Print Thread
Pork Butt Two Ways #14383914 06/03/22 01:00 PM
B
Big Hopper Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Only 2 1/2 of us here at home anymore, so a whole BBQ Pork Butt (for pulled pork) last a long time and gets old by the third meal. This weekend I decided to cut one in half, and make Pulled Pork out of one half, and Hawaiian Pork out of the other.

Cut a whole bone-in Pork Butt Roast in about half. Use the bone-in half for Pulled Pork. Rub one half and put on your charcoal (who would use anything else?) smoker for a few hours to get some smoke on it. After the fire burns down, take it off and wrap it in foil, and put in the oven for many hours (over night) at about 275 degrees. When it's dinner time, we like ours on a flour tortilla topped with some tangy coleslaw.
------------------------------------------------------------
For the Hawaiian Pork, it's not really that difficult, and the recipe isn't that strict. Think of it as a stir-fry.

Cut the boneless pork into chunks no more that 1" tk. Think "country style ribs". In fact you can easily make this from Country Style Ribs. Marinate them in soy sauce, ginger, and garlic, overnight will work, but so will an hour, if that's all you have. Reserve the marinade and throw the pork over the charcoal on the grill. The idea is to cook them through, and get a little smoke and char on them. Barely cooked through is best.

In a "large" skillet or dutch oven,
Chop an Onion and 2 Bell peppers into chunks and add a package of mushrooms to the pot. Add about 2 cups of water. Bring to a rapid boil, but keep your eye on it. Do Not Let It Dry Up!
Cut the grilled pork into medallions about 1/2" to 1" thick.
When the onions are wilted and the mushrooms are tender throw in the pork.
Add the reserved marinade. Add additional Soy Sauce, ginger and garlic.
Add a can of Pineapple Chunks, and some of the juice. I add a small jar of maraschino cherries, but that REALLY makes it sweet.
Let it go for awhile. Should be dark. Add more Soy if needed.
Thicken with Corn Starch slurry.

Serve over rice. You can thank me later.

I'm glad there are wine drinkers in this world ..... it saves more beer for the rest of us.
Hopper
Re: Pork Butt Two Ways [Re: Big Hopper] #14384701 06/04/22 03:01 AM
S
smooth move Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
uh-huh! sounds like a plan.

es le bon ton roulet
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread