Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Dobyns Warranty [Re: Strat-a-Caster] #14310936 03/10/22 04:59 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline
the janitor
the janitor
J
So you bought a rod that you didn't know if it was new or refurbished and the Dobyns employee who sold it to you at the Dobyns headquarters couldn't tell you if it was new or refurbished. Then the first time you used it, you stuck a 10 pound bass that broke the rod.

Interesting story, but doesn't sound anything like Dobyns customer service.

The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

[Linked Image]
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Dobyns Warranty [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14310976 03/10/22 05:23 PM
V
VT 18 RIDER Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
V
yep basically. No wasn't the first fish, I got a 1 lber about 10 minutes earlier that day.

Gary was there, saw the picture of fish and the rod.

Just my experience.

carry on

Re: Dobyns Warranty [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14311066 03/10/22 06:39 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
So you bought a rod that you didn't know if it was new or refurbished and the Dobyns employee who sold it to you at the Dobyns headquarters couldn't tell you if it was new or refurbished. Then the first time you used it, you stuck a 10 pound bass that broke the rod.

Interesting story, but doesn't sound anything like Dobyns customer service.

This story is a little on the sketchy side.

I personally have purchased a lot of rods from the "tall guy" and they never sell rods off the "showroom floor" they always retrieve a new completely packaged rod from the warehouse. The ones on the floor are exactly that, floor models.

juggle

#MFGA
Re: Dobyns Warranty [Re: Strat-a-Caster] #14311133 03/10/22 07:14 PM
V
VT 18 RIDER Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
V
The rods in the showroom are the only thing sketchy about the story.

I won't buy from the "showroom". The tall guy had no personality. Maybe I forgot to wear my Team jersey.

I paid the "replacement fee". What's so hard to believe. Was I supposed to be get a "free" rod?

You guys are more bend out of shape about the situation that I am.

Original poster, they will probably replace rod without a receipt, be prepared to pay the "replacement fee". These guys make it sound like they will give you a new rod no question asked.

Re: Dobyns Warranty [Re: Strat-a-Caster] #14311354 03/10/22 10:32 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline
the janitor
the janitor
J
I was curious about this story, so got in touch with Dobyns and talked to the "tall guy," Brice, who is the store manager there. He said you talked to both he and Gary Dobyns when you were there yesterday and told them your drag was locked down and you broke the rod on your boat when the fish swam under it. That's not a defect in the product. Had the rod broke on hookset or just on the fish, they would have replaced it for free. You told them you broke your rod on your boat and they warrantied it for $50.

Seems fair to me.

The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

[Linked Image]
Re: Dobyns Warranty [Re: VT 18 RIDER] #14311365 03/10/22 10:43 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by VT 18 RIDER
The rods in the showroom are the only thing sketchy about the story.

I won't buy from the "showroom". The tall guy had no personality. Maybe I forgot to wear my Team jersey.

I paid the "replacement fee". What's so hard to believe. Was I supposed to be get a "free" rod?

You guys are more bend out of shape about the situation that I am.

Original poster, they will probably replace rod without a receipt, be prepared to pay the "replacement fee". These guys make it sound like they will give you a new rod no question asked.

I have always been honest and admitted when I have some fault in my equipment failures. Dobyns has a fee that way when we have a part in tearing up our own things, we do not have to pay full price for a replacement. If there is truly a defect they will replace them 100% free of charge, I had one several years ago that was replaced for $0.

I see the "rest of the story" is out now.

#MFGA
Re: Dobyns Warranty [Re: Strat-a-Caster] #14311411 03/10/22 11:38 PM
V
VT 18 RIDER Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
V
Oh I told him my drag started slipping right when I hooked the fish, and was working properly.
Have busted 15 lb big game in the past when drag not working properly, never broke a rod.
I will call him in the morning so he can tell the correct story

Re: Dobyns Warranty [Re: Strat-a-Caster] #14311463 03/11/22 12:16 AM
K
ko bass attack 27 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
K
I've got at least a dozen Dobyns rods all of the Champions or extremes with a couple of the new xtacy rods as well. A couple years ago I let a fishing buddy use an older model DX 743 and he tried to boat flip a 7 lber. He caught on a half ounce Cordell jigging spoon. We were catching schoolers on almost every cast. Needless to say he broke the rod about a foot down from. The tip, the rod was about 10 years old and had caught hundreds of fish. I took it to Lake Fork Resort and the lady told me to go back and get another DX and it would be $100. They no longer made the old brown rods so I got a new DX HP 743. I thought it was a very fair deal. I will agree don't expect this kinda deal at Oak Ridge. This is the only time that I had to deal with Dobyns on any rod failure.

Re: Dobyns Warranty [Re: Strat-a-Caster] #14311853 03/11/22 01:11 PM
G
GRUMPS Offline
Angler
Angler
G
I took one for a friend to the factory in Sulphur Springs a few weeks ago. No receipt just the broken rod. They walked in the back brought out a new one and charged $50, as it was a Fury model. No hassle, in and out in 5 minutes. They have great customer service and stand behind their products.

Re: Dobyns Warranty [Re: Strat-a-Caster] #14312162 03/11/22 04:51 PM
V
VT 18 RIDER Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
V
Never intended to start a bashing Dobyns response. Just wanted to clarify with the OP that the warranty as stated on their webpage. Some imply the guy could walk in the Sulpher Springs location and they will hand you a new rod, no replacement fee. I thought I gave a positive response to the OP, that for the cost of the "replacement fee" you could probably return a used rod without receipt. The warranty seemed like a big decision for buying a used rod. I don't buy used rods or buy for warranty.

Now, my story was called sketchy by some, not sure what part of story is "sketchy":
-that I didn't get a free rod?
-that I had to pay the replacement fee?
-that a rod snapped in half while landing a ten pound bass?
-that used rods are sold in the showroom?

Not sure what prompted some to call BS on the "story". I found it so interesting that some would have the time to waste to call Bryce about MY warranty deal. More interesting is the store manager would discuss our business transaction. And shocked that he would lie to his customer that the rod hit the side of boat and drag was not adjusted properly. I made it clear that this was a new rod and busted on the first good fish. I have caught several bass that size with my other rod of the same model. He says he sees it all the time and happen to yaks guys frequently. My 14ft boat has pool noodles on the gunnel and with the location that the rod snapped it is physically impossible that scenario happened. Waiting for my call back from Bryce so we can determine who the lair is here.

On the drive up to the store, I had intended to buy a hat and hoodie. But after their response that their rods pop all the time, I realized that it is probably true since their rods are mass produced China products. I didn't bitch about the warranty, I paid my "fee' and left, but again making sure he understood that the rod was defective. Had time to think about the interaction on the way home and I realize I need better rods for the fish I catch.

So glad I was able read about the lie before my GF headed back to the city for the cold front. She was able to take two FR733s back to Academy that she bought he last week. Now have 8 other rods to get rid of. The warranty rod will make a great gift.

This morning I caught my last bass on Dobyns Rod. Cold front will be blowing through so I will take the time to derig my Dobyns rods and set up my old trusty and maybe a bit crushy rods.

Look this is a Cali company coming to TX, they need to leave the Cali ethics behind and quit lying to their customers about other customers warranty claims.

Good customer service would be Gary handing me for a hat for catching a 10lber on one of his rods. Much less a catching it on a broken Dobyns rod, that would been hoodie if I owned the company.

Again good warranty on these rods....you will need it

Re: Dobyns Warranty [Re: Strat-a-Caster] #14312205 03/11/22 05:31 PM
The Tacklesmith Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Was the broken rod a clean break ?

What model was it?

Last edited by The Tacklesmith; 03/11/22 05:36 PM.

Thank you,
Shawn Smith

TTS Unlimited.... www.ttsunlimited.webs.com
The Tacklesmith ... www.thetacklesmith.webs.com
LED Boat Lighting
Back with the 2 way bass boat alarm https://youtu.be/XGtLRNE7mm0
Dobyns Rod Dealer

Grand Prairie, TX

Re: Dobyns Warranty [Re: VT 18 RIDER] #14312214 03/11/22 05:37 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline
the janitor
the janitor
J
Originally Posted by VT 18 RIDER
Never intended to start a bashing Dobyns response. Just wanted to clarify with the OP that the warranty as stated on their webpage. Some imply the guy could walk in the Sulpher Springs location and they will hand you a new rod, no replacement fee. I thought I gave a positive response to the OP, that for the cost of the "replacement fee" you could probably return a used rod without receipt. The warranty seemed like a big decision for buying a used rod. I don't buy used rods or buy for warranty.

Now, my story was called sketchy by some, not sure what part of story is "sketchy":
-that I didn't get a free rod?
-that I had to pay the replacement fee?
-that a rod snapped in half while landing a ten pound bass?
-that used rods are sold in the showroom?

Not sure what prompted some to call BS on the "story". I found it so interesting that some would have the time to waste to call Bryce about MY warranty deal. More interesting is the store manager would discuss our business transaction. And shocked that he would lie to his customer that the rod hit the side of boat and drag was not adjusted properly. I made it clear that this was a new rod and busted on the first good fish. I have caught several bass that size with my other rod of the same model. He says he sees it all the time and happen to yaks guys frequently. My 14ft boat has pool noodles on the gunnel and with the location that the rod snapped it is physically impossible that scenario happened. Waiting for my call back from Bryce so we can determine who the lair is here.

On the drive up to the store, I had intended to buy a hat and hoodie. But after their response that their rods pop all the time, I realized that it is probably true since their rods are mass produced China products. I didn't bitch about the warranty, I paid my "fee' and left, but again making sure he understood that the rod was defective. Had time to think about the interaction on the way home and I realize I need better rods for the fish I catch.

So glad I was able read about the lie before my GF headed back to the city for the cold front. She was able to take two FR733s back to Academy that she bought he last week. Now have 8 other rods to get rid of. The warranty rod will make a great gift.

This morning I caught my last bass on Dobyns Rod. Cold front will be blowing through so I will take the time to derig my Dobyns rods and set up my old trusty and maybe a bit crushy rods.

Look this is a Cali company coming to TX, they need to leave the Cali ethics behind and quit lying to their customers about other customers warranty claims.

Good customer service would be Gary handing me for a hat for catching a 10lber on one of his rods. Much less a catching it on a broken Dobyns rod, that would been hoodie if I owned the company.

Again good warranty on these rods....you will need it

I called Dobyns because they are one of our advertisers here on the TFF. We always let the advertisers know when there is a discussion like this about their product.

[Linked Image]
Re: Dobyns Warranty [Re: Strat-a-Caster] #14312242 03/11/22 06:02 PM
V
VT 18 RIDER Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
V
Next time you talk to him, mention lying looks bad in a public forum.

Re: Dobyns Warranty [Re: Strat-a-Caster] #14312246 03/11/22 06:04 PM
V
VT 18 RIDER Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
V
sorry to clarify. He shouldn't lie to you since you will repeat his lies here on an open forum .

Re: Dobyns Warranty [Re: Strat-a-Caster] #14312312 03/11/22 06:58 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
roflmao you probably stepped on it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread