Forums59
Topics1,037,859
Posts13,935,709
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: 6 million ShareLunker fingerlings to be stocked in Texas lakes [Re: Txduckhunter] #14366623 05/13/22 08:22 AM
RedRanger Online Content
burro desagradable
Online Content
burro desagradable
Originally Posted by Txduckhunter
Originally Posted by killabooner
I guess if they stock some in Squaw Creek, they will be very likely to live to maturity before being caught.

Not a fan of ANYTHING going to a "private" lake.

Why in the world does one have to have a Texas Fishing license to fish in Squaw Creek? I have never understood that one

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: 6 million ShareLunker fingerlings to be stocked in Texas lakes [Re: Top Waters] #14366678 05/13/22 12:26 PM
J
J.H.S. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by Top Waters
Originally Posted by J.H.S.
Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
Glad all of Ivie's spawn could benefit everyone else instead of the fish being released back into the lake to spawn right after she was caught.

You're right cause no other females spawned this year on Ivie. There was only a 10lber every 10 yards on the bank at times....

Your comment is ignorant. It isn't about what did spawn, it is about the amount of spawn we lost that went to other lakes. We already don't get [censored] for stocking out here as it is, now a good portion of our spawn that SHOULD have stayed in the lake went to other places, my guess being fork, rayburn, and toledo bend.

I could be wrong, but didn't they stop taking Ivie fish after a few and release them back into the lake because they didn't need any more "Ivie" genetics in Athens? I know there were quite a few that made it to Athens, but not all of them. I am pretty sure that for years when Fork had a ton of SAL caught many those fingerlings went to other lakes other than Fork. You're welcome.

Fork has averaged over half a million fingerling every year since 1995. I think YOU'RE welcome. So glad my tax dollars can pay for yall to get special treatment every year.

Live Daringly, Boldy, and Fearlessly....Embrace the Challenge So That You May Feel the Exhiliration of Victory.

Re: 6 million ShareLunker fingerlings to be stocked in Texas lakes [Re: J.H.S.] #14366774 05/13/22 02:08 PM
B
bockscar Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B

Fork has averaged over half a million fingerling every year since 1995. I think YOU'RE welcome. So glad my tax dollars can pay for yall to get special treatment every year.

So what is your solution? Seeing as Texas is hands down THE BEST largemouth bass fishery in the US, its clear some action is needed and mother nature needs help to keep the fishing good.

What could the TPW do to make you satisfied with what they are doing? Its already been shown some of the Ivie fish were if not SL, at a minimum stocked bass. Its mind blowing to me that you all are just continually complaining about TPW, SAL......when its clear that TPW has done something right to make Ivie what its been the last 2+ years. Were those largemouth bass native to OH Ivie? Or how did Ivie become what it is today.....THE destination lake for bass fishing in the whole USA.

Its just mind blowing how much you can complain....and live within a quick drive to a lake thats clearly benefitted from TPW lake management.

Re: 6 million ShareLunker fingerlings to be stocked in Texas lakes [Re: J.H.S.] #14366781 05/13/22 02:25 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Glad all of Ivie's spawn could benefit everyone else instead of the fish being released back into the lake to spawn right after she was caught.

I've posted the math on here before. The mortality rate on natural nests is so high that you actually end up with something like 20 times as many fish that make it to adulthood when they are raised to fingerlings in hatcheries and then released. As you know all ShareLunkers are released back in their home lake and the home lake gets a large percentage of the fingerlings. It's also worth pointing out that what we are seeing right now on Ivie is very likely the result of previous stocking efforts by TPWD. 2cents

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: 6 million ShareLunker fingerlings to be stocked in Texas lakes [Re: J.H.S.] #14366793 05/13/22 02:34 PM
L
LeonSulak Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
Your comment is ignorant. It isn't about what did spawn, it is about the amount of spawn we lost that went to other lakes. We already don't get [censored] for stocking out here as it is, now a good portion of our spawn that SHOULD have stayed in the lake went to other places, my guess being fork, rayburn, and toledo bend. [/quote]

I could be wrong, but didn't they stop taking Ivie fish after a few and release them back into the lake because they didn't need any more "Ivie" genetics in Athens? I know there were quite a few that made it to Athens, but not all of them. I am pretty sure that for years when Fork had a ton of SAL caught many those fingerlings went to other lakes other than Fork. You're welcome.
[/quote]

Fork has averaged over half a million fingerling every year since 1995. I think YOU'RE welcome. So glad my tax dollars can pay for yall to get special treatment every year. [/quote]

Just an I wonder, but could an argument be made that Texas has gained more tax dollars in out of state license sales, trips just to fish fork, and all the economic boost associated with Fork due to the stocking? It is known as the Bass capital, has 100 guides, 100’s of hotel rooms, and countless boats/tournaments weekly.

I wonder if Ivie should thank Fork.

Last edited by LeonSulak; 05/13/22 02:37 PM.

Re: 6 million ShareLunker fingerlings to be stocked in Texas lakes [Re: LeonSulak] #14366960 05/13/22 05:17 PM
B
bockscar Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by LeonSulak

I wonder if Ivie should thank Fork.

Im sure Ill get called a fanboy for saying this since anything I support is being a fanboy according to some.....

I think we should all thank TPW and more specifically the sharelunker program for all the largemouth bass specific research they do. There is literally no other entity studying and trying to figure out the puzzle known as mother nature/the largemouth bass. these guys are basically pioneers venturing out in the wild west....learning as they go. ALL of the Share lunker guys are smarter than like 95% of us in here, and when it comes to fishery biology about smarter than 99.9999% of us in here. With all due respect....fishing a lot and for many years doesnt even bring you in the ballpark of the knowledge they have of fisheries and fish. sure you may know little specifics youve picked up and learned based on your experience....but I can promise NONE of us on here (even someone like JPurdue who seems to be a studied individual who researches stuff versus just firing off anecdotal opinions) have the knowledge base of fish, fish biology, lake biology and lake management than even a Day 1 guy with the SAL program has.

Lets just thank God we live in the great state of Texas where the state is willing to support this wild [censored] program off the promise and hope of good results.....well it was promise and hope 10-20 years ago. im pretty sure the last 2 years more specifically in regards to big fish have proved those hopes out and made them realities. These guys are way smarter than any of us, and thank God Texas is Texas and floats the funds for them to do what they do.

So I guess if we are going to thank anyone....thank the great state we live in for letting the TPW/SAL people do their thing. The results are bearing themselves out yearly....monthly....weekly....and at certain times of the year DAILY! 🤷â€â™‚ï¸

Re: 6 million ShareLunker fingerlings to be stocked in Texas lakes [Re: Mark Perry] #14367002 05/13/22 06:03 PM
J
J.H.S. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I could care less about "growing a state record". I would just assume SAL goes away and reintroduce natives to the area. Let mother nature do her thing, she is smarter than any of us. Also, I am sorry, but I don't see how letting bass spawn in its natural environment is worse on a lake than raising fish to fingerling and then stocking them. I'd rather those 15 or so SAL's that got taken out spawn in the lake and let mother nature do her thing. This infatuation about trying to grow 15 pounders while subsequently making the fishing tougher by introducing Florida strains baffles me, but then again I am not really a look at me trophy hunter either. Also, wasn't Fork better in the old days? Seems to me you Fork guys would almost agree with me. You will never convince me that trying to modify mother nature is the best thing for our resources. This is more about money and less about the angler. Anybody with a little common sense can see that. If they cared about the angler and our fisheries they would quit killing all our vegetation and fish habitat in certain lakes.

Last edited by J.H.S.; 05/13/22 06:06 PM.

Live Daringly, Boldy, and Fearlessly....Embrace the Challenge So That You May Feel the Exhiliration of Victory.

Re: 6 million ShareLunker fingerlings to be stocked in Texas lakes [Re: J.H.S.] #14367008 05/13/22 06:07 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline
the janitor
the janitor
J
I could care less about "growing a state record". I would just assume SAL goes away and reintroduce natives to the area. Let mother nature do her thing, she is smarter than any of us. Also, I am sorry, but I don't see how letting bass spawn in its natural environment is worse on a lake than raising fish to fingerling and then stocking them. I'd rather those 15 or so SAL's that got taken out spawn in the lake and let mother nature do her thing. This infatuation about trying to grow 15 pounders while subsequently making the fishing tougher by introducing Florida strains baffles me, but then again I am not really a look at me trophy hunter either. Also, wasn't Fork better in the old days? Seems to me you Fork guys would almost agree with me. You will never convince me that trying to modify mother nature is the best thing for our resources. This is more about money and less about the angler. Anybody with a little common sense can see that.

Is it really mother nature when you are talking about managing a bunch of man-made reservoirs?

The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

[Linked Image]
Re: 6 million ShareLunker fingerlings to be stocked in Texas lakes [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14367033 05/13/22 06:34 PM
J
J.H.S. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
I could care less about "growing a state record". I would just assume SAL goes away and reintroduce natives to the area. Let mother nature do her thing, she is smarter than any of us. Also, I am sorry, but I don't see how letting bass spawn in its natural environment is worse on a lake than raising fish to fingerling and then stocking them. I'd rather those 15 or so SAL's that got taken out spawn in the lake and let mother nature do her thing. This infatuation about trying to grow 15 pounders while subsequently making the fishing tougher by introducing Florida strains baffles me, but then again I am not really a look at me trophy hunter either. Also, wasn't Fork better in the old days? Seems to me you Fork guys would almost agree with me. You will never convince me that trying to modify mother nature is the best thing for our resources. This is more about money and less about the angler. Anybody with a little common sense can see that.

Is it really mother nature when you are talking about managing a bunch of man-made reservoirs?

Sure it is. Dams were built on rivers that were created by mother nature with life that was already in the lake. TPWD can supplement our lakes, but they have built an entire program around a "trophy" class fish that has altered the course of fishing. When the natives were prevalent, you could go out and catch a bunch of fish at any given time. Now with the introduction of the Florida strain, weather patterns and pressure tend to affect them much more. Humans have this complex where they think they can control every aspect of life. TPWD could better focus their time and efforts on maintaining our lakes such as facilities, habitat, and other things, instead of trying to grow this world-class bass. Most people who fish just want to go out and catch, they do not care about size. There has become this stigma on the sport that if you don't have a DD to your name, then you are a nobody, and that is inaccurate. SAL has become a money grab to entice anglers from all over the country to come to Texas "in hopes of catching the fish of a lifetime", instead of growing our depleting resource into a place where you may not go out and catch a 10, but maybe you 50-100 fish of various sizes. The amount of pressure on a very finite resource fishing for a species of fish as temperamental as the Texas weather is going to catch up with us at some point. Ivie is fishing well, not because of TPWD, but because of the "new lake syndrome," it experienced a few years back due to all the rain we received out here. These 14-16 pound fish would not have been stocked in the lake in the last 6 stockings dating back to 2010. They could be a product of the 2001 stocking. TPWD has nothing to do with Ivie from 2001 to 2010, while Fork was still getting their half a million fingerling a year.

Re: 6 million ShareLunker fingerlings to be stocked in Texas lakes [Re: J.H.S.] #14367037 05/13/22 06:41 PM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

Sure it is. Dams were built on rivers that were created by mother nature with life that was already in the lake. TPWD can supplement our lakes, but they have built an entire program around a "trophy" class fish that has altered the course of fishing. When the natives were prevalent, you could go out and catch a bunch of fish at any given time. Now with the introduction of the Florida strain, weather patterns and pressure tend to affect them much more. Humans have this complex where they think they can control every aspect of life. TPWD could better focus their time and efforts on maintaining our lakes such as facilities, habitat, and other things, instead of trying to grow this world-class bass. Most people who fish just want to go out and catch, they do not care about size. There has become this stigma on the sport that if you don't have a DD to your name, then you are a nobody, and that is inaccurate. SAL has become a money grab to entice anglers from all over the country to come to Texas "in hopes of catching the fish of a lifetime", instead of growing our depleting resource into a place where you may not go out and catch a 10, but maybe you 50-100 fish of various sizes. The amount of pressure on a very finite resource fishing for a species of fish as temperamental as the Texas weather is going to catch up with us at some point. Ivie is fishing well, not because of TPWD, but because of the "new lake syndrome," it experienced a few years back due to all the rain we received out here. These 14-16 pound fish would not have been stocked in the lake in the last 6 stockings dating back to 2010. They could be a product of the 2001 stocking. TPWD has nothing to do with Ivie from 2001 to 2010, while Fork was still getting their half a million fingerling a year.

Have a few DD's and I'm still a nobody. Just wish my wife had some.

Re: 6 million ShareLunker fingerlings to be stocked in Texas lakes [Re: Mark Perry] #14367128 05/13/22 08:28 PM
L
Lon Hagler Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
,,,and not one will make it up to Lake Meredith.

Re: 6 million ShareLunker fingerlings to be stocked in Texas lakes [Re: J.H.S.] #14367132 05/13/22 08:32 PM
9094 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I could care less about "growing a state record". I would just assume SAL goes away and reintroduce natives to the area. Let mother nature do her thing, she is smarter than any of us. Also, I am sorry, but I don't see how letting bass spawn in its natural environment is worse on a lake than raising fish to fingerling and then stocking them. I'd rather those 15 or so SAL's that got taken out spawn in the lake and let mother nature do her thing. This infatuation about trying to grow 15 pounders while subsequently making the fishing tougher by introducing Florida strains baffles me, but then again I am not really a look at me trophy hunter either. Also, wasn't Fork better in the old days? Seems to me you Fork guys would almost agree with me. You will never convince me that trying to modify mother nature is the best thing for our resources. This is more about money and less about the angler. Anybody with a little common sense can see that. If they cared about the angler and our fisheries they would quit killing all our vegetation and fish habitat in certain lakes.

You must not be old enough to remember when there wasn’t a Florida program and the lakes only had natives. Very little stockings, why would they the fish are natives.
Let me tell you, before the early 80s fishing sucked in most of the state. Bass clubs had 6 pound pots that would go a year or so before anyone caught a 6 pounder. An 8 pounder was major city newspaper worthy.
There were exceptions like Toledo Bend and Sam Rayburn but they were still mostly small fish then. 10 fish 20 lb stringers were unheard of.
So going back to native largemouth would suk if they got rid of the current programs. Fishing is 100x better now than it was back then.

Re: 6 million ShareLunker fingerlings to be stocked in Texas lakes [Re: J.H.S.] #14367238 05/13/22 10:32 PM
B
bockscar Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B

I could care less about growing a state record also....but ive said that before. Thats a red herring in this discussion. No ones talking about that right now.

I dont work for SAL...but im pretty sure their main goal isnt to grow a world record. I actually discussed that before, to which someone mentioned Operation World record and how it started before SAL and a world record was the original goal of the SAL program....and then someone corrected them on their timeline and the Operation World Record was a thing SAL did....and yea, thats probably more marketing than anything. Yea, im sure SAL is hoping for a world record and wouldnt mind it happening....but im pretty sure SAL is more like a specialized division within a group. That group is TPW....who I am of the opinion are in it to improve fisheries across the state as a whole versus growing a few stupid big fish.

Forget the DD's.....how many lakes can you go to in Texas and have a LEGIT, good shot at 8+? Id seriously say pretty much every single one that TPW has laid a finger on. What other state can you say that in? Hell....in some states an 8 pound fish is a lifetime PB.....and here in Texas an 8 pound is just kinda cool but would be cooler if it was a DD....because we are in texas. Any other state you lose your [censored] catching an 8+....i know I damn well did when I caught my PB.

IAlso, I am sorry, but I don't see how letting bass spawn in its natural environment is worse on a lake than raising fish to fingerling and then stocking them.

Thats the point JHS. You dont see it....but why should you be able to see it? What makes you a fish expert who understands all things fish related? NONE of us, myself include are fisheries biologist. And yea, Im sure you fish a ton. Have caught a ton of 5+ fish. Have learned tendencies of fish relative to external factors like weather, cover, etc.... Take pride in your fish catching ability and knowledge and all that......and theres nothing wrong with that. But honestly, can you not see how much hubris is involved when you make a statement like this, like you (or any other member of the fishing public, including myself) should know scientifically about fish growth? What research have you done aside from fishing that you feel you have the knowledge base to make determinations like taking Ivie fish for SAL sharing is bad for a fishery (or thats its bad for ivie more specifically)? Did you go to school to study this, do you conduct experiments....what is it you do aside from wet a line, that makes you feel you know more than people who not only are likely fisherman themselves, but who have also dedicated their time to learning about this largemouth bass?

Thats what I cant wrap my head around.

Re: 6 million ShareLunker fingerlings to be stocked in Texas lakes [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14367253 05/13/22 10:49 PM
B
bockscar Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B

Arbitrary lines in the sand borne out of convenience is something ive noticed. 2d, SI and DI are good. FFS not so much for example.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide