Print Thread
CAST for Kids Eagle Mountain Lake #14387576 06/07/22 07:01 PM
M
mickeytfc Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
M
Hey folks, I am going to a volunteer guide for a CAST for Kids event on Wednesday the 15th, taking a special needs child and their parent fishing for the morning. I have guided this event at Joe Pool lake, but I have never fished Eagle Mountain. My home lake is Lewisville. So, since this is for the kids, anyone willing to share to white bass intel on Eagle Mountain. I promise I won't share it with anyone, just PM me. I am going to pre-fish a couple of days before the event, really want to get my kid and family a great day! At a previous event, we caught one sandy after another and the mom said her autistic son had never been as excited, verbal, and friendly before. So thank you in advance if you can help make that happen for someone else. Take care!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. Henry David Thoreau
Re: CAST for Kids Eagle Mountain Lake [Re: mickeytfc] #14387653 06/07/22 08:42 PM
learnin to fish Online Happy
Pro Angler
Online Happy
Pro Angler
I just looked up CAST, looks like a great organization. I registered as a boater for the Waco event in a couple weeks. Let us know how you did. I plan on taking a vacation day the day before to pre fish as well. I’m glad I learned about CAST in time to participate in a local event.

Re: CAST for Kids Eagle Mountain Lake [Re: mickeytfc] #14388089 06/08/22 12:45 PM
Dennis Christian Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Thanks for your kindness toward kids. I have fished EM for years but not much lately. Here is what I know:
1. Early morning, go to the area just south of Pelican Island. Most days they school on the surface there for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
2. After they stop schooling and go to the bottom on structure, try out these using sonar, down, and side-scan:

(a) the south edges (drop-offs) of the large flat extending south from Pelican Island, Fish in 12 to 18 fow
(b) the well known 27 ft hump that is about 100 yards out from the main dam about 100 yards east of its west end. Especailly work the north and east edges.
(c) the large, tall point (Baptist Point I think it's called) just to the west of this dam hump (set up in 10 fow, cast toward the deep. and work the lure up the slope back to you. My #2 Mepps set-up works well here.
(d) a 24 ft deep hump (not on old maps) out in the middle of open water on a line between the Boat Club marina and the south end of the lake. (Lauderdale's). It is a little closer to Boat Club marina.
(e) some shallow (10 to 15fow) humps on the west side north of Pelican Island
(f) The eastern-most point on the north side of Ash Creek. The "sweet" spot extends from the tip of the above -water point due eastward. Fish in 10 to 18 fow.

Good luck!

Re: CAST for Kids Eagle Mountain Lake [Re: learnin to fish] #14389164 06/09/22 03:07 PM
M
mickeytfc Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
M
Originally Posted by learnin to fish
I just looked up CAST, looks like a great organization. I registered as a boater for the Waco event in a couple weeks. Let us know how you did. I plan on taking a vacation day the day before to pre fish as well. I’m glad I learned about CAST in time to participate in a local event.

Awesome that you signed up for an event, its really rewarding!

Dennis, thank you for the tips on EM, I follow your posts A LOT, though I have to admit I haven't mastered your technique. I'm going to head out there tomorrow to do some pre-fishing so thank you for the guidance!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. Henry David Thoreau
Re: CAST for Kids Eagle Mountain Lake [Re: mickeytfc] #14389465 06/09/22 08:31 PM
TxCatfishGuide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I'll be working the event, I'll point you in the right direction that morning.

Re: CAST for Kids Eagle Mountain Lake [Re: TxCatfishGuide] #14389556 06/09/22 10:06 PM
M
mickeytfc Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
M
Originally Posted by TxCatfishGuide
I'll be working the event, I'll point you in the right direction that morning.

Hey, that's great of you! I just happened to be watching some of your videos a few minutes before your post, ha!

Re: CAST for Kids Eagle Mountain Lake [Re: mickeytfc] #14389610 06/09/22 11:16 PM
Z
z289sec Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Z
I fish the point by the TPWD boat house at sunup, every time I go to Eagle Mountain. Every morning about an hour after dawn, a school rolls through there, on their way to the dam, where they will usually run the length of it. I have also trolled small A-rigs, and 3/8 oz rattletraps along the dam, as well as the humps in front of it, and caught both Hybrids and Sandies.

Last edited by z289sec; 06/09/22 11:18 PM.
Re: CAST for Kids Eagle Mountain Lake [Re: mickeytfc] #14390328 06/10/22 08:37 PM
M
mickeytfc Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
M
Pre=fish report, got out to the lake about 8:30, fished til about noon, found them in every one of the spots I tried, that you guys gave me, so thanks! Looking forward to fishing next week with the kids! Caught them trolling, slabbing, casting Mal-Lure, alot of little yellows, but plenty of good sized whites.

Re: CAST for Kids Eagle Mountain Lake [Re: mickeytfc] #14390584 06/11/22 01:41 AM
TxCatfishGuide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by mickeytfc
Pre=fish report, got out to the lake about 8:30, fished til about noon, found them in every one of the spots I tried, that you guys gave me, so thanks! Looking forward to fishing next week with the kids! Caught them trolling, slabbing, casting Mal-Lure, alot of little yellows, but plenty of good sized whites.

We are over run with yellow bass. It's a struggle some days.

Re: CAST for Kids Eagle Mountain Lake [Re: mickeytfc] #14390640 06/11/22 03:10 AM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Awesome thread! thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: CAST for Kids Eagle Mountain Lake [Re: TxCatfishGuide] #14391998 06/12/22 10:50 PM
Z
z289sec Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Z
Originally Posted by TxCatfishGuide
Originally Posted by mickeytfc

We are over run with yellow bass. It's a struggle some days.

Sounds like good catfish cut bait!

Re: CAST for Kids Eagle Mountain Lake [Re: mickeytfc] #14392188 06/13/22 07:31 AM
S
stevolution Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
CAST is such a worthy cause. I haven't been able to get involved this year due to scheduling, but I was a part of the giveaway from Academy and Whataburger. When you see what your time and efforts do, not only for the kids, but for the parents, it humbles you.

Re: CAST for Kids Eagle Mountain Lake [Re: mickeytfc] #14404494 06/25/22 06:46 PM
learnin to fish Online Happy
Pro Angler
Online Happy
Pro Angler
We just finished the CAST event at Lake Waco today. It was my first time to participate, wow what an experience. Had a great time, put the kids on the fish. I had a brother, sister and their mom fish with us today. The brother won the boys most fish! Mountain Man from Duck Dynasty came to help as well. My wife found a minute to visit with him.

[Linked Image]

Mickeytfc thanks for the original post or I wouldn’t have known about it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: CAST for Kids Eagle Mountain Lake [Re: mickeytfc] #14405732 06/27/22 01:42 PM
M
mickeytfc Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
M
Hey, that's awesome about your Waco trip! I found out about CAST for Kids on someone else's post here last year myself. So glad you provided a great experience, and had one yourself!!!

I never did put in an update on our CAST trip on Eagle Mountain. Had a great time with a young man, Kye, and his mom and grandmother. Its always so great to see the Lord work out the small things, we were just "randomly" matched up and the mom thought she couldn't go out due to sensitivity to the sun but I just happened to be the boat with the bimini top so she got to join us!

The weather was challenging, heavy winds and just didn't have that right feel to it, I don't official measure or check the barometer but I'd guess it was off, just had that wrong feel. But sure was great to be out on the water with our enthusiastic guest, his family, and my son! We did pretty okay though on quite a few smaller fish, white bass, yellow bass, and channel cats. The bigger whites that I found pre fishing just weren't there and the bite was light, but we got plenty of action and had a great time!

And we happened to set next to a family, also hit hard by childhood leukemia, and my 11 year old son found a girl who likes this whole samurai anime thing like he does, ha!

Looking forward to the next CAST event we are joining at Joe Pool August 27, come on out and join that or another one, they are awesome!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide