Forums59
Topics1,039,137
Posts13,959,750
Members144,192
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: People crying about background checks. [Re: Emit R Detsaw] #14377532 05/26/22 01:45 PM
921 Phoenix Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Emit R Detsaw
I've had the part-time job of selling guns in sporting goods stores at various times in my life. It is interesting to look back at the different periods and the different ways we had to do things. I remember when we could sell the person a gun, but not ammo at the same time. I remember the 5 day waiting period time for taking a purchased gun home. One thing that remained consistent was the paperwork that the store had to keep for the Government. Pre and Post background check we would have ATF or FBI come in and look through the paperwork when a gun was used in a crime. That is the only place that the gun is tied to the purchaser. What a Universal background check, done at a FFL store/site would do is complete the paper trail. The background check itself only clears the transaction, it doesn't record what gun you have bought or sold. In the past, when I have done a private sale of one of my guns, I kept a signed (by me and the guy buying the gun) receipt showing the gun and serial number that I sold. Just in case the gun was ever used in a crime. The Feds can only track the gun by serial number by getting the store that the firearm was sold to, and then physically going to the store and going through file cabinets of paperwork to see who that gun was sold to.They tried several years back to get that data into a federal data base, but that was blocked by the courts.

this is all correct from what I have been told when I question store owners while I was buying guns.

Re: People crying about background checks. [Re: kjwolvy] #14377533 05/26/22 01:46 PM
Bigbob_FTW Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Why is the first responds to punish ever one who didn't do it? Seems a short trip to a firing squad makes more sense.

[Linked Image][Linked Image] FJB
Re: People crying about background checks. [Re: patriot07] #14377572 05/26/22 02:16 PM
R
Razorback Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted by patriot07

You don't have to have a database for universal background checks.

Is there anyone who actually believes the government won't maintain such a list? Come on, now...anyone?

I don't trust government as far as I can throw them, especially Washington. If you ever buy a gun that is checked or registered in any way Washington will have a record of it, and if they ever need to see what you have the record will be available and used.

Re: People crying about background checks. [Re: Bigbob_FTW] #14377573 05/26/22 02:16 PM
921 Phoenix Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW
Why is the first responds to punish ever one who didn't do it? Seems a short trip to a firing squad makes more sense.

Firing squad is to quick

Let them chose between being tied down to a fire ant bed naked and with honey pour over them or tied to wood and set on fire

Needs to be enough consequences to deter them from doing it. The Roman’s crucified them on the roads leading into the towns to make people think.

Putting these people in jail three meals a day and all the time to play there games like on line is what they want

Re: People crying about background checks. [Re: 921 Phoenix] #14377587 05/26/22 02:21 PM
P
patriot07 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Originally Posted by 921 Phoenix

I don't know that it's wrong for them to try and trap people, because you selling a gun, you may not know that person and if they are lying to you. You also don't have the way to background check so to be trapped seams wrong to me.

I would suggest if you know you can't buy a gun and you try that should be a felony, but even if it would to become law what would anyone do about it. I say nothing so no matter what you put in place the only ones hurt are honest law abiding people criminals will always find away.

Who doesn't have a way to do a background check? Specify every police station as a free FFL check location. Also any FFL could perform checks as well.

I'm just saying - this provides a way to put less guns in the hands of people who can't legally buy them. It also doesn't infringe on 2A rights. And hopefully it would show some moderates that conservatives can be reasonable in an effort to try and stem the bleeding.

We absolutely still need to make schools safer. I don't understand how this hasn't already been addressed. At least one armed guard and bullet proof exterior glass should be the bare minimum requirements.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: People crying about background checks. [Re: 921 Phoenix] #14377607 05/26/22 02:40 PM
F
flashman252 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Originally Posted by 921 Phoenix
I've had the part-time job of selling guns in sporting goods stores at various times in my life. It is interesting to look back at the different periods and the different ways we had to do things. I remember when we could sell the person a gun, but not ammo at the same time. I remember the 5 day waiting period time for taking a purchased gun home. One thing that remained consistent was the paperwork that the store had to keep for the Government. Pre and Post background check we would have ATF or FBI come in and look through the paperwork when a gun was used in a crime. That is the only place that the gun is tied to the purchaser. What a Universal background check, done at a FFL store/site would do is complete the paper trail. The background check itself only clears the transaction, it doesn't record what gun you have bought or sold. In the past, when I have done a private sale of one of my guns, I kept a signed (by me and the guy buying the gun) receipt showing the gun and serial number that I sold. Just in case the gun was ever used in a crime. The Feds can only track the gun by serial number by getting the store that the firearm was sold to, and then physically going to the store and going through file cabinets of paperwork to see who that gun was sold to.They tried several years back to get that data into a federal data base, but that was blocked by the courts.

this is all correct from what I have been told when I question store owners while I was buying guns.

It sure is and I know a guy sells weapons privately (buys and sells CONSTANTLY) but ALWAYS keeps a bill of sale with serial number. Saved his arse one day as we were at his house for a bbq and 3 blacked out SUV's roll up. When answering the door, they asked about a firearm that he had bought at a local gun shop. Told him he sold it and went to his gun safe, pulled out a big stack of bill of sales and gave a copy to them. Cleared his name right then and there. If that one document did not exist, he would of been taken in for questioning, guaranteed.

Last edited by flashman252; 05/26/22 02:41 PM.
Re: People crying about background checks. [Re: patriot07] #14377609 05/26/22 02:43 PM
E
Emit R Detsaw Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
E

We absolutely still need to make schools safer. I don't understand how this hasn't already been addressed. At least one armed guard and bullet proof exterior glass should be the bare minimum requirements.

After our school shooting a few years back there was a bond measure on the ballot to do just that. People voted it down because they didn't want their taxes raised. It was on the ballot again this year along with other school upgrades for covid ventilation and so forth, and yup, it got voted down again. People want it done, but they don't want to pay for it.

May you be treated the way you treat other people, today and everyday!

Re: People crying about background checks. [Re: flashman252] #14377612 05/26/22 02:44 PM
R
Razorback Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted by flashman252

It sure is and I know a guy sells weapons privately (buys and sells CONSTANTLY) but ALWAYS keeps a bill of sale with serial number. Saved his arse one day as we were at his house for a bbq and 3 blacked out SUV's roll up. When answering the door, they asked about a firearm that he had bought at a local gun shop. Told him he sold it and went to his gun safe, pulled out a big stack of bill of sales and gave a copy to them. Cleared his name right then and there. If that one document did not exist, he would of been taken in for questioning, guaranteed.

No, the government would never keep a record of every gun you buy and register and be able to come to your house at any time, and for any reason that serves their purposes.

Re: People crying about background checks. [Re: kjwolvy] #14377626 05/26/22 02:52 PM
P
Pat Goff Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
[Linked Image]

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: People crying about background checks. [Re: Razorback] #14377646 05/26/22 03:02 PM
F
flashman252 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Originally Posted by Razorback

No, the government would never keep a record of every gun you buy and register and be able to come to your house at any time, and for any reason that serves their purposes.

Well I am telling you, they came to his house and had questions right then and there about a handgun with a serial number in question. The above statement is correct about ATF coming and getting a name off a 4473 form. When I worked at sportsmans, they did it every so often. If there is a firearm bought and used in a crime, they can and will figure out who the original buyer was and follow a paper trail if there is one.

Re: People crying about background checks. [Re: kjwolvy] #14377649 05/26/22 03:06 PM
F
flashman252 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
On the subject of all this, here in new mexico we have a craigslist just for guns. Where people can sell and buy privately all the time. I have done this one time in my entire life and the only thing I did was a bill of sale. No background check at all. Could we enforce background checks for private sells, sure could but I wonder how many firearms have been passed around at this point without a background check tied to the owner at this point. Sure it may help going forward but there are far too many weapons in this country that are not with the person who originally did the background check. Criminals will ALWAYS find a way to get their hands on one as well. Any law we make restricting guns will only keep the honest more honest.

Re: People crying about background checks. [Re: Emit R Detsaw] #14377658 05/26/22 03:15 PM
D
D.O.C.989 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D

After our school shooting a few years back there was a bond measure on the ballot to do just that. People voted it down because they didn't want their taxes raised. It was on the ballot again this year along with other school upgrades for covid ventilation and so forth, and yup, it got voted down again. People want it done, but they don't want to pay for it.

Actually there is no viable reason to hold a bond issue for these things. Schools are infrastructure and we just passed a trillion some odd dollar bill for infrastructure. Where is that money? Oh that's right some of it went to improving the park in San Francisco and other pork projects instead of schools. How far would 53 billion dollars go that went to a corrupt nation? The money is already there but all this stuff has been politicized. For verification one only needs to look at a former POTUS comparing the Texas tragedy to George Floyd yet liberals say they want to come together with us. It's all BS and eventually the responsibility to protect your children will be on you and that won't be done without the 2nd. Just my opinion.

Re: People crying about background checks. [Re: D.O.C.989] #14377671 05/26/22 03:27 PM
E
Emit R Detsaw Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted by D.O.C.989

Actually there is no viable reason to hold a bond issue for these things. Schools are infrastructure and we just passed a trillion some odd dollar bill for infrastructure. Where is that money? Oh that's right some of it went to improving the park in San Francisco and other pork projects instead of schools. How far would 53 billion dollars go that went to a corrupt nation? The money is already there but all this stuff has been politicized. For verification one only needs to look at a former POTUS comparing the Texas tragedy to George Floyd yet liberals say they want to come together with us. It's all BS and eventually the responsibility to protect your children will be on you and that won't be done without the 2nd. Just my opinion.

The way the voting measure stated it, there is federal money, but it is a matching deal. School would get X amount of Federal Infrastructure money if they matched it. People voted against matching it. I think they still get to spend Covid Relief money from the Fed, but that is only for the HVAC/Ventilation stuff.

May you be treated the way you treat other people, today and everyday!

Re: People crying about background checks. [Re: flashman252] #14377713 05/26/22 04:15 PM
R
Razorback Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R

Well I am telling you, they came to his house and had questions right then and there about a handgun with a serial number in question. The above statement is correct about ATF coming and getting a name off a 4473 form. When I worked at sportsmans, they did it every so often. If there is a firearm bought and used in a crime, they can and will figure out who the original buyer was and follow a paper trail if there is one.

I was being sarcastic. Of course government will use any and every tool at its disposal for any purpose government wants, constitutional or not. Phone records, wiretaps, eavesdropping...we already know about a lot of it. There is a lot more that we as citizens haven't learned about yet.

Re: People crying about background checks. [Re: Razorback] #14377772 05/26/22 05:00 PM
F
flashman252 Offline
Angler
Angler
F

I was being sarcastic. Of course government will use any and every tool at its disposal for any purpose government wants, constitutional or not. Phone records, wiretaps, eavesdropping...we already know about a lot of it. There is a lot more that we as citizens haven't learned about yet.

FACTS!!!

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide