Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
How much $ before you'd rethink a day trip? #14394834 06/15/22 06:39 PM
B
bockscar Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
So this economy has me wondering if I like bass fishing and owning a boat as much as I previously thought I did! LOL

To take a day trip itll cost me about $80-90 round trip. If I wanna stay overnight add another $65 for a [censored] motel 6 room. so $80 for a day trip and $145 for a 2 day trip. Would these costs effect how often youd go fishing? they officially have for me

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: How much $ before you'd rethink a day trip? [Re: bockscar] #14394845 06/15/22 06:47 PM
Happykamper Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by bockscar
So this economy has me wondering if I like bass fishing and owning a boat as much as I previously thought I did! LOL

To take a day trip itll cost me about $80-90 round trip. If I wanna stay overnight add another $65 for a [censored] motel 6 room. so $80 for a day trip and $145 for a 2 day trip. Would these costs effect how often youd go fishing? they officially have for me

I guess it would depend on your financial status and how bad you want to go fishing.

[Linked Image]
Re: How much $ before you'd rethink a day trip? [Re: Happykamper] #14394851 06/15/22 06:50 PM
B
bockscar Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by Happykamper

I guess it would depend on your financial status and how bad you want to go fishing.

I hear youre a baller...figure this inflation is probably a mild annoyance at worst for someone well off! LOL

I was thinking of going tomorrow. That cost and the weather made me rethink this week.

So.....how much would it have to cost to make HappyKamper stay home?

Re: How much $ before you'd rethink a day trip? [Re: bockscar] #14394889 06/15/22 07:19 PM
J
Jonah's View Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
I’m sorry to hear folks having to come to this, I believe it is the desired response of the evil regime perpetuating this man caused increase to American fuel prices to punish us, there is no reason for it. Fortunately for me the wife and I are DINKs and can afford the additional expense of “the pursuit of happiness”... they have taken away so much of America’s joy, I’m not giving up my time on the water! (DINK = duel income no kids )

Maranatha !
Re: How much $ before you'd rethink a day trip? [Re: bockscar] #14394903 06/15/22 07:30 PM
C
ChanceHuiet Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
C
It's not the cost of the trip that's keeping me off the water. It's the fear of my 2006 HPDI blowing up again and really being out of commission for months.

Originally Posted by lakeforkfisherman
I can backlash toilet paper.
Re: How much $ before you'd rethink a day trip? [Re: bockscar] #14394904 06/15/22 07:31 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Sad times for many people in America.

#MFGA
Re: How much $ before you'd rethink a day trip? [Re: bockscar] #14394909 06/15/22 07:35 PM
F
flashman252 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
80-90 Round trip.... I WISH!!!! Closest lake is 132 mi for me and with diesel at 5.65/gal and it costing $160 to fill my truck, I am to the lake and back at that cost. Plus I have to put a little more fuel in the truck after the round trip for the rest of the week to work, especially after towing the boat. I always say, a day trip to the lake right now is roughly a $250 day. Hasn't stopped me but what has is all the house projects I have been getting done this summer. It was just time to take a summer and focus on these things and stop putting them off. New fencing, moving irrigation line, and concrete pours for a new patio have taken priority..... One day I will get to go fishing again.

Re: How much $ before you'd rethink a day trip? [Re: bockscar] #14394913 06/15/22 07:38 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T

wouldn't slow me down............
BUT, I can be on a handful of great lakes in less than an hour from my house.

Re: How much $ before you'd rethink a day trip? [Re: bockscar] #14394934 06/15/22 07:57 PM
B
Bass Buster1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
We can afford the trips but are being careful and fishing at home (Ray Roberts) most of the time. I have a one hour commute to work in my F250 gasser which was no big deal 2 years go. I figured my average weekly fuel cost yesterday at $4.60 a gallon with work and church and recreation, etc...and I am at $300 a week in fuel just to live and do what I do. Add to that a high tax bracket (simply because we both work, me a blue collar shop stiff and her a nurse), the cost of property taxes going through the roof, a gallon of milk at $4.00 and change, all of the stuff we are dealing with and it is definitely getting to a point where limiting fun is important. We are the same as the guy above, two good incomes and no kids at home any more but it is horrible what is going on all because the last guy didn't talk to people nice so he got replaced by a string puppet. If you voted to replace the mean guy, are you happy with your decision?

See you on the lake and have a great day!
Re: How much $ before you'd rethink a day trip? [Re: bockscar] #14394937 06/15/22 07:58 PM
L
LeonSulak Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
The economy wont stop me from fishing the same amount as I do. It may change how many tournaments, which lakes due to distance, and how heavy my foot pushes down on the pedal.
Heck, if it went to $20 a gallon I wouldnt ever start the outboard but I would fish every weekend. Im sure Elon Musk has a plan for Tesla outboards too.

Last edited by LeonSulak; 06/15/22 08:02 PM.

Re: How much $ before you'd rethink a day trip? [Re: Txduckhunter] #14394940 06/15/22 08:00 PM
B
bockscar Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by Jonah's View
I’m sorry to hear folks having to come to this, I believe it is the desired response of the evil regime perpetuating this man caused increase to American fuel prices to punish us, there is no reason for it. Fortunately for me the wife and I are DINKs and can afford the additional expense of “the pursuit of happiness”... they have taken away so much of America’s joy, I’m not giving up my time on the water! (DINK = duel income no kids )

its not that bad...and the 100+ degree forecast wasnt helping the cause...but I did think about the fill up cost when I was considering it. I dont think its ever crossed my mind before today....i got my boat and truck with fuel costs in mind so I did all my worrying about expenses before I purchased...but it did cross my mind this week how much itd cost to fill up and how much id burn round trip.

Originally Posted by ChanceHuiet
It's not the cost of the trip that's keeping me off the water. It's the fear of my 2006 HPDI blowing up again and really being out of commission for months.

Boat problems are the worst...especially if you dont have a good mechanic! give you anxiety of it being fixed right on top of the cost! I feel your pain! LOL

Originally Posted by flashman252
80-90 Round trip.... I WISH!!!! Closest lake is 132 mi for me and with diesel at 5.65/gal and it costing $160 to fill my truck, I am to the lake and back at that cost. Plus I have to put a little more fuel in the truck after the round trip for the rest of the week to work, especially after towing the boat. I always say, a day trip to the lake right now is roughly a $250 day. Hasn't stopped me but what has is all the house projects I have been getting done this summer. It was just time to take a summer and focus on these things and stop putting them off. New fencing, moving irrigation line, and concrete pours for a new patio have taken priority..... One day I will get to go fishing again.

my home lake is 136 miles away, so I feel you on that one. Got me a sissy truck (I drive a lot) with no 4wd and a v6 with fuel in mind. Finally busted the $100 mark a couple weeks back....i burn about 85% of a tank round trip. Im feeling the pain at $80ish round trip....id probably be walking everywhere if I had your truck! LOL

Originally Posted by Txduckhunter

wouldn't slow me down............
BUT, I can be on a handful of great lakes in less than an hour from my house.

2 hour each way is the closest for me unfortunately. Hours not a bad trip....takes me 40 minutes to get from one side of town to the other depending where im at....but 2 hours sucks! LOL

Re: How much $ before you'd rethink a day trip? [Re: bockscar] #14394942 06/15/22 08:02 PM
L
LeonSulak Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
Maybe gas prices will help the pressure on Ivie.

Re: How much $ before you'd rethink a day trip? [Re: Happykamper] #14394946 06/15/22 08:07 PM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Happykamper

Hasn't stopped or slowed me down yet. Have noticed a drop off in the amount of people we have entering local club tournys though.

Re: How much $ before you'd rethink a day trip? [Re: LeonSulak] #14394949 06/15/22 08:08 PM
B
bockscar Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by Bass Buster1
We can afford the trips but are being careful and fishing at home (Ray Roberts) most of the time. I have a one hour commute to work in my F250 gasser which was no big deal 2 years go. I figured my average weekly fuel cost yesterday at $4.60 a gallon with work and church and recreation, etc...and I am at $300 a week in fuel just to live and do what I do. Add to that a high tax bracket (simply because we both work, me a blue collar shop stiff and her a nurse), the cost of property taxes going through the roof, a gallon of milk at $4.00 and change, all of the stuff we are dealing with and it is definitely getting to a point where limiting fun is important. We are the same as the guy above, two good incomes and no kids at home any more but it is horrible what is going on all because the last guy didn't talk to people nice so he got replaced by a string puppet. If you voted to replace the mean guy, are you happy with your decision?

I get you....and hate buying eggs now! LOL

I can afford it, no problem at all...but it got me to thinking. Because I really did buy my boat, and then my "new" truck with fuel costs in mind....ive never cared or gave second thought to gassing up....didnt even mind paying the $1ish more per tank for high performance ethanol free gas my boat likes....but it did cross my mind this week, which got me thinking. My home lakes tough in the summer, 100+ degree forecast in a bass boat with no trees or hope for shade all day.....and then gas prices....yea, Im gonna stay home and do some stuff around the house i been putting off

Originally Posted by LeonSulak
The economy wont stop me from fishing the same amount as I do. It may change how many tournaments, which lakes due to distance, and how heavy my foot pushes down on the pedal.
Heck, if it went to $20 a gallon I wouldnt ever start the outboard but I would fish every weekend. Im sure Elon Musk has a plan for Tesla outboards too.

I wonder if the tourney scene has started taking a hit? Gas started getting crazy about when tourney fishing time started kicking off

Re: How much $ before you'd rethink a day trip? [Re: bockscar] #14394954 06/15/22 08:12 PM
S
Skeeter John Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I'm guessing if you sink $75K+ into a truck and $75k+ into a boat, you better be able to afford a $150 trip.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide