Re: Lake Fork guide [Re: hopalong] #14358175 05/02/22 08:41 PM
W
wh2004 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
W
Originally Posted by hopalong
Originally Posted by wh2004
Yes hopalong, hunting elk and catching 1 fish are the exact same thing.

guiding elk, I could put folks on the elk no problem since we had camps in the weimenuche wilderness and it has the largest herd in colorado.

hunter gets the shakes and misses is that my fault?

guide puts a person on fish and they can't get the lure or presentation right is that the guides fault they didn't catch?

Obviously no. Here’s the difference. Everyone in the world knows if the client misses an elk. How the hell anyone know if this guide actually put them on fish.
If the guide was up there catching them and showing them It could be done with this presentation, I’d agree. But when no one on the boat, including the guide catches one? Yeah, sorry I’m not buying that they were on the fish.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Lake Fork guide [Re: hopalong] #14358194 05/02/22 09:09 PM
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by Douglas J
Originally Posted by Cameron
Many guides are not fishing Lake Fork. I understand why in the winter, but not in the spring. I’d rather blank on Fork and have a chance at a giant- than pay big bucks for 20 rats on Welsh.

Of all the guides you have known over the years, how many could blank in the middle of the spawn and shad spawn with 3 clients in an 8 hour day?

Be honest...

none the way you worded it, bad fishermen easy to blank.

can't set hook right, wait too long or don't put enough in it.

insist on wrong lure and not good at presenting it. ie. chatterbait, sometimes a straight retrieve works, sometimes a lift and drop works, sometimes making it bump timber works. if the person tossing it can't figure that out they blank.

y'all keep acting like just because a guide can put people on fish the dam fish will attack any lure thrown any way, simply won't work that way on any lake.

have you ever fished one end of the boat and blanked while the other end keeps gettin bit with same lures?

I was asking someone I have known since he was a kid and has spent his entire life, every day, at Lake Fork.

But, thanks for the answer.

And truth is not a single decent guide on a good weather day in middle of the spawn would get skunked with 3 customers and him/herself.

It says in the post that the guide fished some too, so what's your participation trophy excuse for the guide not getting a bite in April during a late spawn and shad spawn?

My wife fishes 3-4 times a year for bass, uses one technique mostly, a wacky worm. And she has never gotten skunked at Fork in the spring with me and I am not a guide or even close.

It's okay to admit some of these guides suck and they are basically stealing from unsuspecting customers.

#MFGA
Re: Lake Fork guide [Re: Cliff31] #14358196 05/02/22 09:14 PM
L
Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
The guides job is to teach you the customer how to catch the fish on your own and apply the right presentation that it takes.

Not for the guide to catch fish in front of the customer. I have had days where I showed the right presentation to the customers and after showing it a telling the customer 10 times or more they still don't listen or fish it right.

Guess how that ends ? Oh but it is always the guides fault cause he makes a living teaching the students / Customers.

I would think if the guide did fish that day which is crazy with 3 guys in the boat he probably did not cast to the sweet spots to catch one in front of the customers. customers don't like the guide fishing or catching fish on a guide trip.

I will fish sometimes to make sure the bite is still on and make sure the presentation is the same but if I know it is on.... I won't fish especailly with 3 guys.

95 percent of my customers understand and are there willing to learn how to get better.

If you have a couple of grand kids take them fishing for a day and see how many bass they can catch.

Bites are sometime very hard to feel. I had a guy a few weeks back that insisted he wanted to throw a Texas Rig when my best bite was a chatter bait or a square bill.

So I switched it for him told him what to do to get bit .

A few minutes later 30 - 45 mins probably he said well they are not bitting this. I looked at the brush hawg and it had teeth marks all over it !!!!! Never felt a bite. OOPS that is the guides fault right .

Just saying fishing is easy but catching is HARD.

Re: Lake Fork guide [Re: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell] #14358199 05/02/22 09:19 PM
W
wh2004 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
W
Originally Posted by Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell
The guides job is to teach you the customer how to catch the fish on your own and apply the right presentation that it takes.

Not for the guide to catch fish in front of the customer. I have had days where I showed the right presentation to the customers and after showing it a telling the customer 10 times or more they still don't listen or fish it right.

Guess how that ends ? Oh but it is always the guides fault cause he makes a living teaching the students / Customers.

I would think if the guide did fish that day which is crazy with 3 guys in the boat he probably did not cast to the sweet spots to catch one in front of the customers. customers don't like the guide fishing or catching fish on a guide trip.

I will fish sometimes to make sure the bite is still on and make sure the presentation is the same but if I know it is on.... I won't fish especailly with 3 guys.

95 percent of my customers understand and are there willing to learn how to get better.

If you have a couple of grand kids take them fishing for a day and see how many bass they can catch.

Bites are sometime very hard to feel. I had a guy a few weeks back that insisted he wanted to throw a Texas Rig when my best bite was a chatter bait or a square bill.

So I switched it for him told him what to do to get bit .

A few minutes later 30 - 45 mins probably he said well they are not bitting this. I looked at the brush hawg and it had teeth marks all over it !!!!! Never felt a bite. OOPS that is the guides fault right .

Just saying fishing is easy but catching is HARD.

I’m pretty sure not one person said any of those things is the guide’s fault.

Re: Lake Fork guide [Re: Douglas J] #14358263 05/02/22 10:48 PM
Cameron Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Many guides are not fishing Lake Fork. I understand why in the winter, but not in the spring. I’d rather blank on Fork and have a chance at a giant- than pay big bucks for 20 rats on Welsh.

Of all the guides you have known over the years, how many could blank in the middle of the spawn and shad spawn with 3 clients in an 8 hour day?

Be honest...

You know the answer to that question. Man idk. Heck if you get desperate you can always drop shot. I don’t envy bass guides at all, tough job.

Re: Lake Fork guide [Re: Cliff31] #14358272 05/02/22 10:58 PM
F
Fishspanker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Tournament guys zero some days. It happens. I want a guide who puts in the effort to try to catch them even when they day is tough.

The Sheep who only fears the Wolf is eaten by the Shepherd.
Re: Lake Fork guide [Re: Cliff31] #14358306 05/02/22 11:36 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
It depends on the guide. Some guides on Fork are very good and know the lake very well, Marc is one of them. Some "guides" on Fork are just there to get paid to take people out. You need to choose the right guide. The O/P did not name the guide or tell us about his knowledge of Fork so we don't know that part. Guides can't make the fish bite or make up for the lack of experience his clients have catching fish. It is what it is. Simple as that.

I have talked to several guides that have told their client what the fish are biting on but the client wants to fish something else, and then does so, even when the guide tells them that is not a good idea, then they complain when they are disappointed with the ones they caught. Well, they should have listened to the guide.

Last edited by ezbassin; 05/02/22 11:39 PM.
Re: Lake Fork guide [Re: Douglas J] #14358324 05/02/22 11:47 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco

Be honest...

none the way you worded it, bad fishermen easy to blank.

can't set hook right, wait too long or don't put enough in it.

insist on wrong lure and not good at presenting it. ie. chatterbait, sometimes a straight retrieve works, sometimes a lift and drop works, sometimes making it bump timber works. if the person tossing it can't figure that out they blank.

y'all keep acting like just because a guide can put people on fish the dam fish will attack any lure thrown any way, simply won't work that way on any lake.

have you ever fished one end of the boat and blanked while the other end keeps gettin bit with same lures?

I was asking someone I have known since he was a kid and has spent his entire life, every day, at Lake Fork.

But, thanks for the answer.

And truth is not a single decent guide on a good weather day in middle of the spawn would get skunked with 3 customers and him/herself.

It says in the post that the guide fished some too, so what's your participation trophy excuse for the guide not getting a bite in April during a late spawn and shad spawn?

My wife fishes 3-4 times a year for bass, uses one technique mostly, a wacky worm. And she has never gotten skunked at Fork in the spring with me and I am not a guide or even close.

It's okay to admit some of these guides suck and they are basically stealing from unsuspecting customers.

this is from the op, re read it, if you can.

The guide was awesome. Super patient, knowledgeable and personable. But as much as it cost and it being the first guide I hired, I’m more than disappointed.

any guide can have a bad day, another member on here and I fish every couple of months with a well known and dam good guide, last trip we got skunked and I know for a fact we were on fish since I was watching the dam graph.

every guide has days the the pursued critter will not cooperate, I guided in the very best location in colorado and only had an 85% kill ratio, there were some days the animals just did not do what was expected, same with dam fish, they do not always bite.

could care less how your wife does and don't give a rats arse how you do, the fact is the customer says the guide was knowledgeable and other than no fish he seems to not have had a problem with him. I would like to know which guide it was too since I have been there since 2009 and know dam near every full timer on the lake, I also like all of them.

want to argue some more then just bring it, as for participation trophy, i suggest you give one to yourself for dumbarse post of the week.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: Lake Fork guide [Re: Cliff31] #14358329 05/02/22 11:49 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
by the way dougie, there is not a single guide on fork that always has a good day, I know of a couple that have been bassmaster qualified that have been skunked, it happens to the best no matter what time of year it is.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999

Re: Lake Fork guide [Re: ezbassin] #14358335 05/02/22 11:54 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by ezbassin
It depends on the guide. Some guides on Fork are very good and know the lake very well, Marc is one of them. Some "guides" on Fork are just there to get paid to take people out. You need to choose the right guide. The O/P did not name the guide or tell us about his knowledge of Fork so we don't know that part. Guides can't make the fish bite or make up for the lack of experience his clients have catching fish. It is what it is. Simple as that.

I have talked to several guides that have told their client what the fish are biting on but the client wants to fish something else, and then does so, even when the guide tells them that is not a good idea, then they complain when they are disappointed with the ones they caught. Well, they should have listened to the guide.

that right there is probably what went on, until the op comes up with guide name and how they fished this time of year no one on here is right or wrong.

this friday another tff member and I are going out with our favorite and I will fish my way regardless, I always do and he has no problem with it. I have had days I got skunked due to trying new stuff and days I was the only one that caught a dam fish.

after fishing more than 60 years I think I know what I am doing and will follow guides advice if I am not sure of what I want to do. it is that simple for me.

add: since it was his first trip with a guide I have no doubt that there were elevated expectations, normal.

Last edited by hopalong; 05/03/22 12:12 AM.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999

Re: Lake Fork guide [Re: Cliff31] #14358345 05/03/22 12:00 AM
W
wh2004 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
W
He didn’t name the guide but he said what they did:

I’m not all that familiar with the lake, but we launched at 6:30am from Pope’s Landing Marina. Initially went straight across where we threw shad lures for at least an hour.

The next spot already had boats, so believe we spent the rest of the day in little Mustang. There we threw a Texas rigged worms pretty much the whole time. Moved a few spots and switched colors, but that was about it.

Re: Lake Fork guide [Re: wh2004] #14358351 05/03/22 12:08 AM
skeeterokc Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
I realize I have not posted very much, but I have lost a great deal of respect for some posters on here from this thread.

Re: Lake Fork guide [Re: skeeterokc] #14358353 05/03/22 12:11 AM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by skeeterokc
I realize I have not posted very much, but I have lost a great deal of respect for some posters on here from this thread.

hope I ain't one, this Okie speaks his mind is all. cheers

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999

Re: Lake Fork guide [Re: hopalong] #14358363 05/03/22 12:19 AM
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
by the way dougie, there is not a single guide on fork that always has a good day, I know of a couple that have been bassmaster qualified that have been skunked, it happens to the best no matter what time of year it is.

Any half way decent guide on Fork will catch fish out of their boats every single day in the Spring when the fish are moving up, spawning and post spawn. I guarantee none of the average and above guides ever get skunked when the Spring bite is full blown.

That's all I am saying, some guides are printing money on the rep of the lake and they suck. Stop making excuses for a guide who obviously sucked.

Heck even you could probably get a bite right now at Fork roflmao

#MFGA
Re: Lake Fork guide [Re: Cliff31] #14358382 05/03/22 12:35 AM
Chris B Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I've got a good friend that has won a lot of tournaments that zeroed three times in a row out there. It happens.

[Linked Image]
I hate photobucket.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide