Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Kayak Trailer #14327288 03/27/22 03:00 PM
D
David Cole Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
D
I sold all my kayak stuff several years ago when my spouse was sick. I'm now thinking about getting a new Kayak but now, with no pickup, I will need a trailer to pull behind my SUV. I'm not sure I could get the boat up on a roof rack, so I am discounting that option.

Any suggestions on a decent trailer with good size tires that can be pulled at highway speed limits?

David
Trout Unlimited Life Time Member
Lake O.H. Ivie Fly Fishing Body of Water Record Holder for Blue Catfish (2.21) and Largemouth Bass (1.62)
Re: Kayak Trailer [Re: David Cole] #14327315 03/27/22 03:23 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
Another option is to get an inflatable kayak
It will deflate to fit in the back of the SUV
No need for a trailer or roof rack
Texas wind is definitely a factor with inflatable kayaks

What I would get.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: Kayak Trailer [Re: David Cole] #14327740 03/28/22 12:40 AM
D
David Cole Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
D
I'm looking at a Hobie...I had one several years ago and liked it. Thanks for the information.

David
Lake O.H. Ivie Fly Fishing Body of Water Record Holder for Blue Catfish (2.21) and Largemouth Bass (1.62)
Re: Kayak Trailer [Re: David Cole] #14328046 03/28/22 12:57 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Lots of options out there. One popular option is to buy a Harbor Freight trailer (get the one with 12" tires not the one with 8" tires) and modify it for your kayak. Another option is to buy a galvanized jon boat trailer from Academy (my recommendation). CE Smith, Malone, Trailex or even a jet ski trailer like an Ironton from Northern Tool.
Note I would avoid buying a used trailer unless the seller has a valid title for that trailer AND the seller has the registration receipt AND the sellers name and address match what's on the registration receipt. If not you will have a nightmare of a time trying to get a title for it.

Also if you buy a bolt together trailer new (Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, etc) make sure you keep the purchase receipt. It's extremely difficult to get it titled without that receipt even tho it's brand new.

Oh and and more tip- if you need to modify the trailer in any way do so after you get registered the trailer. Modifying it before makes it ten times harder to get it registered. Depending on what you buy you will likely need pics of your trailer (fully assembled if required) for registration.

You get out of it what you put into it!
Re: Kayak Trailer [Re: CCTX] #14328061 03/28/22 01:05 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by CCTX
Another option is to get an inflatable kayak
It will deflate to fit in the back of the SUV
No need for a trailer or roof rack
Texas wind is definitely a factor with inflatable kayaks

What I would get.
[Linked Image]

CCTX I'm going to respectfully disagree. This is a great option for someone traveling in an RV or travel trailer and has zero options to trailer or carry a true fishing kayak but the OP doesn't mention this scenario. Inflatables are a pain. They add considerable prep time in terms of getting ready to launch and on the return side, when you're done fishing they're wet (and for me often muddy since I launch in the marsh a lot) and you obviously can't fold them up and store them wet and they're heavy. Picking up a 50 lb box or folded inflatable kayak is a lot harder to do than picking up one end of a 100 lb kayak. You mentioned the wind but this is huge. They're like a balloon on the water in the wind. For me they're impossible to hold in position in anything over about 6-8 mph. Just my thoughts.

Re: Kayak Trailer [Re: David Cole] #14328062 03/28/22 01:05 PM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Look for a used 5'x8' or larger utility trailer, can usually be had for a few hundred

Re: Kayak Trailer [Re: David Cole] #14328077 03/28/22 01:16 PM
Mudshark Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I lay down the back sets of my Equinox and use a tailgate extender. It looks like hell but works better than one might imagine. The cart I store the boat on is the same height as the extender so I just push it in there and strap it down.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Kayak Trailer [Re: Jerry713] #14328093 03/28/22 01:29 PM
T
TXanalogkd Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Great advice from Jerry713 about purchasing a trailer from Academy. Also, not sure how far you are travelling with the trailer, but make sure you have decent size tires on your trailer; bigger is better. Small tires are not good for long hauls and high speeds on the highway.

Note sure how serious you are about kayaking but those Hobie PA's are nice, but expensive.

Last edited by TXanalogkd; 03/28/22 01:34 PM.
Re: Kayak Trailer [Re: TXanalogkd] #14328288 03/28/22 03:44 PM
D
David Cole Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
D
I had a Hobie several years ago but sold it and bought a Mokai jet-powered kayak. I had a 5 X 8 utility trailer but hadn't used it for several years (my spouse was sick and I didn't do any fishing). I'll probably look at the places mentioned and make sure I get at least 12" tires (good comment)

David
Re: Kayak Trailer [Re: David Cole] #14328587 03/28/22 07:34 PM
D
DoubleTwaco Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
I highly recommend a triton aluminum trailer. I haul two hobies on mine with no worries. I also added cradles.

Re: Kayak Trailer [Re: DoubleTwaco] #14328652 03/28/22 08:26 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by DoubleTwaco
I highly recommend a triton aluminum trailer. I haul two hobies on mine with no worries. I also added cradles.

Yep that's the one I couldn't remember they're good. Expensive but worth. I would recommend a Triton over a Malone any day.

Re: Kayak Trailer [Re: David Cole] #14328655 03/28/22 08:28 PM
P
porta Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
P
Great suggestions above.

Trailers are a hassle, in my personal experience. It will be an additional thing to register, maintain, store, pay a fee on, and periodically do a safety check on. In my opinion, special sealed bearings are required if the wheels will be going into water at a boat ramp, especially salt water. If you only go out a few times per year, it might be better to rent a U-Haul. A simple custom frame to fit your kayak could be built which slides in and fits the U-Haul. The tailgate extender idea, can save time if you can at least partially preload your kayak. Other ideas include trailer hitch loaders and power loader kits or custom-built.

For Inflatables it depends on where someone plans to go and what kind of fishing will be done. Inflatables may sometimes be the only way to go for some situations, like packing in to Alpine Lakes, extensive portaging Upstream, life rafts, dangerous Rapids on rivers where they bounce off of boulders, Etc. They tend to be lighter and can be stored packed /partially inflated for a quick Grab & Go, if someone has the vehicle for it.

Hope this helps.

Re: Kayak Trailer [Re: David Cole] #14328657 03/28/22 08:30 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by David Cole
I had a Hobie several years ago but sold it and bought a Mokai jet-powered kayak. I had a 5 X 8 utility trailer but hadn't used it for several years (my spouse was sick and I didn't do any fishing). I'll probably look at the places mentioned and make sure I get at least 12" tires (good comment)

Sounds good you might consider one thing the Harbor Freight trailer (with 12" tires) is I believe a little cheaper than the galvanized jon boat trailer at Academy (it's been a while since I priced them) but the Harbor Freight trailer takes a solid half day to assemble and that's if everything goes perfect then you have to add at minimum some pvc pipes or runners for the kayak to rest on where as the jon boat trailer at Academy is ready to roll. You can adjust the boat bunks to fit your yak and switch those out for pvc runners later if necessary. Food for thought if your considering that route...

Re: Kayak Trailer [Re: porta] #14328905 03/29/22 12:44 AM
J
Jim Ford Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by porta
Great suggestions above.

Trailers are a hassle, in my personal experience. It will be an additional thing to register, maintain, store, pay a fee on, and periodically do a safety check on. In my opinion, special sealed bearings are required if the wheels will be going into water at a boat ramp, especially salt water. If you only go out a few times per year, it might be better to rent a U-Haul. A simple custom frame to fit your kayak could be built which slides in and fits the U-Haul. The tailgate extender idea, can save time if you can at least partially preload your kayak. Other ideas include trailer hitch loaders and power loader kits or custom-built.

For Inflatables it depends on where someone plans to go and what kind of fishing will be done. Inflatables may sometimes be the only way to go for some situations, like packing in to Alpine Lakes, extensive portaging Upstream, life rafts, dangerous Rapids on rivers where they bounce off of boulders, Etc. They tend to be lighter and can be stored packed /partially inflated for a quick Grab & Go, if someone has the vehicle for it.

Hope this helps.

Thereโ€™s no need to dunk the wheels on a kayak trailer at a boat ramp or anywhere else. I never dunked the wheels on my kayak tailer, my SoloSkiff trailer, or the AmeriTrail trailer that hauls my 16โ€™ poling skiff. My SoloSkiff trailer (a McClain jon boat trailer from Academy) had a custom rack that carried two kayaks above the Solo. I hauled it loaded all over Texas on 12โ€ tires for years at the speed limits with no problems. I also modified a 16โ€™ dual axle utility trailer to haul two SoloSkiffs above a 2โ€™ high secure storage compartment for a trip to the Keys. Never dunked the wheels, even doing beach launches at 3 Mile Pass at Matagorda with that monstrosity.

Kayak trailers may not be for everyone, but they are the easiest and most convenient solution for a lot of people. The minor expense of annual registration is more than offset by the ease and convenience for a lot of folks.

Re: Kayak Trailer [Re: David Cole] #14337010 04/07/22 12:12 PM
Pop751 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I bought and modified a used jet ski trailer to haul my PA12. It has more than enough capacity and the tires are big enough to not worry about them on the highway.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide