Forums59
Topics1,039,218
Posts13,961,133
Members144,196
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: ricochetrabbit] #14369406 05/16/22 08:01 PM
K
Ken Starling Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Correct. They offer over $1 million in scholarships but to those schools only. One thing about us is your scholarships can be applied to any type of further education (trades schools, college, whatever and if you join the military we cut them a check with proof of enlistment papers).
Originally Posted by ricochetrabbit
Originally Posted by Txduckhunter
Originally Posted by ricochetrabbit
Originally Posted by Douglas J
I fully expect to see some of the bigger trails to start "high school divisions" in Texas.

There is a market to make some money.

MLF and Bassmaster already have high school divisions and host sanctioned tournaments in each state. Bassmaster has their own national tournament and MLF funnels into a national/world tournament hosted by TBF/SAF. It sounds crazy but they had a couple of teams from South Africa last year.

TTZ has a reduced entry fee for adult/youth team. Basschamps also permits adult/youth teams. The big bass formats also permit youth anglers, in fact I think a young man won the boat this year.

Nationals and world are two separate events run at the same time. They draw 300 plus teams and the actual payout is dismal. Anyone that is a member of SAF can fish the "world" event, no qualifications neccessary. Been there, done that.
I know at one time, there was a little discussion about Champs running a HS series but I am guessing they went another direction.

Payout. roflmao

Yeah they got me. I didn't know it at the time but most of the payout included scholarship money to random schools I never heard of like Middle Panhandle West Virginia Lonely Women University, not a school of your choice.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: RKT] #14369447 05/16/22 08:53 PM
N
N2Bass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Originally Posted by RKT
What a lot of people appear to miss is the reason that the high school fishing was started. High school fishing is a way to get students who do not really have a connection with their school to gain that connection. Many of these kids do not participate in any other extra-curricular activities. By getting the kids active in an extra-curricular activity the more likely they are to attend school, improve grades, and establish better work habits. High school fishing goes way beyond the realm of just competitive fishing. I have seen it turn some kids around that likely would not have finished high school. I have seen it get kids to spend every weekend they could with their dad when they rarely spent time with him before. I have seen a 16 year old who ended up by the end of his senior year considering his dad as his best friend. I have seen it create a bond with a step dad and a step son. I have seen students who were loners at school become part of a friend group and that enhanced the students life exponentially.

If you limit the participation numbers you will we be losing some of those kids that we could have impacted?

In my opinion the numbers could be lowered at regionals and state, but the season tournaments need to involve all the kids in order to fully impact as many students as possible.

Actually, I think most people realize all these things. Sportsman, mostly, all do these things for the exact reasons you list above. Very well said and the examples you list should be the foundation of what we do as sportsmen to introduce youth to the outdoors.

But in the same breath, it’s also important for us to be examples as stewards of the resources and sportsmanship.

Such as doing everything possible to care for fish, teach them boater safety, courtesy on the water to other anglers, etc.

324 boats in a rock bowl impoundment makes all those things very difficult.

The THSBA is way past just helping troubled kids out or building relationships. I mean, it does those things, yes. But it is extremely competitive and used as a platform for kids to turn the hobby of bass fishing into a profession in the industry. So much so, families are paying pros to “boat captain” their kids for the season schedule.

Last edited by N2Bass; 05/16/22 08:57 PM.
Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: Ken Starling] #14369454 05/16/22 09:01 PM
R
ricochetrabbit Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted by Ken Starling
Correct. They offer over $1 million in scholarships but to those schools only. One thing about us is your scholarships can be applied to any type of further education (trades schools, college, whatever and if you join the military we cut them a check with proof of enlistment papers).

I have the THSBA scholarship application partially filled out sitting on my desk. I wish I could put a few more zeroes on it though. LOL

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: N2Bass] #14369463 05/16/22 09:14 PM
R
ricochetrabbit Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted by N2Bass
Originally Posted by RKT
What a lot of people appear to miss is the reason that the high school fishing was started. High school fishing is a way to get students who do not really have a connection with their school to gain that connection. Many of these kids do not participate in any other extra-curricular activities. By getting the kids active in an extra-curricular activity the more likely they are to attend school, improve grades, and establish better work habits. High school fishing goes way beyond the realm of just competitive fishing. I have seen it turn some kids around that likely would not have finished high school. I have seen it get kids to spend every weekend they could with their dad when they rarely spent time with him before. I have seen a 16 year old who ended up by the end of his senior year considering his dad as his best friend. I have seen it create a bond with a step dad and a step son. I have seen students who were loners at school become part of a friend group and that enhanced the students life exponentially.

If you limit the participation numbers you will we be losing some of those kids that we could have impacted?

In my opinion the numbers could be lowered at regionals and state, but the season tournaments need to involve all the kids in order to fully impact as many students as possible.

Actually, I think most people realize all these things. Sportsman, mostly, all do these things for the exact reasons you list above. Very well said and the examples you list should be the foundation of what we do as sportsmen to introduce youth to the outdoors.

But in the same breath, it’s also important for us to be examples as stewards of the resources and sportsmanship.

Such as doing everything possible to care for fish, teach them boater safety, courtesy on the water to other anglers, etc.

324 boats in a rock bowl impoundment makes all those things very difficult.

The THSBA is way past just helping troubled kids out or building relationships. I mean, it does those things, yes. But it is extremely competitive and used as a platform for kids to turn the hobby of bass fishing into a profession in the industry. So much so, families are paying pros to “boat captain” their kids for the season schedule.

Let's be honest, it was a bunch of guys standing around one day after a tournament drinking beers and one of them touted his kid was a good stick and could beat out anyone else's kid. smile

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: T Bird] #14369475 05/16/22 09:23 PM
R
ricochetrabbit Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
[Linked Image]

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: T Bird] #14369624 05/17/22 12:20 AM
slim 285 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
If the high school needs to whittle down so does all the other big tournaments. Y’all opening a can of worms nobody is going to be happy with .

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: slim 285] #14369631 05/17/22 12:39 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by slim 285
If the high school needs to whittle down so does all the other big tournaments. Y’all opening a can of worms nobody is going to be happy with .

They do.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: SteezMacQueen] #14369701 05/17/22 02:29 AM
slim 285 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted by slim 285

They do.

And so will all the other big tournaments

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: T Bird] #14370341 05/17/22 07:34 PM
R
RKT Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Can you imagine if the state told B.A.S.S. and MLF (including BFL and Toyota Series) that they had to knock their fields down to only 100 boats in Texas tournaments to be able to have tournaments in Texas?

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: RKT] #14370372 05/17/22 07:50 PM
J
J.H.S. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by RKT
Can you imagine if the state told B.A.S.S. and MLF (including BFL and Toyota Series) that they had to knock their fields down to only 100 boats in Texas tournaments to be able to have tournaments in Texas?

Honestly, I think it would be funny. Maybe the term "pro" would gain some value again.

Live Daringly, Boldy, and Fearlessly....Embrace the Challenge So That You May Feel the Exhiliration of Victory.

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: T Bird] #14370448 05/17/22 09:11 PM
HDVS Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Here are my thoughts if any one cares to read. High school fishing is being treated just like baseball has been. The rich will always have better equipment and better trainers/captains. The reason is some parents will spend twice as much than a scholarship just to say little Jonny got a full ride or is a state or national champion. It's a fact! I have seen it in both sports. My dad played professional baseball long ago, I played in college and both of my older boys played in college. My little one loves baseball but I would prefer him not even play bc it's all about specializing anymore. If they aren't big enough or throw over 92 they have no chance to get to where they want. I have watched parents spend thousands for special trainers, coaches and elite travel teams and most could never buy the ability for there kid but some will donate big enough amounts to programs to make it look like little Johnny is somebody. Or better yet we will have a signing ceremony with all the fluff and show for them to sign as a Preferred walk on. Which is nothing more than parents will pay 100% of it but at least them and the kid get to post that they committed to some University.

Fishing is headed down the same path. 100% driven by money and what amount parents will spend. The sad thing is the most talented but under funded will be left by the way side. Whether be from feeling so incompetent bc they don't have the equipment and the funds to do nothing else besides fish and make social media posts and youtube videos all day.

What ever happened to the days of if u work hard enough and long enough u will succeed? Yes I am very old school. Just how I was raised. I worked my tail off my whole life and have fished at the highest levels and been successful. Just chose to stay home and raise my kids when the circumstances called for it. I am really struggling with letting my youngest even get into the High School fishing. I prefer him learn the real side of the sport and fish his way up. And don't get me wrong I can afford for him to have the best and look the best but I want him to earn everything he has just like I did and my other boys were taught.

I was at the Toyota at Texoma and it was a cluster. Never had any bad situations with the kids or captains but I also do my best to avoid everyone I can on the water. Just better for my mental state when I am fishing.

I just alway's think about how the whole group of us that made it to the professional level back in the day stuggled and sacrificed to have a chance. Several of them are huge names in the sport to this day. Of course there were some that had the money but us that did it bc we truly love it will always appreciate it more and do what we can to protect the sport and the integrity of the sport.

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: T Bird] #14372078 05/19/22 04:21 PM
J
Joey J. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I had no idea what to expect from Belton going into this tournament. I knew it was deep and clear water. No big deal after fishing Texoma for the Regional qualifier.

My trolling motor fell apart on practice day so i spent the entire day looking for parts or a replacement trolling motor to no avail. We used one of my anglers Dad's boat for day 1, but ended up spinning the prop. They ended up catching several fish, but only one over 14", 262nd place after day 1.

So back to my boat and no trolling motor for day 2. It was an adjustment not having a trolling motor, but my anglers overcame the adversity and managed to put two keepers in the live well. They finished the tournament in 212th place,

The winning weights were about what i thought they would be soon after we started on day 1.

I really enjoyed being a captain for these two anglers this year. We zeroed in the first tournament out of the box. Had a second place finish at Texoma (by 1.6 oz.), and finished all other tournaments respectfully. One of my anglers got Angler Of The Year and the other Rookie Of The Year for their high school. I"m pretty sure they learned much from the experience.

I do have concerns for the size of the tournaments. Even the divisional tournaments have at least 160 boats. Not a big deal on larger impoundments, but on smaller lakes made for very few fishing opportunities. I never saw any dangerous boating and all of the competitors were always nice to talk to on the water. I'm sure many of us on the forum wished that a circuit like this would have existed when we were in high school.

I think it's great that we have so many captains willing to volunteer our time to guide young anglers and give them an opportunity to do something other than being on XBOX or some other game console. I'm an educator and i've seen the results of kids being raised by Ipad. It doesn't look good. I like the option of getting kids outdoors and or on the water much better.

Thanks Ken and THSBA for the opportunity and the time you put in to make this circuit happen.

Joey J.

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: HDVS] #14372137 05/19/22 05:08 PM
N
N2Bass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Originally Posted by HDVS
Here are my thoughts if any one cares to read. High school fishing is being treated just like baseball has been. The rich will always have better equipment and better trainers/captains. The reason is some parents will spend twice as much than a scholarship just to say little Jonny got a full ride or is a state or national champion. It's a fact! I have seen it in both sports. My dad played professional baseball long ago, I played in college and both of my older boys played in college. My little one loves baseball but I would prefer him not even play bc it's all about specializing anymore. If they aren't big enough or throw over 92 they have no chance to get to where they want. I have watched parents spend thousands for special trainers, coaches and elite travel teams and most could never buy the ability for there kid but some will donate big enough amounts to programs to make it look like little Johnny is somebody. Or better yet we will have a signing ceremony with all the fluff and show for them to sign as a Preferred walk on. Which is nothing more than parents will pay 100% of it but at least them and the kid get to post that they committed to some University.

Fishing is headed down the same path. 100% driven by money and what amount parents will spend. The sad thing is the most talented but under funded will be left by the way side. Whether be from feeling so incompetent bc they don't have the equipment and the funds to do nothing else besides fish and make social media posts and youtube videos all day.

What ever happened to the days of if u work hard enough and long enough u will succeed? Yes I am very old school. Just how I was raised. I worked my tail off my whole life and have fished at the highest levels and been successful. Just chose to stay home and raise my kids when the circumstances called for it. I am really struggling with letting my youngest even get into the High School fishing. I prefer him learn the real side of the sport and fish his way up. And don't get me wrong I can afford for him to have the best and look the best but I want him to earn everything he has just like I did and my other boys were taught.

I was at the Toyota at Texoma and it was a cluster. Never had any bad situations with the kids or captains but I also do my best to avoid everyone I can on the water. Just better for my mental state when I am fishing.

I just alway's think about how the whole group of us that made it to the professional level back in the day stuggled and sacrificed to have a chance. Several of them are huge names in the sport to this day. Of course there were some that had the money but us that did it bc we truly love it will always appreciate it more and do what we can to protect the sport and the integrity of the sport.

Valid points.

I too see extremely similar patterns of youth tournament bass fishing to youth baseball. I was lucky enough to play college, pro, coach, and have now scouted for the last 10 years. Youth sports have become and are controlled by the platforms their parents have the resources for. The platforms are dependent on the revenue they capture from the parents. Creating a cycle where the kids get caught in storm.

Social media, in my opinion, is by in large the single most harmful item for youth sports. Parents mental masturbation is stimulated by over sensitizing accomplishments of their children. Their minds find ease and accomplishment by the number of "likes" "hearts" and congratulatory comments they get in response.
The sanctions running the platforms for the kids lure in the parents into those less than touted accomplishments through social media to keep their revenue trending up.

This is the world we live in. BASS Elite Series competitors are recognized more on their social media presence than their success in tournaments. The majority of their revenue comes from companies who see the most advertising traffic possibilities that the anglers create.

As parents, we have 2 options. 1...get sucked into the trap. 2...stand and show examples of what is right and live daily life not swayed by insignificant things that don't truly matter in the big picture of life.

Option 2 won't be considered the coolest parents on the block. But, chances are their children will absorb the values you passed on and those efforts create a better community for their generation and the next. It's our job to build that cycle in the right direction.

If we fall into the trap, we can't blame the monsters we create.

Last edited by N2Bass; 05/19/22 05:18 PM.
Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: HDVS] #14372314 05/19/22 08:39 PM
blazeplatt Offline
Angler
Angler

I'm very much against banning the newest technology at the higher levels of fishing but at the high school level I would like to at the very least see no forward facing technology. There are quite a few people that want to voice the argument that we are losing our instincts to catch fish. This would be a great opportunity to advance these kid's natural fishing skills at an age that would benefit them most.

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: N2Bass] #14372366 05/19/22 09:35 PM
HDVS Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted by N2Bass

Valid points.

I too see extremely similar patterns of youth tournament bass fishing to youth baseball. I was lucky enough to play college, pro, coach, and have now scouted for the last 10 years. Youth sports have become and are controlled by the platforms their parents have the resources for. The platforms are dependent on the revenue they capture from the parents. Creating a cycle where the kids get caught in storm.

Social media, in my opinion, is by in large the single most harmful item for youth sports. Parents mental masturbation is stimulated by over sensitizing accomplishments of their children. Their minds find ease and accomplishment by the number of "likes" "hearts" and congratulatory comments they get in response.
The sanctions running the platforms for the kids lure in the parents into those less than touted accomplishments through social media to keep their revenue trending up.

This is the world we live in. BASS Elite Series competitors are recognized more on their social media presence than their success in tournaments. The majority of their revenue comes from companies who see the most advertising traffic possibilities that the anglers create.

As parents, we have 2 options. 1...get sucked into the trap. 2...stand and show examples of what is right and live daily life not swayed by insignificant things that don't truly matter in the big picture of life.

Option 2 won't be considered the coolest parents on the block. But, chances are their children will absorb the values you passed on and those efforts create a better community for their generation and the next. It's our job to build that cycle in the right direction.

If we fall into the trap, we can't blame the monsters we create.

Very true comments!

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide