W
wh2004 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
W
Originally Posted by E8C-ENG
I won state tennis in ‘87. Singles

Hell yeah

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: wh2004] #14361428 05/06/22 01:47 PM
J
Jaredk Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted by wh2004

Hell yeah

Coach begged me to join the fishing team but I declined. As much as I love fishing, I knew high school fishing ruins the sport. I’m kind of a hero in a way…I’m so good, I would’ve ruined it extra hard

Last edited by E8C-ENG; 05/06/22 01:52 PM.
Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: Tiltman] #14361429 05/06/22 01:51 PM
Walls Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Tiltman
Originally Posted by Cass Caldwell

I was sitting on a rocky point during the first 2 hours of the tournament.(I was in a separate tournament) I was catching them on a sweet spot nearly every other cast with a crankbait. I see a boat coming down the bank flipping bushes. I'm thinking they'll going around me on the point and continue flipping bushes...nope, they come right up on me, pick up a crankbaits and cast to the exact same sweet spot where I'm catching the fish. Our crankbaits were literally landing in the same exact spot.

Any angler that thinks this is ok is not at all good for the sport.

I think we can all agree on that one. But you would have to also agree that this would be an exception and not the rule with "every" HS fishing team on the water. I know it's too late now, but I think it would've been a great idea for THSBA to reach out to Todd Castledine (or someone else of his experience or greater) and have them come and speak at the State Championship next week. Those captains/team sponsors could then be compelled to have a meeting at the beginning of the season next year and share the information with other captains and anglers (new teams/captains as well as returning teams that did not qualify). SETX could have the same kind of meeting at the first tournament of the year next year (it is usually the most attended). Just my 2cents

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: Jaredk] #14361447 05/06/22 02:12 PM
C
coachallentca Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C

I have a state ring but as as coach....

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14361451 05/06/22 02:15 PM
B
bockscar Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Get rid of all tournaments. Tournament fishing in general is corny and not the best for a fishery in my opinion. Funny that tournament fisherman here think younger tournament fisherman shouldnt have the same opportunities they do....just because of their age. Pretty hypocritical in my opinion

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: bockscar] #14361491 05/06/22 03:23 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline OP
the janitor
OP Offline
the janitor
J
Originally Posted by bockscar
Get rid of all tournaments. Tournament fishing in general is corny and not the best for a fishery in my opinion.

And you wonder why people complain about you being nothing but a troll.

The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

[Linked Image]
Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: bockscar] #14361516 05/06/22 03:55 PM
C
coachallentca Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Get rid of all tournaments. Tournament fishing in general is corny and not the best for a fishery in my opinion. Funny that tournament fisherman here think younger tournament fisherman shouldnt have the same opportunities they do....just because of their age. Pretty hypocritical in my opinion

We did not have the same opportunities these kids have now.. We did not have a bass team in highschool.. I was fishing from the bank until I was 20 years old and bought my first boat. Sold it because I could not afford the payments at the time.. Bought another boat when I was older and had kids. Now my oldest son loves to fish just wish my 8 year old would like it.

I played soccer in highschool.. in 1983 UIL made soccer crown a state champion. Until 1983 you won a city title and that was it so I think the kids have more opportunities that we did... I am not saying it is bad that they have more opportunities that we did but we have more that our parents did.. A part of life..

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: Walls] #14361550 05/06/22 04:23 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by WALLS

I was sitting on a rocky point during the first 2 hours of the tournament.(I was in a separate tournament) I was catching them on a sweet spot nearly every other cast with a crankbait. I see a boat coming down the bank flipping bushes. I'm thinking they'll going around me on the point and continue flipping bushes...nope, they come right up on me, pick up a crankbaits and cast to the exact same sweet spot where I'm catching the fish. Our crankbaits were literally landing in the same exact spot.

I think we can all agree on that one. But you would have to also agree that this would be an exception and not the rule with "every" HS fishing team on the water. I know it's too late now, but I think it would've been a great idea for THSBA to reach out to Todd Castledine (or someone else of his experience or greater) and have them come and speak at the State Championship next week. Those captains/team sponsors could then be compelled to have a meeting at the beginning of the season next year and share the information with other captains and anglers (new teams/captains as well as returning teams that did not qualify). SETX could have the same kind of meeting at the first tournament of the year next year (it is usually the most attended). Just my 2cents

I don;t know that it is too late... THSBA has had mandatory meetings for State and Regional events. They "discuss" things like this, as well as other topics, at these meetings. I've been to them and heard it quite clearly stated that a rule/ethics violation will lead to a DQ.
Problem is in documenting rule violators and reporting them. Some things happen quickly and some times it is hard to get numbers or know which team they are with and there are times that your just not going to chase someone down to get the info because you are doing your own thing.
Someone mentioned the idea of having ?marshals" on the water during events..... I think this is a solid idea but I don't see folks lining up to volunteer. Maybe if some guys took a day to volunteer, some of this would clean itself up?

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: Txduckhunter] #14361594 05/06/22 05:19 PM
T
Tx Tree Grower Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by Txduckhunter

I don;t know that it is too late... THSBA has had mandatory meetings for State and Regional events. They "discuss" things like this, as well as other topics, at these meetings. I've been to them and heard it quite clearly stated that a rule/ethics violation will lead to a DQ.
Problem is in documenting rule violators and reporting them. Some things happen quickly and some times it is hard to get numbers or know which team they are with and there are times that your just not going to chase someone down to get the info because you are doing your own thing.
Someone mentioned the idea of having ?marshals" on the water during events..... I think this is a solid idea but I don't see folks lining up to volunteer. Maybe if some guys took a day to volunteer, some of this would clean itself up?

The training needs to be done at the club level. Our team, for example, is already working with the 8th grade kids and captains that will start fishing next year. They will have the opportunity to fish with our better teams during the summer to get on the water training. All of the really successful teams go over the rules to the point that people get tired of hearing them. They also teach on the water etiquette. In order to facilitate training, THSBA needs to work with the team advisors in a more direct way. THSBA does lots of things well, but the communication with team advisors is limited to non existent. They have opted for a more direct line of communication to anglers and captains via their app and social media. That is not a bad thing but it doesn't meet all the needs in my opinion. Many teams really don't even have a functional advisor. It is my opinion that these teams are the ones that commit most of the rules violations. Helping all teams get an advisor that can facilitate training isn't that complicated. Just ask a few of the very successful advisors to help. They will do it in a heart beat. There are some really good ones to.

Last edited by Tx Tree Grower; 05/06/22 05:20 PM.
Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14361873 05/07/22 01:25 AM
B
bockscar Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
Get rid of all tournaments. Tournament fishing in general is corny and not the best for a fishery in my opinion.

Oh i fully understand. Because I hold strongly to my opinions and some of my opinions are about the polar opposite of what youd expect general demographics and sentiment on a Bass fishing forum to be. One thing i dont do is talk out of both sides out of my mouth and hold double standards based on what conveniences me. I also try to reason out my opinions....to try and show that im not just trolling. Its just my opinion, same as yours is yours.

OK..."Corny" mightve been the wrong word, and I may have been out of line but couldnt think of a better word...I guess what I meant is overly nostalgic. I really dont think Bass Tournament fishing today is what it was in the years past. I just feel that ships sailed and basically the only people that really care about bass fishing tournaments is....bass fishing tournament anglers. Just like people like to claim (or at least like was done in the closed down thread) that HS tourney fishing is a money grab...thats basically what bass fishing tournaments seem like today from my outsiders perspective, my outsider who once considered trying to tournament fish perspective....until I looked into what bass fishing is all about. People like smallmouth crush, and castledine (i think) have made videos on the grind, and thats really what im talking about. Nowadays it seems like a lot more squeeze thats not worth the juice. Compare bass tournament fees and payouts (in general, please dont give me an example or two of higher payout %s) to poker tournaments....seems like theres a lot more of a rake in bass fishing. No way it should be like that...especially when you consider all the costs to tournament bass fish.

So yea, I really dont think tourney fishing is all its cracked up to be. I think the MLF/BASS split exemplifies this, and the waffling of people like Christie, GMan and Ike kinda backs that up more...especially Ike's 1 year "retirement." The fact that the dude who basically walks on water in terms of sponsor dollars and making money decided to walk for a year should really say something. Im sure Ike was going through stuff....but fishing is still a release, and he walked on tourney fishing that year.

Am I wrong about it being bad for a fishery? Had plenty of folks upset at miliken and JJ for livewelling big fish. Hell Id rather have Miliken/JJ livewell a fish in the middle of winter in their fancy boats and drive it to Athens....than I would a bed fish getting taken off its bed for hours. Yea, I do believe a bed fish will return to their bed....if immediately released, so im not "anti bedfishing" at all. When they sit in a livewell all day, get weighed in...and then released somewhere thats very likely not the EXACT spot they were caught on their bed....hell that might be a lost spawn year, or an effected spawn for that fish.

I have my opinions....and they are likely polar opposite to some/most peoples opinions on here...but I promise im not trolling, and Im also not alone in my opinions. So maybe "corny" was a bad word choice....but thats my opinion. Tourney fishing is cool as much as im talking against it, and I may watch it if its on TV....but its not what I thought it was when I first got heavy into bass fishing 10ish years ago....and I actually think its gotten worse.

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: bockscar] #14361901 05/07/22 02:03 AM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson

Oh i fully understand. Because I hold strongly to my opinions and some of my opinions are about the polar opposite of what youd expect general demographics and sentiment on a Bass fishing forum to be. One thing i dont do is talk out of both sides out of my mouth and hold double standards based on what conveniences me. I also try to reason out my opinions....to try and show that im not just trolling. Its just my opinion, same as yours is yours.

OK..."Corny" mightve been the wrong word, and I may have been out of line but couldnt think of a better word...I guess what I meant is overly nostalgic. I really dont think Bass Tournament fishing today is what it was in the years past. I just feel that ships sailed and basically the only people that really care about bass fishing tournaments is....bass fishing tournament anglers. Just like people like to claim (or at least like was done in the closed down thread) that HS tourney fishing is a money grab...thats basically what bass fishing tournaments seem like today from my outsiders perspective, my outsider who once considered trying to tournament fish perspective....until I looked into what bass fishing is all about. People like smallmouth crush, and castledine (i think) have made videos on the grind, and thats really what im talking about. Nowadays it seems like a lot more squeeze thats not worth the juice. Compare bass tournament fees and payouts (in general, please dont give me an example or two of higher payout %s) to poker tournaments....seems like theres a lot more of a rake in bass fishing. No way it should be like that...especially when you consider all the costs to tournament bass fish.

So yea, I really dont think tourney fishing is all its cracked up to be. I think the MLF/BASS split exemplifies this, and the waffling of people like Christie, GMan and Ike kinda backs that up more...especially Ike's 1 year "retirement." The fact that the dude who basically walks on water in terms of sponsor dollars and making money decided to walk for a year should really say something. Im sure Ike was going through stuff....but fishing is still a release, and he walked on tourney fishing that year.

Am I wrong about it being bad for a fishery? Had plenty of folks upset at miliken and JJ for livewelling big fish. Hell Id rather have Miliken/JJ livewell a fish in the middle of winter in their fancy boats and drive it to Athens....than I would a bed fish getting taken off its bed for hours. Yea, I do believe a bed fish will return to their bed....if immediately released, so im not "anti bedfishing" at all. When they sit in a livewell all day, get weighed in...and then released somewhere thats very likely not the EXACT spot they were caught on their bed....hell that might be a lost spawn year, or an effected spawn for that fish.

I have my opinions....and they are likely polar opposite to some/most peoples opinions on here...but I promise im not trolling, and Im also not alone in my opinions. So maybe "corny" was a bad word choice....but thats my opinion. Tourney fishing is cool as much as im talking against it, and I may watch it if its on TV....but its not what I thought it was when I first got heavy into bass fishing 10ish years ago....and I actually think its gotten worse.

TLDR

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: Walls] #14361908 05/07/22 02:22 AM
N
N2Bass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N

I've had more experienced (at least that was my perception) boaters break rules and ethics than unexperienced in THSBA tournaments.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide