Print Thread
Hobie ProAngler 12 Observations #14345552 04/17/22 04:40 AM
P
PowerLizard Online Content OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Content
TFF Team Angler
P
I have listed some observations from owning 2 Hobie ProAngler 12โ€™s. I bought a used one years ago, had some medical issues, sold it, regretted the sale and bought another used one. I took it out to Lake Grapevine again on Good Friday in 20 - 30 mph winds and again the following Saturday.
1. This kayak is heavy. It gets heavier if you have gear and batteries in the front hatch. I donโ€™t carry tackle boxes or ice chests in the stern so it is bow heavy. I found that if you use the Hobie cart in the holes underneath the seat instead the holes behind the seat, the kayak almost balances and can be pulled from the stern. It makes a big difference if you are pulling the kayak longer distances.
2. The Hobie Heavy Duty Cart is just that - Heavy Duty. I pulled the kayak over broken up asphalt, over large rocks and through sand. If I had bought the skinny wheeled standard cart, the wheels would have gotten stuck in the broken up asphalt and sunk in the loose wet sand.
3. The kayak does well in big waves. On Friday I peddled in serious white caps which came over the bow at least 20 times. When I got home, the front hatch was still dry and there were only a few drops of water inside the hull which evaporated in the garage when I left the hatches open.
4. I would be hesitant to take the kayak out in the surf as the 4 rod holder tubes in the bow could fill with ocean water in the surf and flood the main interior kayak compartment. If you were to take it out in the surf, I would find something to plug the bow rod holder tubes.

Re: Hobie ProAngler 12 Observations [Re: PowerLizard] #14345739 04/17/22 02:12 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I think weight is probably the main reason folks sell their Pro Anglers. I spent a lot of hours in a PA 14. Once it's in the water they're nice to fish out of unless it's shallow water fishing where the peddles can't be used. I was never a fan of the seat. The gap in the seat between the bottom and the back portion allowed my butt to sink in and cause pressure on my back. A good seat pad can help with that though. The amount of room they have is awesome.

A Pro Angler can be taken offshore. I had my 14 five miles offshore but I did a lot to help make it more watertight. As mentioned the rod tubes will leak. I pulled mine out and epoxied around the joints at the end of the tubes then added some Goop around the flange where the rod tubes screws to the front cockpit wall of the kayak. I also added an additional hatch seal kit and even added a gasket under my front hatch bin. They're still a pretty leaky kayak in big water but the steps mentioned will help a lot.

You get out of it what you put into it!
Re: Hobie ProAngler 12 Observations [Re: PowerLizard] #14346384 04/18/22 01:46 PM
C
christian myrick Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
C
It's a great boat that was never designed for rowdy surf. All kayaks leak at some point. Most who go offshore in the salt prefer the outback. I personally have seen one of the old outbacks perform in 20-30 ft rollers in 2017. If I got a pedal yak the outback is it.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide