid in the kernel in the field and some can survive processing.

Re: Non-Perishables [Re: Kattelyn] #14396853 06/17/22 07:40 PM
921 Phoenix Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

You're assuming there's no contaminating eggs in there already. The eggs are normally laid in the kernel in the field and some can survive processing.

if you have fresh eggs won't they stay a long time if you don't wash then till you cook them? I always heard for nearly a year

Re: Non-Perishables [Re: 921 Phoenix] #14396857 06/17/22 07:44 PM
K
Kattelyn Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
Little Psycho Coffee
K
Originally Posted by 921 Phoenix

if you have fresh eggs won't they stay a long time if you don't wash then till you cook them? I always heard for nearly a year

Yup. There's a protective coating on freshly laid poultry eggs called a "bloom" that is impermeable barrier. When you wash the eggs, you're washing off that coating.

Re: Non-Perishables [Re: Bigbob_FTW] #14398422 06/19/22 09:53 PM
J
JCBYEN Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by Tneel
Have a pepper buddy that has sealed 55 gallon drums of beans,rice and Ramen noodles. Tons of ammo and gold,silver

If it gets that bad I'd rather go.

My thoughts also. Think quality of life.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide