Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Is He Right? [Re: Champion1] #14318689 03/17/22 09:45 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Still the fact an A rig is "illegal" in certain arenas of fishing, but FFS is perfectly fine, is the funniest part of the whole deal.

50-70% of the tourneys will be able to be highly competitive or win with FFS, that is just the way it is today.

If this is legal though, the A rig should be as well. The big 3 electronics manufactures have indeed ruffled the feathers of a lot of the mid - older aged anglers with all this tech.

I m pretty adept to using sonar since I used it for the last 10 years of my career to find dead people and I was afforded a lot of training by the absolute best in the business. But saying that, catching fish like the pros do with FFS is a whole new ball game. Anyone with a moderate and above knowledge of sonar will truly appreciate the ones that are good with this technology. It's not as easy as plug and play or catching crappie or whites.

#MFGA
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Is He Right? [Re: buda13] #14318696 03/17/22 09:48 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by buda13
Is he right? I don’t know… golf capped club technology on the pro tour, baseball and softball bats are regulated by some leagues. Is this the point the line is drawn? Probably not.

I will say this, as much as I wished it wasn’t the case, if you don’t have FFS your are at a disadvantage to your competition. After having a chance to use 2 different brands now it’s become obvious to me just how much benefit it provides… way more than just looking at/for fish.

Absolutely it is a fisherman’s friend. No need to fish structure only hoping a fish is there. If you don’t see it, it ain’t there. Move along. The efficiency it adds is worth the money in a time restricted event.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Is He Right? [Re: Champion1] #14318775 03/17/22 11:27 PM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Zero chance trails start making it against the rules. To much sponsor money

Re: Is He Right? [Re: Champion1] #14318803 03/17/22 11:55 PM
O
ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50) Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
I have SI and DI sonar but not forward-looking sonar. Going back to tournament fishing it will be on my boat at some point. I'd like to have it to eliminate un productive water. My biggest fear is getting caught up it what I call the video game aspect of it, I don't want to become a SONAR ZOMBIE.
Because of the years I've been in this sport and the progressions this sport has been through in my lifetime there has been a lot of fish found while fishing without the use of anything electronic. If you look at the shoreline and the way the trees wind and lean out in a lake or bayou after a while you just develop the ability to figure out what's under the water and where the fish might be without even turning on a sonar. John Cox is a primary example of that but he also fishes very shallow and that's usually what I do. I don't know how shallow forward facing sonar will work but I may wind up putting it on my boat realize it's totally useless.
The other thing I see with this forward facing sonar is this is probably just the tip of the iceberg. The technology is advancing in almost anything in existence both in what is being developed and the rate it's being developed and the sonar technology will be no different. There's no telling what is liable to come out in the future, I figure at some point soon we will see sonar that doesn't look like an old DOS program but more like virtual reality. My two cents.

Last edited by ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50); 03/17/22 11:56 PM.

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Proud student of the Pro Staffer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwF72B2F2w&t=14s
Re: Is He Right? [Re: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)] #14318810 03/18/22 12:08 AM
S
SRitchey Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I remember in the early 80's, on the drives to the lake when I was a passenger; I spent most of the time looking out of the window. I wanted to see what creeks, runoffs, fence rows, and other above ground structure looked like so I could visualize it more when I was on the water. Then when I was on the lake using my flasher and looking at the surroundings I felt more confident, which led to more catches. Hell, I still do it. Really helped me and still does, just sayin'. And oh yeah...I love my Livescope!

Last edited by SRitchey; 03/18/22 12:14 AM.

Steve

1999 ChampioN 203 - 2011 250hp Mercury Optimax Pro XS
2-10" Helix & 1-10" Garmin Livescope Plus - Ultrex 36/112

Re: Is He Right? [Re: Douglas J] #14318838 03/18/22 12:35 AM
Barrett Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Douglas J
Still the fact an A rig is "illegal" in certain arenas of fishing, but FFS is perfectly fine, is the funniest part of the whole deal.

50-70% of the tourneys will be able to be highly competitive or win with FFS, that is just the way it is today.

If this is legal though, the A rig should be as well. The big 3 electronics manufactures have indeed ruffled the feathers of a lot of the mid - older aged anglers with all this tech.

I m pretty adept to using sonar since I used it for the last 10 years of my career to find dead people and I was afforded a lot of training by the absolute best in the business. But saying that, catching fish like the pros do with FFS is a whole new ball game. Anyone with a moderate and above knowledge of sonar will truly appreciate the ones that are good with this technology. It's not as easy as plug and play or catching crappie or whites.

If you think 50-70 percent of tournaments it will be tough to compete without FFS im going to have to strongly disagree. It has its time and place.

Re: Is He Right? [Re: Barrett] #14318846 03/18/22 12:39 AM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by Barrett
Originally Posted by Douglas J

If you think 50-70 percent of tournaments it will be tough to compete without FFS im going to have to strongly disagree. It has its time and place.

Exactly why I said 50-70% of the events the FFS gurus will have a real shot to win and finish highly. Weather and water quality will have a huge bearing on how the fish will position themselves.

I am too lazy or I would do the research into how many were won in the past year with FFS.

#MFGA
Re: Is He Right? [Re: Champion1] #14318963 03/18/22 02:38 AM
M
meP2too Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
As an “old gezzer” I agree 100 percent with the article. Most fishermen today would not know a seasonal pattern if you if you gave them 3 try’s. Most fishermen today do not know the difference between “structure” and “cover”.
I don’t remember who said it on a MLF show but they were thankful that their electronics got fixed, otherwise he would have not known how to catch his fish. That’s sad on a professional level.

Several years ago, I was on here complaining about the new technology called hydro-wave. Which is a clear “communication devise” that as advertised, can alter the fish’s behavior into feeding. Communication devises were illegal when KVD used it to win a Bassmaster Classic, “Back in the day”, Aqua View underwater cameras were illegal for tournaments use and I think the really old color selector was not allowed on tournament day.

Now we play video games, but like doping that ruined cycling, to be competitive you have to use it. Individual talent has taken a step back.

Re: Is He Right? [Re: Champion1] #14318990 03/18/22 03:11 AM
J
J.H.S. Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
I do agree with his article but I don’t agree you’re at a disadvantage if you don’t have it. A 25 pound bag is a 25 pound bag no matter how you catch and if you’re a bad fisherman without it, you’ll be a bad fisherman with it. It’s going to hinder the guys who rely on it solely as their only method of catching fish when it doesn’t work 9 months out of the year.

Last edited by J.H.S.; 03/18/22 03:12 AM.

Live Daringly, Boldy, and Fearlessly....Embrace the Challenge So That You May Feel the Exhiliration of Victory.

Re: Is He Right? [Re: Champion1] #14319026 03/18/22 07:25 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
If he has a fish finder in his boat then he has no room to complain. It’s similar to what was said when SI first came around. It was cheating because not everyone wanted to spend the money.

Re: Is He Right? [Re: Champion1] #14319072 03/18/22 11:29 AM
B
Bassinamped Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
I feel like this thread is a bunch of guys griping because they aren’t familiar with this newer technology. Everything in this world is constantly evolving and new innovations. Who knows what will be available to fishermen later on. I sure don’t hear anyone complaining about having spot lock capabilities after having hand controlled then foot controlled trolling motors with out spot lock in the past. I’ve fished with them all and we are very fortunate to have what we have now to make fishing for us weekend fishermen even that much better and easier. I guarantee all of the ones on here bashing FFS have never used it and think these guys just buy it, put it on their boats and the fish just start jumping into the boat. Not the case whatsoever. It takes a ton of time and practice to even be able to get decent at using FFS. Some guys just don’t want to spend the time or money to try something new, but want to gripe when someone else does and ends up doing well from it. It is not an end all. Can it help you catch fish? Yes sometimes it can be good for spotting and catching fish. Can it hurt you? Absolutely and does a lot. Fishing for fish that won’t bite anything you throw or won’t react at all happens so much more than not. Like people on here have said before, just because you can see the fish does not mean they will bite and that is 100% true and it’s frustrating. If only you guys who don’t use FFS knew how many times you get followed by a fish that doesn’t eat your lure you would understand. I understand this stuff can be expensive, but it’s not more expensive than anything else is these days. Hell you took up fishing for a hobby. It’s expensive. But it’s not wrong for the guys who use FFS just because that’s not the way you want to fish or because you don’t want to spend the time or money to try it. Just my $.02

Re: Is He Right? [Re: Champion1] #14319106 03/18/22 12:05 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
^^^Yep, I don’t think many here truly realize what you use FFS sonar for. I doubt there’s any point in explaining it either, but it’s just not used to stare at fish.

Now I can agree that it’s making tournament watching more boring, but no different than the drop shot tournaments. yawn

Re: Is He Right? [Re: grout-scout] #14319114 03/18/22 12:13 PM
B
Bassinamped Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted by grout-scout
^^^Yep, I don’t think many here truly realize what you use FFS sonar for. I doubt there’s any point in explaining it either, but it’s just not used to stare at fish.

Now I can agree that it’s making tournament watching more boring, but no different than the drop shot tournaments. yawn

Exactly. It’s a great tool for finding certain cover and finding structural drops and changes. I use it for much more than just looking for fish. I love using it to find the grass line or rock line.

Re: Is He Right? [Re: Bassinamped] #14319139 03/18/22 12:46 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by Bassinamped
Originally Posted by grout-scout

Exactly. It’s a great tool for finding certain cover and finding structural drops and changes. I use it for much more than just looking for fish. I love using it to find the grass line or rock line.

Yes sir, then you don’t have to drive OVER the fish and scare them all off of the structure (or cover for the ol’ hard heads.) roflmao

For the guys that hate the technology, I/you can do more with FFS than with SI, DI and 2d combined. Why would anyone want to look at information that’s already past you, when you can see it in front of you.

But yes, you do have to stare at the screen.

Last edited by grout-scout; 03/18/22 12:51 PM.
Re: Is He Right? [Re: Champion1] #14319157 03/18/22 01:03 PM
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I will confess, I have SI and don't use it but now I want FFS so I can not use it. Last time I won a tournament I didn't even turn my graphs on that day.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide