Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Soaking Baits on Lake Lavon #14344155 04/15/22 02:57 AM
Bluecat Bob Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
The first day for EONS that the wind has been less than hurricane force (ok, I exaggerate a bit), but I have been getting antsy missing time on my boat.

So today was the one day we were supposed to get a break, so off to Lake Lavon.

It was looking like a beautiful day, with a forecast high of 75F and 10-15mph winds. This morning started at 46F, a bit chilly but hey ho it would soon warm up.

Air temp: started at 46F ended at 74F
Water temp: 63F
Wind: NE 15mph gusting 20.
The barometer had increased significantly from yesterday.

[Linked Image]

I headed out from the boat ramp to get bait, but no bueno in the Marina and at the usual spots. I didn't spot any bait, not even any bunches of smaller threadfin shad. I had reserve bait, so after an hour decided to just go with that.

Today I would fish the shallower waters in the creeks. I tied off to a couple of trees in 4-6 feet of water, and scattered 6 baits in all directions around the timbers.

[Linked Image]

Sheltered from the wind, it just seemed so perfect. It was so good to be still and just basking in the sun, wearing just a T and shorts. Time to break out my pipe.

[Linked Image]

Bliss!

I got to use my new MulTbar rod rests. Man these things are nice.

[Linked Image]

Just a couple of dink bumps but no decent bites, so I decided to move to a different and bigger creek, now in 12-15 feet of water.

[Linked Image]

It started out ok, but the wind got up and quickly became uncomfortable. My outboard and boat were getting bashed pretty bad.

[Linked Image]

I had around 4 hours of fishing, and no joy so decided to call it a day. The ride back was interesting, and I got pretty wet crashing through the waves. So nice to be on the water in warm temperatures though without having to wear all the heavy winter gear.

No fish but still a nice trip out.

Thoughts and questions:
In shallow creeks my small fish finder is useless. The 'cone' you see is so small as to make it ineffective. A side scan would be so much better.
How long to stay and wait for the bite? I was thinking at least an hour?
Should I have gone even shallower? Lots of riff riff and tree stumps so I chickened out.

Last edited by Bluecat Bob; 04/15/22 03:22 AM.

Retired from the grind and enjoying life and the great outdoors ### Formerly Texas Brit ###
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Soaking Baits on Lake Lavon [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14344156 04/15/22 03:01 AM
Bluecat Bob Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Short version.

I fished Lavon today and got skunked (again)

Reason? No Catfish Tim to guide me! violin

Hah!

hammer

Last edited by Bluecat Bob; 04/15/22 03:09 AM.

Retired from the grind and enjoying life and the great outdoors ### Formerly Texas Brit ###
Re: Soaking Baits on Lake Lavon [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14344164 04/15/22 03:14 AM
J
J Lowe Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
I’d edit that cooler shot.

Re: Soaking Baits on Lake Lavon [Re: J Lowe] #14344167 04/15/22 03:20 AM
Bluecat Bob Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by J Lowe
I’d edit that cooler shot.

Done and thanks. A better improved shot now inserted.

bolt

Re: Soaking Baits on Lake Lavon [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14344180 04/15/22 03:46 AM
J
J Lowe Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Looks great!
As far as how shallow, you can’t get too shallow. If you’re fishing a cove, start at the very back and work your way out.

Re: Soaking Baits on Lake Lavon [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14344228 04/15/22 10:09 AM
S
skeetmaster Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Bob, you definitely need side scan. It helps in really shallow water. It doesn't help on your budget though. Especially after you got those beautiful rod holders! Man, I'm so jealous! Great post and I would've traded your day for mine even knowing that I wasn't going to catch anything!!

Re: Soaking Baits on Lake Lavon [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14344400 04/15/22 01:40 PM
Catfish Tim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Okay BCB... First, there and millions if not billions of shad in that lake. The sun was out and the water temp when I was out there yesterday afternoon was in the low seventies. Translation: you didn't look hard enough. With the bait being that shallow, your electronics are not going to tell you anything. Look up, you can see them on the surface. But if you are worried about getting too shallow, you probably didn't see them. Also, if you are worried about getting too shallow and getting a scratch on the boat, you are putting yourself at a decided disadvantage. Your boat is a tool, use it. There is a reason your boat looks like it does and mine looks like it does...

This time of year with water temps up in the sixties and seventies, if you don't get bit in fifteen minutes you probably won't get bit at all. I would not stick in a spot longer than thirty minutes. My guess is you were fishing too deep, too deep to be anchored anyway. If you could have drifted, I would have looked in fifteen to twenty five feet to drift or right up on the shore in three feet or less to anchor. You don't have to get your boat that shallow as long as you can cast to areas that shallow.

I can just about guarantee if you had fresh bait and would have been in three feet of water up against a wind blown shore, you would have caught fish...

You have much to learn my young Padawan...

Catfish Tim
🐟🐟"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"🐟🐟
Romans 8:1

Re: Soaking Baits on Lake Lavon [Re: Catfish Tim] #14344480 04/15/22 03:09 PM
Bluecat Bob Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Thanks Tim, and yes much to learn.

I knew I should have tried harder for bait, but I wanted a relaxing day. Mission accomplished on that, but that came at a price. I was watching for shad activity and birds, but didn’t see any. Waiting just 15 minutes for a bite will be new for me for sure, as normally I wait at least 30 in one spot.

Tying the boat up took me some time as well. Partly as I don’t want to scratch my boat, but also as it’s fairly new to me.

Re: Soaking Baits on Lake Lavon [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14344491 04/15/22 03:18 PM
S
SwampHunter Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Hey bob do you ever try grapevine ? I’m thinking of heading out tomorrow afternoon
Headed to shallow water , some stumps not a lot and hopefully catch a few , going to try for a few flat heads too

Re: Soaking Baits on Lake Lavon [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14344505 04/15/22 03:35 PM
Catfish Tim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Bluecat Bob
Thanks Tim, and yes much to learn.

I knew I should have tried harder for bait, but I wanted a relaxing day. Mission accomplished on that, but that came at a price. I was watching for shad activity and birds, but didn’t see any. Waiting just 15 minutes for a bite will be new for me for sure, as normally I wait at least 30 in one spot.

Tying the boat up took me some time as well. Partly as I don’t want to scratch my boat, but also as it’s fairly new to me.

I've had the thought several times while tying up that I won't be able to do this when I get my new boat. I spent hours this week cleaning on her and she still looks like poo compared to yours. She's like me fishes hard but ain't much to look at! roflmao

Catfish Tim
🐟🐟"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"🐟🐟
Romans 8:1

Re: Soaking Baits on Lake Lavon [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14344548 04/15/22 04:37 PM
S
stoneman2 Offline
Angler
Angler
S
nice day to get some sun even if the wind did pick up

Come check out my Youtube channel , Just an old country boy and his family either fishing , hunting , camping or just boating around in a allweld grizzly with a surface drive pushing it to explore the backwaters most people do not venture ...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1RhsBeR3BcSwLx72hqkQkw/featured
Re: Soaking Baits on Lake Lavon [Re: skeetmaster] #14344584 04/15/22 05:39 PM
Bluecat Bob Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by skeetmaster
Bob, you definitely need side scan. It helps in really shallow water. It doesn't help on your budget though. Especially after you got those beautiful rod holders! Man, I'm so jealous! Great post and I would've traded your day for mine even knowing that I wasn't going to catch anything!!

Sidescan, Livescan, more gear…. I need a sugar Mommy!

bannana2

Re: Soaking Baits on Lake Lavon [Re: SwampHunter] #14344585 04/15/22 05:41 PM
Bluecat Bob Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by SwampHunter
Hey bob do you ever try grapevine ? I’m thinking of heading out tomorrow afternoon
Headed to shallow water , some stumps not a lot and hopefully catch a few , going to try for a few flat heads too

Hey there!

Thanks, and remember you mentioning that at the get together. I would love to join you. I’m away the next couple of weeks but will ping you when I get back.

Re: Soaking Baits on Lake Lavon [Re: Catfish Tim] #14344590 04/15/22 05:50 PM
Bluecat Bob Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by Catfish Tim

I've had the thought several times while tying up that I won't be able to do this when I get my new boat. I spent hours this week cleaning on her and she still looks like poo compared to yours. She's like me fishes hard but ain't much to look at! roflmao

I was thinking about you yesterday, Tim.

(short video)
https://maddbrit.smugmug.com/Family/Retirement-in-Allen/i-M22GCJQ/A

soap

Last edited by Bluecat Bob; 04/15/22 05:51 PM.

Re: Soaking Baits on Lake Lavon [Re: Catfish Tim] #14344713 04/15/22 09:56 PM
S
skeetmaster Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Originally Posted by Catfish Tim
Okay BCB... First, there and millions if not billions of shad in that lake. The sun was out and the water temp when I was out there yesterday afternoon was in the low seventies. Translation: you didn't look hard enough. With the bait being that shallow, your electronics are not going to tell you anything. Look up, you can see them on the surface. But if you are worried about getting too shallow, you probably didn't see them. Also, if you are worried about getting too shallow and getting a scratch on the boat, you are putting yourself at a decided disadvantage. Your boat is a tool, use it. There is a reason your boat looks like it does and mine looks like it does...

This time of year with water temps up in the sixties and seventies, if you don't get bit in fifteen minutes you probably won't get bit at all. I would not stick in a spot longer than thirty minutes. My guess is you were fishing too deep, too deep to be anchored anyway. If you could have drifted, I would have looked in fifteen to twenty five feet to drift or right up on the shore in three feet or less to anchor. You don't have to get your boat that shallow as long as you can cast to areas that shallow.

I can just about guarantee if you had fresh bait and would have been in three feet of water up against a wind blown shore, you would have caught fish...

You have much to learn my young Padawan...

Oh Tim, i know you've been on the road a bunch and busier than a one armed paper hanger but I'm so glad to see you chiming in here again. Bob and i have needed your catfish wisdom! He and i are like those little rubber duckies just floating around, bumping into stuff and occasionally lucking into a small tug on the line!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide