Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Not sure what stung me, but it got me!!! #14374831 05/23/22 03:24 PM
Billy Blazer 300 HPDI Online Content OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Walked in my shed at my place at Sam Rayburn to get a gas can. Reached to move my weed eater out of the way to get my gas can and something hit me on my elbow. At first I thought it was a snake as bad as it hurt. Hand and arm started going numb, hurt like hell and scared the [censored] out of me. Jerked my arm when I got stung and hit my weed eater and knocked a big chunk of hide off back of my hand.

Was bleeding like a stuck hog, wife freaked out though snake bite me on the hand.

Not sure what stung me. Hand arm went numb for a while. Elbow hurt most of the afternoon. Even made me kinda sick at my stomach for a while.

I’ve been stung before, wasps, yellow jackets, bees and hornets etc. but nothing like this. Whatever it was hurt damn bad. I got stung by a Hornet fishing a team tournament in the mid eighties on lake Corpus Christi, it hurt but not as bad.

Wife thinks it was a scorpion, I think it was a wasp and I had a reaction to it.

Thanks, Billy
Re: Not sure what stung me, but it got me!!! [Re: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI] #14374859 05/23/22 03:46 PM
R
Razorback Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
Everyone I know laughs about how stinging objects have sought me out my entire life. I have been stung by wasps dozens of times. It always hurt, but that was about it. Eight years ago I was mowing when something stung me just below the knee on the back of my leg. It felt like someone stuck an icepick in the back of my leg, but I never saw it. About ten days later I was mowing in the same place and I got stung again in almost exactly the same spot on my leg. This time it felt like I got shot. It hurt so bad I would have screamed the same profanities if Mother Teresa and Billy Graham had been standing beside me.

This time my upper calf got very red and swollen. By the next day the redness and swelling had moved around to the front of my knee. I went to my doctor. She gave me a shot of some kind and an antibiotic, and said the main thing I needed to do was make sure it didn't happen again, especially near my head. I had never had a reaction anything like that.

A year or so ago a red wasp stung me on the forearm, and my arm got swollen from that, too. Apparently I have developed an allergic reaction as I got older.

By the way, a few days after the second sting from what I am sure were yellowjackets I saw that something had dug up the ground right where I was stung and the honeycomb looking nest was on the surface and torn up. If I could find the raccoon who dug up and ate those $*&@!+?s I would treat him to a crawfish dinner and pin a medal on his chest.

Last edited by Razorback; 05/23/22 03:47 PM.
Re: Not sure what stung me, but it got me!!! [Re: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI] #14374876 05/23/22 04:07 PM
L
LoneStarSon Online Content
Private Dancer
Online Content
Private Dancer
L
Originally Posted by Billy Blazer 300 HPDI
Walked in my shed at my place at Sam Rayburn to get a gas can. Reached to move my weed eater out of the way to get my gas can and something hit me on my elbow. At first I thought it was a snake as bad as it hurt. Hand and arm started going numb, hurt like hell and scared the [censored] out of me. Jerked my arm when I got stung and hit my weed eater and knocked a big chunk of hide off back of my hand.

Was bleeding like a stuck hog, wife freaked out though snake bite me on the hand.

Not sure what stung me. Hand arm went numb for a while. Elbow hurt most of the afternoon. Even made me kinda sick at my stomach for a while.

I’ve been stung before, wasps, yellow jackets, bees and hornets etc. but nothing like this. Whatever it was hurt damn bad. I got stung by a Hornet fishing a team tournament in the mid eighties on lake Corpus Christi, it hurt but not as bad.

Wife thinks it was a scorpion, I think it was a wasp and I had a reaction to it.

I'm with your wife...I've gotten hit by a scorpion on my foot. It's a pain unlike any other sting and it causes numbness and other issues. Not a fan.

Re: Not sure what stung me, but it got me!!! [Re: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI] #14374884 05/23/22 04:23 PM
T
Topwater2 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
T
We had more scorpions than rocks when we lived in the hill country. They liked crawling into your bath towel when you weren't looking. Toweling off after a shower without checking that bath towel would wake you up in the morning. I got zapped a few times but luckily I never had my stinger stung.

FishKen
Re: Not sure what stung me, but it got me!!! [Re: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI] #14374898 05/23/22 04:43 PM
Billy Blazer 300 HPDI Online Content OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
As soon as I could catch my breath and get a little feeling back in my hand I went hunting for what stung me. I sprayed diamond WP or whatever that bug spray I mix up from tractor supply.

I never saw anything while spraying. Later that afternoon I had a kinda sorta black and red wasp fly in the garage. I went after him with my ball cap. He was not afraid of anything and I finally got a good lick on him. Maybe that’s what stung me.

Thanks, Billy
Re: Not sure what stung me, but it got me!!! [Re: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI] #14374903 05/23/22 04:58 PM
J
JackMason Online Happy
TFF Team Angler
Online Happy
TFF Team Angler
J
Go back in there, dig around and see if you can find the beast

Re: Not sure what stung me, but it got me!!! [Re: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI] #14374905 05/23/22 05:03 PM
D
DI Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
Scorpion will get your attention for sure. Hate those lil bastards.

Re: Not sure what stung me, but it got me!!! [Re: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI] #14374920 05/23/22 05:24 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Bumble bees hurt much worse than yellow jackets and come out of holes in the ground.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Not sure what stung me, but it got me!!! [Re: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI] #14374924 05/23/22 05:28 PM
M
markson Offline
Angler
Angler
M
Could have been one of these - Tarantula hawk wasp - saw my first one of the year yesterday

[Linked Image]

Re: Not sure what stung me, but it got me!!! [Re: lconn4] #14374956 05/23/22 06:04 PM
D
DI Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by lconn4
Bumble bees hurt much worse than yellow jackets and come out of holes in the ground.

Had one hit me in the head a couple years ago when I ran over a ground nest on a tractor. Felt like a punch, then I got dizzy with throbbing pain. After a few beers I went Hiroshima on that nest,

Re: Not sure what stung me, but it got me!!! [Re: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI] #14374990 05/23/22 06:52 PM
Beak47 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Scorpions love to get under blankets and towels and they fall off the ceiling during certain times of the year. Also show up in the bathtub when you least expect them. Sting feels like a glowing hot nail.

Hardcore Texan
Re: Not sure what stung me, but it got me!!! [Re: Razorback] #14375001 05/23/22 07:05 PM
S
Slylox Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Originally Posted by Razorback
Everyone I know laughs about how stinging objects have sought me out my entire life. I have been stung by wasps dozens of times. It always hurt, but that was about it. Eight years ago I was mowing when something stung me just below the knee on the back of my leg. It felt like someone stuck an icepick in the back of my leg, but I never saw it. About ten days later I was mowing in the same place and I got stung again in almost exactly the same spot on my leg. This time it felt like I got shot. It hurt so bad I would have screamed the same profanities if Mother Teresa and Billy Graham had been standing beside me.

This time my upper calf got very red and swollen. By the next day the redness and swelling had moved around to the front of my knee. I went to my doctor. She gave me a shot of some kind and an antibiotic, and said the main thing I needed to do was make sure it didn't happen again, especially near my head. I had never had a reaction anything like that.

A year or so ago a red wasp stung me on the forearm, and my arm got swollen from that, too. Apparently I have developed an allergic reaction as I got older.

By the way, a few days after the second sting from what I am sure were yellowjackets I saw that something had dug up the ground right where I was stung and the honeycomb looking nest was on the surface and torn up. If I could find the raccoon who dug up and ate those $*&@!+?s I would treat him to a crawfish dinner and pin a medal on his chest.

Yellowjackets suck. One of my college room mates died at 47 of anaphylactic shock during a family bbq. He was stung multiple times on the neck and head an suffocated several minutes later. Although most likely too late, upon arrival paramedics tried a tracheotomy but his throat was too swollen. Watch out for yellowjackets if you are allergic...little bastards are no joke for some people.

Re: Not sure what stung me, but it got me!!! [Re: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI] #14375006 05/23/22 07:08 PM
T
The Searchers Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Over the last 18 years had several scorpion situations. I’ve been stung 4-5 times, kiddos too.
Started using “demon” around the outside of the house several years back with really good results.
Also pretty cool to invest in a black light and walk around yard and pasture. I chit you not they glow so bright neon you can see them 30 ft away

Re: Not sure what stung me, but it got me!!! [Re: The Searchers] #14375014 05/23/22 07:20 PM
1oldbassguy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by The Searchers
Over the last 18 years had several scorpion situations. I’ve been stung 4-5 times, kiddos too.
Started using “demon” around the outside of the house several years back with really good results.
Also pretty cool to invest in a black light and walk around yard and pasture. I chit you not they glow so bright neon you can see them 30 ft away

good advice , what is the exact name of this " demon " stuff ?
My sons lives in Lipan and gets small scorpions in his house . His wife thinks they come in through the septic line ? She has seen them in their shower several times .

Re: Not sure what stung me, but it got me!!! [Re: Slylox] #14375017 05/23/22 07:25 PM
1oldbassguy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Slylox
Originally Posted by Razorback

Yellowjackets suck. One of my college room mates died at 47 of anaphylactic shock during a family bbq. He was stung multiple times on the neck and head an suffocated several minutes later. Although most likely too late, upon arrival paramedics tried a tracheotomy but his throat was too swollen. Watch out for yellowjackets if you are allergic...little bastards are no joke for some people.

I was playing golf one time , on hole #8 , addressing my tee shot when a yellow jacket got under my shirt and stung me three times . I reacted really quickly and tried to " smash " it , pulled out my shirt and finally thought I got rid of it . After I finish hole #9 , I decide to check out my stings at the clubhouse and take a leak --- little bastard was in my underwear --- thankfully it was dead . VERY grateful it was dead and didn't sting my pecker or balls

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide