Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: cruise to alaska [Re: tech] #14371080 05/18/22 03:32 PM
D
DCmac Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
Enjoy! WAAAAY better than anything anybody offers in the Caribbean or Mexico.
We did Holland's 3 week cruise-and-land tour several years ago. Loved it. Managed to save up enough we're doing a 2-week up & back cruise for our 50th in August.

Fishing, a man knows a serenity of soul and peace of mind that he finds in doing nothing else, and it makes no difference whether or not he catches anything. The mind of a true fisherman is not on petty subjects.
Re: cruise to alaska [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #14371081 05/18/22 03:33 PM
S
steveiam Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
Originally Posted by tsspencer2887
Its the "Crown Jewel" of cruises. I have been twice.

You wont be able to troll. But you will have a great time!

If you go to Skagway do the train deal to the Yukon. White pass or something? Its a blast. You will need a passport on you as they do go into Canada. But when I went it was not checked. Just asked if you had it.

If you stop in Ketchikan there are a few kayak outfitters who do a river to sea kayak trip. You're solo in a yak! They have a double option to pair up with kids or sucky paddlers. Its moderately challenging but incredible. Had an Orca breach 40 feet from me in the bay.

You can book these ahead of time direct with them and save 20%. They all know the cruise ship schedules and you will be treated just like those who booked through the ship.

If you have not ordered a drink package already and you are a drinker consider getting it as you board. They offer good deals and at $12 a beer... Well I plum wore them out both times based on my consumption vs. what I paid.

Have fun!

The Yukon Highway out of Skagway is excellent BUT when we went, Dad rented a van instead of the train or bus trip offered by the cruise. We went all the way up to Carcross at our own pace, stopped wherever we wanted, spent as much time as we wanted, all at a fraction of the price. I thought it would be the most boring part of the trip but it's still the part we talk about the most almost 15 years later.

So in our group part of them choose to do exactly that and they had a blast. They saw bears! We did not on the train. Really wished we had two days there and could have done both. But that rental and driving is a great option as well. Or the train. Cant go wrong either way.

And correction, the Kayaking from the river into the ocean that we did was not in Ketchikan. It was in Juneau!

Ketchikan we took a boat ride to the Fjords or whatever they are called. Was nice but a little underwhelming as they were not flowing due to a multi year drought they were having... that was only 18 months ago, they might still be having. Then in the afternoon just walked around and shopped which was cool. You will be amazed how many jewelers that little town has lol.

See any deer and deer stands while on that train-
Asking for a friend-

What has happed to you does not define who you are-

HOW you react to what happens to you DOES!
Re: cruise to alaska [Re: steveiam] #14371098 05/18/22 03:51 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Originally Posted by steveiam
Originally Posted by tsspencer2887
Its the "Crown Jewel" of cruises. I have been twice.

You wont be able to troll. But you will have a great time!

If you go to Skagway do the train deal to the Yukon. White pass or something? Its a blast. You will need a passport on you as they do go into Canada. But when I went it was not checked. Just asked if you had it.

If you stop in Ketchikan there are a few kayak outfitters who do a river to sea kayak trip. You're solo in a yak! They have a double option to pair up with kids or sucky paddlers. Its moderately challenging but incredible. Had an Orca breach 40 feet from me in the bay.

You can book these ahead of time direct with them and save 20%. They all know the cruise ship schedules and you will be treated just like those who booked through the ship.

If you have not ordered a drink package already and you are a drinker consider getting it as you board. They offer good deals and at $12 a beer... Well I plum wore them out both times based on my consumption vs. what I paid.

Have fun!

The Yukon Highway out of Skagway is excellent BUT when we went, Dad rented a van instead of the train or bus trip offered by the cruise. We went all the way up to Carcross at our own pace, stopped wherever we wanted, spent as much time as we wanted, all at a fraction of the price. I thought it would be the most boring part of the trip but it's still the part we talk about the most almost 15 years later.

So in our group part of them choose to do exactly that and they had a blast. They saw bears! We did not on the train. Really wished we had two days there and could have done both. But that rental and driving is a great option as well. Or the train. Cant go wrong either way.

And correction, the Kayaking from the river into the ocean that we did was not in Ketchikan. It was in Juneau!

Ketchikan we took a boat ride to the Fjords or whatever they are called. Was nice but a little underwhelming as they were not flowing due to a multi year drought they were having... that was only 18 months ago, they might still be having. Then in the afternoon just walked around and shopped which was cool. You will be amazed how many jewelers that little town has lol.

See any deer and deer stands while on that train-
Asking for a friend-

Not a one. There was no Tom Petty or Neil Young playing either.

Re: cruise to alaska [Re: DCmac] #14371100 05/18/22 03:56 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Originally Posted by DCmac
Enjoy! WAAAAY better than anything anybody offers in the Caribbean or Mexico.
We did Holland's 3 week cruise-and-land tour several years ago. Loved it. Managed to save up enough we're doing a 2-week up & back cruise for our 50th in August.

Mexico and the Caribbean suck hard compared to Alaska. And I like Mexico and the Caribbean. If you want to lay on a beach by all means go to either of those. They are nice. Warm water and what not. But be aware that sand, expensive booze and cheap trinkets are the same in every port. If you have been to one you have been to them all.

Alaska is where you go to really have an experience not just lay drunk on a beach... but you can lay drunk in Alaska too! Just not on a sandy beach. And be careful bears dont eat you while your laying out all drunk and what not...

Re: cruise to alaska [Re: tech] #14371104 05/18/22 04:00 PM
D
Dave-0 Offline
DYSON
DYSON
D
I've heard that the Alaska cruises are a bucket list item. After seeing all of Beartraps pic from the Alaskan route's, I'd say that is going to be a trip of a lifetime up there.

Laws won't fix a sin problem. What this world needs is a revival, change of the heart. ~The Skipper

Age is a number. Old is a lifestyle.
Re: cruise to alaska [Re: tech] #14371144 05/18/22 04:39 PM
T
tech Online Happy OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Happy
TFF Team Angler
T
Wow, Thanks for all the responses. We are doing the cruisetour, cruise up the inside passage and then take the Alaska Railroad up to Denali for a couple of days. Thanks again!

Trust your own instinct. Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone elses.
Re: cruise to alaska [Re: Dave-0] #14371517 05/18/22 11:12 PM
B
beartrap Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Dave-0
I've heard that the Alaska cruises are a bucket list item. After seeing all of Beartraps pic from the Alaskan route's, I'd say that is going to be a trip of a lifetime up there.

I had both the cruise and driving the alaskan highway on my bucket list....did cruise first and that scenery was so beautiful,it removed any hesitation about driving the Alaskan highway which i did the following year...

Re: cruise to alaska [Re: tech] #14371524 05/18/22 11:16 PM
Allison1 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by tech
Wow, Thanks for all the responses. We are doing the cruisetour, cruise up the inside passage and then take the Alaska Railroad up to Denali for a couple of days. Thanks again!

Take a quality pair of binoculars or a scope. You spend a lot of time cruising along a path with mountains rising from the water.
Lots of animal life to enjoy from your balcony.

Re: cruise to alaska [Re: Patriot Guard Rider] #14371596 05/19/22 12:47 AM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by Patriot Guard Rider
The inside passage cruise on Holland America is the best cruise we've ever been on. Went out of Vancouver with stops in Skagway, Ketchikan and Juneau.

We took that train ride out of Skagway and it was great. Also took a whale watching trip out of Juneau and ended up seeing at least six humpbacks "bubble fishing" about a 100 yards in front of the boat. Great afternoon!

wonder if that would work on fork?

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: cruise to alaska [Re: tech] #14371639 05/19/22 01:51 AM
gregpaul Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

If you have time spend about 4 hrs or more in the state museum at Anchorage, you won’t regret it

Re: cruise to alaska [Re: gregpaul] #14371700 05/19/22 03:09 AM
R
RBDavis3591 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted by gregpaul

If you have time spend about 4 hrs or more in the state museum at Anchorage, you won’t regret it

Do you mean the State Museum in Juneau or the Alaska Museum of Science and Nature in Anchorage?

Re: cruise to alaska [Re: tech] #14371737 05/19/22 04:36 AM
T
TxDanFishMan Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Go see the Mendenhall Glacier just outside of Juneau or take the tram to the mountaintop if the weather is clear.
In Ketchikan make time out for some Fish-n-Chips, some the best you will ever have.
Taking a small boat on whaling cruise.
So many great excursions.

Slide right, coming in .... Fish On!
Re: cruise to alaska [Re: tech] #14371752 05/19/22 10:40 AM
P
Patriot Guard Rider Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
A few shots from our inside passage cruise.

The natives actually call these "Story Poles", not totems.
[Linked Image]

It was near the end of the salmon run when we were there, but there were still a few big 'ens swimming upstream.
[Linked Image]

I really don't understand how the salmon make it up some of these!
[Linked Image]

I thought these two whales were going to ram our little whale-watching boat.
[Linked Image]

Large male seals on Little Island. The females are out with the new "calfs" to keep the males from eating them!
[Linked Image]

I thought this big guy would fly away as we approached this marker bouy, but he just sat and watched us pass by heading in from whale watching.
[Linked Image]

The White Pass/Yukon train
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Family is everything!

Life is precious. We don’t have forever. We have now. This moment. We can choose to love our lives now.

Re: cruise to alaska [Re: RBDavis3591] #14371770 05/19/22 11:17 AM
gregpaul Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by RBDavis3591
Originally Posted by gregpaul

Do you mean the State Museum in Juneau or the Alaska Museum of Science and Nature in Anchorage?

The one in Anchorage

Re: cruise to alaska [Re: tech] #14371778 05/19/22 11:31 AM
TexDawg Online Content
Top Dawg
Online Content
Top Dawg
Alaska is a destination we discuss often, going to go in a few years I hope

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide