Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Breaking stuff... Rods and line? #14319055 03/18/22 11:09 AM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline OP
Jr Deputy Dan
OP Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
I have never in my many years broken a rod on a fish. In car doors? Yes. In truck beds? Oh yes. Rod lockers? Done that too. But never on a fish.

Also have never "broke off a fish". I have lost fish that got wrapped hopelessly and I pulled and pulled until he broke off but never had line break on a hook set. Never had line just "break off" as I was fighting a fish.

These things are reported on here and other places ALL THE TIME. I see the bruhs on social lamenting often about breaking rods on hook sets and fish "breaking off" when they are fighting them.

What am doing wrong? Why cant I break rods when boat flipping or on hook sets? Why is my line so strong it just does not randomly break while I am reeling in a fish?

Rods and lines are made so well... so strong these days. I cannot figure out how to get my cool fishing guy factor higher by breaking more stuff. Help a homie out yall.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Breaking stuff... Rods and line? [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #14319078 03/18/22 11:33 AM
Chris B Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Do you catch a lot of double digit fish? Both of my break offs last year looked to be DDs.

[Linked Image]
I hate photobucket.
Re: Breaking stuff... Rods and line? [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #14319090 03/18/22 11:48 AM
V
VT 18 RIDER Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
V
I have had a 10lber snap a rod. Usually my line breaks first in similar situations.

Suggestion buy Rods with a good warranty as these China rods are weak compared to real rods.

Good luck in your journey to catch a big bass with enough juicy to pop a rod.

Warning: do not use pool noodles on gunnels - Rod company claim that is the reason so many rods are breaking

Re: Breaking stuff... Rods and line? [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #14319096 03/18/22 11:57 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
I have never broken a rod that I was not the cause for the break. Same for breaking off fish.

I have broken one rod during the course of landing a fish. I boat flipped a 3 pound bass on a medium light spinning rod. I have broken off during a catch due to fishing too light of line for the situation.

Breaking stuff is due to abuse or inexperience.

As for VT? Where a rod is made has very little to do with breaking. Where/how it is used determines that.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Breaking stuff... Rods and line? [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #14319098 03/18/22 11:59 AM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
I haven’t broken many rods, but I broke a $300 rod yesterday and it just exploded on the hook set. I’ve never seen any thing do that before. I’m sure it won’t be covered under warranty for some stupid reason. Back to only buying cheap rods I guess.

I was breaking the heck out of my fluorocarbon line, then finally learned that I was twisting my line when making my knot. Changed knots and I quit breaking it.

On a separate note, yesterday I caught a bass about 3lbs with another hook broke off in its cheek. I was already hearing the sob story of how someone had their heartbroken when the “10 pounder” or “biggest bass of their life” broke them off…. roflmao

Re: Breaking stuff... Rods and line? [Re: grout-scout] #14319121 03/18/22 12:24 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline OP
Jr Deputy Dan
OP Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Originally Posted by grout-scout
I haven’t broken many rods, but I broke a $300 Megabass rod yesterday and it just exploded on the hook set. I’ve never seen any thing do that before. I’m sure it won’t be covered under warranty for some stupid reason. Back to only buying cheap rods I guess.

I was breaking the heck out of my fluorocarbon line, then finally learned that I was twisting my line when making my knot. Changed knots and I quit breaking it.

On a separate note, yesterday I caught a bass about 3lbs with another hook broke off in its cheek. I was already hearing the sob story of how someone had their heartbroken when the “10 pounder” or “biggest bass of their life” broke them off…. roflmao

See that is what I am talking about. Someone broke off that 3lb fish. Is there line made from horse hair? How does one achieve such levels of greatness as to break off that "fish of a life time"?

I must learn their ways and break more stuff.

Re: Breaking stuff... Rods and line? [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #14319133 03/18/22 12:38 PM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Rods are not necessarily “made well” these days. They are light and crazy sensitive, but durability is the price paid to for more sensitivity and less weight. Had a guy tell me Wednesday that he’s broken 10 rods in the last 12 months, all the same brand, and said “it must be my rod tubes”. You mean the ones that have been in the boat for 10 years from the factory that never caused a rod to break till brand X rods were put in there? noidea

Line wise I have gotten a bad spool of both braid and co polymer before, both would break on the hook set no matter what type of knot I tied.

Re: Breaking stuff... Rods and line? [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #14319149 03/18/22 12:58 PM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
I haven’t broken many rods, but I broke a $300 Megabass rod yesterday and it just exploded on the hook set. I’ve never seen any thing do that before. I’m sure it won’t be covered under warranty for some stupid reason. Back to only buying cheap rods I guess.

See that is what I am talking about. Someone broke off that 3lb fish. Is there line made from horse hair? How does one achieve such levels of greatness as to break off that "fish of a life time"?

I must learn their ways and break more stuff.

You don’t wanna learn thei or ways.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Breaking stuff... Rods and line? [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #14319150 03/18/22 12:59 PM
Mark Perry Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
I really haven't broken much of either. I rarely break a rod and have very few line breaks per year.

Re: Breaking stuff... Rods and line? [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #14319151 03/18/22 12:59 PM
fivebites Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I've only broken one rod that I don't "think" was my fault. Hooked a giant at Ray Roberts about 10 years ago off a bed. Was fishing a jig and 20 lb mono at close range in the trees in the back end of Sand Branch. She dove under the boat at hookset and was trying to reach the trees on the other side. I clamped down on the spool to stop the drag and the rod (a very stiff old school Cara flipping stick) exploded about two feet up from the handle. The only time I've had line really break was when Vanish first came out. That [censored] would break if you broke wind nearby it. And after three or four break offs I trashed the spool and never bought any of it again. JUNK!

2019 Chevy Tahoe
2018 Basscat Eyra 250 Proxs
PB Wife of 32 years!
PB Largemouth 9.56 Ray Roberts
Re: Breaking stuff... Rods and line? [Re: grout-scout] #14319152 03/18/22 01:00 PM
Mark Perry Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak

Check your PMs......sent you the info on the MB rod.

Re: Breaking stuff... Rods and line? [Re: fivebites] #14319153 03/18/22 01:01 PM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by fivebites
I've only broken one rod that I don't "think" was my fault. Hooked a giant at Ray Roberts about 10 years ago off a bed. Was fishing a jig and 20 lb mono at close range in the trees in the back end of Sand Branch. She dove under the boat at hookset and was trying to reach the trees on the other side. I clamped down on the spool to stop the drag and the rod (a very stiff old school Cara flipping stick) exploded about two feet up from the handle. The only time I've had line really break was when Vanish first came out. That [censored] would break if you broke wind nearby it. And after three or four break offs I trashed the spool and never bought any of it again. JUNK!

Forgot about the vanishing vanish. That stuff is HORRIBLE!

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Breaking stuff... Rods and line? [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #14319155 03/18/22 01:02 PM
L
lconn4 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
I have never in my many years broken a rod on a fish. In car doors? Yes. In truck beds? Oh yes. Rod lockers? Done that too. But never on a fish.

Also have never "broke off a fish". I have lost fish that got wrapped hopelessly and I pulled and pulled until he broke off but never had line break on a hook set. Never had line just "break off" as I was fighting a fish.

These things are reported on here and other places ALL THE TIME. I see the bruhs on social lamenting often about breaking rods on hook sets and fish "breaking off" when they are fighting them.

What am doing wrong? Why cant I break rods when boat flipping or on hook sets? Why is my line so strong it just does not randomly break while I am reeling in a fish?

Rods and lines are made so well... so strong these days. I cannot figure out how to get my cool fishing guy factor higher by breaking more stuff. Help a homie out yall.

you don't fish enough if you haven't ever had a fish break off on hookset... more times you fish, more times you have a chance to tie a bad knot roflmao

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Breaking stuff... Rods and line? [Re: Chris B] #14319161 03/18/22 01:06 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline OP
Jr Deputy Dan
OP Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Originally Posted by Chris B
Do you catch a lot of double digit fish? Both of my break offs last year looked to be DDs.

Of course I do. That Jones fella who makes the you tubes... well he follows me around in my yak trying to get the low down on my protocols.

Re: Breaking stuff... Rods and line? [Re: lconn4] #14319166 03/18/22 01:11 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline OP
Jr Deputy Dan
OP Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Originally Posted by lconn4

you don't fish enough if you haven't ever had a fish break off on hookset... more times you fish, more times you have a chance to tie a bad knot roflmao

Bruh. I fish once a week just about year round.

Not everyone is a semi retired yakking yoda like you my friend and can go fish whenever it strikes them to do so... I am jelly.

Check those knots real good though, you will not tie a bad one if you check them thoroughly. But maybe, just maybe I need to stop doing that THEN I can break off "huge fish" all the time and blame it on my 25 test... that I "broke" on a 3lb fish.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide