texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,008
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,320
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,323
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,876
Posts13,954,640
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14359148 05/03/22 11:37 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Online Content OP
the janitor
OP Online Content
the janitor
J
Originally Posted by K.D.
Ive not really gotten involved in these threads as I dont have a dog in this hunt. But glancing thru this Im surprised none of the advisors or more experienced Dads have made videos teaching the fishermans code of ethics. I would think that would be a primary focus on high school fishing sports, teaching th rights and wrongs of the sport

I was thinking the same thing and can't find much on YouTube. This one covers a few points, but there is definitely room for a 30-45 minute video discussing all aspects for a newcomer to tournament fishing. Someone needs to hit it all in a video ... from launch to weigh-in.

The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

[Linked Image]
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: Chris B] #14359154 05/03/22 11:42 PM
T
T-Slab Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
T
Originally Posted by Chris B
I wish they would have had them when I was in school. The issue I see on the water are tournaments twice or three times the size of a Basschamps type tournament. They completely take over a lake and half of them have no knowledge of tournament ethics and some just very little knowledge of boat operation. The fields are so big that you are having more and more confrontations on the water. To many boats and not enough water for all of them.

Take over a lake? roflmao Sorry haven’t experienced or had any issues with that either. I think some of y’all go looking for confrontations on the water.

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: Ken Starling] #14359177 05/04/22 12:22 AM
Walls Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Ken Starling
That is all up to the team not us. We charge a $60 membership fee per year and a tournament fee.
Originally Posted by wh2004
Originally Posted by Bruce Allen
I think that high school bass fishing teams are wonderful. Yes, there is issues that should be addressed with incoming captains in a mandatory setting.

But what I don't like is when some "kids" that want to fish cannot because their school requires $500 down. For the kids I talked to their dad just doesn't have it and apparently, they have no way of earning it. For the two brothers $1000 is unattainable.

I could go on, but it has been covered in previous posts on here.

My son and I would like to do this in 2.5 years when he’s a freshman. This is the first I’ve heard of this and that sucks.

Two different schools here in two different trails and neither of them had anything like that. My son's school has a booster club attached and sell sponsorships on their jerseys. Each team member pays $25 for the year and has all entries paid by the club including championship. Sponsorships takes care of the majority of it.

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14359179 05/04/22 12:25 AM
P
pil,b Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
They had a championship on PK a couple of years ago and had 200+ boats and yea they took over the lake. They need 5-6 divisons and whittle it down for a championship.

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: pil,b] #14359210 05/04/22 12:55 AM
T
TexY3TI Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted by pil,b
They had a championship on PK a couple of years ago and had 200+ boats and yea they took over the lake. They need 5-6 divisons and whittle it down for a championship.

I’ve been apart of THSBA for 4-5 years now, and I would agree that to move on, they need to trim the field. I also understand they want to make as much money as possible.

Should be top 40% to Regionals and 25-30 to State. Belton is going to have way too many boats next weekend for a championship tournament.

….and to the point about highschool captains being rude on the water, I had a basschamps tournament this year with my son and a boat cut me off 20-30 yards away while running docks and stared me down while they were pulling in to the next dock we were trolling to….almost like they were daring me to say something. There certainly are people looking for trouble on the water, even in the bigger tournaments.

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: pil,b] #14359216 05/04/22 12:58 AM
K
Ken Starling Online Happy
TFF Team Angler
Online Happy
TFF Team Angler
K
THSBA actually has 9 divisions and take a percentage of the AOY from 3 different divisions to come up with the 3 separate regionals. Then take half the field into State. We have been talking about the size of the events for the past year.

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: Bruce Allen] #14359251 05/04/22 01:40 AM
G
grandbassslayer Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
G
I think that high school bass fishing teams are wonderful. Yes, there is issues that should be addressed with incoming captains in a mandatory setting.

But what I don't like is when some "kids" that want to fish cannot because their school requires $500 down. For the kids I talked to their dad just doesn't have it and apparently, they have no way of earning it. For the two brothers $1000 is unattainable.

Every organized sport cost a bunch of money to play.

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14359276 05/04/22 02:03 AM
Larry Mosby Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I think it’s a good thing! I’ve been involved with high school fishing for several years. The problems most complain about happen in adult tournaments too. It’s up to the boat captains to teach the kids fishing what or what not to do. That’s why we have rules for high school and adult tournaments as well. The kids don’t drive the boat so when a team pulls in on someone or pulls up in front of another boat and starts fishing the bank the first boat was fishing you can bet that’s the same guy that will do it in an adult tournament or just out pleasure fishing. Overall the good out weighs the bad and it gets the kids outta the house and their heads out of video games.

Larry Mosby
Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: K.D.] #14359277 05/04/22 02:05 AM
C
coachmas Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted by K.D.
Ive not really gotten involved in these threads as I dont have a dog in this hunt. But glancing thru this Im surprised none of the advisors or more experienced Dads have made videos teaching the fishermans code of ethics. I would think that would be a primary focus on high school fishing sports, teaching th rights and wrongs of the sport

Hey, I like that idea. Maybe some guides/captains/experienced tournament guys would be willing to put something together. Sit down round table and on the water type stuff.

Wishin I was Fishin!!!

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: grandbassslayer] #14359279 05/04/22 02:07 AM
W
wh2004 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
W
Originally Posted by grandbassslayer

Really? What are high school football players paying?

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: Ken Starling] #14359282 05/04/22 02:11 AM
C
coachmas Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted by Ken Starling
THSBA actually has 9 divisions and take a percentage of the AOY from 3 different divisions to come up with the 3 separate regionals. Then take half the field into State. We have been talking about the size of the events for the past year.

Thanks for all you guys do Ken! I know it isn't easy. I’d be for narrowing down the numbers at regional and state events. 300+ on Belton is a lot of boats.

Wishin I was Fishin!!!

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14359296 05/04/22 02:31 AM
R
Rescue Fire Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Get tha hell outta my yard!!!

Hey you're fishin my spot!!!

I think it's just old man syndrome setting in.

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: wh2004] #14359367 05/04/22 04:02 AM
B
Bass Buster1 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by wh2004
Originally Posted by grandbassslayer

Really? What are high school football players paying?

Also a big problem, it is billed as HS fishing but it really has nothing to do with HS other than the age of the participants. The association, even though it’s intentions are noble, is a private company not the UIL. Because the teams are basically after school fishing clubs they can and do charge to belong. A super cool experience for a kid that I would have been all over were it available when I was in school, but I believe it has gotten bigger than can be reasonably controlled.

See you on the lake and have a great day!
Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14359368 05/04/22 04:03 AM
C
cephusjoe Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
C
I think an elementary division would be a better approach. I’m sorry but when I was in high school I fished against the other grown men. Out of piece of junk boat…. I did ok.

Let’s face it. 15/16/17 year old kids fishing out of a $60,000 boat being pulled by $65,000 truck with their boat captains guiding them to their fish waters everything down a bit??? Lol

Then they graduate and borrow their dads boat to fish in bass champs. It’s hysterical

Or even apply to a $35,000 boat and a $25,000 truck… same same

Last edited by cephusjoe; 05/04/22 04:15 AM.

Mcurtain county okie
Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14359370 05/04/22 04:18 AM
T
txmasterpo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
T
Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
I've always viewed them as a good thing, but have recently seen a number of posts from people who don't support them. We have opportunities for students of all ages to participate in almost every sport available. Why not bass fishing tournaments? Just curious what the other side is. I think THSBA is about 10 years old now and I don't recall seeing people having problems with these tournaments in the past.

Any sport where parents or relatives can be directly involved is doomed to poor behavior

http://www.trccovers.com

"I am large, I contain multitudes."

Walt Whitman
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide