Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What am I doing wrong [Re: jonboatfishing] #14383966 06/03/22 01:46 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L

''''' Swim over the top -- I first drop my jig down to determine the right amount of line to get just above the fish. I'll then grab my line several eyes up from the reel, pull it up the slack and pitch it out and let it drift over the top.''''

Ron that is an excellent technique that I had never really thought of doing, thanks so much for sharing it!!!
pitching a jig to get a natural fall , especially in windy conditions has been something ive done for years, but measuring the line out, so the jig doesnt snag into the brush its just never crossed my mind. simple, but brilliant.!!!
its a 2 pronged attack, first you are fishing the top of a brushpile in a vertical presentation as your measuring for the pitch out, then you do the pitch out. so no time is wasted......... your fishing effectively the whole time.
Ron its hard to believe u have only been crappie fishing for a couple years.!!! thanks for sharing!

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: What am I doing wrong [Re: jonboatfishing] #14384295 06/03/22 06:54 PM
L
Lazy Ike Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
fish Thanks guys for the tips. although i have been crappie fishing for decades, i do keep an open mind. It great that this forum has some great & helpful people. The sport has come a looong way since i was too young to drive& would fish with my parents. Still remember hight fishing with sound of a coleman lantern . I recently got Livescope on the boat, pretty cool, almost like video games. Leanin post iam gonna get some rattles, give em a try. Best of luck ya'll

Re: What am I doing wrong [Re: leanin post] #14384392 06/03/22 08:27 PM
R
Ron Douthit Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted by leanin post

''''' Swim over the top -- I first drop my jig down to determine the right amount of line to get just above the fish. I'll then grab my line several eyes up from the reel, pull it up the slack and pitch it out and let it drift over the top.''''

Ron that is an excellent technique that I had never really thought of doing, thanks so much for sharing it!!!
pitching a jig to get a natural fall , especially in windy conditions has been something ive done for years, but measuring the line out, so the jig doesnt snag into the brush its just never crossed my mind. simple, but brilliant.!!!
its a 2 pronged attack, first you are fishing the top of a brushpile in a vertical presentation as your measuring for the pitch out, then you do the pitch out. so no time is wasted......... your fishing effectively the whole time.
Ron its hard to believe u have only been crappie fishing for a couple years.!!! thanks for sharing!

Thanks leanin post. My learning curve has been steeper than most because I live on the lake and fish 2 to 3 times per week. They say time on the water is the key to success -- I've put over 200 hours on my boat and it is only 2.5 years old.

Re: What am I doing wrong [Re: Lazy Ike] #14384827 06/04/22 01:43 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by Lazy Ike
fish Thanks guys for the tips. although i have been crappie fishing for decades, i do keep an open mind. It great that this forum has some great & helpful people. The sport has come a looong way since i was too young to drive& would fish with my parents. Still remember hight fishing with sound of a coleman lantern . I recently got Livescope on the boat, pretty cool, almost like video games. Leanin post iam gonna get some rattles, give em a try. Best of luck ya'll

the ones I have have 2 seperate rattle chambers that hang off of a central small hole. so when I slide the line thru the hole and then pinch a 1/8th oz or 16th oz sinker under them, I then pinch a BB sinker on top . when u jig, the sinker chambers flare in and out and make sound, the sinkers act as a stop/slap point to make the rattles move up and down. Im not positive but I think I got them from Bonehead tackle company. I looked on thier site recently and they sell a rattle chamber but its not the same as what I have,,,so dont know if they dont carry them anymore...
the chambers are clear in color and abt an inch long,. it took me a while to find them, theres not alot of selection out there for the set up I wanted . something that may be interesting is tying them onto a jig. as ive mentioned crappie have whacked the rattles on several occasions.
it wouldnt be hard to do, just slide the rattle central hole over the hook of the jig, slide it up over the jig body and position it between the head and the body, and glue it in place.. the hole for the rattles assembly is small so glue may not be even needed.. I will post a pic later of what I have in mind.
way back in the day, there was a company that sold a rattle system that was activated by contact with water. Soundbiter Lures I believe.. I had the lure kit.... it had alot of different attachments in it, one was an inline sound rattle that had an eye on both ends and was shaped like a large TIC TAC.. when you screwed the 2 parts together, and put a watch battery inside, and it went into water, it would start making a intermittent clicking sound,,, like shrimp pooping around in a hamper.. . it was unreliable though,, they didnt work, more than they did work, but when the did work, they generated ALOT of strikes, and another interesting fact is most of the world record fish that have been caught, around the planet,. have been caught on sound generating lures. the thing is though, most of the sound generating systems made now are quite large, and used for targeting saltwater fish.
maybe someone will soon make a reliable sound lure that can be used for smaller freshwater fish,, I think a rattle chamber that has a button or switch on it, to turn the sound on or off would be ideal. the soundbite lure system did not click constantly, it would make sound around every 10 0r 15 seconds when it did work, which was great.. I think different substances in the water like algea, slime, different minerals keep the electronics from working sometimes,, if anybody remembers the little sonar unit you could cast out that looked like a plastic float, and you attached a small sonar reciever screen to your rod, or wrist, it had the same problems, the sonar was supposed to power up when the body hit the water by electrically completing the ground circuit.,, they were very unreliable though.

Last edited by leanin post; 06/04/22 01:51 PM.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: What am I doing wrong [Re: jonboatfishing] #14384864 06/04/22 02:48 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
these are the rattles ive been using,, not having luck finding where I got them over a year ago,, if anyone can find these particular rattles please let me know.,,. also the plastic jig is called a SHADPOLE,, its a Wally Marshall creation, I caught some WHOPPERS with it last winter. and several nice hybrid bass, fishing off deep points .they come in several different colors. the one pictured did the best for me.,

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by leanin post; 06/04/22 02:55 PM.

Re: What am I doing wrong [Re: leanin post] #14384963 06/04/22 04:58 PM
C
Captain Yakker Offline
Angler
Angler
C
these are the rattles ive been using,, not having luck finding where I got them over a year ago,, if anyone can find these particular rattles please let me know.,,. also the plastic jig is called a SHADPOLE,, its a Wally Marshall creation, I caught some WHOPPERS with it last winter. and several nice hybrid bass, fishing off deep points .they come in several different colors. the one pictured did the best for me.,

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thanks for the tip, I found them!

Fishin' to stock Lake Crisco.
Re: What am I doing wrong [Re: jonboatfishing] #14385045 06/04/22 08:04 PM
C
CrazyCrappieGuy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Normally I do not like to give away all my secrets, but for you guys, I'll spill my guts. First of all, if you gonna catch a fish, you got to think like a fish... What you need to do it put several jigs out in front of you on a table, look at them and say "If I'm a fish, what would I bite?".

In the morning, roll with this......

[Linked Image]

Why? Because it looks like a tequila sunrise...Texas Crappie can't resist that in the morning... Then in the afternoon, I switch to this...

[Linked Image]

Why? I know you're ask'en... Cause it looks like a margarita... Man you drop the tequila 1-2 punch on them they don't know what hit'em!! yes

Re: What am I doing wrong [Re: CrazyCrappieGuy] #14390636 06/11/22 03:03 AM
J
jonboatfishing Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Makes since to me. Is that jig head 3/16?
BTW, I got to get me one of those umbrellas.

Re: What am I doing wrong [Re: Mckinneycrappiecatcher] #14391512 06/12/22 01:50 PM
J
jig master Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by Mckinneycrappiecatcher
This time of year the best advice I can give is downsize. Donโ€™t use any baits bigger than 1.25โ€.

Plus 2

Don't believe everything you hear and half of what you see . Living for the Thump !!
Re: What am I doing wrong [Re: Ron Douthit] #14391526 06/12/22 02:01 PM
J
jig master Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by Ron Douthit
If you can afford it, going out with a guide is definitely the quickest way to learn.

I've fished for 30 years but mostly for largemouth and sandbass until last year ... since then I've become hooked on crappie fishing. I live on Cedar Creek lake and fish 2 to 3 times per week. What I've learned while using livescope is presentation (assuming you've found crappie) might be the single most important piece of the recipe. Most people that I take out to crappie fish for the first time put WAY too much action on their jig. They think because it's called a jig that you should jig it up and down rapidly. Your aren't going to get bit a lot with that type of abrupt action. For the most part, I use 3 different presentations based on what the fish want that day or that time of year:

• Swim over the top -- I first drop my jig down to determine the right amount of line to get just above the fish. I'll then grab my line several eyes up from the reel, pull it up the slack and pitch it out and let it drift over the top.
  • Hold it as still as you can just above the pile.
  • After holding it as still as you can, slowly pull it straight up as if the jig is swimming toward the surface -- this often triggers a reflex strike.

In the deep part of the summer (except maybe for the early morning time), you have to hold your jig super still and just wait. You'll catch a max of 3 - 5 fish per pile (even if it looks loaded) and then have to move to the next. For the last few weeks, however, the fish have been loving the swim presentation and I can catch 10 - 15 per pile when there are a lot of fish.

Plus 2 !! The best advice I can give you and Iโ€™m being honest is spend time on the water learn the lake you are fishing and always think outside the box change up colors and size.

Don't believe everything you hear and half of what you see . Living for the Thump !!
Re: What am I doing wrong [Re: leanin post] #14391743 06/12/22 06:23 PM
J
JCBfromTHF Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Bass Pro sells those under the Bass Pro brand. I use them when making swim jigs for Bass. I havent bought them in a few months but I have bought handfuls of them from the Garland store as recently as March of this year.

Re: What am I doing wrong [Re: jonboatfishing] #14391798 06/12/22 07:29 PM
C
CrazyCrappieGuy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted by jonboatfishing
Makes since to me. Is that jig head 3/16?

1/4oz! It drops like a bomb!!

Re: What am I doing wrong [Re: JCBfromTHF] #14392423 06/13/22 03:44 PM
ThaDudeAbides Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by JCBfromTHF

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Bass Pro sells those under the Bass Pro brand. I use them when making swim jigs for Bass. I havent bought them in a few months but I have bought handfuls of them from the Garland store as recently as March of this year.

i've had great luck with rattles in the soft plastic jigs. here is what i use. they are made of glass and you'll lose a few with the jigs but cheap enough.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bobby-garland-crappie-glass-rattles?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=BPS%7CShopping%7CStandard%7CFishing%7CGeneral%7CNAud%7CTopPerf%7CNMT&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwJuVBhCAARIsAOPwGARCfqvh9mMPt6Gaj4ucJz61oZkDqtJ9XMD_EFW2zuXFAxBqxhe-AdQaAo5dEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

**Professional amateur crappie fisherman**

1997 Nitro Savage 896, 200 HP Mercury EFI, Garmin Force, Garmin GPSMAP 1022 w/ Livescope, Garmin Ultra 122sv, Garmin 93
Re: What am I doing wrong [Re: jonboatfishing] #14396353 06/17/22 09:07 AM
S
SenkoSam Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
A lot of great information.

Last edited by SenkoSam; 06/18/22 12:58 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide