Print Thread
New Fly Shop in Downtown Plano #14346130 04/18/22 01:03 AM
M
McKinneyLonghorn Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Just saw on Instagram that a fly shop opened in downtown Plano earlier this month. Dirty Water Fly Company is located at 1404 Vontress Road on the east end of downtown. Looks like they are open Wednesday-Monday (and by appointment on Tuesday). Don't know anything about the company or the shop but plan on checking them out this week. Nice to have another fly shop in Collin County.

Re: New Fly Shop in Downtown Plano [Re: McKinneyLonghorn] #14347063 04/19/22 03:35 AM
M
McKinneyLonghorn Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Went by the fly shop tonight. Dan has a very nice place in downtown Plano just around the corner from Lockhart Smokehouse. It’s a small space but there is a lot of nice tying materials crammed in there, including several brands/materials that I haven’t seen at other fly shops in Dallas: Fish Hunter marabou and Senyo’s Aqua Veil chenille to name two. As far as flies go, Dan is mainly selling patterns of his own design that he ties in house, most of which are fairly unique and not like something I’ve seen before. I fish mainly flies that I tie myself but I look forward to trying some of his. Materials and flies are largely geared toward warmwater species as can be expected. I didn’t look too closely at the rods and reels since I’m not really in the market for those right now but I know he carries Winston rods and Galvan reels as well as a couple other reel brands. Overall it’s a really nice little shop that I am glad to have in Plano.

Re: New Fly Shop in Downtown Plano [Re: McKinneyLonghorn] #14347691 04/19/22 10:07 PM
J
Jram31 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
What other fly shops are in Collin County? I am looking for others as well!

Re: New Fly Shop in Downtown Plano [Re: McKinneyLonghorn] #14348869 04/21/22 12:19 PM
T
texasflycaster Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Nice. We always wish a new shop had something else we want, don't we? My wish - quality / variety kip and buck tails. Still an impressive inventory of fly tying materials.

Re: New Fly Shop in Downtown Plano [Re: Jram31] #14349916 04/22/22 04:56 PM
F
Floon Swenson Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted by Jram31
What other fly shops are in Collin County? I am looking for others as well!

Specifically Collin County? I'm thinking the Orvis store at Park and Preston would be the only other actual fly shop/women's clothing boutique, at least that I'm aware of (besides the super big box type stuff).

Re: New Fly Shop in Downtown Plano [Re: McKinneyLonghorn] #14351416 04/24/22 07:44 PM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
I stopped by yesterday after tying with the Roadkill Roundtable. It's a nice fly shop.

First thing I saw after stepping through the door was the owner, Dan, sitting there tying flies.

OK, that's a good first impression. Every fly shop has its own personality and this one is a fly tying shop, it is not a clothing store. I ended up sitting down and talking to Dan about his material choices, fly designs, and fishing. He is definitely an experience fly tyer, fly designer, and fly fisher. We walked over and looked at the flies he has for sale. For the most part, these are not patterns that you will find in a big box store. Most of them are custom-style fly patterns and most important, they look like they are designed to catch fish. I will definitely be tying up some similar patterns and fishing them.

Sounds like Dan ties mostly warm water and saltwater style fly patterns. So, he has stocked his shop primarily with materials that he likes and uses. He has a good selection of both bucktail colors and marabou colors, and a very good selection of synthetic materials, including some materials that I had not heard of before. I picked up some new materials to try and I plan to go back next time I'm in the area to pick up a few other items that I regret not getting while I was there.

It's a new shop and not very large. So, obviously, he doesn't have everything that we'll want, but he has one of the better material selections for the area. He said that he would be happy to bring in whatever materials that someone wants. Sounds like he has a good network of supplier contacts and has access to a wider range of materials than he currently has onhand. In addition to fly tying materials, he has Winston and Redington rods, Rio lines, and leaders and tippet.

Overall, I like this shop and I think it is a good addition to the area's other fly shops. His inventory should do a good job of filling some gaps of items that are not available at the other shops in the area.

If you tie flies, I encourage you to spend some time discussing fly design with Dan. I learned a lot during my short visit.

The shop is located near downtown Plano, more or less between 13th and K. It was surprisingly easy to access from hwy 75.

Here are couple of photos of the tying materials. There is way more variety than it appears at first glance. This shop is worth a visit.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide