grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by Ken A.
Originally Posted by grout-scout

Those look pretty danged good. Did you change the snap on the bait on the right? Thats a Cross-Lock snap

No sir, that’s how it came from factory.

Strange... So one came with a regular cheap-O snap and the other came with the cross-loc?

The bait on the left is the Chinese cheap knock off, the one on the right is a jackhammer.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait [Re: grout-scout] #14362633 05/08/22 02:52 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy

Those look pretty danged good. Did you change the snap on the bait on the right? Thats a Cross-Lock snap

No sir, that’s how it came from factory.

Strange... So one came with a regular cheap-O snap and the other came with the cross-loc?

The bait on the left is the Chinese cheap knock off, the one on the right is a jackhammer.

I see. You must've changed the snap on the one on the right cuz that ain't stock.

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait [Re: Ken A.] #14362788 05/08/22 09:00 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G

I see. You must've changed the snap on the one on the right cuz that ain't stock.

Nope, it’s how mine are. They must have changed them from what you had, 2 are fairly new, the bottom one is 8 months old or so.

[Linked Image]

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait [Re: Cliff31] #14363254 05/09/22 01:45 PM
Diezel_Rocker Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
The biggest advantage to a Jackhammer is that it starts vibrating the second it hits the water. It also is much better at clearing grass and getting back into action. I also love the Elites. The Elite was my main before I started using Jackhammers. I will still throw the Elites and definitely don't feel I am at a disadvantage.

I don't necessarily think one is better than the other but I do think there are times when one will out fish the other dramatically. They sound slightly different and have a slightly different behavior in the water. It is more like a traditional rattletrap vs a one knocker.

All things being equal, if i show up at a new lake with no data I will probably throw a green pumpkin Jackhammer. If the water is really muddy I will go black/blue.

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait [Re: Cliff31] #14363283 05/09/22 02:16 PM
P
prosise Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
I don't know if it's just me, but I really put some time on the water the last two years and still haven't put a fish in the boat during the day with a chatterbait. I have done really well at night, and early sunrise with them using darker colors. I know it can be done, as my fishing buddy uses them and he catches fish (daytime). I use the old outdated bait called the spinnerbait an equal amount of time and catch fish. But I am a firm believer in "it's not the arrow, it's the indian..". I love a slow rolling spinnerbait, and love when the fish nearly jerk the rod out of your hands.

I have a couple jack hammer's, and they are in darker colors but haven't used them yet. Have a bunch of the Academy beand in the boat. Full moon summer fishing is right around the corner. I guess i need to watch some YouTube videos on how to work them. Im working it the same as I use a spinnerbait with an added occasionl pump action like a swimming jig. Might be all in my head, only time will tell. As for spinnerbaits I go big, or go home. Biggest willow you can find, and have favored the terminator brand since the 90's when I used to buy them at an old fishing tackle store that I think used to be on Lamar street. I used to buy Terry Oldham's jigs there, as well as the terminator spinnerbaits. Allot of fishing is confidence in the lure, and I think this helps in it's effectiveness.

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait [Re: Fishinfellow] #14364180 05/10/22 01:18 PM
HARD WORKN HAROLD Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Fishinfellow
Its better. I recently ordered some "Jacky Hamars" that look very similar for $4 a piece. We'll see how they do! lol

If the blade is not connected directly to the hook eye, save your money

DON'T LET THE CLOTHES FOOL YA
Life is too short to fish with a dead cricket!
PB: wife of 40 years
Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait [Re: Cliff31] #14364194 05/10/22 01:37 PM
HARD WORKN HAROLD Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Don't know this for an absolute 100% fact, but I'm pretty sure Z-Man has a lock on the design of attaching the blade to the hook eye. One of the bait shops around Lake Fork was selling some knock offs with this design and had to quit selling them.Strike King sells the Thunder Crickett I believe, and I heard they either paid up front, or pay as they go for this design.Like I say, this is educated speculation, since I dont know anybody from Z-Man to confirm

DON'T LET THE CLOTHES FOOL YA
Life is too short to fish with a dead cricket!
PB: wife of 40 years
Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait [Re: Cliff31] #14364201 05/10/22 01:44 PM
A
avid_basser Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
A
Z-Man had a design patent...had being the keyword or at least that's what I'm being told. Back in the day you would get a cease / desist letter if they felt you were in violation of patent infringement. Now that time has come and gone, so in theory you can use the hook / blade without it becoming a legal issue.

Foot note: You still need to change the overall design by over 10% or something like that.

Wish I were smart enough to know this. I'd be rich! AHAHHAHAHAH

PS: I have several of the first release Jack Hammers, the snaps appear to be more dull in finish and look like they're smaller and tighter in the fit / finish. The last few I had had a shiny more chrome looking snap that seemed to have more play in it.

Maybe they're running into supply issues like the rest of us and using what is available and it's not the same OG quality. I'll see if I can dig up an example...as I lost one the other day to tree-pounder.

Last edited by avid_basser; 05/10/22 01:49 PM.
Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait [Re: HARD WORKN HAROLD] #14364202 05/10/22 01:44 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted by HARD WORKN HAROLD
Don't know this for an absolute 100% fact, but I'm pretty sure Z-Man has a lock on the design of attaching the blade to the hook eye. One of the bait shops around Lake Fork was selling some knock offs with this design and had to quit selling them.Strike King sells the Thunder Crickett I believe, and I heard they either paid up front, or pay as they go for this design.Like I say, this is educated speculation, since I dont know anybody from Z-Man to confirm

That is correct. Phoenix was making a bladed jig that was a great lure. Zman forced them to cease production. Now they sell components.

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait [Re: HARD WORKN HAROLD] #14364384 05/10/22 05:23 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Its better. I recently ordered some "Jacky Hamars" that look very similar for $4 a piece. We'll see how they do! lol

The Chinese ones are exact copies, the ones I have atleast. $2.50 each.

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait [Re: Jarrett Latta] #14364709 05/11/22 01:42 AM
B
bockscar Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta

The Chinese ones are exact copies, the ones I have atleast. $2.50 each.

when you gonna share the plug? Tried to use your pic to see what to look for in the ones I bought. I got the ones grout got but from a different place. Very similar head, blade, [censored] snap though and sticky hook....but the hook is a bit longer than on my jackhammers. Wondering if I got the ones you got....cuz the pic you posted looked spot on as duplicates!

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait [Re: avid_basser] #14364872 05/11/22 12:22 PM
R
RKT Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted by avid_basser
Z-Man had a design patent...had being the keyword or at least that's what I'm being told. Back in the day you would get a cease / desist letter if they felt you were in violation of patent infringement. Now that time has come and gone, so in theory you can use the hook / blade without it becoming a legal issue.

Foot note: You still need to change the overall design by over 10% or something like that.

PS: I have several of the first release Jack Hammers, the snaps appear to be more dull in finish and look like they're smaller and tighter in the fit / finish. The last few I had had a shiny more chrome looking snap that seemed to have more play in it.

Maybe they're running into supply issues like the rest of us and using what is available and it's not the same OG quality. I'll see if I can dig up an example...as I lost one the other day to tree-pounder.

I think Z-man got their patent in June of 2010. If I am correct a design patent completed at that time is good for 14 years. If that is so the patent should still be good for two more years. Where did you see that the time has come and gone for the patent?

Last edited by RKT; 05/11/22 12:23 PM.
Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait [Re: RKT] #14364984 05/11/22 02:19 PM
A
avid_basser Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
A
Originally Posted by RKT

I think Z-man got their patent in June of 2010. If I am correct a design patent completed at that time is good for 14 years. If that is so the patent should still be good for two more years. Where did you see that the time has come and gone for the patent?

10 years is how long a patent holds, at least that's what it was for several of my Grandpa's patents. If it's 14 then there are bait makers that better remain hidden. roflmao

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait [Re: avid_basser] #14365224 05/11/22 06:50 PM
R
RKT Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted by RKT

10 years is how long a patent holds, at least that's what it was for several of my Grandpa's patents. If it's 14 then there are bait makers that better remain hidden. roflmao

So what then would be considered a 10% change on a chatterbait? Would a different hook and a different line tie be enough for 10%? Why have all the other companies not resumed making the baits they had to stop making because of the lawsuits?

After some research I see that the patent has an adjusted expiration date of 02/04/2026

Last edited by RKT; 05/11/22 07:41 PM.
Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait [Re: Cliff31] #14365364 05/11/22 09:55 PM
T
TOMCAT21 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Omnia has Jackhammers on sale right now for 25% off. That puts them at $11.99 each.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide