Re: How many of my fellow veterans [Re: Bassnhog] #14334990 04/05/22 12:47 PM
R
RBDavis3591 Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted by Bassnhog
I agree mostly. It doesn't matter if one served 4 years or 34 years. A vet is a vet, and earned that title by having served. However, not everyone who's worn the uniform is a "hero" by any means. I've had to deal with plenty of "zero's" who were parasitic, morale-sucking leeches who took up too much of my time working with admin to get them discharged ASAP. From my experience, those types were usually the first ones to hit their local VA office the day after they are discharged, and then sport their vet hats/shirts/bumper stickers for public adoration and freebie handouts. This is not to take away from the vets who honorably served, who I have sincere gratitude for.

thumb

Re: How many of my fellow veterans [Re: river-rat] #14335044 04/05/22 01:30 PM
F
forkduc Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
I dont

Re: How many of my fellow veterans [Re: Patriot Guard Rider] #14335057 04/05/22 01:52 PM
T
TXanalogkd Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Originally Posted by Patriot Guard Rider
I must admit that after a lot of years on this forum reading comments that were very favorable to veterans, that I am somewhat dismayed about some comments that have been made on this thread.

“a look at me hat”

“after having "served" for only 4 years”

“Everybody’s a hero now”

Maybe I'm feeling just a bit sensitive but there seems to be some amount of contempt creeping in. I'm proud of my service and I didn't stay in for 20-30 years. Those of us who served less that that are just as worthy of being call a "VET" as those who served more years. Those who served in support positions are just as important as those who were in combat. It takes a lot of support personnel to keep one combat troop in the field.

And all vets are eligible to participate in the benefits of the VA system. It's a flawed system for sure, but the only health care available to millions of those who served.

Like I said, maybe I'm just being overly sensitive. If so, my apologies to those who made those comments.

I do not wear a hat. Also, I am the one who does not ask for discounts. Patriot Guard Rider; you are correct. It takes a special person to serve this great nation, and not everyone can do it for various reasons, and I am not mad at them. Many times I would have people offer to buy my lunch while in uniform but I would kindly turn them down with this statement; "thank you for your support but the real hero's are the ones who have not returned or have come back disabled."

Re: How many of my fellow veterans [Re: TXanalogkd] #14335068 04/05/22 02:02 PM
B
Bassnhog Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by TXanalogkd
I must admit that after a lot of years on this forum reading comments that were very favorable to veterans, that I am somewhat dismayed about some comments that have been made on this thread.

“a look at me hat”

“Everybody’s a hero now”

Maybe I'm feeling just a bit sensitive but there seems to be some amount of contempt creeping in. I'm proud of my service and I didn't stay in for 20-30 years. Those of us who served less that that are just as worthy of being call a "VET" as those who served more years. Those who served in support positions are just as important as those who were in combat. It takes a lot of support personnel to keep one combat troop in the field.

And all vets are eligible to participate in the benefits of the VA system. It's a flawed system for sure, but the only health care available to millions of those who served.

Like I said, maybe I'm just being overly sensitive. If so, my apologies to those who made those comments.

I do not wear a hat. Also, I am the one who does not ask for discounts. Patriot Guard Rider; you are correct. It takes a special person to serve this great nation, and not everyone can do it for various reasons, and I am not mad at them. Many times I would have people offer to buy my lunch while in uniform but I would kindly turn them down with this statement; "thank you for your support but the real hero's are the ones who have not returned or have come back disabled."

thumb

Semper Fi-shing
Re: How many of my fellow veterans [Re: Patriot Guard Rider] #14335131 04/05/22 02:55 PM
E
Emit R Detsaw Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
E

“a look at me hat”

“Everybody’s a hero now”

100%

The VA has had it's problems. The latest one was when they opened up to allow all Vets to use the hospital system and didn't hire staff to support the increase. But the staff at most VAs take great care of the Vets they see. That has been my experience at the 3 different VA hospitals that I have used since I started using them. I went 9 years after retirement before I started using them because of the bad press that they were getting. But I was getting bad care from the civilian health care in San Antonio so I went to the VA and they took great care of me and addressed the problems instead of catered to Insurance company $$$.

On the military/Vet hats. I usually only wear one when going to the VA or on special days like Veterans Day or the Air Force birthday. Like I said before, I wear a hat a lot, but usually a wide brim hat for health reasons. I see lots of Vets hats around town. It's a relative small town, but has a large military retirement population. That might make a difference. I don't remember wearing one much when I was living in San Antonio, and it is a pretty big military community.

May you be treated the way you treat other people, today and everyday!

Re: How many of my fellow veterans [Re: river-rat] #14335149 04/05/22 03:11 PM
G
greenen Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
G
No

Re: How many of my fellow veterans [Re: river-rat] #14335263 04/05/22 05:30 PM
T
Trebor Neil Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
T
Always wear "The" hat, and never turn down a discount. ...
At 88, if you don't like it, repeat after me "EAT IT!!!!!"

However, Moto, You be my hero, although really believe my Manifest and free falls lead you.(and the two stars look good) banana

Attached Files vet hats.jpg
Last edited by Trebor Neil; 04/05/22 07:38 PM.

You bettcha!
[Linked Image]
oofta!
Re: How many of my fellow veterans [Re: kjwolvy] #14335279 04/05/22 05:53 PM
F
Floon Swenson Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted by kjwolvy
No, and I dont ask for discounts either
Except at Twin Peaks because it's big enough to allow me to tip more.

If it's bigger at a Twin Peaks, try a strip bar and see what happens to it. You'll be tipping like a Rockefeller.

Re: How many of my fellow veterans [Re: Flags] #14335280 04/05/22 05:56 PM
F
Floon Swenson Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted by Flags
Originally Posted by Notaguide
I frequently wear my sons Abraham Lincoln hat and have people thanking me for my service

I pre-commed the Lincoln. Have a USS Abraham Lincoln plankowner hat. We commissioned her on Nov 11, 1989 in Virginia.

Ahh...so not a giant black tophat.

Makes more sense now.

Re: How many of my fellow veterans [Re: river-rat] #14335297 04/05/22 06:12 PM
F
F4 Gator Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
F
I rarely wear a military related hat -- just keeping a low profile and getting on with life works for me. Though I do use the discounts at Lowe's and Home Depot -- every little bit of savings helps.

[Linked Image]

Phormer Phantom Phlyer
Re: How many of my fellow veterans [Re: river-rat] #14335440 04/05/22 08:41 PM
S
Sailor1180 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
I wear one. on occasion..
Depending on what I'm doing, and where I'm going..

Re: How many of my fellow veterans [Re: Flags] #14335476 04/05/22 09:14 PM
Notaguide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Flags
Originally Posted by Notaguide
I frequently wear my sons Abraham Lincoln hat and have people thanking me for my service

I pre-commed the Lincoln. Have a USS Abraham Lincoln plankowner hat. We commissioned her on Nov 11, 1989 in Virginia.

Mission Accomplished

Re: How many of my fellow veterans [Re: Bassnhog] #14335557 04/05/22 10:47 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
My appreciation to all who have served. The only ones I disdain are those who did serve and cry and claim all of their ailments were related to their service. The VA is a racket. If I were head of the VA I would propose that unless your ailment was combat-related, you don't qualify for any health-related, non-combat monthly stipends unless you served 20 plus years. You volunteered to begin with. Suck it up buttercups. I won't be head of the VA anytime soon though.

not sure how old you are but in the 60s/70s when you enlisted or got drafted you were promised lifetime medical care with the va.
that was part of the trade off for serving for extremely low pay and in a lot of instances some of the worst conditions you could imagine.

I was discharged on feb. 22 1974 and at the va in march on recommendation of my dr. that did my separation stuff. dropped off their care in 84 when I got private insurance, obiecare forced me back on the rolls and will use them till I fall over dead.

while I agree there are those who abuse the system and fake stuff there are a whole lot more like me that probably would not be alive without the va hospitals.
if you served 4 yrs. or were a lifer with 40 yrs. like my grandfather you earned what little the govt. gives you combat or not, using it is purely up to the individual.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: How many of my fellow veterans [Re: river-rat] #14335564 04/05/22 10:52 PM
H
HasBen Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
H
I have an acquaintance who served a few years during Viet Nam as some kind of supply clerk in Hawaii. He never leaves the house without, at least, the hat and maybe a shirt or jacket and of course the sticker on his trucks back window. Makes me laugh.

"Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness."-Mark Twain
Re: How many of my fellow veterans [Re: hopalong] #14335578 04/05/22 11:20 PM
B
Bassnhog Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by hopalong
My appreciation to all who have served. The only ones I disdain are those who did serve and cry and claim all of their ailments were related to their service. The VA is a racket. If I were head of the VA I would propose that unless your ailment was combat-related, you don't qualify for any health-related, non-combat monthly stipends unless you served 20 plus years. You volunteered to begin with. Suck it up buttercups. I won't be head of the VA anytime soon though.

not sure how old you are but in the 60s/70s when you enlisted or got drafted you were promised lifetime medical care with the va.
that was part of the trade off for serving for extremely low pay and in a lot of instances some of the worst conditions you could imagine.

I was discharged on feb. 22 1974 and at the va in march on recommendation of my dr. that did my separation stuff. dropped off their care in 84 when I got private insurance, obiecare forced me back on the rolls and will use them till I fall over dead.

while I agree there are those who abuse the system and fake stuff there are a whole lot more like me that probably would not be alive without the va hospitals.
if you served 4 yrs. or were a lifer with 40 yrs. like my grandfather you earned what little the govt. gives you combat or not, using it is purely up to the individual.

I'm 57 Hop, joined the Corps in 1984, retired in 2005, and wear multiple hats (at my dermatologists recommendation). Maybe I need to visit the VA and claim all the the skin damage I suffered frolicking on the beach with women folk back in the 80's. Ha. Thank you for your service - squid.

Semper Fi-shing
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide