Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: what drives teen suicide [Re: 921 Phoenix] #14336286 04/06/22 05:14 PM
1oldbassguy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I can't say for sure when it comes to kids and suicide , but have to think it's a combination of many things , hopelessness , insecurity , no direction in life , feeling lost and that nobody cares .
I can say that two of my friends have committed suicide . One was the father of a boy I coached for many years in baseball ---his three boys came home to seeing their father after a 30/06 to the head . He did it because his wife caught him cheating and he felt the shame . Another was a buddy I played softball with for 10 + years , he used pills . He also felt shame because he lost all his savings in a bad investment --- he left behind a wife and 1 year old . Both of these were 15 years ago and it still bothers me to think about . I always think " what could I have done to help " .
This thread post is probably the most important I have read on TFF in 5 years . If it isn't touching you , you don't have a heart .

Re: what drives teen suicide [Re: 921 Phoenix] #14336289 04/06/22 05:18 PM
Bigbob_FTW Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
An absence of God in their lives. This is the root of it all.

[Linked Image][Linked Image] FJB
Re: what drives teen suicide [Re: Flip Flop Fisher] #14336332 04/06/22 05:46 PM
921 Phoenix Online Content OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Fisher
Originally Posted by 921 Phoenix
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Fisher
Originally Posted by 921 Phoenix
What do you think is a main factor? I know we blame it on bullies, social media and weak kids in general. I think these are just symptoms of a deeper problem. We don't bring our kids up to be strong mentally and physically so they can't be bullied. I think dad's in general don't love and teach their kids how to be strong. We no longer allow our kids to hit the bully on the nose. I think we need more inner strength for these kids and for them to know we love them and will protect them till they are grown.

What are your thoughts on why so many young kids take their own life and feel they do not want to go on with their lives? I know when I was a kid I looked forward to the next day of baseball, swimming and hanging out with my friends so we could jump obstacles with our bicycles after we did our chores. Why do our kids not look forward to tomorrow anymore?

I think the biggest lost for our young is the lost of hope for tomorrow. We use to teach either by our non christian parents and or by the bible that there is hope don't give up, try harder to win.
The bible is by far the biggest lost we have in my opinion it gives hope to the lost through Jesus. That inner strength just knowing is enough to keep going.

how many kids do you have?

2 boys

One spent 10 years in Mexico in MINSTRY
Then he become a Forman over 10-20 million homes being built he started as a finish carpenter he has a wife a kids

My oldest is a heavy haul truck driver for years. They are both strong Christians with great work ethics. Their bosses love since they are both smart young men in their thirties that can past a drug test. They are both mentally tough men.

nice job

Well I believe God did a great job
He gave me the ability to not screw it up lol good boys and men that stand against evil and bullies I couldn’t be more proud of who they became

Re: what drives teen suicide [Re: 1oldbassguy] #14336354 04/06/22 06:15 PM
Brian Spagnola Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by 1oldbassguy
Originally Posted by Brian Spagnola
I've not brought this up publicly. In December we got a call from the school of my 5th grade daughter Jenny. Her teacher had noticed she was drawing on her hands, and thought the stuff she was doing looked like she was cutting herself. Not really the case, but she goes and see's the school counselor anyways. Let me start all this by saying she's a straight a student, never gives us any trouble, social, kin, sweet, just all around great child. He counselor gets it out of her that she feels very sad, and had basically felt like the world would be better without her. She felt ashamed to tell her mother or I out of fear of disappointing us. That she wakes up and thinks she hears someone trying to get into her window etc... When my wife called me I was in shock, thought this was just something made up. So she can't come back to school till she see's someone. I call our pediatrician and they suggest taking her to Children's medical center ER right away. Get her upstairs in a room, and another case worker evaluates her. She tells them she holds her breathe at night so long to see if she could die. Among other things, that was crushing to me. She was being bullied at school, and the other girls were trying to not let other kids to want to be friends with her. Two girls specifically. Childrens recommends we take her to their in patient program. After looking this up, that was just some sort of money grab scenario with horrible reviews and testimony.

Well the school has to contact CPS which is scary in itself. I agree to let them come to the house and talk to Jenny. The lady was VERY nice and helpful. She suggests another place a little more suited to actually helping the child. They evaluate her and come up with the same results. Anxiety, depression, and suicidal thoughts. No medications were suggested, just lot's of therapy and counseling which has been a blessing. She feels so much better now, and it's open discussion at home. I was really really disappointed in the McKinney ISD's response of "this is just kids stuff" but we chose to leave them out of this. The info and access to her DR's, evaluations was silly so I denied them any access to it.

Having an 11 year old that can not be left alone for even minuets was tough for a few months. She slept on one couch, I slept on the other just so she wouldn't be alone. We bonded in a way I can't even explain. After a couple months the case managers, and therapist's told us it was ok to have butter knifes, forks, lamps or anything with longer than a phone cord in the house again. It was pretty wild when we had to take all that stuff away.

I don't know that I really have any good advice at all on any of this. I just know that if I lost my little girl I would be devastated. I'm super close with all my kids. We spend so much time together, it still burns that I had no idea. While the other girls at school wear cute little outfit, Jenny is a band t shirt and jeans type of girl. Maybe she doesn't fit in to the other two girls little click. With that being said she made some other friends at school, oddly enough it's a group of black girls. The are all super sweet, good kids. But those other little girls certainly don't EFFING mess with my little Jenny no more!

The main thing It has taught myself, is to teach my kids to be nice. You never know what someone is going through inside. It's ok to fight back if needed, but it's not cool to be a prick to someone having a tough time, or because they are different.

I love my little girl, just the way she is. I tell her every day how much I love her, and that we are in this together.

[Linked Image]

your post touched me deeply . I can not imagine your pain . I hope that you can tell your daughter that she is valued and loved ---not just by you and her family , but people all over . that she has a future so bright and full of hope , love and joy . Prayers up for her , you and your family .

Thank you, it's taken me three months to even be able to collect my thoughts to talk about it.

Re: what drives teen suicide [Re: 921 Phoenix] #14336355 04/06/22 06:15 PM
N
NateRich5797 Offline
Angler
Angler
N
Unfulfilled expectations. Happens in teens and adults.

Re: what drives teen suicide [Re: 921 Phoenix] #14336388 04/06/22 06:55 PM
D
Dogfish_Jones Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
So many things factor into why anyone would commit suicide. In my opinion the majority of those that have are people who looks at life as a constant struggle. Depression is the main factor I do believe. Depression can hit anyone no matter the wealth you have.
Suicide is fast becoming an easy out for those people. They cannot comprehend the fact that there is a tomorrow and the sun will shine no matter the circumstances. I have never contemplated suicide but have had people I knew that have done it and succeeded in doing it.
The last person I knew that committed suicide was a home builder and he was rolling in the money and had everything going his way until the ecomney turned against him in 2008. They found him behind a church parked next to their cemetery, he had shot himself.
It's sad for those people who feel like there is no other option but to kill oneself.

2020 Nitro Z20, Mercury 250xp 4 stroke
"Sometimes I have to remind myself that it is called Fishing and not catching"
Re: what drives teen suicide [Re: 921 Phoenix] #14336466 04/06/22 08:10 PM
O
outfishdya Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
O
I had a similar experience to Brian with my son. He is much younger though and we had to put a stop to our daily norm for a while. CPS sucks and is not your friend, and most health facilities can not give real answers. They just put together different costly tests and keep the cycle going as long as the money is there. I feel bad for those who have lost children to suicide and I worry about my children. Many people get all torn up about safe places and children not being tough these days. That attitude along with blaming parents for not putting a stop to their wild child.... doesn’t offer a solution and doesn’t address the issue and to parents trying to deal with their children, it is demoralizing as well.

Woke up this morning
Got yourself a gun....
Re: what drives teen suicide [Re: Bigbob_FTW] #14336468 04/06/22 08:12 PM
S
Smurfs Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW
Social media.

Re: what drives teen suicide [Re: 921 Phoenix] #14336491 04/06/22 08:40 PM
L
LoneStarSon Online Content
Private Dancer
Online Content
Private Dancer
L
Another thing to consider is one's gut health. Many studies have shown that bacteria in our gut affects our mood. Reminds me of a term I learned in high school computer class: Garbage in, garbage out. We as a society don't often make the healthiest choices. Heck, I know I've eaten an apple pie before without a care in the world. Not my best day.

Re: what drives teen suicide [Re: Bigbob_FTW] #14336493 04/06/22 08:43 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
I recently read a book called "Comfort Crisis." I'd highly recommend it. I've long believed that if people never encounter hardship, their brains will eventually make it for them.

“Marriage is hard. Divorce is hard. Choose your hard.
Obesity is hard. Being fit is hard. Choose your hard.
Being in debt is hard. Being financially disciplined is hard. Choose your hard.
Communication is hard. Not communicating is hard. Choose your hard.
Life will never be easy. It will always be hard. But we can choose our hard.
Pick wisely.”

I want my kids to encounter hardship so they can develop the mental toughness to preserver.

Sports they really push kids to the edge of their physical comfort zone is one of the better modern solutions in my mind.

Every situation is different and their is no one size fits all cure. I do think mental toughness honed through perseverance is a good start though.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: what drives teen suicide [Re: 921 Phoenix] #14336524 04/06/22 09:12 PM
reeltexan Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity

Poor parenting, lack of spiritual values and the constant negative bombardment from all media.
They get depressed.

My world was the opposite when I was young.

"..The pleasantist angling is to see the fish
Cut with her golden oars the silver stream,
And greedily devour the treacherous bait.
Bill Shakespeare

[Linked Image]
Re: what drives teen suicide [Re: Jpurdue] #14336559 04/06/22 09:29 PM
921 Phoenix Online Content OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
I recently read a book called "Comfort Crisis." I'd highly recommend it. I've long believed that if people never encounter hardship, their brains will eventually make it for them.

“Marriage is hard. Divorce is hard. Choose your hard.
Obesity is hard. Being fit is hard. Choose your hard.
Being in debt is hard. Being financially disciplined is hard. Choose your hard.
Communication is hard. Not communicating is hard. Choose your hard.
Life will never be easy. It will always be hard. But we can choose our hard.
Pick wisely.”

I want my kids to encounter hardship so they can develop the mental toughness to preserver.

Sports they really push kids to the edge of their physical comfort zone is one of the better modern solutions in my mind.

Every situation is different and their is no one size fits all cure. I do think mental toughness honed through perseverance is a good start though.

A lot of truth JP good post

Re: what drives teen suicide [Re: 921 Phoenix] #14336563 04/06/22 09:32 PM
Moto-Moto Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
At age 15 I was homeless....but the thought of suicide never crossed my mind.

At age 24, I had just returned home from Iraq without a few of my teammates, and it crossed my mind then.

I may be a rowdy son of a bitch sometimes, but I also continue the fight and move forward. I'm not sure if that can be taught....but my kids have it in them too.

Re: what drives teen suicide [Re: 921 Phoenix] #14337285 04/07/22 03:08 PM
machinist Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
We had a family friend commit suicide. Him and my son raced bikes together as teenagers. He was 47, divorced, had 2 kids,he had a good job and no one ever expected him to do something like he did. I hadn’t seen him face to face in probably3 years but we had visited on social media occasionally. We live at the Lake and the last time we visited he said he was going to bring his jet ski and come to see the wife and I. I was shocked when my son called that morning to tell me Shannon had hung himself. I am not ashamed to say I cried because I know if I had talked to him I could changed his mind. At his funeral I made it a point to tell all of the friends of my son that were there that if any of them ever had any thoughts of suicide to call me. I said that any and all of them were welcome to come to our house anytime night or day and I would show them how loved they were. So far we haven’t lost anymore but I make sure everyone remembers what Shannon did.

I fish on the edge and stay out of the middle

99 BassCat Jag w/225 Merc Optimax
Retired TXU Outage Manager
Re: what drives teen suicide [Re: 921 Phoenix] #14337296 04/07/22 03:19 PM
T
TXanalogkd Offline
Angler
Angler
T
False hopes: not everyone is a winner but accept who you are and keep trying to be your best. Kids are so focused on going to college and are expecting big pay checks when they graduate. Now they are under pressure to keep up with there friends and social status.
Social media/Peer pressure: Trust God and the people who really love.
No father figure and/or bad parents.
Depression: The human brain is so unique and this can happen to anyone. Also, I believe the drugs that are given to people to fight depression is also causing the suicide thoughts. This goes back to trust God and the people who really love you.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide