Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Soaking Baits on Lake Lavon [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14344782 04/15/22 11:27 PM
S
shellj22 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
your fishing technique looks perfect me, so did u have any sour grain or milo cast out to bring in the cats?

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Soaking Baits on Lake Lavon [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14345773 04/17/22 03:04 PM
S
stoneman2 Offline
Angler
Angler
S
i love soured grain , but i usually dont start using it this early, i could be wrong but it never seems to help me until water warms up a bit more

Come check out my Youtube channel , Just an old country boy and his family either fishing , hunting , camping or just boating around in a allweld grizzly with a surface drive pushing it to explore the backwaters most people do not venture ...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1RhsBeR3BcSwLx72hqkQkw/featured
Re: Soaking Baits on Lake Lavon [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14345775 04/17/22 03:05 PM
S
stoneman2 Offline
Angler
Angler
S
but i would love to hear some insite in the subject from " the experts "

Come check out my Youtube channel , Just an old country boy and his family either fishing , hunting , camping or just boating around in a allweld grizzly with a surface drive pushing it to explore the backwaters most people do not venture ...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1RhsBeR3BcSwLx72hqkQkw/featured
Re: Soaking Baits on Lake Lavon [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14345846 04/17/22 04:18 PM
K
KEGracing Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
Not an expert for sure, but catching a few.

I found them in 1-3' of water yesterday. Temp was about 68 up in the shallows. Followed a creek channel up as far as I could go, then anchored up and cast out, and into the shallower water.

I was using fresh shad and buffalo for bait. Put 19 Blue Cats in the boat in less than 4 hours, with my 80 year old Dad and 15 yr old son.

Using the soured grain and or cattle range cubes works well to bait a hole, but I have had much better luck with channels in baited hole vs. blue cats. Look for the wind blown points and shallow water. Creek feeding into a shallow flat is good after a rain.

Good luck all.

Ken

2014 Premier Alante 235 RF tritoon. Momma's boat. But I get to fish on her.

A country boy will survive... but those who cross him?

Cedar Creek personal best:
Blue Cat 31.55 lbs
Hybrid 6.2 lbs
Crappie 2.1 lbs
Re: Soaking Baits on Lake Lavon [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14345997 04/17/22 10:19 PM
Bluecat Bob Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
I have no clue what that grain stuff is, so no, I didn’t use it - lol!

To be honest I thought I was in a good spot, saw some fish splashing (no shad), but an easterly wind and my bait wasn’t fresh that day.

Retired from the grind and enjoying life and the great outdoors ### Formerly Texas Brit ###
Re: Soaking Baits on Lake Lavon [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14346044 04/17/22 11:15 PM
K
KEGracing Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
Bob,

FRESH BAIT... FRESH BAIT... FRESH BAIT

One of the first hard lessons in this Blue Cat game I had to learn a few years ago. And yes, I learned the hard way - wasted trips! LOL

Good luck my friend!

Ken

Blue Cat 31.55 lbs
Hybrid 6.2 lbs
Crappie 2.1 lbs
Re: Soaking Baits on Lake Lavon [Re: stoneman2] #14346066 04/17/22 11:47 PM
T
taterpop Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by stoneman2
but i would love to hear some insite in the subject from " the experts "

I'm sure not an expert on anything except finding stumps when running my motor. But I do like to through Sour grain. My thoughts are,if you can catch Channel and Blue cat on your favorite punch or dip bait then chum will help you in cooler weather if smell sent is what they go by.I have noticed that I don't have as many small fish to mess with in March and April. But the chum does seem to work faster in water temps above 65 .

Re: Soaking Baits on Lake Lavon [Re: KEGracing] #14346124 04/18/22 12:55 AM
Bluecat Bob Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by KEGracing
Bob,

FRESH BAIT... FRESH BAIT... FRESH BAIT

One of the first hard lessons in this Blue Cat game I had to learn a few years ago. And yes, I learned the hard way - wasted trips! LOL

Good luck my friend!

Ken

Yes Sir!

I think you and Tim are ganging up on me btw.

Couple of meanies!!

de

My 5 foot net isn't helping. A 7ft heavy 3/8 net id on order (dont tell my wife).

Retired from the grind and enjoying life and the great outdoors ### Formerly Texas Brit ###
Re: Soaking Baits on Lake Lavon [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14346134 04/18/22 01:08 AM
K
KEGracing Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
Tough Love Brother!

Blue Cat 31.55 lbs
Hybrid 6.2 lbs
Crappie 2.1 lbs
Re: Soaking Baits on Lake Lavon [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14346254 04/18/22 10:18 AM
Catfish Tim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Bluecat Bob
Originally Posted by Catfish Tim

I've had the thought several times while tying up that I won't be able to do this when I get my new boat. I spent hours this week cleaning on her and she still looks like poo compared to yours. She's like me fishes hard but ain't much to look at! roflmao

I was thinking about you yesterday, Tim.

(short video)
https://maddbrit.smugmug.com/Family/Retirement-in-Allen/i-M22GCJQ/A

soap

BCB, that video is exactly how my boat got to look like it does. A lot of that. Winter fishing is easier on the boat since she;ll be in deep water all the time. I may have to just fish with someone else in the spring lol...

Catfish Tim
ðŸŸðŸŸ"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"ðŸŸðŸŸ
Romans 8:1

Re: Soaking Baits on Lake Lavon [Re: skeetmaster] #14346255 04/18/22 10:20 AM
Catfish Tim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by skeetmaster
Originally Posted by Catfish Tim
Okay BCB... First, there and millions if not billions of shad in that lake. The sun was out and the water temp when I was out there yesterday afternoon was in the low seventies. Translation: you didn't look hard enough. With the bait being that shallow, your electronics are not going to tell you anything. Look up, you can see them on the surface. But if you are worried about getting too shallow, you probably didn't see them. Also, if you are worried about getting too shallow and getting a scratch on the boat, you are putting yourself at a decided disadvantage. Your boat is a tool, use it. There is a reason your boat looks like it does and mine looks like it does...

This time of year with water temps up in the sixties and seventies, if you don't get bit in fifteen minutes you probably won't get bit at all. I would not stick in a spot longer than thirty minutes. My guess is you were fishing too deep, too deep to be anchored anyway. If you could have drifted, I would have looked in fifteen to twenty five feet to drift or right up on the shore in three feet or less to anchor. You don't have to get your boat that shallow as long as you can cast to areas that shallow.

I can just about guarantee if you had fresh bait and would have been in three feet of water up against a wind blown shore, you would have caught fish...

You have much to learn my young Padawan...

Oh Tim, i know you've been on the road a bunch and busier than a one armed paper hanger but I'm so glad to see you chiming in here again. Bob and i have needed your catfish wisdom! He and i are like those little rubber duckies just floating around, bumping into stuff and occasionally lucking into a small tug on the line!

Geno, I'm still here! And yes work is getting crazy busy but I need the paycheck to support my fishing addiction! I'll be on the road again most of the first half of May so I will likely be kinda scarce on the forum but I'll be back when I get home...

Catfish Tim
ðŸŸðŸŸ"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"ðŸŸðŸŸ
Romans 8:1

Re: Soaking Baits on Lake Lavon [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14346604 04/18/22 05:25 PM
L
lou_a Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
RE: Soaking Baits On Lavon.

Hope this does not seem a rant as it's not meant to be.

I too like to soak baits on Lavon, albeit from the bank. I have bank-fished Lavon for many years.

Have had some health challenges of late and not been out much, but was able to catch bait Friday, and get out on the bank with one of my sons to fish Sat 16 Apr. Not a bad day, as it was cool & very pleasant out, and a few cats were biting.

If you see me out there, I'm an old fella/61, but I can still toss my rigs way out there with my 12 ft surf rods & 8oz weights. I will wade out a bit before I toss, so my lines will be 100 to 200 yards out. I try to wear some loud colors (and on top of that always have yellow gloves on), and will stand up and move around IF I see a boater approach
, so they know I am there and can choose to avoid my lines.
Had 2 separate incidents Sat where boaters got a little to close where I was set up and got tangled in some of my lines (broke off 2, and other somehow came clear).
If you see an ugly old fart with bright clothes and yellow gloves on the Lavon bank, please calculate where you think is a safe passing distance, and then add on 25+ yards just to be sure. I don't mind losing some sinker & hooks (goes with the territory) now & again, but don't want my reel drags burned up, nor want my braided line to find it's way into your propeller seals and cause you an issue.
And to any bank fisherman on here, please do not make stupid comments about tossing lead at anyone.

BR,
Lou A
[Linked Image]

Last edited by lou_a; 04/18/22 05:27 PM.
Re: Soaking Baits on Lake Lavon [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14346775 04/18/22 08:22 PM
Bluecat Bob Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
^ it really sucks when boats come too close, Lou. It happens when you are out boat fishing as well. A wide open lake, and some folks want to whizz past you real close at 50mph on their way somewhere. Drives me nuts!

I get out to Lavon a fair bit. I will wave to you if I see some guy sporting bright colors on the bank.

I wear exactly the same sunglasses, so we match - haha!!!!

cheers

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide