texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
drew82, GoFishin, KrisR, Fins_and_feathers, JB117
117280 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
TexDawg 109,235
hopalong 106,437
Bigbob_FTW 82,210
Pilothawk 82,083
John175☮ 81,854
JDavis7873® 67,408
Mark Perry 66,034
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,140,596
Posts15,542,568
Members142,279
Most Online36,273
Jan 23rd, 2013
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Drop Shot hook tie [Re: ReelSlow] #14357799 05/02/22 02:24 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 12,777
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Offline
Groovy
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 12,777
Originally Posted by ReelSlow
Originally Posted by Douglas J
Palomar and run your tag through the eye of the hook is a lot simpler.

This a weekend warrior who is an engineer kind of over thinking a simple thing type of deal grin


Well you nailed me right there. I am a retired Engineer but a weekday warrior thankfully.

In have a real hard time doubling the line and pushing it through a hook eye. I tie a uni knot all other applications and don't suffer from knot failures. I could run the line through and double back again, and have done that many times, but the uni works for me and is easier and I like easier. I tried the knot im asking about and I myself can tie it much easier, so if I were to get confirmation from others that it works well without failures , well....that would be a good thing for me.
confused 3


You don't need to reinvent the wheel. When I was a kid fishing off the bank I used this same rig to fish for catfish & carp.

Don't double the line and try to push it thru the tiny hook eye. Go thru the eye and pull about 18" of line thru. Now push the line back thru the eye the other direction. You have now effectively doubled the line thru the hookeye. Tie the palomar knot and go fishing.

We have complicated the dropshot rig to include braid to fluoro leader knots, special hooks, special weights, technique specific rods & reels, etc. Its a bottom fishing catfish rig. Pure & simple.

Last edited by Ken A.; 05/02/22 02:24 PM.


IF YOU DON'T LIKE ME YOU SHOULD GET TESTED. ONE OF THE SYMPTOMS OF COVID IS NO TASTE!
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Drop Shot hook tie [Re: Ken A.] #14357839 05/02/22 03:03 PM
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,634
D
David Burton Offline
TFF Team Angler
Offline
TFF Team Angler
D
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,634
Originally Posted by Ken A.
Originally Posted by ReelSlow
Originally Posted by Douglas J
Palomar and run your tag through the eye of the hook is a lot simpler.

This a weekend warrior who is an engineer kind of over thinking a simple thing type of deal grin


Well you nailed me right there. I am a retired Engineer but a weekday warrior thankfully.

In have a real hard time doubling the line and pushing it through a hook eye. I tie a uni knot all other applications and don't suffer from knot failures. I could run the line through and double back again, and have done that many times, but the uni works for me and is easier and I like easier. I tried the knot im asking about and I myself can tie it much easier, so if I were to get confirmation from others that it works well without failures , well....that would be a good thing for me.
confused 3


You don't need to reinvent the wheel. When I was a kid fishing off the bank I used this same rig to fish for catfish & carp.

Don't double the line and try to push it thru the tiny hook eye. Go thru the eye and pull about 18" of line thru. Now push the line back thru the eye the other direction. You have now effectively doubled the line thru the hookeye. Tie the palomar knot and go fishing.

We have complicated the dropshot rig to include braid to fluoro leader knots, special hooks, special weights, technique specific rods & reels, etc. Its a bottom fishing catfish rig. Pure & simple.



Yep, simple technique that is definitely not as new as the fad. We used it for minnow fishing below the dam at Whitney for Sandies in the discharge current when I was a kid! Mind you, I probably used a snap swivel and snell hook, as I wasn't into all the equipment changes from bank fishing until I started really bass fishing about 15 years ago!

Last edited by David Burton; 05/02/22 03:05 PM.

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: Drop Shot hook tie [Re: ReelSlow] #14357891 05/02/22 03:42 PM
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 117
C
Chis D Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 117
Yes. I use it and it works great. Hooks stay upward facing, easy to predict the tag line length and I rarely have a break at the hook. I use a palmor on pretty much everything and have used palmor for DS in the past, but this has become my norm. I don't know if one is better or worse, but it works fine for me.

Re: Drop Shot hook tie [Re: tmd11111] #14358285 05/02/22 11:15 PM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 16,110
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
Offline
TFF Guru
E
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 16,110
Originally Posted by tmd11111
I’ve seen that video before and have been meaning to try it. I use a palmor knot and just pull the tag end back through the eye. Been working so why change


When I pull the tag end back through the eyelet I pull on it until the knot goes through the eyelet and that makes sure the hook sits straight out. That is just how I do it.

Re: Drop Shot hook tie [Re: Ken A.] #14358311 05/02/22 11:39 PM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 2,159
ReelSlow Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 2,159
Originally Posted by Ken A.
Originally Posted by ReelSlow
Originally Posted by Douglas J
Palomar and run your tag through the eye of the hook is a lot simpler.

This a weekend warrior who is an engineer kind of over thinking a simple thing type of deal grin


Well you nailed me right there. I am a retired Engineer but a weekday warrior thankfully.

In have a real hard time doubling the line and pushing it through a hook eye. I tie a uni knot all other applications and don't suffer from knot failures. I could run the line through and double back again, and have done that many times, but the uni works for me and is easier and I like easier. I tried the knot im asking about and I myself can tie it much easier, so if I were to get confirmation from others that it works well without failures , well....that would be a good thing for me.
confused 3


You don't need to reinvent the wheel. When I was a kid fishing off the bank I used this same rig to fish for catfish & carp.

Don't double the line and try to push it thru the tiny hook eye. Go thru the eye and pull about 18" of line thru. Now push the line back thru the eye the other direction. You have now effectively doubled the line thru the hookeye. Tie the palomar knot and go fishing.

We have complicated the dropshot rig to include braid to fluoro leader knots, special hooks, special weights, technique specific rods & reels, etc. Its a bottom fishing catfish rig. Pure & simple.


Ken, it is obvious to me that you are a heck of an Angler, so tell me, do you use a leader ? Straight braid? Straight floro? Thanks


GOD is good!
Re: Drop Shot hook tie [Re: Hog Jaw] #14358313 05/02/22 11:41 PM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 2,159
ReelSlow Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 2,159
Originally Posted by Hog Jaw
Too much work ,



It is actually very easy to tie IMO


GOD is good!
Re: Drop Shot hook tie [Re: Chis D] #14358316 05/02/22 11:42 PM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 2,159
ReelSlow Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 2,159
Originally Posted by Chis D
Yes. I use it and it works great. Hooks stay upward facing, easy to predict the tag line length and I rarely have a break at the hook. I use a palmor on pretty much everything and have used palmor for DS in the past, but this has become my norm. I don't know if one is better or worse, but it works fine for me.


Good to hear, exactly what my OP was asking, thank you


GOD is good!
Re: Drop Shot hook tie [Re: ReelSlow] #14358427 05/03/22 01:31 AM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 16,110
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
Offline
TFF Guru
E
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 16,110
Originally Posted by ReelSlow
Originally Posted by Hog Jaw
Too much work ,



It is actually very easy to tie IMO


I thought it looked pretty easy to tie also, not like it is complicated at all.

Re: Drop Shot hook tie [Re: ReelSlow] #14358449 05/03/22 01:53 AM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 12,777
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Offline
Groovy
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 12,777
Originally Posted by ReelSlow
Originally Posted by Ken A.
Originally Posted by ReelSlow
Originally Posted by Douglas J
Palomar and run your tag through the eye of the hook is a lot simpler.

This a weekend warrior who is an engineer kind of over thinking a simple thing type of deal grin


Well you nailed me right there. I am a retired Engineer but a weekday warrior thankfully.

In have a real hard time doubling the line and pushing it through a hook eye. I tie a uni knot all other applications and don't suffer from knot failures. I could run the line through and double back again, and have done that many times, but the uni works for me and is easier and I like easier. I tried the knot im asking about and I myself can tie it much easier, so if I were to get confirmation from others that it works well without failures , well....that would be a good thing for me.
confused 3


You don't need to reinvent the wheel. When I was a kid fishing off the bank I used this same rig to fish for catfish & carp.

Don't double the line and try to push it thru the tiny hook eye. Go thru the eye and pull about 18" of line thru. Now push the line back thru the eye the other direction. You have now effectively doubled the line thru the hookeye. Tie the palomar knot and go fishing.

We have complicated the dropshot rig to include braid to fluoro leader knots, special hooks, special weights, technique specific rods & reels, etc. Its a bottom fishing catfish rig. Pure & simple.


Ken, it is obvious to me that you are a heck of an Angler, so tell me, do you use a leader ? Straight braid? Straight floro? Thanks


The last time I drop shotted was about a month ago. It was with 50# braid all the way to the 5/0 Jungle flipping hook and 3/4 oz bass casting sinker with a 10" Jawtec Sultan worm. I didn't catch any giants that day but I did get a 10.17 on it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]



IF YOU DON'T LIKE ME YOU SHOULD GET TESTED. ONE OF THE SYMPTOMS OF COVID IS NO TASTE!
Re: Drop Shot hook tie [Re: ReelSlow] #14358563 05/03/22 10:17 AM
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 8,336
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 8,336
A 10.7 isn't considered a giant? hmmm

Re: Drop Shot hook tie [Re: ReelSlow] #14358592 05/03/22 11:53 AM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 2,159
ReelSlow Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 2,159
That's not what she said.


GOD is good!
Re: Drop Shot hook tie [Re: tmd11111] #14358604 05/03/22 12:23 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 12,777
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Offline
Groovy
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 12,777
Originally Posted by tmd11111
A 10.7 isn't considered a giant? hmmm


It was just my attempt at sarcastic humor. wink Any Legit DD is a giant!

I was just trying to say to the OP that he is overthinking the whole dropshot thing. I use the same rig for drop shotting that I use for catfish, carp, and crappie. He needs to stop thinking about it and go fishing.

Last edited by Ken A.; 05/03/22 12:26 PM.


IF YOU DON'T LIKE ME YOU SHOULD GET TESTED. ONE OF THE SYMPTOMS OF COVID IS NO TASTE!
Re: Drop Shot hook tie [Re: Ken A.] #14358627 05/03/22 12:57 PM
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 8,336
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 8,336
Originally Posted by Ken A.
Originally Posted by tmd11111
A 10.7 isn't considered a giant? hmmm


It was just my attempt at sarcastic humor. wink Any Legit DD is a giant!

I was just trying to say to the OP that he is overthinking the whole dropshot thing. I use the same rig for drop shotting that I use for catfish, carp, and crappie. He needs to stop thinking about it and go fishing.


Figured it was sarcasm but after catching teeners with Wendall who knows.

Re: Drop Shot hook tie [Re: tmd11111] #14358644 05/03/22 01:16 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 12,777
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Offline
Groovy
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 12,777
Originally Posted by tmd11111
Originally Posted by Ken A.
Originally Posted by tmd11111
A 10.7 isn't considered a giant? hmmm


It was just my attempt at sarcastic humor. wink Any Legit DD is a giant!

I was just trying to say to the OP that he is overthinking the whole dropshot thing. I use the same rig for drop shotting that I use for catfish, carp, and crappie. He needs to stop thinking about it and go fishing.


Figured it was sarcasm but after catching teeners with Wendall who knows.


Wasn't a teener ugh After we sat and watched the fish for 45 mins I told Wendell what she weighed before I got her in the boat. I missed her by 2 oz.



IF YOU DON'T LIKE ME YOU SHOULD GET TESTED. ONE OF THE SYMPTOMS OF COVID IS NO TASTE!
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3