texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
JDavis7873ฎ 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,881
Posts13,954,732
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Easy powered float tube #14336403 04/06/22 07:12 PM
P
porta Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
P
Beats having to use fins, haha! The crossbar makes it a lot easier than having to hold the weight of the unit without a bar.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xuvCWxMCWFc

YouTube shows you how to make your own, if you don't want to buy a ready-made unit.

Re: Easy powered float tube [Re: porta] #14337241 04/07/22 02:35 PM
F
Fishbonz Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
roflmao clap

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: Easy powered float tube [Re: porta] #14338401 04/08/22 05:07 PM
P
porta Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
P
I have a somewhat similar set up, here are some of my likes:
.much more speed and range than fins, and spare batteries store in pockets, no mounting or wiring, moves against some heavy winds and some river currents going Upstream.
.probably the best way to explore extended sections of shallow water down to 6 in, especially if it includes portaging or packing in, because of the low weight and very shallow draft, where are fins and other heavier boat methods may not work
. May be the easiest to Travel with and Transport anywhere and using just about any vehicle/ aircraft/ motorboat that can carry a fishing rod case and small-medium size suitcase
. Launch is just about anywhere with a shallow water approach, no need to wait for boat ramps or Docks
. Get in, out, or stop almost instantly anywhere you can stand in close to hip high water, better stability than narrow craft
. Probably the lowest cost powered boat, works with even some of the cheapest battery drills that have a high RPM function, if using a trolling motor propeller.

Here are some of my dislikes:
.Drill or batteries can fall in the water if not properly tethered or stored
. Noisy and uses a lot of spare batteries when operating at full speed, better at half speed to get longer range and decent power
. Drill will get hot at full speed and may shut down temporarily after a mile or so depending on the brand. May require a spare drill head for very long distances, to allow time for cooling
. Requires two hands to operate while under power, depending on how it is set up, and the speed
. Probably not for use in heavy rain, unless some kind of shielding can be devised
. Requires registration for use in public Waters of Texas

Re: Easy powered float tube [Re: porta] #14338587 04/08/22 08:44 PM
P
PowerLizard Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
P
It looked kind of promising until I read "Requires registration for use in public Waters of Texas."

Last edited by PowerLizard; 04/08/22 08:44 PM.
Re: Easy powered float tube [Re: porta] #14339097 04/09/22 03:49 PM
P
porta Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
P
I did my registration many years ago with a different motor setup, and it was pretty easy for me at that time, as the closest Office is only about 2 miles away. My tube did not come with a registration number, so the burden was on them to figure how to get a TX number, or let me go without one, so long as it was safe, is what they said. They had me make an appointment with one of the game wardens and asked me to bring my float tube set up, to see if a registration was required. They created a registration number for me, as they do for homemade boats, and asked me to keep the assigned registration sticker in one of the pockets of the float tube. The whole registration process took under an hour for me.

Of course, float tubes are not for everyone. My particular float tubes have been customized and perfected to fit me and my particular passions for comfort, mobility, safety, travel, accessibility to remote areas, very quick set up and go, Etc. They work better for what I like to do than any other kind of boat, or professional guide.

Hope this helps.

Re: Easy powered float tube [Re: porta] #14357284 05/01/22 06:17 PM
P
porta Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
P
Here's a way to hack the EZ power system so only one hand is required to operate. Seems a lot less fatiguing, and there would be one hand free to help with other things like a trolling Pole. But it requires figuring out a way to add a pivot to the Float Tube crossbar, for each particular situation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BTefag4JsB0&feature=emb_rel_end

Re: Easy powered float tube [Re: porta] #14409425 07/01/22 04:06 AM
P
porta Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
P
Ran across this which is another possible option, assuming they are still in business,

https://youtu.be/xVagyx6Dcko

Re: Easy powered float tube [Re: porta] #14410540 07/02/22 05:11 PM
E
Epic Offline
Angler
Angler
E
Here is the texas law. The portion pertaining to adding it the vessel should exempt a hand held device as itโ€™s not added to the vehicle. Then again Iโ€™m not a lawyer I just play one on tv.

Vessels Exempted from Titling

All U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) documented vessels (USCG documented vessels require State registration and proof of current USCG documentation)
All non-motorized canoes, kayaks, punts, rowboats, or rubber rafts (regardless of length), or other vessels under 14 feet in length when paddled, poled, oared or windblown. Adding an outboard or trolling motor to one of these vessel ty[/color]pes requires titling and registration.
A non-motorized vessel may have previously been titled as a motorboat. You can query ownership to check whether a title has been issued.

Last edited by Epic; 07/02/22 05:12 PM.
Re: Easy powered float tube [Re: porta] #14410877 07/03/22 03:49 AM
P
porta Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
P
FWIW, before I got my registration I was stopped while cruising in my e-Tube at least 8 times for a license check over several years, way back, and none of the wardens said anything about my motor, one gave me a warning about not having a PFD. The 9th time, I noticed there appeared to be a kayak following me from a distance back so I stopped to let him catch up. It was a friendly warden at Boerne Lake and we talked a little about the fish I had caught. He also said maybe I should get a TX number, because he had to push himself to catch up over that distance... So that's what I did, but that was a long time ago, not sure if they are stricter and would give a ticket out nowadays.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide