Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: J.H.S.] #14372777 05/20/22 01:47 PM
E
ETXfisher91 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
Originally Posted by J.H.S.
Originally Posted by RKT
Can you imagine if the state told B.A.S.S. and MLF (including BFL and Toyota Series) that they had to knock their fields down to only 100 boats in Texas tournaments to be able to have tournaments in Texas?

Honestly, I think it would be funny. Maybe the term "pro" would gain some value again.

100%!!!
but they won't. they are making stupid money with all the hundreds of "Pro Joes" every tourney

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: T Bird] #14372788 05/20/22 02:00 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
I have an unpopular opinion on tournaments in general. I'd love to see TPWD issue a certain number of tournament slots for each year for each lake in the state based on the health of the fishery. The slots go to the highest bidder. All funds go to restocking our lakes. The number of anglers is growing faster than the number of acres of fishable water. I don't know when it'll be, but at some point we are going to have to address this issue.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: Jpurdue] #14372794 05/20/22 02:07 PM
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
I have an unpopular opinion on tournaments in general. I'd love to see TPWD issue a certain number of tournament slots for each year for each lake in the state based on the health of the fishery. The slots go to the highest bidder. All funds go to restocking our lakes. The number of anglers is growing faster than the number of acres of fishable water. I don't know when it'll be, but at some point we are going to have to address this issue.

have tourney lakes only, water skiing and tournaments on same lakes LOL

#MFGA
Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: Jpurdue] #14372830 05/20/22 02:44 PM
206champion Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

Be careful what you wish for it just might come true ,

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: T Bird] #14372837 05/20/22 02:53 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
I dont know that size of fields is as big a problem as make up of fields and set up of venues for weigh in. Bass Champs, ttt, tto, ttz, have all run big fields and conduct efficient weigh ins, handle fish care etc. Those guys know what they are doing know how to set up, and generally see issues prior to them happening. They also do it without all the volunteers helping. In the example I gave earlier about the mess I was involved in at whitney there was really no chance to have gotten that right, it was doomed from the beginning. Champs does drawing for zero weights often times so every 6 lb bag doesn't have to get weighed in, also guys in those events tend to leave without going to weigh in if they dont have competitive bags. The high school kids want to flock to the weigh in areas and hang around, it causes a glut of trucks and trailers, they are also gonna absolutely weigh any fish they catch so there is that. You also have a pile of parents cars and trucks around cause they want to see how junior did. When I captained at least 1 sometimes both sets of kids parents would show up at events so for 1 team there was a my truck and trailer, plus 2 other cars.... multiply that by 300 and parking, access was disaster.

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: Jpurdue] #14372838 05/20/22 02:55 PM
W
wh2004 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
W

Why do we need to address anything involving catch and release? Literally every person fishing in a tournament could legally keep and eat the bass they catch and you think TPWD should or will regulate catch and release?

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: wh2004] #14372848 05/20/22 03:10 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by wh2004

Why do we need to address anything involving catch and release? Literally every person fishing in a tournament could legally keep and eat the bass they catch and you think TPWD should or will regulate catch and release?

While I think jpurdue is completely wrong, 1000 percent wrong, to address you question if you want to keep and eat 5 bass by all means do so, that said tournaments are catch with the intent to release and in my mind just as anglers in that situation should have a moral, and legal obligations considering waste laws, tourny directors should also have an obligation to set up and plan for efficient weigh ins to return the fish to the lake in the best shape possible. It's good for the sport, it's a good example to set for the kids. Nothing about some of the thsba weigh ins I was involved in passed the smell test. Another giant CF was the regionals at ray bob when we all hauled fish to sanger high school. That was another access nightmare and completely unnecessary. If your gonna run that size of event you better be able to handle a weigh in quickly or you are gonna have dead fish, lots and lots of them.

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: wh2004] #14373006 05/20/22 06:28 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J

I think hundreds or thousands of people showing up at a lake carrying bass around in live wells all day then weighing them in through a process that results in unnecessarily high mortality is bad for the sport. I view it as a commercial exploitation of a public resource. I'd love to see tournaments regulated. Limit the number and size based on what the body of water can handle. I'd also like to see a ban on weigh-ins. Just one guys opinion. I don't expect you to agree with it, I lead off by saying it was unpopular.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: Jpurdue] #14373011 05/20/22 06:36 PM
J
J.H.S. Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J

I think hundreds or thousands of people showing up at a lake carrying bass around in live wells all day then weighing them in through a process that results in unnecessarily high mortality is bad for the sport. I view it as a commercial exploitation of a public resource. I'd love to see tournaments regulated. Limit the number and size based on what the body of water can handle. I'd also like to see a ban on weigh-ins. Just one guys opinion. I don't expect you to agree with it, I lead off by saying it was unpopular.

Unfortunately, people are doing that anyway. I was at Ivie yesterday and watched a two dudes pull a couple of 2 pounders (not exaggerating) out of their livewell to hold up and take a picture. The need for admiration and recognition is only growing.

Live Daringly, Boldy, and Fearlessly....Embrace the Challenge So That You May Feel the Exhiliration of Victory.

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: Jpurdue] #14373083 05/20/22 07:42 PM
T
Tx Tree Grower Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
LOL. More government rules, regulations, and fees is always the answer. Someone should give that a try and see how it works.

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: T Bird] #14373084 05/20/22 07:43 PM
J
J.H.S. Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
I was trying my best not to be judgemental, but it was difficult.

Live Daringly, Boldy, and Fearlessly....Embrace the Challenge So That You May Feel the Exhiliration of Victory.

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: N2Bass] #14373317 05/21/22 01:16 AM
rh47 Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted by N2Bass
Originally Posted by HDVS
Here are my thoughts if any one cares to read. High school fishing is being treated just like baseball has been. The rich will always have better equipment and better trainers/captains. The reason is some parents will spend twice as much than a scholarship just to say little Jonny got a full ride or is a state or national champion. It's a fact! I have seen it in both sports. My dad played professional baseball long ago, I played in college and both of my older boys played in college. My little one loves baseball but I would prefer him not even play bc it's all about specializing anymore. If they aren't big enough or throw over 92 they have no chance to get to where they want. I have watched parents spend thousands for special trainers, coaches and elite travel teams and most could never buy the ability for there kid but some will donate big enough amounts to programs to make it look like little Johnny is somebody. Or better yet we will have a signing ceremony with all the fluff and show for them to sign as a Preferred walk on. Which is nothing more than parents will pay 100% of it but at least them and the kid get to post that they committed to some University.

Fishing is headed down the same path. 100% driven by money and what amount parents will spend. The sad thing is the most talented but under funded will be left by the way side. Whether be from feeling so incompetent bc they don't have the equipment and the funds to do nothing else besides fish and make social media posts and youtube videos all day.

What ever happened to the days of if u work hard enough and long enough u will succeed? Yes I am very old school. Just how I was raised. I worked my tail off my whole life and have fished at the highest levels and been successful. Just chose to stay home and raise my kids when the circumstances called for it. I am really struggling with letting my youngest even get into the High School fishing. I prefer him learn the real side of the sport and fish his way up. And don't get me wrong I can afford for him to have the best and look the best but I want him to earn everything he has just like I did and my other boys were taught.

I was at the Toyota at Texoma and it was a cluster. Never had any bad situations with the kids or captains but I also do my best to avoid everyone I can on the water. Just better for my mental state when I am fishing.

I just alway's think about how the whole group of us that made it to the professional level back in the day stuggled and sacrificed to have a chance. Several of them are huge names in the sport to this day. Of course there were some that had the money but us that did it bc we truly love it will always appreciate it more and do what we can to protect the sport and the integrity of the sport.

Valid points.

I too see extremely similar patterns of youth tournament bass fishing to youth baseball. I was lucky enough to play college, pro, coach, and have now scouted for the last 10 years. Youth sports have become and are controlled by the platforms their parents have the resources for. The platforms are dependent on the revenue they capture from the parents. Creating a cycle where the kids get caught in storm.

Social media, in my opinion, is by in large the single most harmful item for youth sports. Parents mental masturbation is stimulated by over sensitizing accomplishments of their children. Their minds find ease and accomplishment by the number of "likes" "hearts" and congratulatory comments they get in response.
The sanctions running the platforms for the kids lure in the parents into those less than touted accomplishments through social media to keep their revenue trending up.

This is the world we live in. BASS Elite Series competitors are recognized more on their social media presence than their success in tournaments. The majority of their revenue comes from companies who see the most advertising traffic possibilities that the anglers create.

As parents, we have 2 options. 1...get sucked into the trap. 2...stand and show examples of what is right and live daily life not swayed by insignificant things that don't truly matter in the big picture of life.

Option 2 won't be considered the coolest parents on the block. But, chances are their children will absorb the values you passed on and those efforts create a better community for their generation and the next. It's our job to build that cycle in the right direction.

If we fall into the trap, we can't blame the monsters we create.

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: T Bird] #14373376 05/21/22 02:50 AM
F
Flip-n-go Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
As parents, we have 2 options. 1...get sucked into the trap. 2...stand and show examples of what is right and live daily life not swayed by insignificant things that don't truly matter in the big picture of life

My boys are grown & are great sticks, which contributes to their dedication to be best, whether fishing, parenting, business, & just being good citizens. Lot of people say, "it's not hard", but it is, to deflect pressures, remain focused on the center line of family & faith. THSHB whatever needs to get a handle on captains, procedures. & overall operations in the future to keep from getting kicked to the curb. Current direction of the organization doesn't look feasible to me. imho.

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: Flip-n-go] #14373387 05/21/22 03:04 AM
T
T-Slab Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Originally Posted by Flip-n-go
As parents, we have 2 options. 1...get sucked into the trap. 2...stand and show examples of what is right and live daily life not swayed by insignificant things that don't truly matter in the big picture of life

My boys are grown & are great sticks, which contributes to their dedication to be best, whether fishing, parenting, business, & just being good citizens. Lot of people say, "it's not hard", but it is, to deflect pressures, remain focused on the center line of family & faith. THSHB whatever needs to get a handle on captains, procedures. & overall operations in the future to keep from getting kicked to the curb. Current direction of the organization doesn't look feasible to me. imho.

Have you been a captain or just bumping your gums like the rest of the whiny biatches on this thread?

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: T-Slab] #14373416 05/21/22 04:19 AM
W
wh2004 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
W
Originally Posted by T-Slab
Originally Posted by Flip-n-go

Have you been a captain or just bumping your gums like the rest of the whiny biatches on this thread?

Lol how did that transition from his boys are great to THSHB sucks?

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide