Forums59
Topics1,038,778
Posts13,952,605
Members144,176
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: The elite deal got me thinking [Re: SteezMacQueen] #14375779 05/24/22 06:52 PM
K
Ken Starling Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Ya’ll are also making it sound real simple.But keep on giving suggestions I am reading them all just not res-on ding to them
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
You can also make big bass a separate weigh in, so the lucky kid has his chance too. Must be a 6+ to weigh in. Easy. Y’all are making this too hard.

Last edited by Ken Starling; 05/24/22 06:57 PM.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: The elite deal got me thinking [Re: WAWI] #14375787 05/24/22 06:57 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
I’ve been running tourneys for a while. Granted it’s not even in the same realm as what you’re doing as far as numbers. But…it’s not a democracy. It’s YOUR deal. YOU make it as hard or as easy as it is. YOU! Not them, or the parents, or us TFF members.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: The elite deal got me thinking [Re: WAWI] #14375788 05/24/22 06:57 PM
J
J.H.S. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
You could always cut it down to a 3 fish weigh-in. It would take some of the stress off the fish and might help speed things up a little bit. Once again, it is HIGHSCHOOL BASS FISHING, not professional. It is the lowest level of competitive fishing. Kids should be doing this for fun anyways.

Last edited by J.H.S.; 05/24/22 06:59 PM.

Live Daringly, Boldy, and Fearlessly....Embrace the Challenge So That You May Feel the Exhiliration of Victory.

Re: The elite deal got me thinking [Re: SteezMacQueen] #14375790 05/24/22 06:59 PM
K
Ken Starling Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Thanks Steez. No offense taken in any of your comments.
I’ve been running tourneys for a while. Granted it’s not even in the same realm as what you’re doing as far as numbers. But…it’s not a democracy. It’s YOUR deal. YOU make it as hard or as easy as it is. YOU! Not them, or the parents, or us TFF members.

Re: The elite deal got me thinking [Re: SteezMacQueen] #14375797 05/24/22 07:04 PM
R
RKT Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted by RKT
Originally Posted by Douglas J
A "cut line" would be useful, figure a fair amount of weight for said lake and that is the "cut line". If you do not have over the "cut line" in weight, you do not weigh your fish. All below the "cut line" receive an arbitrary preset amount of AOY points.

If you chose to weigh in anyways and it's not with in 1 pound or so of the "cut line", the captain and team is banned from the next tourney. Rules without consequences are rarely followed.

It's "fair", keeps the lines manageable and likely will cut down on mortality.

Better yet….if you don’t have a limit, you don’t weigh in. Without a limit, they ain’t winning anyways. Figure out a points system to make it reasonable.

I know you have been around long enough to have seen plenty of tournaments that were won with just 4 fish.

Never have I been in a tournament of 250-ish boats where 4 fish have even been paid. I have won a Media solo event with 4 GOOD fish, but it wasn’t even 50 boats.

The idea is to slim down the numbers going to weigh in. If they had 100 boats, there wouldn’t be an issue. It’s 250+ and mom, dad, aunt, uncle, grandparents, x2 slowing down parking as well.

So in the March BassChamps on LBJ this year the 10th and 11th teams should have just not weighed in their 3 and 4 fish bags and should have just forfeited their $1500 and $1000 prizes. That is an adult tournament with people that know what they are doing. The high schoolers are no where near on that level so there is a much higher chance of teams winning or doing well with less than five fish in the high school tournaments. Also, many need all the points they can get each tournament to try to qualify for regionals and state. If you want to make the size of the regionals and state tournaments smaller then it will be even more critical for each team to get all the points they can at each season tournament.

I agree that at state (since it is not a qualifying event) you could announce a "cut line" weight as the weigh in is in process on day 2 only. However, when you do that your gonna have some mad parents who drove half way across the state and didn't get to see their kid weigh in their fish.

Last edited by RKT; 05/24/22 07:23 PM.
Re: The elite deal got me thinking [Re: Ken Starling] #14375802 05/24/22 07:05 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Ken Starling
Thanks Steez. No offense taken in any of your comments.

You shouldn’t take offense. I’m not trying to be offensive. I know you have grown a monster! I’d suggest just breaking it down in the off season and rewriting what ya got. Come out and say this is what it is. Get on board or get out. It’s in the name of safety, conservation, and your sanity. Screw em.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: The elite deal got me thinking [Re: kellisag] #14375844 05/24/22 07:51 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by kellisag
Originally Posted by WAWI
And obvious way to limit some smaller bags and number of fish in line would also be to increase minimum size to 16 inches. That cost nothing.

You would still have the teams carrying their sack full of water and one fish to weigh in

In 2020/2021 season, my team had a water sack with one fish in Feb - moved them up 14 places for the year. Took them from just above the cut-line to a point where they had a little breathing room.

Re: The elite deal got me thinking [Re: Txduckhunter] #14375990 05/24/22 09:47 PM
R
ricochetrabbit Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted by Txduckhunter

In 2020/2021 season, my team had a water sack with one fish in Feb - moved them up 14 places for the year. Took them from just above the cut-line to a point where they had a little breathing room.

This season we would've been grateful to get the "thanks for showing up" points. LOL

Unfortunately one of the tournaments got rescheduled to the same day my son was showing his pig so he missed those points. Impossible choice after putting so much effort into both.

Tough break especially when state and AOY events got canceled last season because of the virus. Boo virus.

No blame or fault, just a little disappointing the way circumstances worked out for his senior year. Can't complain too much, he ended up with a few thousand dollars from FFA and his grades got him half of his tuition for four years.

Re: The elite deal got me thinking [Re: RKT] #14376036 05/24/22 10:16 PM
S
Shoe Dave Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by RKT
Originally Posted by Shoe Dave
If you want to run a second scale you do not need a complete second set of everything involved to work with the scale. You can simply have people in one line with two scale stations side by side. When a scale is empty the person at the front of the line goes to the empty scale. Theoretically. you would be able to process the line about twice as quick with the addition of one scale.

The line that causes a delay is the line to get weigh bags. You can only have as many weigh bags out as you have tanks to place the bags in while waiting to go to the scales. They can go across the scales fairly quickly. To really speed up the process you have to be able to have more weigh bags available which means more tanks. If you put out more weigh bags without more tanks than you will have tons of dead fish as the fish cannot live that long in a regular weigh bag that does not allow water to flow through it or have an oxygen source. So theoretically, just adding a second set of scales would not speed up the process very much.

Originally Posted by RKT
If you want to run a second scale you do not need a complete second set of everything involved to work with the scale. You can simply have people in one line with two scale stations side by side. When a scale is empty the person at the front of the line goes to the empty scale. Theoretically. you would be able to process the line about twice as quick with the addition of one scale.

The line that causes a delay is the line to get weigh bags. You can only have as many weigh bags out as you have tanks to place the bags in while waiting to go to the scales. They can go across the scales fairly quickly. To really speed up the process you have to be able to have more weigh bags available which means more tanks. If you put out more weigh bags without more tanks than you will have tons of dead fish as the fish cannot live that long in a regular weigh bag that does not allow water to flow through it or have an oxygen source. So theoretically, just adding a second set of scales would not speed up the process very much.

I don’t think adding bags and more tanks will speed the process up. The process can only go as fast as its slowest point. If you have 20 people waiting in a line and you have one point of check out, and it takes approximately a minute to check each person out that is approximately 20 minutes to process the 20 people in line. If you add a second check out point and leave 20 people in line, the line will move twice as fast.

Re: The elite deal got me thinking [Re: Shoe Dave] #14376324 05/25/22 02:15 AM
R
RKT Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted by RKT

Originally Posted by RKT

I don’t think adding bags and more tanks will speed the process up. The process can only go as fast as its slowest point. If you have 20 people waiting in a line and you have one point of check out, and it takes approximately a minute to check each person out that is approximately 20 minutes to process the 20 people in line. If you add a second check out point and leave 20 people in line, the line will move twice as fast.

Shoe - Have you participated in a THSBA tournament? My point is that just adding a second scale will not make things go much faster. You need it all to really speed it up. If you have participated in the THSBA process you should understand my point.

Re: The elite deal got me thinking [Re: RKT] #14376674 05/25/22 03:09 PM
T
Tx Tree Grower Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by RKT

This defeats the whole purpose of limited weigh bags. THSBA does this part absolutely correct. I believe they had the correct number of bags out. Our fish went from livewell to the live release tank in 5 minutes or less both days. Very little wait time once the kids received a bag. The fish "SHOULD" be way better off in your livewell than in a weigh bag. Once a fish goes into a weigh bag the clock starts ticking. Oxygen or not in the holding take, it is a stressful situation for the fish to be in a bag. There is no reason you should not be able keep fish in your livewell for an extra hour. Our fish were lively as heck both days with extended waits in the livewell. A few ice bottles and some additive. No big deal.

The reality is that as far as tournament management THSBA does as good or better job than any adult trail out there. They need to lower the numbers in their State and Regional tournaments. Simple as that. 90% of this thread is just useless babble based on hearsay from those with an axe to grind.

Re: The elite deal got me thinking [Re: WAWI] #14376983 05/25/22 07:05 PM
John175☮ Offline
MACHO MAN
MACHO MAN
WAWI is right.

“Do not pray for easier lives. Pray to be stronger men.” -JFK
Re: The elite deal got me thinking [Re: John175☮] #14376985 05/25/22 07:08 PM
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by John175☮
WAWI is right.

He is only right if he's paying the tab laugh

#MFGA
Re: The elite deal got me thinking [Re: WAWI] #14377387 05/26/22 09:44 AM
Larry Mosby Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
The only reason the Elites are doing this is because of the slot limit on Fork. All the rest of the Elite tournaments are weighed in on a single scale. Most tournament anglers wouldn’t be in favor of using two scales as one could be weighing fish slightly heavier or lighter than the other. Jeff Bunch has tournaments that work like the Fork tournament and MLF where you weigh your fish in the boat and release them. The draw back to his events are you have one of his GoPro cameras in your all around light socket that records everything including where you’re fishing.

Larry Mosby
Re: The elite deal got me thinking [Re: WAWI] #14377396 05/26/22 10:39 AM
W
wh2004 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
W
I’m having a hard time understanding how a certified calibrated scale is going to weigh anything differently. 15 pounds is 15 pounds yes?

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide