Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
How to turn a boat into a catfish boat #14380469 05/30/22 10:51 AM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Okay, I have been waiting for this week since the second week of February, really a lot longer than that but that is when I ordered this boat. I take delivery of my new Tracker Targa V19 Combo on Thursday. It is a beast of a fishing boat. Big wide heavy and stable. Just the boat I need since we all know the wind is never going to stop blowing in Texas! It comes with a 150 HP outboard, a 24 Volt Power Drive trolling motor and a Lowrance Hook 2 7" fish finder. Pretty basic setup that would get the job done right? Well...

That would be true of a fishing boat, but not a catfishing boat. I am going to start this thread today with an explanation and I will follow up later in the week with before and after pics of the fit out.

1. First, I am adding an 8 foot bimini to keep that hot Texas sun from burning us to a crisp.
2. Next a set of Mul-T-Bar rod racks with a full set of Smackdown Rod Holders
3. An iPilot upgrade for the trolling motor
4. A set of kingpin shallow water anchors so I can avoid tearing up the sides of the boat tieing up to trees.
5. Adding a 12" Lowrance Hook 2 as the fish finder and using the 7" only for a chart.
6. Vessel View Mobile for the Mercury Engine
7. A Fell Marine Wireless MOB system to replace the kill switch
8. An LED headlight for catching bait in the dark, mounted on a custom Mul-T-Bar mount that Colton made for me.
9. A new Cabela's bait cooler and Katfish bait board
10. A set of Mad Katz Venom 2.0 MH rods

I think these are all the boat fit out things. I also have two new cast nets one taped and one not. Some new dragging weights that I made, color coordinated of course. I nice new first aid kit, some new inflatable life jackets for the littles same as for the adults. Having this much time to wait and think about the boat has been very expensive.

This is literally a dream come true. I know I could go catch catfish without spending all this money but the process of dreaming about this boat and now seeing it come to fruition has been so much fun! I am really looking forward to getting on the water with my Texas Tornado and all my other kids and grandkids. And I am especially looking forward to Blue Cat Bob and Skeetmaster getting out there with me. KEGracing, you too! We need to make it happen and now you have a good excuse to get up to Lavon and fish with me.

El Gato has asked if we can do a video walk thru for his channel and I said I'd be happy to so watch for that coming over the summer too.

I know there are probably a few of you wondering about how much I spent on all this. The boat is in the $47,000 range out the door tax included. The list above is about another $4,700. But the real cost is much higher because my wife said if you get a new boat I get a new kitchen so... We are calling a contractor today to come talk to us. As always my wife lets me follow my passion wherever it leads so I am happy to do for her what she always does for me. This past weekend was our 34th anniversary. We have been through a lot over the years. Ups and downs, rich and poor, sick and healthy but no matter what, we always faced it together. Turns out we meant what we said when we stood in front of the preacher all those years ago!

Alright enough rambling. Stay tuned for the pictures later this week fellas!

God Bless and Tight Lines!

Catfish Tim
๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ
Romans 8:1

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: How to turn a boat into a catfish boat [Re: Catfish Tim] #14380923 05/30/22 09:40 PM
Bluecat Bob Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
That new boat is going to be a catโ€™n Cadillac!

Those poor catfish in Lavon wonโ€™t stand a chance. As soon as those fish spot the huge black and red beast leaving the marina, the alarms going to go off under the water. โ€˜Take coverโ€ฆ. The catโ€™n Cadillac is heading our wayโ€™

flush

Last edited by Bluecat Bob; 05/30/22 09:42 PM.

Retired from the grind and enjoying life and the great outdoors ### Formerly Texas Brit ###
Re: How to turn a boat into a catfish boat [Re: Catfish Tim] #14380988 05/30/22 11:09 PM
S
skeetmaster Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Tim, everything about your post makes me feel good. You definitely deserve it. I didn't know how long you and your wife have been together. That's truly a testament to the dedication you both have for one another. I'm almost as excited about this boat as you are. I shouldn't be because i know it's just gonna cost me a bunch of money! I was gonna make you some killer dragging weights that were black and red but it sounds like you've got everything covered! I think I'm still gonna make you some so i can at least contribute something! Can't wait to see Dock Holiday in person!

Re: How to turn a boat into a catfish boat [Re: Catfish Tim] #14381121 05/31/22 02:46 AM
Z
z289sec Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Z
Can't wait to see it all decked out buddy. Glad to see you getting it battle ready.

Re: How to turn a boat into a catfish boat [Re: Catfish Tim] #14381492 05/31/22 04:38 PM
F
Fishin' Nut Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
If you don't mind used, J.R. Hall had a set of Mul-T-Bar's for sale. They came off his previous boat.

Originally Posted by OTFF
He is truly a sick individual.
Re: How to turn a boat into a catfish boat [Re: Catfish Tim] #14381530 05/31/22 05:01 PM
K
KEGracing Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
Happy for you my friend - you have worked hard and planned hard for this. An yes, we will make it happen! Looking forward to it!

Ken

2014 Premier Alante 235 RF tritoon. Momma's boat. But I get to fish on her.

A country boy will survive... but those who cross him?

Cedar Creek personal best:
Blue Cat 31.55 lbs
Hybrid 6.2 lbs
Crappie 2.1 lbs
Tennessee River Blue 45.7
Re: How to turn a boat into a catfish boat [Re: skeetmaster] #14381611 05/31/22 06:59 PM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by skeetmaster
Tim, everything about your post makes me feel good. You definitely deserve it. I didn't know how long you and your wife have been together. That's truly a testament to the dedication you both have for one another. I'm almost as excited about this boat as you are. I shouldn't be because i know it's just gonna cost me a bunch of money! I was gonna make you some killer dragging weights that were black and red but it sounds like you've got everything covered! I think I'm still gonna make you some so i can at least contribute something! Can't wait to see Dock Holiday in person!

Geno, T-Minus 44 hours! Really looking forward to getting out there with you again!

Catfish Tim

Re: How to turn a boat into a catfish boat [Re: Catfish Tim] #14381614 05/31/22 07:03 PM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
BCB, I hope I can still sneak up on 'em...

Z, stay tuned we will get the before pictures up as soon as we get here home and then the rigged up after pics!

Carey, I already have a set ready to go with the smackdown rod holders. And I have had enough experience with JR's used gear. That Hewescraft was the worst riding boat ever! Haha.

Ken, I will hold you to that!

Thanks fellas!

Catfish Tim

Re: How to turn a boat into a catfish boat [Re: Catfish Tim] #14383559 06/02/22 10:41 PM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
The beast has been delivered. And it is a beast...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Blue Cat Bob and I brought it home after a total of 45 minutes in Cabela's! Shout out to them for having their act together and getting the paperwork done, the walk through done and getting us on our way. Well done Cabela's!

We worked on it from 11:00 until about 4:30. So far we have...
The Bimini Top on. Looks great!
The Bow Light on the Mul-T-Bar stanchion.
The wireless switch to control the bow light.
The Wireless Man Overboard System
The new 12" Hook2 Lowrance
Modified the bracket for the 7" Hook2 Lowrance and reinstalled it.
Replaced the 12 Volt plug with a dual USB and Volt Meter.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Catfish Tim; 06/02/22 10:43 PM.

Catfish Tim

Re: How to turn a boat into a catfish boat [Re: Catfish Tim] #14383634 06/03/22 12:33 AM
Z
z289sec Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Z
Lookin good bud. I wanna get one of those wireless kill switches myself!

Re: How to turn a boat into a catfish boat [Re: Catfish Tim] #14383686 06/03/22 02:09 AM
Bluecat Bob Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Timโ€™s new Targa 19 is a stunning boat, and itโ€™s HUGE!!!!!

I could barely look when Tim started drilling holes in the brand new boat, but he knows what he is doing and he didnโ€™t just do a great job, it all looks like it came from the factory.

The Bimini top is color matched black, and it fits great with ample headroom even for Tim who is 6 feet 6 inches tall. The one thing Tim didnโ€™t mention is the storage on that boat. Itโ€™s cavernous and can can store no less than 12 rods in the hull.

Everything on the boat just feels quality on this, which is Trackers premier offering.

Retired from the grind and enjoying life and the great outdoors ### Formerly Texas Brit ###
Re: How to turn a boat into a catfish boat [Re: z289sec] #14383690 06/03/22 02:18 AM
Bluecat Bob Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by z289sec

I was skeptical until Tim fitted it and showed me how it works. Itโ€™s super simple to connect up via Bluetooth and a just a couple of button pushes and hey presto the unit lights up green. Done.

You can wander around the boat cordless so too speak, as it only engages if you are out of the boat.

Me likey!

Last edited by Bluecat Bob; 06/03/22 02:22 AM.

Re: How to turn a boat into a catfish boat [Re: Catfish Tim] #14383784 06/03/22 09:14 AM
S
skeetmaster Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
OMG........WOW!

Re: How to turn a boat into a catfish boat [Re: z289sec] #14383787 06/03/22 09:58 AM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by z289sec

Install was pretty easy. Lots of room on the dash to mount it and not a lot of stuff crammed in behind the dash to worry about either. Hardest part was finding the wires coming from the kill switch to intercept. Found them and found aux power then drilled a 2" hole the the dash. That was a little unnerving. I love the concept because I am always pulling the dang clip off the switch. I forget I'm hooked up and I move and there is goes.

Catfish Tim

Re: How to turn a boat into a catfish boat [Re: Catfish Tim] #14383790 06/03/22 10:20 AM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Day two comin up. Gonna start with the iPilot upgrade for the Power Drive, then the Vessel view for the Merc 150, then the king pin anchors and finally the multibars. I think that's all that's left to install. Should be done by lunchtime! Might be able to get her wet this afternoon!

Catfish Tim

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide