F
also, know what you want

Re: Buy now or wait? [Re: Holzer] #14393396 06/14/22 12:35 PM
F
Flip Flop Fisher Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Buddy of mine and his wife did exactly what you are thinking..incidentally their son made it to the majors a few days ago after being drafted 6 years ago..Chris Okey, Cincinnati Reds

Re: Buy now or wait? [Re: Holzer] #14393424 06/14/22 12:55 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
pros, you can come and go as you please as long as there is a space to be had. you get to cook/eat what you want. you can use it to camp/fish/travel.

cons, have to have a place to store, pain to pull in traffic (wait till you get to pull it in a high cross wind), fuel will be stupid high cost as nothing gets good mileage pulling one, extra wear and tear on the tow vehicle, have to set up and take down as well as have grey and black water drained and it is best done at the rv park you stay at, have to remember to treat black water tank or the big stinkum comes. there are things I am forgetting but end result is you will have maintenance no matter if you use it or not so figure the number of nights you would use it along with probable mileage/fuel cost for all tournaments, all the minor expenses like storage etc. and see if it actually saves you anything. you will take about an hr. to set up and a little more to get ready to leave (draining tanks takes a few mins.) figure about 3 hrs. a trip for this.

Re: Buy now or wait? [Re: Holzer] #14393507 06/14/22 02:11 PM
H
Holzer Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
H
Once I leave the office for the day, take a guess where I go? Yep, straight to the ball fields. So I wasn't able to keep up yesterday evening.
To follow up on a few responses:

Originally Posted by bigrebar
Are these one night trips?
I just looked around Tomball, where you said one tournament was held, the nightly rates on 4 of the nearest RV parks I found was $47 to $69 a night. Don't forget to calculate that in your budget.

The team my daughter is on has one day tournaments at times. But my sons tournaments are always a two-day tournament. Son plays Perfect Game tournaments and those usually pull more teams as I’ve been told they are higher quality ball. Girls just don’t have as much of the participation as the boys do. So their tourneys can be much smaller.

Originally Posted by spacejunkie
Have you looked at aibnb’s? May not be cheaper than a hotel but you can fix meals there.

I have. And sometimes you can find a small house for about the same or close to the same cost has the hotel. But then there are the fee’s that they tack on that make it as much as $50 - $75 more a night. Cleaning fees can range anywhere from $50 - $150. And we travel with a dog. Some places will even say no service animals allowed.

Originally Posted by Stump jumper

When I go to Chicken Express in Rockwall I use coupons. A 4 piece strip meal with a coupon went from $6.99 to $7.99 a few months ago and is now $8.99. Dominoes still has good deals with coupons but without coupons they rape you. I tried calling in a medium pizza for pickup without a coupon and they wanted $15. I told them to stick it. Order online and use coupon and same pizza was 7.99.

I’ll admit it I don’t do a lot of coupons. I just don’t ever have any come my way. But I do have a coupon that I have saved in my phone and have been using now for about 3 years. It is with Pizza Hut and is coupon PQ. It gives you 30% off. My son and I like the wings more than we do the pizza. So 30% off of those helps!

Originally Posted by deerfeeder
Have you considered something like this?

https://www.cruiseamerica.com/buy-used-rvs

Ya, no interest in going that route. There’s probably already enough maintenance in an RV that I don’t know about yet. To add on mechanical maintenance on top of that, I don’t want to do that.

Originally Posted by Spiderman
He could be booking two rooms?

Hilton has Double tree and Hampton Inn and Suites, that’s where we usually stay.

Become. a member and collect points and status.

They have breakfast and supper, free once you have stayed there awhile.

Showers in RV’s usually suck compared to a hotel.

My parents recently stayed at a hotel in Vernon when they went to go watch a graduation. Dad said his LaQuinta Inn was $130/night. Now that’s probably with his military discount.
Like I told him, for whatever reason Austin & Houston hotel prices seem to be higher.

Holzer
My pic is gone frown
Re: Buy now or wait? [Re: Holzer] #14393615 06/14/22 03:22 PM
F
flashman252 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
If you are paying cash and not taking a loan on this one, then I would wait. As most have mentioned, interest is going up for all loans. Usually when interest rises, prices go down because people cannot justify high prices and high interest rates. So demand goes down, so prices drop. Since interest may not be a factor for you because you are going to pay cash for it, then wait til the prices drop with interest rates going up, and you can probably get something a little bigger or better for the same cash amount you are willing to pay today.

Re: Buy now or wait? [Re: Holzer] #14393638 06/14/22 03:38 PM
F
flashman252 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Econ 101-

Buyers market = Lower prices, higher interest

Sellers market = Higher prices, lower interest

In both cases, the banks make their money somehow. The question you have to ask yourself is what is more important? Do you want a large loan with super low interest or do you want a smaller loan with higher interest. Personally, I wait for a lower price on the loan and would rather pay higher interest. When the market adjusts out of a seller market, I never like being upside down on loans. I like knowing I can sell anything and at least break even. Seller market buys make sense though if you plan on owning the loan/investment for a very very long time. It is the situations where you need to get out or sell within a couple years where people take losses or get themself in trouble.

STOCKS/ETF/INDEX FUNDS:

Bull market - I invest 50% of what I can afford (every paycheck) into long term investments, and the other 50% I swing trade or day trade (careful with short term investments, I spent over a year teaching myself how to read charts and how to do this with paper trading, but once you get it, there is some serious money to be made doing this).

Bear Market - I invest 100% of what I can afford into long term investments, and if I can scrape anymore cash up, I also invest at this time. When the market comes back, this is when you see exponential return because everything you buy in a bear market is a discount.

Re: Buy now or wait? [Re: Holzer] #14393689 06/14/22 04:00 PM
D
DI Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
Toys - Boats, TTs, ATVs and side pieces are fist to go when the wheels fall off the economy.

Re: Buy now or wait? [Re: DI] #14393713 06/14/22 04:20 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Originally Posted by DI
Toys - Boats, TTs, ATVs and side pieces are fist to go when the wheels fall off the economy.

What is the deprecation on your side piece?

Re: Buy now or wait? [Re: Holzer] #14393826 06/14/22 05:24 PM
fisherinok Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Here is my opinion and our experience growing up -

Our family had an RV and we traveled for sports. We took the RV for a couple of trips and then abondoned the idea. The RV was just to combursome. It was difficult enough to get out of school or for my parents to get off work and make it to the town in time for the 1st race. With the RV we couldn't travel as fast, had to go to the campground and drop it off because there was never anywhere to park it and then after a long weekend of racing we had to go back and tear it all down before leaving which made the weekend even longer. Then they had the idea of my dad pulled the RV and went straight to the campground to setup and my mom drove us in her car. So now we are taking two cars and one of them pulling the camper - there was no savings there.

I hear you on savings money on food so here is what we did - my parents instead invested in better camping / travel food prep equipment and we upgraded to suite hotel rooms that had kitchens. They had it down to two plastic tubs and a cooler. We had a foldup propane grill, extra plates, grilling utensils in one of the tubs and the other held the dry food stuff - sides, buns, etc. We made it our goal to eat breakfast at the hotel using the kitchen and then one of the other meals from the grill. Sometimes my dad grilled off the tailgate in the parking lot. After a trip or two more parents invested in our setup also. Given this was 20 years ago I am sure the tailgating/camping equipment is much better.

Re: Buy now or wait? [Re: Holzer] #14394239 06/15/22 01:16 AM
R
Rayzor Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted by Holzer
All this talk about the market, recession, interest rates, etc. I'm not sure how what to anticipate how that will affect cost of things in the near future.

I'm looking to buy a 5th wheel RV. Am I better off buying as soon as I can because things are about to hit the fan and prices will soar or wait because when this economy takes a dump, prices will plunge?
I need some economics 101 thrown at me.

I don't mind buying used but I probably will not go older than a 2018 - 2019.
For what I want, I could pay cash in full, but if interest rates are really low, I don't mind financing some of the cost just to keep some money free.

Look at pre-owned models. Brand new RVs always have problems. A used RV will have all of these problems taken care of.

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Re: Buy now or wait? [Re: Holzer] #14394351 06/15/22 03:49 AM
P
patriot07 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
RV market will be in the dumps in 6 months compared to right now. Definitely wait. I've been telling folks for months that when all these covid rv buyers realize they don't wanna do it long term there is gonna be a flooded market. Now with gas prices sky high that is accelerating. Market is wildly different than just 3 months ago. I seen folks putting orders in on units paying full MSRP 2 months ago to take a new unit now...and I just shake my head. Could easily save 30%-40% buying a used market in 3-6 months from now. If money doesn't matter, I guess that's fine. Otherwise, you'd be crazy to buy at this point.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide