Page 1 of 2 1 2
Cedar creek lake #14329834 03/30/22 02:11 AM
H
harperbird Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
Was looking to go fish cedar creek and fish either kings creek or Lacey creek on monday and tuesday. Are the crappie up in there right now. Any info would be greatley apreciated. Also wouldnt mind snagging into some white bass if they are there.

Re: Cedar creek lake [Re: harperbird] #14330181 03/30/22 02:43 PM
S
sticknstring Offline
Angler
Angler
S
people were lined up on the banks off the feeder creeks when I drove through there 2 weeks ago. I could see the bobbers in the water and minnow buckets-doubt they were fishing for whites. I would think it's on! I'll be watching for your pictures .

Last edited by sticknstring; 03/30/22 02:48 PM.
Re: Cedar creek lake [Re: harperbird] #14333406 04/03/22 02:08 PM
David Welcher Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Fished there yesterday, fish are shallow staging close to spawning areas. They are full of eggs and are fixin to Spawn with this next full moon. Water temps were 62 to 64. Kind of a late spawn for cedar creek.[Linked Image]

Last edited by David Welcher; 04/03/22 02:09 PM.
Re: Cedar creek lake [Re: harperbird] #14333409 04/03/22 02:11 PM
David Welcher Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
White bass need some rain to get up into the creeks

Re: Cedar creek lake [Re: harperbird] #14333628 04/03/22 08:54 PM
D
deucer02 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Quite a few fishing the bank on HWY 175 and the King's Creek bridge on 274 week. Both places great for the crappie spawn.

Biden famously said in the New York Observer, “I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that’s a storybook, man.”
Re: Cedar creek lake [Re: sticknstring] #14338547 04/08/22 07:58 PM
S
Sumfish Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Were there cars parked on the side of the highway? Heard cars were being ticketed for parking there on 175.

?t=1342397301
Re: Cedar creek lake [Re: harperbird] #14338981 04/09/22 01:04 PM
R
Ron Douthit Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I don't fish creeks, mainly because I have a boat docked on CC and it's just simpler to fish the main lake. I've been out 4 times in the last 10 days and the most productive spots have been pre-spawn spots for crappie on points in 20 FOW. The bigger fish that I've caught still have eggs (or appear to, I don't keep them this time of year). From what I hear, it's a later than usual spawn. The water temperature has really only just recently settled in the 60s. Earlier this week I scanned the back of a good spawning cove and only found a few crappie in the middle in shallow water but maybe the creeks are loaded, can't really comment on that.

I know everyone talks about how good fishing is in the spring but Jan - March is my least favorite time to fish. I guess that is a good sign for people that love to creek fish. Personally, I can't wait for all the fish to return to the main lake. From late April through July I can go out and catch limits of either crappie or sandbass fairly easily just scanning humps (for sandies/hybrids) and brush piles for crappie. Right now I can go out and catch 15 in a couple hours on pre/post spawn spots but half of them are dinks.

Re: Cedar creek lake [Re: Ron Douthit] #14339063 04/09/22 02:48 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by Ron Douthit
I don't fish creeks, mainly because I have a boat docked on CC and it's just simpler to fish the main lake. I've been out 4 times in the last 10 days and the most productive spots have been pre-spawn spots for crappie on points in 20 FOW. The bigger fish that I've caught still have eggs (or appear to, I don't keep them this time of year). From what I hear, it's a later than usual spawn. The water temperature has really only just recently settled in the 60s. Earlier this week I scanned the back of a good spawning cove and only found a few crappie in the middle in shallow water but maybe the creeks are loaded, can't really comment on that.

I know everyone talks about how good fishing is in the spring but Jan - March is my least favorite time to fish. I guess that is a good sign for people that love to creek fish. Personally, I can't wait for all the fish to return to the main lake. From late April through July I can go out and catch limits of either crappie or sandbass fairly easily just scanning humps (for sandies/hybrids) and brush piles for crappie. Right now I can go out and catch 15 in a couple hours on pre/post spawn spots but half of them are dinks.

nothing under the docks yet Ron?

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Cedar creek lake [Re: David Welcher] #14339078 04/09/22 03:19 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by David Welcher
Fished there yesterday, fish are shallow staging close to spawning areas. They are full of eggs and are fixin to Spawn with this next full moon. Water temps were 62 to 64. Kind of a late spawn for cedar creek.[Linked Image]

how do they know which full moon to spawn on? and how do they hold the eggs in until the correct full moon event occurs?
after that how do they know if the moon will be exposed and bright or obscured by heavy upper atmosphere cloud cover?
does the gravitational pull from the moon assist in the eggs coming out? are they using the moonlight for navigation ?
I have heard this full moon spawn event theory for decades, but nobody has ever explained the science behind it.
I would love to hear your reasoning for belief in this ? thanks

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Cedar creek lake [Re: leanin post] #14339191 04/09/22 05:54 PM
R
Ron Douthit Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted by leanin post
nothing under the docks yet Ron?

Not the ones I checked, at least not bunched up enough to get me to spend time on them.

I went out for a quick 1 hour trip at 11am this morning and found the best fish in 15 FOW instead of 20 FOW . Caught 11 in just over an hour, only 1 was a dink. This 14.5" 1.89 lber didn't appear to have eggs. Will probably head back out this afternoon and check some other spots after I get my ribs on the smoker.

[Linked Image]

Re: Cedar creek lake [Re: leanin post] #14339546 04/10/22 03:25 AM
F
Fishbonz Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted by leanin post
Originally Posted by David Welcher

how do they know which full moon to spawn on? and how do they hold the eggs in until the correct full moon event occurs?
after that how do they know if the moon will be exposed and bright or obscured by heavy upper atmosphere cloud cover?
does the gravitational pull from the moon assist in the eggs coming out? are they using the moonlight for navigation ?
I have heard this full moon spawn event theory for decades, but nobody has ever explained the science behind it.
I would love to hear your reasoning for belief in this ? thanks

popcorn popcorn2

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: Cedar creek lake [Re: harperbird] #14339615 04/10/22 12:06 PM
R
Ron Douthit Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Here's a scientific explanation of how a full moon triggers spawning in some fish. Not crappie specific but does explain the mechanisms in some species:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/278727297_Lunar_Clock_in_Fish_Reproduction

For fish to reproduce they have to key in on some environmental triggers for synchronizing male and female responsibilities.

Re: Cedar creek lake [Re: harperbird] #14339939 04/10/22 07:19 PM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Thanks Ron. A lot there for simple minds to comprehend.

Here's another article about moon phase and the spawn.
https://www.gameandfishmag.com/editorial/fishing_crappies-panfish-fishing_gf_aa056603a/245336

I believe bream, bass, crappie are all sunfish species and have many of the same traits like spawning.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: Cedar creek lake [Re: harperbird] #14340177 04/11/22 01:05 AM
David Welcher Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
When I was a teenager back in the 70s my dad would take me crappie fishing from late March thru Easter weekend and we would catch em, up untill Easter weekend. We would go after that but it was non roductive as they would be spawned out and we're not biting as good. We didn't have water temp gauges, as he said its time, some times it would be over early April, sometimes late April, I remember on several occasions after Easter it was over. Easter can fall as early on March 31st or late like it is this year. It falls on the third full moon of the year, The further east and south you go the warmer the water temps are, so it seems they spawn earlier that way. Three years ago we hit fork and got on them one week. The next week they were gone. It's probably all about water temp, but if you live eat and breath by the full moon the way my grand parents did it worked. Another full moon story I hold on to is. Catfish don't bite around the full moon. I've been skunked or had terrible fishing days for catfish around the full moon.

Re: Cedar creek lake [Re: harperbird] #14340883 04/11/22 09:59 PM
J
jig master Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Stick and move move and stick. I think 2 more weeks and the last wave of the spawn is over. Then it’s fun times for tge month of May slaying them on the docks dock shooting and shallow timber along with brush piles. Go Get Em !

Don't believe everything you hear and half of what you see . Living for the Thump !!
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide