Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
Grapevine Lake 2022 #14344351 04/15/22 12:53 PM
P
prosise Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
This thread is for sharing information for Grapevine Lake. Please feel free to throw out any information out to help others. Please do not throw out any negative comments, and keep this a friendly positive thread. Thanks all..

Prosise

Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14344364 04/15/22 01:06 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
I was out with my fishing mentor yesterday chasing the green fish. About mid-day we shuttled a man from mid lake to Scotts landing, so he could drive his truck-trailer near his boat. He had motor trouble, and trying to save him some time. Birds were pounding the surface between the island and Scotts landing. About 2pm we noticed them pounding the water on the north side of the lake, ventured out and had a great time catching some sandbass. Caught allot of really big ones, and the others about keeper length. I guess they didn't get the memo about the run up the creek.. I have heard from people about fish that spawn on the main lake, and my fishing buddy said the same. I was throwing a small shad crankbait that goes to about 8ft, reeling-pause-reeling-pause. This worked really well, they would crush it when it stopped. You will need to keep up with them with the trolling motor, but we spot locked on them twice and when they moved on we went back to the green fish. I saw boats on the north side of the lake where we were for hours. The shad spawn in on right now in many areas of the lake, and also up the creek (pretty hard). But if I had to choose right now, I would go to the main lake.. I have some video and pictures, will try and get some to share. We had the hummingbird live, and we could see them hanging down in the 20ft range. I dropped a jigging spoon down to them, but they just looked at it and really didn't want it. BTW, we were out in 40ft of water. Hope this helps. Wind was light, and no cloud cover so that might have helped in the schooling activity.

Take care all.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 04/15/22 01:11 PM.
Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14345857 04/17/22 04:33 PM
K
KidKrappie Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
K
Caught some shad spawn fish this morning on a wind blown point. Got a late start or it would have been better. Not to mention the front that blew through. The sandies I caught were fat and full of eggs. Not sure if they will go up the creek to spawn or spawn main lake. They may have just been fat from feeding on the shad as well.

Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14346100 04/18/22 12:26 AM
TxAzSyed Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
Good to meet you out there today! Thanks for the tips. I did catch a few today.

Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14346187 04/18/22 03:03 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Fished the dam when the sun came up, chasing the green fish. Caught about 6 chunk sandies instead of the green fish. Shad spawn is "On like Donkey Kong".

Looked for fish and birds but nothing found. Supposed to be clear tomorrow, maybe I'll get lucky. East Main point off Meadomere park is jam packed with shad. Didn't go up into the swim areas of Meadomere but i bet it's saturated. If you want to find fish, follow the bait.

Still chasing the green ghost, that's all the info i have.

Take care all...

Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14347237 04/19/22 01:36 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Fished for the green fish yesterday, between stops i did some searching on the lower end. Lots of bait down in the lower deeper part of the lake. Massive bait schools playing security by numbers in the 5-15 ft range. Birds seen sitting on the water in various areas. The areas I saw birds sitting all were on the areas with concentrations of bait. No sandies seen, looked around several areas with livescope and simply amazing. We really were lucky last year when the lake went up and covered all the small brush. When it flooded, all the brush allowed us a tremendous shad spawn that loaded up the lake. Yesterday's cooler weather dropped the water temp about 2-3 degrees on the surface and i did not see any shad spawn along the banks i fished. I did a little scouting by the island, and caught some 6" sandies off the bottom in @ 15-18ft of water. Didn't find any fish, and didn't see any other fisherman out in the lake that appeared to be fishing for sandbass. Water is still lightly stained in the creeks, and some mud lines seen from the north wind. Bass fishing for me was really good, but very draining. Fished from 4:40am- 6pm with one break where i went looking for sandies. Im recovering today, and need to do some chores. Btw, I upgraded my trolling motor, and electronics batteries. Two flooded group 29 walmart , and two 55ah AGM which i used for electronics. Swapped to two 100ah lithium batteries for the TM, and one 100ah for electronics. I went with the eg4 100ah lithium. At the end of the day the lithium for the TM were on 71%, and electronics were at 69%. Truly amazing, I can run two to three trips between charging. Batteries are 550 each, and i know its high but I play hard and fish allot. If you are on the fence and thinking about lithium, it is worth it if you fish 3-4 days a week. If you fish 3-4 days a month probably not. David at "shut up and fish" in lewisville has the batteries. He is good people, and i have purchased a TM, mega 360, livescope, and batteries from him. Cash is king..

Thinking of hitting the creek today, but i have to get some rat killing done first.

Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14348341 04/20/22 06:10 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Prosise thanks for sharing all this great info and posting this thread for folks to share info on fishing the Vine! Its really enjoyable to read and helpful info.

I will share as soon as I start fishing Grapevine again. I kayak fish for bass but also sandies if they come along! Sometimes I will run a couple jugs for some catfish. *I am not one of those guys that throws them out and leaves them to litter the lake or kill fish wantonly...If I am jug fishing I can see my jugs the whole time and take them when I leave an area. Anything over 8lbs is released. The rest well... blue cat make a fine dinner! food

Anyways great thread! I look forward to reading it throughout the year and contributing when I can! cheers

Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #14348487 04/20/22 08:38 PM
J
JWC Nauticstar Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Thanks for your comment. There are quite a few really helpful fishermen on GV. When it comes to sandies I try to wave in anyone that is interested in catching them. I have had an interesting spring and I have not been out in weeks. I try to contribute when I can. The wind has kept me off on the days I had a chance to go. So today I have nothing to offer but thanks for the update "Prosise".

Last edited by JWC Nauticstar; 04/20/22 08:39 PM.
Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14354412 04/28/22 02:26 AM
S
SwampHunter Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Any one been out this week? Thinking of trying it this weekend , been chasing catfish the last month or so

Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: SwampHunter] #14354827 04/28/22 02:47 PM
J
JWC Nauticstar Offline
Angler
Angler
J
I was out last evening from 5 till 7:30. Lake doesn't seem to be too muddy from all the rain now. I searched from Rock Crusher area to Scotts marina (had to get some fries). Not one fish was caught. Windy cloudy evening and no birds to speak of. I did not mark many fish except out on a far west hump close to rock crusher. Still no takers.

Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14355081 04/28/22 06:40 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
I saw scattered birds on Tuesday, around 230pm. Some diving around the mouth of Scotts Landing marina. Livescoped the area and followed the birds for about 15 minutes. There were only 6-10 fish chasing shad, and a few scattered ones roaming. No concentrations of fish seen, at all. I fished the dam all day, and caught some sandbass on a crackbait on the north east corner right on the rocks. But I was chasing Bass, and got two smallies. Was a real treat. Have not been up the lake in a week, and haven't been near the creek. But in the next month when it really gets nice, the beach area is something to check every now and then. Lake came up a foot at least, and there is small brush in the water so this should help the shad spawn. Friend of mine caught some sandies at the very end of meadomere, but they were cruising looking for bait shallow. Find bait, and fish will be near. Bait is everywhere, so finding the fish makes it even harder. Saw a guide boat out on Tuesday, but he was moving allot so it's tough.

Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14355738 04/29/22 01:42 PM
K
KidKrappie Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
K
I was out last week and sandies were scattered. Crappie are spawning full blast

Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14360048 05/04/22 09:09 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Sorry for the late response.. Fished twice this week, and some input to share.

Sunday: I totally forgot how much I dislike fishing on Sunday. The Wake boats were out, and really makes it difficult to fish with so many "Village Idiots".. I launched at Katy Woods ramp, which is a nice area to go out from. When the wind is not blowing into the area, its a good grade so you don't have to back so far down into the water. I launched at started fishing right at the ramp for bass, the smallmouth are eating a worm. I ventured out to the dam, and battled the Wake boats running a 6-8 foot diving crankbait down the rocks. I picked up crappie, and med size sandies from the middle of the dam all the way to the north east corner. I kept my boat really close to the rocks so I could cast parallel to the rocks. The crappie are up in the 4ft range, and they were concentrated about 100 yards north of the tower. Look for any dead brush on the bank, you are close when you see the brush. The sandies were random but would typically hit it really close to the rocks (Bumping the rocks). If you do not have a lure retriever, make one. I have an old pool cleaning pole, which has saved me thousands in the last 3 years.. I used it to grab lures hung up in the rocks, that were lost by other people. About 4pm I eased over to Rock Ledge park and found that this area was saturated with small sandies. The whole point was stacked with small fish, just sitting in schools completely surrounding the point. If you do not know what Rock Ledge looks like, you need to learn this area. It is a hump that extends way out into the lake, maybe 100 yards. It is about 10ft at the top, and has deep water on all sides. I caught probably 150+ easily, and about 10 of these were just over keeper length. Was fun, but the fish were small. A boat came in, and was trying to drift the area and fish them but he was not doing well. I waved him over and tied him up to the back of my boat, so the spot lock would hold them. They were using smaller size spoons, and caught allot of fish. The two younger kids were all smiles. It died around 7:30ish and never recovered. I was using a shallow diving crankbait which was a whole lot more fun to fish, and the fish were hitting a bait moving above them better than working the bottom with a spoon. I have some video, and will try and put together a clip to share.

Tuesday (5-3-22) Mid lake. Launched at Meadomere park and stayed mid lake from 10am to 4pm. Shad spawn was good, and every piece of wood, vegetation, roots, etc are covered in eggs. The Buffalo are shallow, and I think they are either spawning or trying to get in on the shad that are being pounded by fish. The windy banks are loaded with shad, and several banks I walked had dead shad up on the gravel. I threw moving baits all day, primarily the rapala DT6, and the DT8 in any shap pattern. This little crankbait casts really well, and works.. If I wasn't bumping with the DT6, I changed to the DT8. I stayed in the area that would not go deeper than 10ft , and concentrated on any type of gravel, rocks, or structure. The main points on both sides of Meadomere had good size sandbass on them. The wind was coming out of the north and you can easily see the white cranes along the bank working the shad. If you stay where the shad are you will find the sandbass. I caught some really nice sandies, and there would be cycles of 5-6 fish then a 10 minute slow period. The rocks I was targeting were primarily for bass, and when they would move in the sandbass would move out. I did see a couple of Gar out deeper crushing sandbass but they never moved into the shallows. The drum are thick, and I caught two big ones on the crankbait. They ate the bait, and i had two experiences that i thought I had a double digit bass. Yesterday was a really good day, and It was hard to leave the lake. Knowing the current status of the fishing is really going to make it hard to work 4 days. I would skip the lower end, and stay mid-lake, on the main lake points that have some type of shallow tapering depths out to the deeper water. The key to this, (In my opinion) is to have a shallow taper with a ledge at the transition to deep water. The fish are holding on structure, and pouncing on their victims. I will try and get some video of yesterday as well, but will add when I can. Stay on the windy side of the lake, period.

Short clip of Sunday. Just repeat this over for several hours, and you get the idea.. This has a wake boat driving between two fishing boats on the hump, and me tying up the other boat..

Picures of Rock Ledge. Note the hump when it was out of the water in 2014

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Some pictures from yesterday (Tuesday 5-3-22). Note: wx was overcast, which likely helped bring them up shallower. Winds were light @ 15mph.

The yellow star is where I was fishing, and the blue specs are the better fishing that I experienced.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The little crankbait that "Does"
...... I throw it on 12lb fluoro Invisx on a 7.6ft glass feeling rod.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 05/04/22 09:21 PM.
Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14360400 05/05/22 04:35 AM
J
jch123ut Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Up in the GV area for work this week and brought the boat along. This will be my first time on the lake and will likely get out there on Friday 5/6. Any recommendations on where to launch? Primarily looking to largemouths, but anything is always good. Thanks for the info, this is a great thread!

Jason

Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14360438 05/05/22 11:11 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
I like meadomere ramp, you can fish the main lake points I have in the above picture. Also, go north to twin coves, the ramp in that cove has a good hump to the left of it. Wacky rig, crankbait (shallow), and a spinnerbait is what I have been using. If you aren't having any luck, goto the dam and work the rocks with a 4ft diving crankbait running parallel to the rocks. Get as close to the rocks as you can, you will keep your bait in the strike zone for the whole retrieve.

Prosise

Jason, i shot you an instant message..

Last edited by prosise; 05/05/22 11:42 AM.
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide