Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: Javelin] #14360885 05/05/22 06:13 PM
K
KYBluefan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
Originally Posted by Javelin
The worse thing for fishing is pressure! Go to an unpressured stock tank that has a population of Bass and throw anything you want and you will be successful. Fish that same tank every day with the same bait and you will see your catch rate go down after just a day or two. If you release them all did the fish go anywhere or population decline? No they just got educated and pressured. Go to a very pressured public lake that you are very familiar with after close to 30 years of fishing it and you will fight for 5 or 6 good bites in a full day because of pressure.

I am in favor of "X" number of tournament permits issued per lake per year based on a yearly study by a biologist. Yep this would be govt. and I can't stand govt. involvement in things. When people can't police themselves, it becomes necessary to make stupid rules! I am also in favor of limiting the size of a tournament field to "X" number of boats per water body acre first come first served.

Why put limits on tournaments but not any other fishing. If the tournaments were limited, people are still going to fish. Again, fishing pressure is just something that we have to deal with and do our best to learn to become better anglers. I know I sure would hate that on my only day off to fish in a month that I could not go to my home lake because oh they only allow so many people to fish per day. Again studies show tournaments how no negative effect on bass populations, so why pick those to limit. [/quote]

With my luck every day I was allowed to fish the wind would be 30mph sustained or it would be storming.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: TexY3TI] #14360900 05/05/22 06:33 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by TexY3TI
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Why do high school tournaments have entry fees? I/we didn’t have to ante up before a football game or a baseball game. We didn’t win cash after the dust settled.

The inclusion of money makes this NOT a “high school sport”. Inclusion of money will always bring out the worst in some people.

Tell me you don’t know anything about high school sports…without telling me you don’t know anything about high school sports.

Multiple sports pay entry fees…track, basketball, swim, soccer….and if you think schools don’t pay money for football and baseball to compete, your delusion is deep. The “inclusion” of money is not the defining factor of sport vs non-sport. And literally every sport has monetary gains for students to participate…they’re called scholarships.

I’m not delusional. I played starting center for Lewisville for 4 years in a row. We went state and won. I never paid a dime out of my pocket. I never earned a dime from it either. I did accept a full four year scholarship to Baylor for music. Which, other than buying personal instruments to use, I never paid a dime for entry fees there either.

Who is paying all these entry fees for high school activities? Besides the fishing [censored], that’s on the kids.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14360905 05/05/22 06:38 PM
BMCD Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
To me the issue is the size of some of these. Heck I can't stand the big bass tournaments either, cuz of the size. Any complaints about getting cut off and other things like that, well guess what, it happens every weekend no matter who is fishing.

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: wh2004] #14360957 05/05/22 07:40 PM
N
N2Bass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Originally Posted by wh2004
A yearly study by a biologist to come up with an arbitrary number to limit tournament boats so the fish are less pressured? That makes zero sense. Should they also limit recreational bass fishermen who catch and release or just tournament fisherman who catch and release? Do the fish know which is which? Lol

Why do you think they regulate commercial fishing on public waters?

The difference between recreational and tournament fishing is one comes for leisure and the other creates a large revenue source.

Anytime there is money to made, things change.

Follow the money.

Tournament sanctions are in place to create revenue primarily.

Or don't.

If nothing is done and things stay the same...just pull this thread up in 10 years and see how ideas are perceived then.

Last edited by N2Bass; 05/05/22 07:43 PM.
Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: SteezMacQueen] #14360961 05/05/22 07:45 PM
T
TexY3TI Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Why do high school tournaments have entry fees? I/we didn’t have to ante up before a football game or a baseball game. We didn’t win cash after the dust settled.

The inclusion of money makes this NOT a “high school sport”. Inclusion of money will always bring out the worst in some people.

Tell me you don’t know anything about high school sports…without telling me you don’t know anything about high school sports.

Multiple sports pay entry fees…track, basketball, swim, soccer….and if you think schools don’t pay money for football and baseball to compete, your delusion is deep. The “inclusion” of money is not the defining factor of sport vs non-sport. And literally every sport has monetary gains for students to participate…they’re called scholarships.

I’m not delusional. I played starting center for Lewisville for 4 years in a row. We went state and won. I never paid a dime out of my pocket. I never earned a dime from it either. I did accept a full four year scholarship to Baylor for music. Which, other than buying personal instruments to use, I never paid a dime for entry fees there either.

Who is paying all these entry fees for high school activities? Besides the fishing [censored], that’s on the kids.

I appreciate the resume…as a 4 year starter, who received a college scholarship for football, coached High School ball and I’m currently in administration for athletics, I’m telling you, your incorrect. I approve the checks for all the sports we pay entry fees into as a district. I already said not all districts operate their bass teams as we do….we operate it and it’s classified through the district as a sport. We pay LOTS of money as a district for our students to compete in every sport, and our anglers are no different. We don’t charge them to compete any different than we do football or tennis players. But don’t kid yourself, there’s way more money than you could imagine that we invest to operate all sports and provide our students an opportunity to have their school paid for in college.

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: N2Bass] #14360973 05/05/22 08:03 PM
W
wh2004 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
W
Originally Posted by N2Bass
A yearly study by a biologist to come up with an arbitrary number to limit tournament boats so the fish are less pressured? That makes zero sense. Should they also limit recreational bass fishermen who catch and release or just tournament fisherman who catch and release? Do the fish know which is which? Lol

The difference between recreational and tournament fishing is one comes for leisure and the other creates a large revenue source.

Follow the money.

Or don't.

If nothing is done and things stay the same...just pull this thread up in 10 years and see how ideas are perceived then.

Because commercial fishing actually does deplete resources. No one gives a s if it’s hard for someone catch a bass because the fish are educated.

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: wh2004] #14360985 05/05/22 08:24 PM
N
N2Bass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Originally Posted by N2Bass

Follow the money.

Or don't.

Because commercial fishing actually does deplete resources. No one gives a s if it’s hard for someone catch a bass because the fish are educated.

Really?

Like one looks up at a buzz bait and “says I bit on that thing 2 years ago and next thing I knew a man was jerking my lip. Ain’t doing that again!”

Or like they have degrees in soft plastics, hard baits, etc?

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14360991 05/05/22 08:35 PM
W
wh2004 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
W
Sorry, I thought I was still talking to bass buster who was talking about pressured fish.

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: TexY3TI] #14361015 05/05/22 09:07 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T

I appreciate the resume…as a 4 year starter, who received a college scholarship for football, coached High School ball and I’m currently in administration for athletics, I’m telling you, your incorrect. I approve the checks for all the sports we pay entry fees into as a district. I already said not all districts operate their bass teams as we do….we operate it and it’s classified through the district as a sport. We pay LOTS of money as a district for our students to compete in every sport, and our anglers are no different. We don’t charge them to compete any different than we do football or tennis players. But don’t kid yourself, there’s way more money than you could imagine that we invest to operate all sports and provide our students an opportunity to have their school paid for in college.

I think one of the differences between HS fishing and other HS sports is that football, baseball, track, etc all have some sort of revenue earning potential for the school. So it is actually a bit more of an "investment" than an "expense".

And good for you (as a school) for helping and recognizing the HS fishing program, I know that most schools, at best, consider them nothing more than an outside program like the chess club. The school I currently captain for has made a point to include the anglers in the spring athletic banquet and recognize the accomplishments they have achieved for the year.

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14361048 05/05/22 10:11 PM
B
Bass Buster1 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
B
Everyone should read the two books JPerdue which frequents this forum wrote, it is eye opening what pressure does to a fishery. Good luck everyone and keep up status quo. Years from now we will be talking about how it "used to be" just like they talk about Fork in the 90s...

See you on the lake and have a great day!
Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: Txduckhunter] #14361118 05/06/22 12:34 AM
T
TexY3TI Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I think one of the differences between HS fishing and other HS sports is that football, baseball, track, etc all have some sort of revenue earning potential for the school. So it is actually a bit more of an "investment" than an "expense".

And good for you (as a school) for helping and recognizing the HS fishing program, I know that most schools, at best, consider them nothing more than an outside program like the chess club. The school I currently captain for has made a point to include the anglers in the spring athletic banquet and recognize the accomplishments they have achieved for the year.
[/quote]

Much like colleges….Football is the only sport that has any profit margin. Every single other sport costs more to operate than it generates. That’s why all ticket sales go directly to a general athletic budget so that money can be used to help offset the costs associated with the demands of other sports. Concessions are also huge, which is why so many programs line up to claim rights to make all that money.

Everyone wants to compare apples to oranges when they don’t fully understand the logistics. The “I played football once before in Jr High”, therefore, “I’m the authority on all things sports related”…doesn’t really equate.

Football, basketball, baseball, track, tennis, fishing, bowling, golf, cheer, powerlifting, lacrosse are all sports, but don’t necessarily share the same identity.

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14361378 05/06/22 12:57 PM
J
Jaredk Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
I won state tennis in ‘87. Singles

Last edited by E8C-ENG; 05/06/22 12:58 PM.
Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14361388 05/06/22 01:10 PM
C
Cass Caldwell Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
It's obviously great for the industry and the kids, but the lack of etiquette amongst some of them is definitely an issue. Many of these Dad's have never tournament fished and buy a boat because there son's love it. Again, not a bad thing, but they need to learn the rules. I think all of the kids should be required to go through an etiquette class before competing in these tournaments.

Here's a run in I experienced at Lake O' The Pines during one of these tournaments:

I was sitting on a rocky point during the first 2 hours of the tournament.(I was in a separate tournament) I was catching them on a sweet spot nearly every other cast with a crankbait. I see a boat coming down the bank flipping bushes. I'm thinking they'll going around me on the point and continue flipping bushes...nope, they come right up on me, pick up a crankbaits and cast to the exact same sweet spot where I'm catching the fish. Our crankbaits were literally landing in the same exact spot. I didn't want to say anything because kids were involved, but ended up having a conversation with the dad, and they moved on. This is the kind of behavior that gives high school tournaments a bad name. But, it I think it could be helped with some education.

I've heard similar stories from many people, so there's definitely an issue, or it wouldn't be talked about so much.

Owner, ShredFin Fishing Co.
Veteran Owned

[Linked Image]
Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: Cass Caldwell] #14361410 05/06/22 01:33 PM
Tiltman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Cass Caldwell

I was sitting on a rocky point during the first 2 hours of the tournament.(I was in a separate tournament) I was catching them on a sweet spot nearly every other cast with a crankbait. I see a boat coming down the bank flipping bushes. I'm thinking they'll going around me on the point and continue flipping bushes...nope, they come right up on me, pick up a crankbaits and cast to the exact same sweet spot where I'm catching the fish. Our crankbaits were literally landing in the same exact spot.

Any angler that thinks this is ok is not at all good for the sport.

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: Tiltman] #14361412 05/06/22 01:35 PM
C
Cass Caldwell Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted by Tiltman
Originally Posted by Cass Caldwell

I was sitting on a rocky point during the first 2 hours of the tournament.(I was in a separate tournament) I was catching them on a sweet spot nearly every other cast with a crankbait. I see a boat coming down the bank flipping bushes. I'm thinking they'll going around me on the point and continue flipping bushes...nope, they come right up on me, pick up a crankbaits and cast to the exact same sweet spot where I'm catching the fish. Our crankbaits were literally landing in the same exact spot.

Any angler that thinks this is ok is not at all good for the sport.

Agreed Sir.

Owner, ShredFin Fishing Co.
Veteran Owned

[Linked Image]
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide