Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Finishing the Shake Down #14393701 06/14/22 04:13 PM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Okay y'all, I am almost back in fish mode...

I picked up the new boat on Thursday June 2nd. Spent the next couple days installing the add ons. Saturday the 4th, I did the first 2 hours of the motor break in. For the next eight hours now I just need to vary the RPM and not run WOT more than 5 minutes at a time. So I had real problems with the electronics. The Lowrance Hook 2 fish finder IMHO is junk. There are zero adjustments to improve the product on the screen. I bought a 12" version to augment the 7" that the boat came with. I returned it, thank you to Academy Sports for the easy process there. I went back to the Elite FS that I had on the old boat. Running the transducer cable was a pain in the a$$. My daughter and I spent 3 1/2 hours Sunday taking the whole dang boat apart to get access to the wire chase and even then, I couldn't get to the last little bit of it. The boat is solidly constructed, that much is for sure. We got the cable run, and yesterday after work we got the transducer mounted. Left the boat up on the lift so the sealant would be able to dry overnight. The last issue I'm having is with the iPilot upgrade to the trolling motor. I have the remote paired, I can engage the motor, but I cannot move the motor left or right. I downloaded the iPilot app so I can try and control it through that and see if I can narrow the problem down to the remote itself.

We had a spot of trouble getting the wireless MOB system to work but figured it out eventually. The wiring on the boat side was not real obvious so it took me a couple tries. I really like the ability to wear that fob like a watch instead of being tethered to the kill switch. I have found a few screws that got over tightened and stripped out (screwed into plastic and they just spun them out. So I need a couple of them replaced with bigger ones and we should be good to go.

The king pin anchors work good with the box anchor out the front of the boat. The ability to store everything out of the way is huge. I did get out to fish one day last week with Blue Cat Bob. We spend 10 hours on the water and it was very comfortable. I have the bait cooler and bait board figured out (for now anyway). The spot/flood up front is great. I love it for catching bait in the dark. The mounts I managed to cobble together for the Mul-T-Bars works pretty good. I had a couple snags while drifting and they didn't flex the gunnel top and they didn't give at all. Happy with the way that turned out. The other good thing is you can easily tell which rod is getting bit because the rod holders and the Mul-T-Bar are solid so all three rods don't flop around when one gets bit. The Bimini is awesome. It sits really stable even at 40 MPH. And in this Texas heat it is a must when out on the water for long periods of time.

I have room for everything under the front deck including 150 foot of anchor rope, two cast nets, each in their own cubby. Two gear bags and the front live well is still empty. The only thing that doesn't fit in a storage hatch is the box anchor. In the back I got all my tackle in one, Planer boards in one and drift sock in one. All this means when we have to fight a fish and get 'em in the boat, there isn't anything in the way of doing that. That, I think, is one of the best features of the boat.

So... Once I get the trolling motor issue resolved, we will be done with the shakedown and ready to get back to serious fishing. I think the timing is good. The spawn started a little early this year and I think it will in large part be ending in the next week or so. It is about to be slime time!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Catfish Tim
🐟🐟"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"🐟🐟
Romans 8:1

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Finishing the Shake Down [Re: Catfish Tim] #14393774 06/14/22 04:50 PM
Bluecat Bob Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I was really impressed with those King Pin anchors, so simple and so easy to deploy, especially the way the brackets just twist and clip onto the hull mountings. Even better that they can all be stored in the side gunnel storage compartments when not in use.

The available rod storage is also pretty impressive. Three heavy duty cat rods and multiplier reals can be stored in each side compartment, and the center bow storage is also able to store no less than four additional rods!

Tim has the combo version of the Targa, with 6 seats and two additional jump seats at the back making 8 in total. When the jump seats are folded down and not is use, there is plenty of room to throw a cast net off the stern as well.

Time for some slime!!!

Retired from the grind and enjoying life and the great outdoors ### Formerly Texas Brit ###
Re: Finishing the Shake Down [Re: Catfish Tim] #14393833 06/14/22 05:31 PM
K
KEGracing Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
Looking good Tim!

I agree with Bob... Slime Time!

Ken

2014 Premier Alante 235 RF tritoon. Momma's boat. But I get to fish on her.

A country boy will survive... but those who cross him?

Cedar Creek personal best:
Blue Cat 31.55 lbs
Hybrid 6.2 lbs
Crappie 2.1 lbs
Tennessee River Blue 45.7
Re: Finishing the Shake Down [Re: Catfish Tim] #14394169 06/14/22 11:37 PM
Z
z289sec Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Z
My remote did the same thing when I changed it over to the Ipilot system, on my Powerdrive. Turned out to be a problem with the steering board in the trolling motor itself. Minn Kota warrantied it through Zach at Southwest Marine Electronics. Hopefully it's something simple, took about 3 weeks to get the parts from Johnson Outdoors, and that was back before all of the shortages. I would imagine those times are longer now.

Have you tried the pin anchors by themselves? Wondering if they would hold. Mine wanted to pull out of the mud.

Last edited by z289sec; 06/14/22 11:38 PM.
Re: Finishing the Shake Down [Re: Catfish Tim] #14394210 06/15/22 12:30 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Neat post. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Finishing the Shake Down [Re: z289sec] #14394371 06/15/22 09:59 AM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by z289sec
My remote did the same thing when I changed it over to the Ipilot system, on my Powerdrive. Turned out to be a problem with the steering board in the trolling motor itself. Minn Kota warrantied it through Zach at Southwest Marine Electronics. Hopefully it's something simple, took about 3 weeks to get the parts from Johnson Outdoors, and that was back before all of the shortages. I would imagine those times are longer now.

Have you tried the pin anchors by themselves? Wondering if they would hold. Mine wanted to pull out of the mud.

David, They might do okay with one mounted on the front and one on the back. I have them both on the back with the intent to use the anchor out front. When I did just put the kingpins out the boat did twist on them a lot and it was calm so I doubt they would work alone like I have them installed. But one front and one in back might could do okay...

Catfish Tim

Re: Finishing the Shake Down [Re: Catfish Tim] #14405018 06/26/22 03:40 PM
S
sowhntr Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Sure do like your setup Tim

Re: Finishing the Shake Down [Re: Catfish Tim] #14405584 06/27/22 10:42 AM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Thanks y'all, I appreciate all the comments...

Catfish Tim

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide