Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: UTDmiller] #14369278 05/16/22 06:27 PM
K
Ken Starling Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
What board members being paid? Tim? He was TD for that season . You can email Glenda at bass@thsba.net and request them. I get them at our meetings a couple of times a year.
Originally Posted by UTDmiller
Originally Posted by Ken Starling
Aw Doug you know we all love you.. I did apologize for the hater comment… come on.

I will state this again for everyone. The THSBA board members are all 100% volunteers. We do pay the tournament directors and our office lady. Beyond that we do not collect any monetary reimbursement from the association.

Growing pains, you would think it would be over with the growth. When we go into our summer meeting all we know is what the numbers were last season. We have no idea how many new schools are joining before the first event so all we can do at that point is try to adjust and over the years I feel like we have. When we hit 300 boats a few years back at Lewisville we were taking off by boat numbers and we immediately started trailering events the next event. Then come the following season we split that division. So it is very hard to determine what we are going to have once season starts. Believe it or not we still get 10-25 new schools ever year.

Do I get upset at times , yes and the simple answer is this. There are 3 of us still here that started the THSBA 10 years ago with a small group of kids and schools. For many years we did the tournaments ( me, Tim and Steve Holland) off a flat bed trailer and gave gift cards to everyone. Every expense was on us not the THSBA. So we have been doing this from the get go. My son graduated after the first season, Tim’s son graduated after the 2nd season and Steve has never had his own kids in the association he had started a HS and JR program at Kaufman and that’s how this all started. So I do take offense when people come on here and say we are getting rich, etc..etc.. I do get upset when people that do not know what all we talk about on a weekly basis come on and say we need to do this , we need to do that. Are we perfect. Nope and I apologize for that. We do care and we will try the best we can to make the changes needed to continue on.

This weekend alone we awarded over $60,000 in scholarships and prizes with this season being over $600,000

To see the smiles and high fives from parents and kids all weekend and seeing Seniors that have been with us for the past 4 years makes it all worth it.

I’m not the English major so forgive my grammar and punctuation..

That’s all I have to say. You all continue and carry on and have a great day.

[quote=Douglas J][quote=N2Bass][quote=J.P. Greeson][quote=N2Bass]That limits entries.

Can you Share more recent financials then? The tax return shared a week or two ago showed board members being paid Edit: 2017 , and 33% of entry money being held over in cash at the end of the year. Of course, with only 1 year to look at that isnt enough to make a decision one way or the other.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: N2Bass] #14369281 05/16/22 06:28 PM
W
wh2004 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
W
Originally Posted by N2Bass
Originally Posted by Douglas J
I fully expect to see some of the bigger trails to start "high school divisions" in Texas.

There is a market to make some money.

Just follow the select baseball model.

Millionaires to be had soon. I agree.

Parents will spend thousands for a Facebook brag.

Our poor fish are doomed.

You should probably quit bass fishing then.

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: Ken Starling] #14369288 05/16/22 06:33 PM
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
All that money was given to the park sir.
Originally Posted by ETXfisher91
Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
This may be a dumb question, but why don't fewer teams qualify for the state championship?

Everyone gets participate now a days!

And it's non profit! But just buy a $10 parking pass if you don't mind.

The end result is awesome and it's good to see kids getting to have fun and be rewarded.

But, honestly maybe y'all should revisit this whole concept and look at the profitability you may be missing out on. It's okay to make a profit, look at the money made by a few of the larger tourney organizations.

a "for profit" organization could be started.

The guy that talked about a youth bass club. That is an idea and then a "top 6" championship state wide.

The opportunities are there for sure and people will spend money on their kids.

#MFGA
Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: T Bird] #14369291 05/16/22 06:35 PM
R
ricochetrabbit Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I heard it took 25 to win. That's dang good especially because Belton can hurt your feelings.

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: wh2004] #14369292 05/16/22 06:36 PM
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by wh2004
I fully expect to see some of the bigger trails to start "high school divisions" in Texas.

Just follow the select baseball model.

Millionaires to be had soon. I agree.

Parents will spend thousands for a Facebook brag.

Our poor fish are doomed.

You should probably quit bass fishing then.

The fish will be fine. There are a lot more that fish for bass that do not tourney fish than do.

And you are correct the same type of model could make some real money.

WAWI does the bar want to sponsor a youth trail ? laugh

#MFGA
Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14369293 05/16/22 06:37 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
This may be a dumb question, but why don't fewer teams qualify for the state championship?

Exactly my question. Gotta be a way to whittle this down to 100, or less teams.

325 teams? This ain’t a championship. This was a smash n grab!

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: ricochetrabbit] #14369296 05/16/22 06:40 PM
R
RKT Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted by ricochetrabbit
I heard it took 25 to win. That's dang good especially because Belton can hurt your feelings.

So did Weekender win in regards to the original question of this post?

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: T Bird] #14369301 05/16/22 06:41 PM
David Welcher Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
My hats off for all of you volunteers, I don't know how you all do it!

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: Ken Starling] #14369311 05/16/22 06:47 PM
U
UTDmiller Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
What board members being paid? Tim? He was TD for that season . You can email Glenda at bass@thsba.net and request them. I get them at our meetings a couple of times a year.
Originally Posted by UTDmiller
Aw Doug you know we all love you.. I did apologize for the hater comment… come on.

I will state this again for everyone. The THSBA board members are all 100% volunteers. We do pay the tournament directors and our office lady. Beyond that we do not collect any monetary reimbursement from the association.

Growing pains, you would think it would be over with the growth. When we go into our summer meeting all we know is what the numbers were last season. We have no idea how many new schools are joining before the first event so all we can do at that point is try to adjust and over the years I feel like we have. When we hit 300 boats a few years back at Lewisville we were taking off by boat numbers and we immediately started trailering events the next event. Then come the following season we split that division. So it is very hard to determine what we are going to have once season starts. Believe it or not we still get 10-25 new schools ever year.

Do I get upset at times , yes and the simple answer is this. There are 3 of us still here that started the THSBA 10 years ago with a small group of kids and schools. For many years we did the tournaments ( me, Tim and Steve Holland) off a flat bed trailer and gave gift cards to everyone. Every expense was on us not the THSBA. So we have been doing this from the get go. My son graduated after the first season, Tim’s son graduated after the 2nd season and Steve has never had his own kids in the association he had started a HS and JR program at Kaufman and that’s how this all started. So I do take offense when people come on here and say we are getting rich, etc..etc.. I do get upset when people that do not know what all we talk about on a weekly basis come on and say we need to do this , we need to do that. Are we perfect. Nope and I apologize for that. We do care and we will try the best we can to make the changes needed to continue on.

This weekend alone we awarded over $60,000 in scholarships and prizes with this season being over $600,000

To see the smiles and high fives from parents and kids all weekend and seeing Seniors that have been with us for the past 4 years makes it all worth it.

I’m not the English major so forgive my grammar and punctuation..

That’s all I have to say. You all continue and carry on and have a great day.

[quote=Douglas J][quote=N2Bass][quote=J.P. Greeson][quote=N2Bass]That limits entries.

Can you Share more recent financials then? The tax return shared a week or two ago showed board members being paid Edit: 2017 , and 33% of entry money being held over in cash at the end of the year. Of course, with only 1 year to look at that isnt enough to make a decision one way or the other.

Tim was paid a hair under $15k and Matt Paid 39,825, 2 more ladies paid roughly 2500 i assume the secretary/treasurer. Revenue minus income for that year was $247,000 (total revenue was $629,000). However total Salaries/Wages/Compensation paid out was $130,059 so more workers paid outside the directors separately listed. Awards and Prizes was listed at $94,838 with another $83,826 paid out in grants and assistance to individuals but no breakdown listed because i guess each one is under the threshold.

Cash on hand rose $170,000 during the year.

John Miller
Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: Ken Starling] #14369316 05/16/22 06:50 PM
Collindave Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
I am a faculty sponsor and boat captain. it is a privilege to help the anglers learn how to bass fish; sometimes it is tough but most of the time it is an absolute privilege. THSBA seems like a solid organization and I respect what they are doing.

A concerning factor is the size of teams which translates into size of tourney fields, and then regionals, then state.

Is there a cap for teams a school or district can have? Our school has 10 teams and all 10 teams sometimes enter a tournament. if we had 20 or 30 teams, to my knowledge, all 20 or 30 could enter each tournament. this is crazy, to me

there has to be some sort of a cap.

25 weigh bags for 325 boats is just insane. our angler waited in line for over 45 min. 99 degree heat. sure aint good, even if it wasnt hot. surely the organization has more bags?

Last edited by Collindave; 05/16/22 06:58 PM.
Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: Douglas J] #14369321 05/16/22 06:53 PM
R
ricochetrabbit Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R

MLF and Bassmaster already have high school divisions and host sanctioned tournaments in each state. Bassmaster has their own national tournament and MLF funnels into a national/world tournament hosted by TBF/SAF. It sounds crazy but they had a couple of teams from South Africa last year.

TTZ has a reduced entry fee for adult/youth team. Basschamps also permits adult/youth teams. The big bass formats also permit youth anglers, in fact I think a young man won the boat this year.

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: ricochetrabbit] #14369356 05/16/22 07:23 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T

MLF and Bassmaster already have high school divisions and host sanctioned tournaments in each state. Bassmaster has their own national tournament and MLF funnels into a national/world tournament hosted by TBF/SAF. It sounds crazy but they had a couple of teams from South Africa last year.

TTZ has a reduced entry fee for adult/youth team. Basschamps also permits adult/youth teams. The big bass formats also permit youth anglers, in fact I think a young man won the boat this year.

Nationals and world are two separate events run at the same time. They draw 300 plus teams and the actual payout is dismal. Anyone that is a member of SAF can fish the "world" event, no qualifications neccessary. Been there, done that.
I know at one time, there was a little discussion about Champs running a HS series but I am guessing they went another direction.

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: T Bird] #14369372 05/16/22 07:36 PM
R
RKT Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
What a lot of people appear to miss is the reason that the high school fishing was started. High school fishing is a way to get students who do not really have a connection with their school to gain that connection. Many of these kids do not participate in any other extra-curricular activities. By getting the kids active in an extra-curricular activity the more likely they are to attend school, improve grades, and establish better work habits. High school fishing goes way beyond the realm of just competitive fishing. I have seen it turn some kids around that likely would not have finished high school. I have seen it get kids to spend every weekend they could with their dad when they rarely spent time with him before. I have seen a 16 year old who ended up by the end of his senior year considering his dad as his best friend. I have seen it create a bond with a step dad and a step son. I have seen students who were loners at school become part of a friend group and that enhanced the students life exponentially.

If you limit the participation numbers you will we be losing some of those kids that we could have impacted?

In my opinion the numbers could be lowered at regionals and state, but the season tournaments need to involve all the kids in order to fully impact as many students as possible.

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: Collindave] #14369385 05/16/22 07:44 PM
K
Ken Starling Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
To answer your questions.

At this time there is no cap for the number of teams a school or district can have. I am not sure we would ever put a cap on the number of teams. To me that takes away from the respective schools program. Also could eliminate kids that are not part of other groups. Not sure what it would do to be honest.

If you give out more than 25 bags then the kids will stand in line with their fish in the bags. We have spots for 25 bags in the tanks with air thus the reason for 25 bags. This is also why we don’t want the kids to use their own bags. I understand standing in line for 45 minutes for a bag is frustrating but there is a reason. Hope that helps understand.
Originally Posted by Collindave
I am a faculty sponsor and boat captain. it is a privilege to help the anglers learn how to bass fish; sometimes it is tough but most of the time it is an absolute privilege. THSBA seems like a solid organization and I respect what they are doing.

A concerning factor is the size of teams which translates into size of tourney fields, and then regionals, then state.

Is there a cap for teams a school or district can have? Our school has 10 teams and all 10 teams sometimes enter a tournament. if we had 20 or 30 teams, to my knowledge, all 20 or 30 could enter each tournament. this is crazy, to me

there has to be some sort of a cap.

25 weigh bags for 325 boats is just insane. our angler waited in line for over 45 min. 99 degree heat. sure aint good, even if it wasnt hot. surely the organization has more bags?

Last edited by Ken Starling; 05/16/22 07:58 PM.

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: Txduckhunter] #14369401 05/16/22 07:55 PM
R
ricochetrabbit Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted by Txduckhunter

Nationals and world are two separate events run at the same time. They draw 300 plus teams and the actual payout is dismal. Anyone that is a member of SAF can fish the "world" event, no qualifications neccessary. Been there, done that.
I know at one time, there was a little discussion about Champs running a HS series but I am guessing they went another direction.

Payout. roflmao

Yeah they got me. I didn't know it at the time but most of the payout included scholarship money to random schools I never heard of like Middle Panhandle West Virginia Lonely Women University, not a school of your choice.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide