Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: T Bird] #14369236 05/16/22 05:52 PM
R
ricochetrabbit Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Dang it T-Bird, wasn't this supposed be a fun guess the weight thread? roflmao

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: N2Bass] #14369242 05/16/22 05:55 PM
R
RKT Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted by N2Bass
Originally Posted by WAWI
Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower
I've fished BASS opens, BFL, Toyota's and everything in between. I've never been involved in a tournament where pressure was as big of a factor as this one. 325 boats on a lake down to a little over 11.000 acres. I counted over 50 boats from where we started on Saturday morning. To everyone's credit, I never saw any tempers flare. Thankfully everyone seemed to understand it was just a situation you had to make the best of. Kudos to all the captains and anglers that we encountered for being courteous and respectful. I was proud of my guys for grinding out a limit both days. It was a grind. Congrats to the winners. Hopefully THSBA learned some lessons this year on the size of their Regional and State Tournaments. Growing is a good thing, but it's time they make some changes to their end of season events. They are simply to large.

Oh, crowded doesn't even come close to explaining this situation. Never seen anything like it. Every boat captain I spoke w/ was just thankful they were alive.

Congrats to the Champions! Congrats to those who held the trophies after at least 2 long exhausting days on and off the water.

My guys did surprising well the first day (considering for what Belton offered) after a poor practice. They weighed in 10.19 lbs which would have put them in 20th place. But they had a dead fish penalty that kicked them back to 32nd. Still respectable w/ 324 boats. No surprise on the dead fish. They had a 100 qt Yeti stuffed full of them after we weighed in with still about half the field waiting. Boys waited in line for almost an hour, in the sun after being in the sun all day, for a weigh in bag. Before anyone asks, we did everything possible to help the fish and have a more than ample boat w/ systems to care for the fish. But basically 2 hours in a hot box was just too much for 1 of ours.

After that experience, we swung big Sunday morning knowing making up 5 lbs would take a nearly miracle. At 11:30 am after throwing back their Belton bullets, they weighed their options of another beat down weigh-in and a chance at a gift card, or head home. They chose home, and I was as thrilled as if they would have won it. Quitting is never the answer, but as long as they were happy with it, I was too knowing the work they put in all year to get there and the day they had on Saturday.

It was an experience. I'll say that.

As sophomore's, my guys learned a lot and had some success. After a butt kicking as freshman, they worked hard and took 3rd in the AOY this year. Got a few top 10's and a respectable Regional finish.

Both of them have no interest in doing it again next year. They've chosen to take their chances on a different trail for now.

Thanks for the memories THSBA. It's been real. Will never undervalue the effort and hours you all put in. I sincerely appreciate that and have explained it to the kids over and over.

Hoping some changes will be done in efforts to keep events safe and protect our fisheries.

One of the last events I captained was on whitney several years ago, rather than have the tent near the ramp you had to drive around into the middle of the state park, there was a disaster of a line trying to get in there, after an hour I made the kids get out lug the weigh in bag across a field down a dirt road to the stage. I'm sure that every fish weighed in during that cf of a mess was a either dead or gonna be dead. It was the dumbest set up that I ever saw an a disgrace to the spirit of conservation. It was that tourny that I decided I was done past that year. It was a trailer event, if they would have put the tents near the ramp boats could have pulled in weighed and been gone. Instead they created one of the worst traffic jam of boats I have ever seen anywhere in addition to driving around the lake. It turned a five minute boat ride into an extra 2 hours on trailer, god knows how long in line. That organization seems oblivious to that kinda stuff. They either dont know or dont care if it still goes on. Then when anyone says something you get a bunch of butt hurt from the directors. That's a fact.

They had 25 bags for weigh in. Kids have to use THSBA bags for weigh in. I understand the concept. Only 25 bags means only 25 kids standing in line w/ a black bag full of fish. Instead of a 324 with their own bags.

But something has to be done. Imagine a kid grinding all day in the heat, catching their last fish w/ 10 minutes left. Getting everything packed and ready quickly, caring for their fish like it's their baby, then waiting in line for almost an hour to get a bag, walking to get fish, only to see one wobbling on its side. Then get to weigh in and it ain't good. It sucks. Part of it I guess. But standing in the heat for almost an hour while those fish baked makes it worse. Was proud of them they decided not to do that the next day knowing they weren't in the running to win.

If the competitors follow directions there is no way they should be standing in a line while fish bake. While they are standing in line the fish should be in a livewell just like they are all day in a lake. The anglers and captains should be taking the proper precautions to keep the water temp low. The fish should be taken straight from the livewell to the aerated tanks at the weigh in. There will not be a line that keeps them from getting to the tanks. Look at the THSBA tournaments for the year and you will see that the number of dead fish are really low. A lot of the times the problems are a result of the anglers and captain not following directions.

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: WAWI] #14369245 05/16/22 05:59 PM
R
RKT Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted by WAWI
Originally Posted by RKT
So after you saw how it was ran and decided you had better ideas, how much of your time did you decide to volunteer for the kids to make it better for them?

I volunteered to drive kids that weren't mine all over the state, to fish outa my boat, my time, my gas, for no compensation or reimbursement, practice, hotels etc., for 3 years. I did this while missing my own kids baseball, football etc. So you can stick that up your rear. I did more than my fair share and the cherry on top was when I had question for Ken Starling on them making a decision on whether they were gonna trailer or numbered start a regional event in a timely manner so captains could adjust their travel plans at last minute. His opinion of the captains that make this possible was plainly obvious.

I didn't ask what you did for two particular kids. I asked what you did with your time to help improve the tournaments. There are tons of us that volunteer our time, money , boats, tackle, etc... to captain kids.

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: T Bird] #14369248 05/16/22 06:01 PM
N
N2Bass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
If the competitors follow directions there is no way they should be standing in a line while fish bake. While they are standing in line the fish should be in a livewell just like they are all day in a lake. The anglers and captains should be taking the proper precautions to keep the water temp low. The fish should be taken straight from the livewell to the aerated tanks at the weigh in. There will not be a line that keeps them from getting to the tanks. Look at the THSBA tournaments for the year and you will see that the number of dead fish are really low. A lot of the times the problems are a result of the anglers and captain not following directions.

Yeah, you aren't understanding.

324 boats. All get to weigh in site within about an hour of each other.

You can only bring in fish to weigh in line in a THSBA bag. There is only 25 THSBA bags in circulation. This is actually a good plan by THSBA to limit fish in bags in line.

The line was to actually get the bag! It literally took an hour. Which meant those fish sat in livewells in the hot sun for over an hour not counting any travel from the fishing location to the weigh in. Water temps were 80-84 degrees when we got off the lake.

If setting in livewells in that heat is ok...then why the 100 qt Yeti of dead fish half way through the tournament?

Last edited by N2Bass; 05/16/22 06:04 PM.
Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: Douglas J] #14369251 05/16/22 06:04 PM
K
Ken Starling Online Happy
TFF Team Angler
Online Happy
TFF Team Angler
K
Aw Doug you know we all love you.. I did apologize for the hater comment… come on.

I will state this again for everyone. The THSBA board members are all 100% volunteers. We do pay the tournament directors and our office lady. Beyond that we do not collect any monetary reimbursement from the association.

Growing pains, you would think it would be over with the growth. When we go into our summer meeting all we know is what the numbers were last season. We have no idea how many new schools are joining before the first event so all we can do at that point is try to adjust and over the years I feel like we have. When we hit 300 boats a few years back at Lewisville we were taking off by boat numbers and we immediately started trailering events the next event. Then come the following season we split that division. So it is very hard to determine what we are going to have once season starts. Believe it or not we still get 10-25 new schools ever year.

Do I get upset at times , yes and the simple answer is this. There are 3 of us still here that started the THSBA 10 years ago with a small group of kids and schools. For many years we did the tournaments ( me, Tim and Steve Holland) off a flat bed trailer and gave gift cards to everyone. Every expense was on us not the THSBA. So we have been doing this from the get go. My son graduated after the first season, Tim’s son graduated after the 2nd season and Steve has never had his own kids in the association he had started a HS and JR program at Kaufman and that’s how this all started. So I do take offense when people come on here and say we are getting rich, etc..etc.. I do get upset when people that do not know what all we talk about on a weekly basis come on and say we need to do this , we need to do that. Are we perfect. Nope and I apologize for that. We do care and we will try the best we can to make the changes needed to continue on.

This weekend alone we awarded over $60,000 in scholarships and prizes with this season being over $600,000

To see the smiles and high fives from parents and kids all weekend and seeing Seniors that have been with us for the past 4 years makes it all worth it.

I’m not the English major so forgive my grammar and punctuation..

That’s all I have to say. You all continue and carry on and have a great day.

Originally Posted by Douglas J
Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
That limits entries.

Limiting entries limit revenue.

Ain't happening.

Are you saying "ain't happening" because you think making money is the primary motivation with this organization? I don't think that's the case. I believe they have made their financials public and I think most of the people involved are volunteers.

If it's public, I can't find it. Send over if you have it please.

Besides the point really.

If the reason is "it's for the kids" to let 324 boats fish for a championship, then why bring all 324 back for day 2? Why not bring back half the field? Oh, it's so the kids can fish? Pretty sure those there could find a way for the kids to fish.

I assume w/ a tournament says "Presented by the City of Temple", that means there was some monitary value in it for THSBA to have it at Belton.

Again, hats off to anyone volunteering. I do the same. But if someone ain't making money off this deal, there is something wrong.

Just interest of scholarship money sitting in the bank alone has value.

Someone posted the 2017 or '18 financials on a thread. But I am sure someone somewhere is making a little money off the whole deal and that is okay. I am mad I did not think of it. I would guess the people who get paid get paid more than min wage but less than Elon Musk money. I get grilled anytime I have brought it up and referred to as a "hater".

Funny thing is there are more and more people who are involved or were involved that pop up that the system has issues. It's like 10 years old, the "growing pains" excuses should be in the past now. We all like things the same and we all mostly like to complain.

I am glad they had a successful event and hopefully the mortality is being embellished a slight bit.

Congrats to the winners and hopefully they did not use a ladder. laugh

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: N2Bass] #14369252 05/16/22 06:05 PM
K
TFF Team Angler
Online Happy
TFF Team Angler
K
All that money was given to the park sir.
Originally Posted by ETXfisher91
This may be a dumb question, but why don't fewer teams qualify for the state championship?

Everyone gets participate now a days!

And it's non profit! But just buy a $10 parking pass if you don't mind.

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: ricochetrabbit] #14369253 05/16/22 06:06 PM
K
TFF Team Angler
Online Happy
TFF Team Angler
K
They all start out that way… lol
Originally Posted by ricochetrabbit
Dang it T-Bird, wasn't this supposed be a fun guess the weight thread? roflmao

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: ETXfisher91] #14369258 05/16/22 06:12 PM
R
ricochetrabbit Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
This may be a dumb question, but why don't fewer teams qualify for the state championship?

I wish this was the case. Son's senior year. Championship on his home lake. He ending up missing one tournament because he was showing his pig in San Angelo and didn't get the points. Ah well, he at least ended up with a FFA scholarship.

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: Ken Starling] #14369259 05/16/22 06:13 PM
N
N2Bass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Originally Posted by Ken Starling
Aw Doug you know we all love you.. I did apologize for the hater comment… come on.

I will state this again for everyone. The THSBA board members are all 100% volunteers. We do pay the tournament directors and our office lady. Beyond that we do not collect any monetary reimbursement from the association.

Growing pains, you would think it would be over with the growth. When we go into our summer meeting all we know is what the numbers were last season. We have no idea how many new schools are joining before the first event so all we can do at that point is try to adjust and over the years I feel like we have. When we hit 300 boats a few years back at Lewisville we were taking off by boat numbers and we immediately started trailering events the next event. Then come the following season we split that division. So it is very hard to determine what we are going to have once season starts. Believe it or not we still get 10-25 new schools ever year.

Do I get upset at times , yes and the simple answer is this. There are 3 of us still here that started the THSBA 10 years ago with a small group of kids and schools. For many years we did the tournaments ( me, Tim and Steve Holland) off a flat bed trailer and gave gift cards to everyone. Every expense was on us not the THSBA. So we have been doing this from the get go. My son graduated after the first season, Tim’s son graduated after the 2nd season and Steve has never had his own kids in the association he had started a HS and JR program at Kaufman and that’s how this all started. So I do take offense when people come on here and say we are getting rich, etc..etc.. I do get upset when people that do not know what all we talk about on a weekly basis come on and say we need to do this , we need to do that. Are we perfect. Nope and I apologize for that. We do care and we will try the best we can to make the changes needed to continue on.

This weekend alone we awarded over $60,000 in scholarships and prizes with this season being over $600,000

To see the smiles and high fives from parents and kids all weekend and seeing Seniors that have been with us for the past 4 years makes it all worth it.

If safety and protecting the fisheries and their resources are held to a standard over everything, including participation, that's all anyone can expect.

It was seriously dangerous out there this weekend.

Something has to be done.

Good luck to THSBA.

That's all I have to say. Continue and carry on and have a great day as well!

Oh, and congrats to the winners again. Heck of a job.

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: Ken Starling] #14369262 05/16/22 06:16 PM
N
N2Bass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
All that money was given to the park sir.

And it's non profit! But just buy a $10 parking pass if you don't mind.

Awesome. Was hoping with their $10 charge they would have a nice little entrance for boaters/fisherman/constants so we didn't have to wait in the entrance line either.

Could have done the shore line park like you mentioned previous to the tournament...but we weren't taking part in that Normandy replay to weigh in site. That was deathly scary looking.

Last edited by N2Bass; 05/16/22 06:18 PM.
Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: T Bird] #14369266 05/16/22 06:17 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
I fully expect to see some of the bigger trails to start "high school divisions" in Texas.

There is a market to make some money.

#MFGA
Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: Douglas J] #14369269 05/16/22 06:19 PM
N
N2Bass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Originally Posted by Douglas J
I fully expect to see some of the bigger trails to start "high school divisions" in Texas.

There is a market to make some money.

Just follow the select baseball model.

Millionaires to be had soon. I agree.

Parents will spend thousands for a Facebook brag.

Our poor fish are doomed.

Last edited by N2Bass; 05/16/22 06:20 PM.
Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: N2Bass] #14369270 05/16/22 06:19 PM
R
RKT Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
R

You can only bring in fish to weigh in line in a THSBA bag. There is only 25 THSBA bags in circulation. This is actually a good plan by THSBA to limit fish in bags in line.

The line was to actually get the bag! It literally took an hour. Which meant those fish sat in livewells in the hot sun for over an hour not counting any travel from the fishing location to the weigh in. Water temps were 80-84 degrees when we got off the lake.

If setting in livewells in that heat is ok...then why the 100 qt Yeti of dead fish half way through the tournament?

You didn't understand my point. I fully understand the weigh in system. The captains and anglers need to learn more about how to manage the livewell. Maybe sending out "LIvewell Management" video's on the social media pages would help with that. There are ways to keep the livewells cool during that extra hour to hour and a half. If the water is cooled with ice blocks, treatment is used, and they place life jackets over the livewells while waiting in line the death rate of the fish should not increase any. Of course, we all know at any tournament some fish will die. I am also sure THSBA will be doing what it can in the future to help shorten the wait for the bags. It is a growing organization that will have hiccups and will learn from them. When you are only talking about less than 10 lbs of fish in each livewell the extra time should not cause more dead fish if livewells are treated properly.

Last edited by RKT; 05/16/22 06:21 PM.
Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: RKT] #14369272 05/16/22 06:22 PM
N
N2Bass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Originally Posted by RKT

You understand my point. I fully understand the weigh in system. The captains and anglers need to learn more about how to manage the livewell. Maybe sending out "LIvewell Management" video's on the social media pages would help with that. There are ways to keep the livewells cool during that extra hour to hour and a half. If the water is cooled with ice blocks, treatment is used, and they place life jackets over the livewells while waiting in line the death rate of the fish should not increase any. Of course, we all know at any tournament some fish will die. I am also sure THSBA will be doing what it can in the future to help shorten the wait for the bags. It is a growing organization that will have hiccups and will learn from them. When you are only talking about less than 10 lbs of fish in each livewell the extra time should not cause more dead fish if livewells are treated properly.

This tournament had a much bigger mortality rate than the rest. I'd bet my parking pass on it.

Pretty simple why.

We've never waited almost an hour for a weigh in bag. Not even close.

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: Ken Starling] #14369274 05/16/22 06:24 PM
U
UTDmiller Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U

[quote=Douglas J][quote=N2Bass][quote=J.P. Greeson][quote=N2Bass]That limits entries.

Can you Share more recent financials then? The tax return shared a week or two ago showed board members being paid Edit: 2017 , and 33% of entry money being held over in cash at the end of the year. Of course, with only 1 year to look at that isnt enough to make a decision one way or the other.

Last edited by UTDmiller; 05/16/22 06:25 PM.

John Miller
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide