texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,882
Posts13,954,774
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Amazon Lithiums #14320359 03/19/22 11:10 PM
M
mossyback75 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
Anyone have any issues with LifePo4 batteries? Half the price of Ionics or other brand names. Seems like a no brainer if they are relatively issue free.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Amazon Lithiums [Re: mossyback75] #14320370 03/19/22 11:30 PM
O
ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50) Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
I've been researching this for a while as a cost saving going lithium and here's what I found. It looks like they'd outperform regular lithium batteries in a bass boat if I understood everything right in this article.
https://lithiumhub.com/lifepo4-batt...msclkid=b93db3b0a7db11ecbb2d4be3428edc48

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Proud student of the Pro Staffer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwF72B2F2w&t=14s
Re: Amazon Lithiums [Re: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)] #14320391 03/19/22 11:58 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)
I've been researching this for a while as a cost saving going lithium and here's what I found. It looks like they'd outperform regular lithium batteries in a bass boat if I understood everything right in this article.

Regular lithium batteries explode when subjected to water, you will only find lifepo4 for marine environments.

Re: Amazon Lithiums [Re: grout-scout] #14320393 03/20/22 12:03 AM
O
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted by grout-scout

Regular lithium batteries explode when subjected to water, you will only find lifepo4 for marine environments.

thumb

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Re: Amazon Lithiums [Re: mossyback75] #14320432 03/20/22 12:58 AM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

Re: Amazon Lithiums [Re: 361V] #14320530 03/20/22 03:28 AM
M
mossyback75 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
Originally Posted by 361V

IDK. There are a bunch. Not sure the difference to tell you the truth. All made in China. Not sure which ones are better than others. Thats why I wanted opinions from people with experience. Are the ones you linked legit?

Re: Amazon Lithiums [Re: mossyback75] #14320551 03/20/22 04:06 AM
H
Hook'em79 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
H
Bought mine off eBay for half the price of the brands like Iconic, have not had any issues.

God, Family, Friends
www.sterlingtractor.com

Re: Amazon Lithiums [Re: mossyback75] #14320560 03/20/22 04:44 AM
P
prosise Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
You get what you pay for. There is a guy on youtube that disassembles all the lithium batteries. He breaks them down to find out how they are made, and check out the BMS & low temp cutoff. When the batteries are disected the temp sensor is not what they say. Many, many batteries say they have a low temp cutoff, but this is false. Suprisingly many are made by the same company and packaged differently. Do some digging, and then see what you can find. Only thing that I am concerned about is the warranty. I picked up a couple of 100ah eg4 batteries from signature solar, and will be adding another two batteries mid year. Going from two of the group 29 maxx flooded deep cycle batteries which were about 70 lbs each, to two 22lb batteries is very suprising. I will probably get the ionic mid year and move those to the trolling motor, but I am torturing these until then. I watched many of videos and posts about lithium, but even I was suprised. I ran the snot out of them for 8 hours, then when i trailered I checked them with the bluetooth app and they were at 87%. It really was surprising, and I run electric RC cars with my son so I should have known. I know pound for pound there is nothing that competes with lithium but it's still a little surprising. Time will tell, if you can find some with a decent warranty, and the company has been around for a long time maybe you could save a few dollars. There is no real way to tell if you are buying grade A, B, or C lithium batteries unless you buy from someone reputable. My fishing mentor had a problem with one of his ionic batteries, it got too low. Ionic gave him the support he needed to recover the battery. I think he also had one replaced with no questions or problems. I also like the way he can pull up all his batteries on his phone and check them all at the same time. I believe their app will also warn you if you get too low, or will do something special if you need reserve for emergency. But this is just something I remember hearing, someone with their product can chime in.

If it were me, and the neck of the household approved the purchase I would go ionic. You won't be buying batteries for 10+ years. Im the head of the house, but my wife is the neck of the house and the neck turns the head. If you have to stay low on the radar you might try the lower cost batteries available on amazon. There are people out there that have tested them, and can give real world results. But some companies change names, or are hard to get any type of suport from.

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you go with.

Re: Amazon Lithiums [Re: prosise] #14320567 03/20/22 05:28 AM
M
mossyback75 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M

Originally Posted by prosise
You get what you pay for. There is a guy on youtube that disassembles all the lithium batteries. He breaks them down to find out how they are made, and check out the BMS & low temp cutoff. When the batteries are disected the temp sensor is not what they say. Many, many batteries say they have a low temp cutoff, but this is false. Suprisingly many are made by the same company and packaged differently. Do some digging, and then see what you can find. Only thing that I am concerned about is the warranty. I picked up a couple of 100ah eg4 batteries from signature solar, and will be adding another two batteries mid year. Going from two of the group 29 maxx flooded deep cycle batteries which were about 70 lbs each, to two 22lb batteries is very suprising. I will probably get the ionic mid year and move those to the trolling motor, but I am torturing these until then. I watched many of videos and posts about lithium, but even I was suprised. I ran the snot out of them for 8 hours, then when i trailered I checked them with the bluetooth app and they were at 87%. It really was surprising, and I run electric RC cars with my son so I should have known. I know pound for pound there is nothing that competes with lithium but it's still a little surprising. Time will tell, if you can find some with a decent warranty, and the company has been around for a long time maybe you could save a few dollars. There is no real way to tell if you are buying grade A, B, or C lithium batteries unless you buy from someone reputable. My fishing mentor had a problem with one of his ionic batteries, it got too low. Ionic gave him the support he needed to recover the battery. I think he also had one replaced with no questions or problems. I also like the way he can pull up all his batteries on his phone and check them all at the same time. I believe their app will also warn you if you get too low, or will do something special if you need reserve for emergency. But this is just something I remember hearing, someone with their product can chime in.

If it were me, and the neck of the household approved the purchase I would go ionic. You won't be buying batteries for 10+ years. Im the head of the house, but my wife is the neck of the house and the neck turns the head. If you have to stay low on the radar you might try the lower cost batteries available on amazon. There are people out there that have tested them, and can give real world results. But some companies change names, or are hard to get any type of suport from.

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you go with.

I have two 50ah ionics now but after 6 or so hours running the trolling motor hard they were at 7%. Unacceptable for offshore this summer. Upgrading to two 100ah but I can get two 100ah Amazons for the same price as the 50ah ionic torn.

Last edited by mossyback75; 03/20/22 05:29 AM.
Re: Amazon Lithiums [Re: mossyback75] #14320576 03/20/22 08:19 AM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Check out Ampowsure Lithium in Austin. I've been testing several of their batteries since the fall with no issues. Great customer service and warranty. Michael, the owner, really knows batteries

Re: Amazon Lithiums [Re: mossyback75] #14320736 03/20/22 02:10 PM
O
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
With these fuel prices we are all going to have to look at ways to lighten the load on the boat and our tow vehicles. Sitting here reading this I could see not only lithium batteries helping by boat fuel milage but my pickup as well; getting rid of towable weight.
On a side note: I checked the air pressure on my tires on my trailer and they were low by about 5 pounds, one really low about 25 pounds. I aired them all to 40 pounds so we'll see how that effects my towing milage. It should help noticeably based on previous experience.

Last edited by ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50); 03/20/22 02:11 PM.

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Re: Amazon Lithiums [Re: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)] #14320819 03/20/22 03:57 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
With these fuel prices we are all going to have to look at ways to lighten the load on the boat and our tow vehicles. Sitting here reading this I could see not only lithium batteries helping by boat fuel milage but my pickup as well; getting rid of towable weight.
On a side note: I checked the air pressure on my tires on my trailer and they were low by about 5 pounds, one really low about 25 pounds. I aired them all to 40 pounds so we'll see how that effects my towing milage. It should help noticeably based on previous experience.

Lol, I’ve read some things that are oxymoron, but this has got to be one of the best. Spend more on batteries, to save “money”…if someone is on a budget, they don’t need to be buying lithiums, they need the Walmart everstarts. Keep in mind, most will need a new charger also when they buy lithium’s.

I’ve read several reports of guys buying “Chin” Amazon batteries and having good results.

Re: Amazon Lithiums [Re: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)] #14320895 03/20/22 06:01 PM
B
bockscar Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B

Inflate your tires to what they are supposed to be for your vehicle. I do think over inflating helps with MPG....but it unevely wears your tires too. Truck tires aint cheap....and you dont want them giving you problems on a road trip.

How much less do Lithiums weigh? my everstart 29s are 60 pounds....litihiums would have to be like 20 pounds each to make much of a difference in my opinion. I have 4 batteries in my tracker....so thats gonna be some weight either way Id think.

Never thought Id say this....i agree with grout. Im a frugal guy 100%....but that does NOT mean I am cheap. I might not have any NRX, or a new boat....and im sure I wouldnt impress some of you with my boat or gear....but id promise youd happily use both and be very comfortable doing it. So basically....bang for your buck is priority #1 for me. Was gonna go AGM this time......but did a new round of research while running around town for work and found a better battery selection locally then I remember 3 years ago. Not talking how long one will last over the other because mileage varies between individuals.....but I really think these ever starts are your best bang for your buck in terms of batteries.

Ill "invest" more money if I think its worth it....i just dont find it in Lithiums. The main selling point is the "no drop off" claim ive heard.....well I rewired my whole tracker with thick [censored] wire, and I NEVER got any drop off until my last 2 fishing trips at the end of the fishing day.....and thats just cuz the batteries were at the end of their life cycle. Yea, im sure lithiums have no drop off....but so can standard batteries with proper wiring....in my opinion. I dont fish 3-5 days in a row, but I do fish all day, so the Lithiums are real hard to justify. I will be that oxyMoron spending more money to "save" money if theres a performance/usage boost or benefit.....but I just cant talk myself into it for lithiums....and Ill be running a scope within the next 6 months! Still big standards/everstarts are the best bang for my buck.

Do your research and be honest with usage and see what benefits you the best. Also....walmart might be getting out of their funk because the local battery selection was wayyy better this weekend than even a couple/few weeks ago when I first started looking! Even found a starting battery with 1000 cca vs the 625 my previous one had....for just $10 more too!!! So dont sleep on the ever starts. Cant vouch for their Deep Cycles yet...but I can for the starting batteries! never left me stranded...hopefully that continues roflmao

Last edited by bockscar; 03/20/22 06:03 PM.
Re: Amazon Lithiums [Re: mossyback75] #14320946 03/20/22 07:27 PM
D
Dtanous Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
I only have experience with the Ionics, but I could not be happier with them. I bought the 3- 50ah /125ah package for my boat. I run a ghost trolling motor in 36 volt setup. I took 3 day trip to Toledo Bend and fished 3.5-4 days without having to recharge the batteries. The cranking battery was at 50% and the trolling batteries were at 54% at the end of the trip. When I was buying them I was skeptical to spend that kind of money for 50 ah batteries, but when you think about it a good agm battery will cost you about the same as the ionics. Wasn't sure the 50 ah would be enough capacity, but on several peoples advice I bought them. I am not a tournament fisherman, but as weekend angler with moderate to heavy use these batteries work well. The cranking battery starts a Yamaha 250 SHO, runs livewells, 2 -12 inch graphs, and all other accessories.

Re: Amazon Lithiums [Re: Dtanous] #14321041 03/20/22 08:56 PM
O
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted by Dtanous
I only have experience with the Ionics, but I could not be happier with them. I bought the 3- 50ah /125ah package for my boat. I run a ghost trolling motor in 36 volt setup. I took 3 day trip to Toledo Bend and fished 3.5-4 days without having to recharge the batteries. The cranking battery was at 50% and the trolling batteries were at 54% at the end of the trip. When I was buying them I was skeptical to spend that kind of money for 50 ah batteries, but when you think about it a good agm battery will cost you about the same as the ionics. Wasn't sure the 50 ah would be enough capacity, but on several peoples advice I bought them. I am not a tournament fisherman, but as weekend angler with moderate to heavy use these batteries work well. The cranking battery starts a Yamaha 250 SHO, runs livewells, 2 -12 inch graphs, and all other accessories.

This for sure, the other thing you have to consider that I really hadn't thought about until recently is if you have a 24 volt or 36 volt set up on your TM you can not only go to lighter batteries but you can also eliminate batteries as well because they have single TM batteries configured in both 24 volt and 36 volt set ups. If you buy the right set up you can run your whole boat on two batteries that are lighter that their lead acid counter parts by quiet a bit, so you should be able to eliminate some very considerable amounts of weight and yes that's all fine and dandy but you still have to weigh the overall cost. I figure I'll set down one day when it is raining and crunch the numbers as far as total weight savings and cost difference.

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide