Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Healthcare workers-long sorry [Re: Fishin' Nut] #14388398 06/08/22 04:52 PM
T
TR176 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Fishin' Nut
I'm guessing you work for a corporation like Tenet Health.

I'm a salaried hospital employee (IT). We were told not to expect any raise this year. The money will be going to the lower tier support staff (house keeping, clerks, etc) to help them with the higher costs of living. And nursing staff. Many of them have left to become travel nurses. My retirement date of March 1, 2024 can't get here soon enough.

I retired from not for profit hospital some years ago. Travel nursing is hitting hard on staff retention and subsequently losing experience among other obvious things.
I have several friends that are currently on a $20,000.00 staff retention bonus. Work a year show up for scheduled shifts and don’t call in sick more than allowed and get the bonus. The shift bonus they were paid during Covid were very attractive amounts. I have some tell me they were given around15- 20% raises during the staffing crises.
The hospital also made the lowest hourly pay for support staff ( housekeepers, food services, clerks etc) $20/hr.

Re: Healthcare workers-long sorry [Re: BassFever] #14388401 06/08/22 04:58 PM
T
TXanalogkd Offline
Angler
Angler
T
It may be time to move on. The hospital industry is doing want the auto and airline industry did. They cried and took the government money (made a profit) and now they are below standards and still crying. This is no different from how are elected officials conduct their business.

They get into their cush office and stay put while the rest of Americans are struggling. As for the oil industry, someone is making a gain from all this.

Re: Healthcare workers-long sorry [Re: BassFever] #14388409 06/08/22 05:05 PM
T
Teeners boat Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Problem is that everyone jumps through flaming hoops to accommodate other people not doing theirs, lack of planning on some else's part has never & will never constitute an emergency on mine. Personally, I would drop it down a gear, give the best care & attention to the patients even if it takes longer than some number cruncher in India says it does. I call it the $.99 tour. Do it all the time here at work.

Reality. What a concept!
Re: Healthcare workers-long sorry [Re: BassFever] #14388430 06/08/22 05:29 PM
F
flashman252 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
First of all, you're not being a little biatch, but you are getting deeked around quite good it sounds like.

As a nurse myself, every hospital in the world is insanely short staffed. It sounds like your hospital has cut out all travelers and the only way hospitals are surviving is by hiring travelers still. We are still hiring them but every week the contract goes down $10/hr and we are trying to phase them out. They take a 3 month contract, dont give a lick about the organization and these travelers are still getting paid around 100-120/hr. It's a really really bad deal.

Our hospital also had to find a way to recoup money at one point. So what they did is they did a mandatory 40 hours of PTO for everyone for a one month span. Even if you elected not to take it, they stole it out of your bank of PTO hours. At the hospital I work for, PTO is paid out of a separate account. It was a way to pay these hours out of a separate account. Almost no one is being given actual PTO because of short staffing and if you didn't have 40 hours of PTO in your bank, then you had a negative amount of hours and owed the hospital so many hours of work to recoup those 40 hours taken away.

I am in the opposite boat as you though and our hospital is paying out callback pay anything over pointage. So since I am hired as a 0.9, I am expected to work 36 hours a week. Anything over 36 hours worked is time and a half and an additional $300 per 12 hours worked. Personally, I will probably never have this opportunity again and since the beginning of COVID, I have worked 60 hour work weeks and made close to 170k last year and did not need to travel to see this income. Are they long hours? Sure, but when this is all over, this will all go away.

Raises are non-existent as long as travelers are remaining in the hospital. There are pretty much 0 applicants anymore and travelers are starting to become scarce as they can find higher paid contracts elsewhere. The only way the hospital stays semi-afloat is by paying out bonus' for extra shifts. Something seems wrong for your hospital because every hospital here in NM is overrun with surgeries and all the procedures that were not taken care of during the pandemic. Hospitals are making hands over fist of dollars right now catching up on all the procedures that were pushed back. So if they aren't staffing you all with travelers, reducing the staff that can come in, then something seems wrong here. Sounds like greed to me and may be time to find another job.

It should not be hard to find a different job anywhere healthcare related right now. If it were me in your shoes, I would brush up a resume and find something different. Lots of places right now are not looking for part time employees though because it really does not help very much. I know our part time employees are being asked constantly to work more. They can say no since their contract is only signed for 24 hours weekly but it doesn't mean that every week they aren't asking for it. I wish you the best of luck and I hope you can find resolution. It does not appear that the healthcare industry will be fixed anytime soon unfortunately. Hang in there, it is tough times for sure right now.

Re: Healthcare workers-long sorry [Re: BassFever] #14388441 06/08/22 05:41 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
do you have retirement benefits coming from the current job, out of almost 30 yrs. how many with them?

if you have benefits coming I would be lookin around for a better scenario/pay and when found "retire" from your current position.

if no benefits I would still be looking for something more along the lines of what you want and hope for better pay, after that long in a profession I think

working conditions are more important than pay, ya gotta be happy where you are, money can't buy happiness but it can make misery doable.

Re: Healthcare workers-long sorry [Re: Indianation65] #14388486 06/08/22 06:34 PM
B
BassFever Online Content OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted by Indianation65
Bassfever,
You are not being a complainer, you are explaining your current situation.

However, your manager, whether she's been there 3 months or 3 years, probably has her own boss/bosses instructing her what "needs to be done"!

With luck, it will get better.

If you know for a fact, the situation will not get better, choices will have to be made. Best of luck.

...!

I appreciate this, I just hit the big 60 so getting out and looking for another job really isn't an option. Not as many IR tech jobs out there, and if so they all want overtime, call etc.. I'm very knowledgeable in my field and other places would love having me but I'm trying to take a step back and ease into retirement. My director asked me what would make me happy and to stay here. She said I'm a valuable employee and they do not want me to quit, I gave my reply and she agreed. Funny how things change in 3 months.

Re: Healthcare workers-long sorry [Re: BassFever] #14388655 06/08/22 10:08 PM
K
kennerdude Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
K
I’m glad your boss sees the value and is making it right for you.

NIL CARBORUNDUM
Re: Healthcare workers-long sorry [Re: BassFever] #14388718 06/08/22 11:18 PM
ShinerInTx Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
hmmm

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Healthcare workers-long sorry [Re: BassFever] #14388740 06/08/22 11:44 PM
T
Trickster Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
T
KMAGYOYO

Re: Healthcare workers-long sorry [Re: BassFever] #14388898 06/09/22 03:22 AM
R
RayBob Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
R
Originally Posted by BassFever
I've been in healthcare going on 30 years. I've helped cancer, covid, etc.. patients. During the main push of covid I'd have to work long shifts due to no or sick staff. With no increase in pay(only nurses got the extra pay). Now that covid is basically behind us, the hospital is telling us all that they are in dire straits and need to cut cost as much as possible. Of course this means cutting staff hours. My new manager sends for several patients at once in the morning before I can even get setup for their exams. She tries to get everything done in 4 hrs. that we used to do in 8, then sends us home early. I feel like I can't give good or safe care being rush so much. So, late last night I get a text from her saying she is letting one nurse and one tech stay home and doesn't want the rest to come in until 11:00 AM. Now I don't have a problem with this in general all except I believe this is just the first in long line of cutbacks. And of course, she texted again at 6 AM and said nothing has changed still come in at 11. And now I just received another text saying we have several add on cases and need to start earlier than 11, it's 10, WTH?? So now I'll probably have to work late to get every patient done and of course work alone and be rushed.

My biggest issue is I went part-time a couple months back. I agreed to 3 days a week and one weekend of call a month including one holiday. My manager has said it's not fair (she only been with our hospital maybe 3 months) that I don't take more call and work more. My director is playing dumb and says she doesn't remember what we agreed on. On a side note a co-worker is having knee surgery this month and will be out close to 3 months which means she is trying to make me work more and take more call. All the while working short handed. Just for reference, a few years back we were short handed and I took call for 5 yrs straight, 24/, 365. I will NOT do it again. And I had to take a pay cut to go part-time.

Texas is a right to work State, plus in Healthcare they don't care about any of my complaints, HR just says sorry.

Am I being a little biatch or what?

Don't know your dept but long before I retired (07/20) ancillary departments were cutting hours. It comes from "up stairs" and your manager is just trying to juggle things. CT wasn't affected too much but Nuclear Med and MRI would send staff home and we'd have to call them out for stat scans all the time. CT had to be on site 24hrs as a certified Level II Trauma facility. I worked at a Christus facility.

Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.

Re: Healthcare workers-long sorry [Re: BassFever] #14388970 06/09/22 11:07 AM
B
bloo_rainger Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
B
There should be enough COVID money laying around for a decade.
Oh yeah, management divided that up amongst themselves.

Re: Healthcare workers-long sorry [Re: BassFever] #14389089 06/09/22 01:39 PM
E
Emit R Detsaw Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
E
Ever look into moving over to the VA? They are always looking for staff/nurses/docs/techs and many are near or past retirement age, and the pace is more predictable/steady.

On the Covid front, it is far from over, but with vaccines and therapeutics is far less of a factor on the hospital system. Retired Sister and Brother-in-Law both just got it on "vacation" to Arizona. Their "vacation" got extended as they couldn't fly back home for at least 10 days. Both have their 2 vaccines and 2 boosters, probably why at their age they only have severe head cold symptoms.

May you be treated the way you treat other people, today and everyday!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide