Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: txmasterpo] #14359371 05/04/22 04:21 AM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by txmasterpo
Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
I've always viewed them as a good thing, but have recently seen a number of posts from people who don't support them. We have opportunities for students of all ages to participate in almost every sport available. Why not bass fishing tournaments? Just curious what the other side is. I think THSBA is about 10 years old now and I don't recall seeing people having problems with these tournaments in the past.

Any sport where parents or relatives can be directly involved is doomed to poor behavior

Never thought about it that way, your 100% right coach

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: T-Slab] #14359415 05/04/22 10:46 AM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
They’ve come a long way from where it started, I think they’re doing a pretty darn good job with the beast it has become. No other tournament trail in this state deals with the number of anglers and events THSBA has…. My experiences this year during the 3 tournaments on Roberts in 7 days were all pretty good. Respectful anglers that would wait to come in and fish a spot till we were done. We had one run in in those 3 days, had nothing to do with the kids… it was a captain being an absolute asshat.

We all hate showing up to our favorite lake and it being absolutely hammered with boats, or the lake just getting beat to death for 3 weeks straight. There’s a real simple way to avoid having to deal with any of that… go to the THSBA website and look at their schedule before you decide what day/lake your going to fish. Only takes a couple of minutes and can save you a full day of frustration.

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: Bass Buster1] #14359451 05/04/22 11:43 AM
T
TexY3TI Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted by Bass Buster1
Originally Posted by wh2004
Originally Posted by grandbassslayer
Originally Posted by Bruce Allen
I think that high school bass fishing teams are wonderful. Yes, there is issues that should be addressed with incoming captains in a mandatory setting.

But what I don't like is when some "kids" that want to fish cannot because their school requires $500 down. For the kids I talked to their dad just doesn't have it and apparently, they have no way of earning it. For the two brothers $1000 is unattainable.

I could go on, but it has been covered in previous posts on here.

Every organized sport cost a bunch of money to play.

Really? What are high school football players paying?

Also a big problem, it is billed as HS fishing but it really has nothing to do with HS other than the age of the participants. The association, even though it’s intentions are noble, is a private company not the UIL. Because the teams are basically after school fishing clubs they can and do charge to belong. A super cool experience for a kid that I would have been all over were it available when I was in school, but I believe it has gotten bigger than can be reasonably controlled.

Not a problem at all…it’s 100% HS fishing. At our school, it is a sport just like any of our other sports. Managed and paid for by the school. In addition, fishing is not our only sport that isn’t governed by the UIL. You’re taking a few liberties here in your assumptions that clearly aren’t true.

Every single student on our team hasn’t paid a nickel to participate since we’ve joined.

And to your point about growth, there’s no doubt it has grown fast….but THSBA has done a good job of managing the growth and using the money appropriately. But no sport is ever going to be bigger than football, and it’s controlled quite well.

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: buda13] #14359453 05/04/22 11:46 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by buda13
They’ve come a long way… go to the THSBA website and look at their schedule before you decide what day/lake your going to fish. Only takes a couple of minutes and can save you a full day of frustration.

Clif notes?

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: SC-001] #14359503 05/04/22 12:42 PM
rh47 Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted by SC-001
Originally Posted by txmasterpo
Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
I've always viewed them as a good thing, but have recently seen a number of posts from people who don't support them. We have opportunities for students of all ages to participate in almost every sport available. Why not bass fishing tournaments? Just curious what the other side is. I think THSBA is about 10 years old now and I don't recall seeing people having problems with these tournaments in the past.

Any sport where parents or relatives can be directly involved is doomed to poor behavior

Never thought about it that way, your 100% right coach

👍

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: TexY3TI] #14359606 05/04/22 02:00 PM
C
coachallentca Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
[/quote]
Not a problem at all…it’s 100% HS fishing. At our school, it is a sport just like any of our other sports. Managed and paid for by the school. In addition, fishing is not our only sport that isn’t governed by the UIL. You’re taking a few liberties here in your assumptions that clearly aren’t true.

Every single student on our team hasn’t paid a nickel to participate since we’ve joined.

And to your point about growth, there’s no doubt it has grown fast….but THSBA has done a good job of managing the growth and using the money appropriately. But no sport is ever going to be bigger than football, and it’s controlled quite well.[/quote]

So what does your school pay for? Do they pay the entry fee's? Do they buy the jersey's? Club sports are NOT managed by UIL but other sports are like football, baseball, Basketball and others are... I am glad UIL is not over highschool bass fishing.

Last edited by coachallentca; 05/04/22 02:00 PM.
Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14359720 05/04/22 03:22 PM
ssmith Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
we do not need the schools paying for fishing of any kind they already whizz enough money away .

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: ssmith] #14359724 05/04/22 03:36 PM
C
coachallentca Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by ssmith
we do not need the schools paying for fishing of any kind they already whizz enough money away .

My son's school did not pay for anything..

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: coachallentca] #14359730 05/04/22 03:41 PM
T
TexY3TI Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted by coachallentca
[/quote]

And to your point about growth, there’s no doubt it has grown fast….but THSBA has done a good job of managing the growth and using the money appropriately. But no sport is ever going to be bigger than football, and it’s controlled quite well.

So what does your school pay for? Do they pay the entry fee's? Do they buy the jersey's? Club sports are NOT managed by UIL but other sports are like football, baseball, Basketball and others are... I am glad UIL is not over highschool bass fishing.
[/quote]

I thought it was pretty clear when I said that the school manages and pays for it and that the students don’t pay a nickel to participate. To answer your question again….the school pays for everything. We raise money for extra stuff, no different than the football team.

It looks like you’re not clear on club designations either. School districts have “sports” that are not “clubs” that operate outside of UIL jurisdiction…Fishing, Powerlifting, Lacrosse for example. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Volleyball, Tennis, Swimming, Powerlifting, Cheer, Fishing, Lacrosse, Soccer are all “School Sports” (not clubs) and are not all “UIL Sactioned”.

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: ssmith] #14359733 05/04/22 03:45 PM
Walls Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by ssmith

My son's school pays for nothing. The fishing team has a booster club that sells sponsor spaces on the jerseys. That income pays for everything except for a small membership fee ($25) for each angler.

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14359740 05/04/22 03:50 PM
J
J.H.S. Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
I can't speak for anybody else, but I do not have a problem with high-school tournaments per se, however, I do have a problem with how many high-schoolers are being taught to act during tournament competition. Honestly, I feel like major competition at that age is ruining bass fishing because those kids aren't being taught how to love the sport like many of us were. They see it as a "job" or "all about getting sponsors", instead of a pastime that many of us grew up enjoying. I didn't fall in love with fishing because of tournaments. I fell in love with fishing because of what it entails. Too many kids now are being taught that it is all about having the latest and greatest equipment, the most patches on your jersey, and hashtagging as many people on social media as possible. The sport is breeding a win-at-all-cost mentality in the younger generations that has already begun suffocating the sport into a rich man's game. The sport as a whole is not going in a direction that I find appealing.

Live Daringly, Boldy, and Fearlessly....Embrace the Challenge So That You May Feel the Exhiliration of Victory.

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: TexY3TI] #14359762 05/04/22 04:15 PM
B
Bass Buster1 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
B
[/quote]

Also a big problem, it is billed as HS fishing but it really has nothing to do with HS other than the age of the participants. The association, even though it’s intentions are noble, is a private company not the UIL. Because the teams are basically after school fishing clubs they can and do charge to belong. A super cool experience for a kid that I would have been all over were it available when I was in school, but I believe it has gotten bigger than can be reasonably controlled.
[/quote]

And to your point about growth, there’s no doubt it has grown fast….but THSBA has done a good job of managing the growth and using the money appropriately. But no sport is ever going to be bigger than football, and it’s controlled quite well.[/quote]

Not taking liberties at all. When my Son was in HS he was on the "HS" shooting team and after captaining a couple of fishing tournaments the model is exactly the same. The sponsoring organization is likely a 501C3 probably with a few paid employees that bills itself as a HS sport. The fees that are paid to that organization to participate in the events I am guessing will mostly be used for the good of the kids but some will also be used to pay employees unless it is an ALL volunteer organization. It is most definitely a private club sport though with HS kids as participants,not an official HS sport. If you have a school that is sponsoring the kids that is cool but I would guess most are not. The kids I took out were pay to play, all on the families dime. Again I would have loved to have something like this when I was younger so not faulting those who participate.

Back ground checks and a youth protection class are required to captain, a boat safety and tournament ethics class for adults and kids could easily be required as well.

See you on the lake and have a great day!
Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: J.H.S.] #14359770 05/04/22 04:26 PM
T
TexY3TI Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted by J.H.S.
I can't speak for anybody else, but I do not have a problem with high-school tournaments per se, however, I do have a problem with how many high-schoolers are being taught to act during tournament competition. Honestly, I feel like major competition at that age is ruining bass fishing because those kids aren't being taught how to love the sport like many of us were. They see it as a "job" or "all about getting sponsors", instead of a pastime that many of us grew up enjoying. I didn't fall in love with fishing because of tournaments. I fell in love with fishing because of what it entails. Too many kids now are being taught that it is all about having the latest and greatest equipment, the most patches on your jersey, and hashtagging as many people on social media as possible. The sport is breeding a win-at-all-cost mentality in the younger generations that has already begun suffocating the sport into a rich man's game. The sport as a whole is not going in a direction that I find appealing.

I mean, I think it’s pretty apparent that the sport itself has evolved away from what we grew up accustomed to. But I think it’s a reach to say high-schoolers are being “taught” to act any certain way. I believe the overwhelming majority are being mentored by good dudes and parents and people are using the outliers as a means to cast blanket statements at the whole group. And as much as you don’t like it….Bassmasters and MLF are all about the sponsors, product placement and electronics. A young angler idolizing Jacob Wheeler is no different than football players idolizing Tom Brady. They’ll mimic what they like.

Where I don’t disagree with you is that the sport is going in a direction not all of us are necessarily comfortable with….but it’s a situation of what can you control. I for one can evolve with it to the point where I feel like the sports still able to maintain its integrity, and I don’t feel like it’s at that point where it’s lost it yet.

There bad apples in all areas, sports and platforms…from the participants to the coaches to the parents, and you have to learn to navigate it without getting so pissy you ruin it for other people.

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: Bass Buster1] #14359785 05/04/22 04:33 PM
T
TexY3TI Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted by Bass Buster1
[/quote]

Not taking liberties at all. When my Son was in HS he was on the "HS" shooting team and after captaining a couple of fishing tournaments the model is exactly the same. The sponsoring organization is likely a 501C3 probably with a few paid employees that bills itself as a HS sport. The fees that are paid to that organization to participate in the events I am guessing will mostly be used for the good of the kids but some will also be used to pay employees unless it is an ALL volunteer organization. It is most definitely a private club sport though with HS kids as participants,not an official HS sport. If you have a school that is sponsoring the kids that is cool but I would guess most are not. The kids I took out were pay to play, all on the families dime. Again I would have loved to have something like this when I was younger so not faulting those who participate.

Back ground checks and a youth protection class are required to captain, a boat safety and tournament ethics class for adults and kids could easily be required as well.
[/quote]

…and I do understand that not all programs are set up the way ours is. And I’m 100% with getting new boaters/captains educated on the ethics and courtesies of the water. I’m not trying to be an [censored], I’m just speaking from my experience, and ours was originally set up as a club and we as a district decided it was unfair for students to have to pay out of pocket to participate since they don’t have to for football…so we made it a full blown “official” sport.

We require background checks and all of our captains operate under the school district, so anyone who violates our athletic/school code of conduct can be subject to removal.

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14359832 05/04/22 05:18 PM
T
the skipper Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
T
Yall should hear what non tournament people say about all the adult tournament guys. Bunch of adults complaining about kids being out on the water. Everything isn't rainbows and unicorns but the attitude from the adults seem to be the problem, not high school fishing. This is the same thing I say about all youth sports, do not complain unless your willing to go out there and coach or captain.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide