Page 1 of 2 1 2
Inexperienced Fishing Father #14331182 03/31/22 12:57 PM
M
MilamFishin Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
Unlike most of you here, I can probably count on my hands how many times I have been fishing in my life. I've spent a great deal of time in the outdoors, but fishing was never a thing for me. I am raising a very inquisitive 9 year old boy and he very much wants to go fishing...a lot! I took him once last year, but we have no idea what we are doing and it was kind of frustrating and didn't catch anything. I bought a fishing license and am trying to figure out where to take him and what to do to actually catch fish.

Anyway, other than just jumping in with no clue, I don't know where to start and I really want my son to enjoy the experience. The closest lakes to us are Granger and Sommerville as are the San Gabriel and Little Rivers.

(I couldn't find a better place to post this so please let me know if I missed it)

Re: Inexperienced Fishing Father [Re: MilamFishin] #14331186 03/31/22 01:05 PM
B
BillS2006 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
I would suggest you book a trip with Weldon Kirk of Fish Fish Tales Guide Service. Weldon is great with kids and inexperienced fishermen. He guides on Sommerville. He can teach you a lot about catfishing.

OH, Welcome to the madness called fishing!

Transgenders: God made them, the devil changed their minds.
Re: Inexperienced Fishing Father [Re: MilamFishin] #14331194 03/31/22 01:13 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
I'd start simple:

Rogers City Park Pond
Spinning rod with a little piece of hotdog on a small bait hook under a bobber.
You should catch plenty of bluegill and bass.

[Linked Image]

There's another park pond in that area--Wilson Ledbetter; but it was stocked with just catfish. There's probably some blue gill in there also, but fishing for catfish requires more gear, more robust equipment, etc (not as simple as fishing for sunfish and small bass)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: Inexperienced Fishing Father [Re: MilamFishin] #14331291 03/31/22 02:49 PM
R
romeroxl1200 Offline
Angler
Angler
R
there is a great little fishing dock at granger wilson fox... you'll catch something.....worms will get you blue gil....minnows and jogs crappie...

or you can hook up with someone who has a boat to take you out......this is much better option....heck you can join me when you can.

Re: Inexperienced Fishing Father [Re: MilamFishin] #14331417 03/31/22 05:16 PM
M
MilamFishin Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
I appreciate the quick feedback already. I'm definitely going to try one of these this weekend.

Re: Inexperienced Fishing Father [Re: MilamFishin] #14331439 03/31/22 05:40 PM
89javelin100 Offline
Angler
Angler
If you want some details about like line, rods, baits to keep things simple and not go too crazy spending, let me know. I also did not like fishing my whole life until I was 34, and now 39 and love it. I also don't buy a bunch of tackle or spend much on it because I can't. If you want my style of simple and effective let me know! Im not saying I'm great, but Ive learned how to keep things simple and have fun too!

Re: Inexperienced Fishing Father [Re: MilamFishin] #14331549 03/31/22 08:14 PM
JJ4MEL Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
First let me say, WAY TO GO DAD!! Too many Dads out there that will not get in tune with their kids likes because they don't like it. So first and foremost, you're awesome!

Next, I would try youtube for learning the basics. Like how to tie different knots or how to set up for bluegill fishing vs bass fishing vs catfishing. Lots of visual aids to get you set up easily.

If a guide is an option for you, take the recommendation of going out with a guide. They will teach you and your son A LOT. That will just depend on your budget.

I had a Dad that hated fishing and the most he would do was drop me off and pick me up where I wanted to fish. I learned how to fish from Bill Dance Outdoors when he had his TV show in the late 70's and 80's. Fishing magazines too.

Re: Inexperienced Fishing Father [Re: JJ4MEL] #14332403 04/01/22 04:33 PM
M
MilamFishin Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
Yes, I understand that. It is one of the reasons I want to do what I can with my son and his interests. It may not go anywhere or it could lead to a lifetime of father-son
moments.

Originally Posted by JJ4MEL
First let me say, WAY TO GO DAD!! Too many Dads out there that will not get in tune with their kids likes because they don't like it. So first and foremost, you're awesome!

Next, I would try youtube for learning the basics. Like how to tie different knots or how to set up for bluegill fishing vs bass fishing vs catfishing. Lots of visual aids to get you set up easily.

If a guide is an option for you, take the recommendation of going out with a guide. They will teach you and your son A LOT. That will just depend on your budget.

I had a Dad that hated fishing and the most he would do was drop me off and pick me up where I wanted to fish. I learned how to fish from Bill Dance Outdoors when he had his TV show in the late 70's and 80's. Fishing magazines too.

Re: Inexperienced Fishing Father [Re: MilamFishin] #14332456 04/01/22 05:30 PM
N
NavyToad Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
N
I’d suggest targeting blue gill and/or crappie to begin with. The reason I say this is because they’re easy to catch, and if you find them, you’ll likely be able to catch quite a few of them. Kids MUST catch fish! Once he’s caught a few fish he’ll be on his way. Gulp Alive Angle Worms are a great bait for blue gill. YouTube is your friend for both technique and necessary equipment - keep it simple.
Catching fish beats the heck out of video games. If you decide to hire a guide in the beginning, try to find someone who can help a kid CATCH some fish. A kid with a pole and line in the water and no fish to show for it will bore quickly.
Best of Luck!!

Todd
USN Retired
Re: Inexperienced Fishing Father [Re: MilamFishin] #14332554 04/01/22 07:52 PM
M
MilamFishin Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
Just FYI...I was considering going to the lake near Rogers' TX since it's a little out of the way. I looked at it with Google maps and it shows a lake, but when you go to street view the lake is gone..dried up! A youtube search revealed that a flood in 2019 caused the earthen dam to break and it looks like they never fixed it.

Re: Inexperienced Fishing Father [Re: MilamFishin] #14332648 04/01/22 10:04 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
That’s terrible. Sorry the pond disappeared.

[Linked Image]
Re: Inexperienced Fishing Father [Re: MilamFishin] #14332809 04/02/22 02:24 AM
Mudshark Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
It is surprisingly difficult to find a good picture of how to thread a worm onto a hook in the internets. That alone shocks me. Here is how I do it. Get a long shank cricket hook. It’s a really small hook with a long shank. The long shank helps get a perch off the hook when they get it in deep which happens a lot when fishing with kids. Even the photo I have below shows a hook that is way to big, but it shows the way a worm needs to be threaded onto a hook. The most important part of perch jerking is to make sure the tip of that hook isn’t showing. The rest of the hook can be exposed, but if the tip of the hook shows, even a little, you will not get bit. When threading on a worm, it doesn’t take much, certainly not the whole worm. Anything more than covering half the shank of the hook with a small tail off the barb is to much worm. Thread the worm on the hook and pinch it off when you have enough on and put the rest of it back in the worm cup.

If you are fishing from a pier, just use a very small split shot about four inches above the hook.. if you can avoid it, don’t use a bobber. Let the worm pendulum back and forth slowly to make the perch have to chase it a bit. That will keep them from pecking off the worm and make them actually take it.

If you are having to cast out, either from a boat or walking down a shoreline, a bobber may be very helpful. A thin quill bobber would be best. The red and white bobbers are horrible. Cast out, and slowly reel back in. Keep it slowly moving. They will chase it and take down the bobber.

Use the lightest spilt shot you can find. If it’s too heavy, you will never know how many fish you are missing.

Small, long shanked hook
Very light split shot
No bobber if you can help it
Keep it moving, slowly

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Inexperienced Fishing Father [Re: MilamFishin] #14333234 04/03/22 01:30 AM
K
Kisndismis Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Its skill that he can be taught and do it for a lifetime. I take a lot of my daughters friends whose parents dont know how ( or have the interest) and I find the fish then sit back and let them enjoy the experience, good and bad. I also suggest a time limit, even adults dont like to sit all day, especially when its slow. Take some snacks everytime and make special thing like with us its slurpees when we go to gas station, the kids all know Mr Hawkins does this and they look forward to it. My daughter like to give them a good look over like shes a little doctor. Worms and a bobber at any city pond or park and youll catch them. I am not familiar with your area or I would make local suggestions.

Watch it happen, make it happen, or say what the hell happened. Capt. Phil Harris F/V Cornelia Marie RIP
Re: Inexperienced Fishing Father [Re: MilamFishin] #14333389 04/03/22 01:34 PM
S
spacejunkie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Where you live see if you can find someone with a tank that will let you fish from the bank. Then use the worm and bobber method to learn the basics. Most tanks in your area will have bream, catfish and bass in them so you can learn to catch all of them there and then progress to lakes. Just don't trash the place or take anyone else with you when you find a spot.

Re: Inexperienced Fishing Father [Re: MilamFishin] #14333561 04/03/22 06:38 PM
D
deucer02 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
Check the bank fishing, fly fishing, and bream and perch sections. There's a wealth of information on where and how to fish. People in those sections are helpful and willing to share information. Good luck.

Biden famously said in the New York Observer, “I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that’s a storybook, man.”
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide