texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,008
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,320
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,323
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,878
Posts13,954,690
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: pil,b] #14369121 05/16/22 03:58 PM
K
Ken Starling Online Happy
TFF Team Angler
Online Happy
TFF Team Angler
K
We have 9 divisions. Just FYI. Top 50 % go to regionals and then top 40% of them go to State. We did discuss this last year and based on the numbers from 2020 and 2021 (which is all we can go by) it would not have been this big. As mentioned we have talked all year and when we meet next month it will be the top subject.

In the meantime, congratulations to all and if you don’t decide to come back and fish with us I wish you all well on your future endeavors.

Originally Posted by pil,b
They need 5-6 divisons then whittle it down to to 5 teams per divison.They need this or TPWD needs to do it, for safety sake.

Last edited by Ken Starling; 05/16/22 04:09 PM.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: pil,b] #14369132 05/16/22 04:14 PM
N
N2Bass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Originally Posted by pil,b
They need 5-6 divisons then whittle it down to to 5 teams per divison.They need this or TPWD needs to do it, for safety sake.

That limits entries.

Limiting entries limit revenue.

Ain't happening.

Last edited by N2Bass; 05/16/22 04:17 PM.
Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: N2Bass] #14369170 05/16/22 04:56 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Online Content
the janitor
Online Content
the janitor
J
Originally Posted by N2Bass
That limits entries.

Ain't happening.

Are you saying "ain't happening" because you think making money is the primary motivation with this organization? I don't think that's the case. I believe they have made their financials public and I think most of the people involved are volunteers.

The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

[Linked Image]
Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: N2Bass] #14369173 05/16/22 04:59 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower
I've fished BASS opens, BFL, Toyota's and everything in between. I've never been involved in a tournament where pressure was as big of a factor as this one. 325 boats on a lake down to a little over 11.000 acres. I counted over 50 boats from where we started on Saturday morning. To everyone's credit, I never saw any tempers flare. Thankfully everyone seemed to understand it was just a situation you had to make the best of. Kudos to all the captains and anglers that we encountered for being courteous and respectful. I was proud of my guys for grinding out a limit both days. It was a grind. Congrats to the winners. Hopefully THSBA learned some lessons this year on the size of their Regional and State Tournaments. Growing is a good thing, but it's time they make some changes to their end of season events. They are simply to large.

Oh, crowded doesn't even come close to explaining this situation. Never seen anything like it. Every boat captain I spoke w/ was just thankful they were alive.

Congrats to the Champions! Congrats to those who held the trophies after at least 2 long exhausting days on and off the water.

My guys did surprising well the first day (considering for what Belton offered) after a poor practice. They weighed in 10.19 lbs which would have put them in 20th place. But they had a dead fish penalty that kicked them back to 32nd. Still respectable w/ 324 boats. No surprise on the dead fish. They had a 100 qt Yeti stuffed full of them after we weighed in with still about half the field waiting. Boys waited in line for almost an hour, in the sun after being in the sun all day, for a weigh in bag. Before anyone asks, we did everything possible to help the fish and have a more than ample boat w/ systems to care for the fish. But basically 2 hours in a hot box was just too much for 1 of ours.

After that experience, we swung big Sunday morning knowing making up 5 lbs would take a nearly miracle. At 11:30 am after throwing back their Belton bullets, they weighed their options of another beat down weigh-in and a chance at a gift card, or head home. They chose home, and I was as thrilled as if they would have won it. Quitting is never the answer, but as long as they were happy with it, I was too knowing the work they put in all year to get there and the day they had on Saturday.

It was an experience. I'll say that.

As sophomore's, my guys learned a lot and had some success. After a butt kicking as freshman, they worked hard and took 3rd in the AOY this year. Got a few top 10's and a respectable Regional finish.

Both of them have no interest in doing it again next year. They've chosen to take their chances on a different trail for now.

Thanks for the memories THSBA. It's been real. Will never undervalue the effort and hours you all put in. I sincerely appreciate that and have explained it to the kids over and over.

Hoping some changes will be done in efforts to keep events safe and protect our fisheries.

One of the last events I captained was on whitney several years ago, rather than have the tent near the ramp you had to drive around into the middle of the state park, there was a disaster of a line trying to get in there, after an hour I made the kids get out lug the weigh in bag across a field down a dirt road to the stage. I'm sure that every fish weighed in during that cf of a mess was a either dead or gonna be dead. It was the dumbest set up that I ever saw an a disgrace to the spirit of conservation. It was that tourny that I decided I was done past that year. It was a trailer event, if they would have put the tents near the ramp boats could have pulled in weighed and been gone. Instead they created one of the worst traffic jam of boats I have ever seen anywhere in addition to driving around the lake. It turned a five minute boat ride into an extra 2 hours on trailer, god knows how long in line. That organization seems oblivious to that kinda stuff. They either dont know or dont care if it still goes on. Then when anyone says something you get a bunch of butt hurt from the directors. That's a fact.

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: WAWI] #14369180 05/16/22 05:07 PM
N
N2Bass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Originally Posted by WAWI
Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower
I've fished BASS opens, BFL, Toyota's and everything in between. I've never been involved in a tournament where pressure was as big of a factor as this one. 325 boats on a lake down to a little over 11.000 acres. I counted over 50 boats from where we started on Saturday morning. To everyone's credit, I never saw any tempers flare. Thankfully everyone seemed to understand it was just a situation you had to make the best of. Kudos to all the captains and anglers that we encountered for being courteous and respectful. I was proud of my guys for grinding out a limit both days. It was a grind. Congrats to the winners. Hopefully THSBA learned some lessons this year on the size of their Regional and State Tournaments. Growing is a good thing, but it's time they make some changes to their end of season events. They are simply to large.

Oh, crowded doesn't even come close to explaining this situation. Never seen anything like it. Every boat captain I spoke w/ was just thankful they were alive.

Congrats to the Champions! Congrats to those who held the trophies after at least 2 long exhausting days on and off the water.

My guys did surprising well the first day (considering for what Belton offered) after a poor practice. They weighed in 10.19 lbs which would have put them in 20th place. But they had a dead fish penalty that kicked them back to 32nd. Still respectable w/ 324 boats. No surprise on the dead fish. They had a 100 qt Yeti stuffed full of them after we weighed in with still about half the field waiting. Boys waited in line for almost an hour, in the sun after being in the sun all day, for a weigh in bag. Before anyone asks, we did everything possible to help the fish and have a more than ample boat w/ systems to care for the fish. But basically 2 hours in a hot box was just too much for 1 of ours.

After that experience, we swung big Sunday morning knowing making up 5 lbs would take a nearly miracle. At 11:30 am after throwing back their Belton bullets, they weighed their options of another beat down weigh-in and a chance at a gift card, or head home. They chose home, and I was as thrilled as if they would have won it. Quitting is never the answer, but as long as they were happy with it, I was too knowing the work they put in all year to get there and the day they had on Saturday.

It was an experience. I'll say that.

As sophomore's, my guys learned a lot and had some success. After a butt kicking as freshman, they worked hard and took 3rd in the AOY this year. Got a few top 10's and a respectable Regional finish.

Both of them have no interest in doing it again next year. They've chosen to take their chances on a different trail for now.

Thanks for the memories THSBA. It's been real. Will never undervalue the effort and hours you all put in. I sincerely appreciate that and have explained it to the kids over and over.

Hoping some changes will be done in efforts to keep events safe and protect our fisheries.

One of the last events I captained was on whitney several years ago, rather than have the tent near the ramp you had to drive around into the middle of the state park, there was a disaster of a line trying to get in there, after an hour I made the kids get out lug the weigh in bag across a field down a dirt road to the stage. I'm sure that every fish weighed in during that cf of a mess was a either dead or gonna be dead. It was the dumbest set up that I ever saw an a disgrace to the spirit of conservation. It was that tourny that I decided I was done past that year. It was a trailer event, if they would have put the tents near the ramp boats could have pulled in weighed and been gone. Instead they created one of the worst traffic jam of boats I have ever seen anywhere in addition to driving around the lake. It turned a five minute boat ride into an extra 2 hours on trailer, god knows how long in line. That organization seems oblivious to that kinda stuff. They either dont know or dont care if it still goes on. Then when anyone says something you get a bunch of butt hurt from the directors. That's a fact.

They had 25 bags for weigh in. Kids have to use THSBA bags for weigh in. I understand the concept. Only 25 bags means only 25 kids standing in line w/ a black bag full of fish. Instead of a 324 with their own bags.

But something has to be done. Imagine a kid grinding all day in the heat, catching their last fish w/ 10 minutes left. Getting everything packed and ready quickly, caring for their fish like it's their baby, then waiting in line for almost an hour to get a bag, walking to get fish, only to see one wobbling on its side. Then get to weigh in and it ain't good. It sucks. Part of it I guess. But standing in the heat for almost an hour while those fish baked makes it worse. Was proud of them they decided not to do that the next day knowing they weren't in the running to win.

Last edited by N2Bass; 05/16/22 05:18 PM.
Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14369187 05/16/22 05:14 PM
N
N2Bass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
That limits entries.

Ain't happening.

Are you saying "ain't happening" because you think making money is the primary motivation with this organization? I don't think that's the case. I believe they have made their financials public and I think most of the people involved are volunteers.

If it's public, I can't find it. Send over if you have it please.

Besides the point really.

If the reason is "it's for the kids" to let 324 boats fish for a championship, then why bring all 324 back for day 2? Why not bring back half the field? Oh, it's so the kids can fish? Pretty sure those there could find a way for the kids to fish.

I assume w/ a tournament says "Presented by the City of Temple", that means there was some monitary value in it for THSBA to have it at Belton.

Again, hats off to anyone volunteering. I do the same. But if someone ain't making money off this deal, there is something wrong.

Just interest of scholarship money sitting in the bank alone has value.

Last edited by N2Bass; 05/16/22 05:15 PM.
Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: WAWI] #14369192 05/16/22 05:18 PM
R
RKT Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Wawi - So after you saw how it was ran and decided you had better ideas, how much of your time did you decide to volunteer for the kids to make it better for them?

Last edited by RKT; 05/16/22 05:20 PM.
Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: N2Bass] #14369199 05/16/22 05:27 PM
K
Ken Starling Online Happy
TFF Team Angler
Online Happy
TFF Team Angler
K
We wish you well. Thanks for fishing these last 2 years and good luck to the kid’s.
Originally Posted by RKT
So after you saw how it was ran and decided you had better ideas, how much of your time did you decide to volunteer for the kids to make it better for them?

I've been spending a whole lot of hours working on something better for next year.

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: RKT] #14369201 05/16/22 05:28 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by RKT
So after you saw how it was ran and decided you had better ideas, how much of your time did you decide to volunteer for the kids to make it better for them?

I volunteered to drive kids that weren't mine all over the state, to fish outa my boat, my time, my gas, for no compensation or reimbursement, practice, hotels etc., for 3 years. I did this while missing my own kids baseball, football etc. So you can stick that up your rear. I did more than my fair share and the cherry on top was when I had question for Ken Starling on them making a decision on whether they were gonna trailer or numbered start a regional event in a timely manner so captains could adjust their travel plans at last minute. His opinion of the captains that make this possible was plainly obvious.

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: N2Bass] #14369203 05/16/22 05:29 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
That limits entries.

Ain't happening.

If it's public, I can't find it. Send over if you have it please.

Besides the point really.

If the reason is "it's for the kids" to let 324 boats fish for a championship, then why bring all 324 back for day 2? Why not bring back half the field? Oh, it's so the kids can fish? Pretty sure those there could find a way for the kids to fish.

I assume w/ a tournament says "Presented by the City of Temple", that means there was some monitary value in it for THSBA to have it at Belton.

Again, hats off to anyone volunteering. I do the same. But if someone ain't making money off this deal, there is something wrong.

Just interest of scholarship money sitting in the bank alone has value.

Someone posted the 2017 or '18 financials on a thread. But I am sure someone somewhere is making a little money off the whole deal and that is okay. I am mad I did not think of it. I would guess the people who get paid get paid more than min wage but less than Elon Musk money. I get grilled anytime I have brought it up and referred to as a "hater".

Funny thing is there are more and more people who are involved or were involved that pop up that the system has issues. It's like 10 years old, the "growing pains" excuses should be in the past now. We all like things the same and we all mostly like to complain.

I am glad they had a successful event and hopefully the mortality is being embellished a slight bit.

Congrats to the winners and hopefully they did not use a ladder. laugh

#MFGA
Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: N2Bass] #14369204 05/16/22 05:30 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by RKT

I've been spending a whole lot of hours working on something better for next year.

Curious as to what your planning with your kids since your out on THSBA?
I'm not leaving THSBA but always interested in options. (We did FLW and BASS and that certainly was not a viable option for us)

Last edited by Txduckhunter; 05/16/22 05:30 PM.
Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: Ken Starling] #14369206 05/16/22 05:33 PM
N
N2Bass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Originally Posted by Ken Starling
We wish you well. Thanks for fishing these last 2 years and good luck to the kid’s.
Originally Posted by RKT

Thanks Ken. After I saw that the original question was directed towards Wawi, I deleted my response to the specific question as it didn't pertain to me specifically.

But again, thank you. Thank you and THSBA for all the long days, weeks, months, and years. Your time was certainly not lacking. We thank you for that.

Last edited by N2Bass; 05/16/22 05:36 PM.
Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: Txduckhunter] #14369212 05/16/22 05:35 PM
N
N2Bass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Originally Posted by Txduckhunter
Originally Posted by RKT

Curious as to what your planning with your kids since your out on THSBA?
I'm not leaving THSBA but always interested in options. (We did FLW and BASS and that certainly was not a viable option for us)

Youth Bass Club.

Small membership. 5 annual tournaments and a championship. Simple like a working mans tournament, with just a bit more planning.

Keep it simple.

And the best part...no more wristband pick up! smile

Last edited by N2Bass; 05/16/22 05:38 PM.
Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14369227 05/16/22 05:47 PM
E
ETXfisher91 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
This may be a dumb question, but why don't fewer teams qualify for the state championship?

Everyone gets participate now a days!

Re: Texas H.S. State Championship [Re: ETXfisher91] #14369230 05/16/22 05:49 PM
N
N2Bass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Originally Posted by ETXfisher91
This may be a dumb question, but why don't fewer teams qualify for the state championship?

Everyone gets participate now a days!

And it's non profit! But just buy a $10 parking pass if you don't mind.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide