Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Now what? #14306914 03/07/22 01:59 PM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
So we keep saying the deep bite is ending. The winter pattern we have been enjoying is all but over. So now what? What's the next big thing? We are getting tired of having to put on so many clothes we look like Randy from A Christmas Story getting ready for school! Randy!

So now what? What do we look for? What is the next pattern to focus on? In my opinion, the answer is the Pre Spawn pattern...

What is pre-spawn? - I think the pre spawn pattern is defined as the time of year when the fish start feeding up preparing for the spawn when they are less focused on eating and wholly focused on reproducing. Pre Spawn is also a time when the water is warming and the fish are more active because their metabolism is increasing. Blue cats can spawn between 70 and 84 degrees but the sweet spot is 80 to 81 degrees. 80 degree water is a good ways off yet but 70 isn't that far.

What is the process? - Before they spawn they will stage up on the North end of the body of water they are on. They will go up river to spawn. They typically don't spawn in the open water of the main lake. In the Pre Spawn period they are looking for bait that is focusing on the fresh water coming into the lake on the spring rains. The transition we are seeing now from deep water to mid-depths is a first step in that process. As they get to the mid-depths, they will continue to look for the warmer water. In the spring, that usually means shallow. The spring sun will warm the shallows first. The bait will seek out the warmth of those shallows and the blues will follow.

What to look for? - Watch the bait. Look for the bait starting to come back into the marinas and the coves with shallow water. Where we have been catching bait in 30 plus feet of water, we can go back to starting to look for them more spread out in shallower water. The boat ramps, the marinas, the shallows will start to hold bait again. You will start to see bait on the surface in the mornings. When you start to see bait shallow, you will start to see blues shallow too.

Where should I fish? - Think North but don't just think North. When I put together a plan for a pre spawn pattern, I will look North but I will also look shallow. I will think about places where I can get out of the wind because this time of year, that can be a problem. I will also think about places where I have seen a good shallow bite based on the wind direction (not always North).

Can I still target big fish? - You can still catch big fish. But the reality is you are probably going to win on numbers, not size. When the pre spawn pattern sets up, the big fish seem to be more scattered. It's not like the winter pattern where they are 10 feet thick at the deepest part of the lake. They spread out more so they are harder to target simply because they are not as concentrated.

What about bait? - In my opinion, smaller is better. I have caught big fish (30ish pounds) on tiny, 1 inch square pieces of bait during the pre spawn pattern. This is also the time of year to down size hooks along with the bait.

Drift or Anchor? - The answer is... it depends. I know; how do you decide? If the wind is up and I want to get out of it to fish, I will find a cove with timber and anchor up. If the wind is such that I can drift, and I can find fish in a driftable area, I will drift. It really does all depend. The pre spawn pattern is a good time to target some eaters for a fish fry because you can usually get into them and catch what you need quickly and easily. This is also a good time for the little ones to get out because the action is a lot faster.

Now, all of this is just my opinion. I base this on my experience. This spring is setting up to be a dry one and that is likely going to have an impact on things. Water is typically high in the spring but as of now Lavon is still about 4 feet low. I think that may make things a little easier but time will tell.

I would love to hear what the rest of you guys think about the pattern change. Let me know how you see it...

Tight Lines & God Bless

Catfish Tim
๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ
Romans 8:1

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Now what? [Re: Catfish Tim] #14307381 03/07/22 08:41 PM
K
KEGracing Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
well... it snowed and sleeted at my house this morning... confused

Cold - cooler all this week, leading into kids spring break. What does that do... LOL

With all that said - THANK YOU VERY MUCH for this write up Tim. Excellent points and learning tool here. Much appreciated.

Ken

2014 Premier Alante 235 RF tritoon. Momma's boat. But I get to fish on her.

A country boy will survive... but those who cross him?

Cedar Creek personal best:
Blue Cat 31.55 lbs
Hybrid 6.2 lbs
Crappie 2.1 lbs
Re: Now what? [Re: Catfish Tim] #14307524 03/07/22 10:01 PM
S
skeetmaster Offline
Angler
Angler
S
So right Ken!

Thank you Tim, this will really be my first spring transition because I didn't really start targeting blues until after the get-together last year. I wasn't really focused on them at that point. I'm very curious about the warming process. I noticed yesterday that the main lake temp was around 50 degrees but we found water as warm as 59 degrees in the back of a shallow cove. It wasn't in the very north end of the lake either. I'm guessing there had be water in the very north end that was at least 62 degrees or warmer. So, with that said, I caught a 44 pounder in 24 feet. At what point, I wonder, will that 44 pounder start seeking out the warmer water? We scanned A LOT of shallow water with no success locating any fish. Chris said that he suspects they're waiting for the influx of water from the rains that we would normally be getting about now. So, say we get a couple of inches of good warm rain. Will the fish immediately head to the really shallow water or will they begin a slow migration there?

Oh my head's really spinning now!

I love being a student of the game. I wish I had some experience to fall back on here. I generally don't even fish for the catfish from this point until around the end of May. We do quite well during that time and what I can't explain is that we'll catch a ton of cats in shallow water in two different places-3 feet deep in the very north end of the lake all around brush with a really muddy bottom, and in 3 feet deep in the rocky shoreline coves just off the main lake with no cover whatsoever! We can go to either spot at the same time and just kill em.

So, are they actually spawning at the time I'm talking about or are they feeding up for the spawn then? I don't know because I don't remember what the water temp was then. Are they like other species, say crappie, which will spawn in completely different depths, areas and habitats all over the lake? Man, the more questions I ask, the more questions I have!

Tim, I think you may have started an endless cycle for me!! Get ready for more questions LOL!! I hope everyone weighs in here.

Re: Now what? [Re: Catfish Tim] #14307559 03/07/22 10:19 PM
J
jippedgenes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Great writeup. I am still learning and this is a great nugget for me. THANKS!

Re: Now what? [Re: Catfish Tim] #14307614 03/07/22 10:53 PM
D
DEWAYNE BULLARD Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
D
Well I am not sure what happens up that way but on Livingston the Spring time we refer to the bulkhead bite.
The Shad start spawning and running the shore lines and along the bulkheads and it can start in March but the fronts push them out when they come trough but by mid April itโ€™s pretty consistent. Bait is easily had at ramp or dock with just a dip net or small cast net and the first few hours you can fill the coolers if you pick the right spot and the Blues are stuffed so full you wonder why they are still eating. You will catch them right against the bank or out away from the bank with a cork or on the bottom.
Normally a small circle or kale hook and small weight works best.
You can still move out and catch some fish drifting also and still catch some decent fish doing it . I like to double dip some morning after catfishing go hit the Sandbass because when they come back to the main lake after they spawn they are feeding machines and fun to catch .

BEATING THE BLUES ONE FISH AT A TIME.
PB BLUE 57 LBS. Lake Conroe
TEAM SLIME-N-ATOR
Re: Now what? [Re: Catfish Tim] #14307711 03/08/22 12:24 AM
Z
z289sec Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Z
I haven't even found 60 degree water yet. Close, 59.2, but not 60 yet. Did hear a marine biologist talking about all the big fish coming out of OH Ivie this year. He said due to conditions over the last two to three years it's been a perfect storm for fish growth, especially at that reservoir, but mostly all over North Texas. I wish I had saved the video to link here, but can't find it on my phone where I watched it. He said he wouldn't be surprised if a lot of records, among many species, are broken this year. Which is great news.

Of course, that's if we can get our boats in the water. I know one of the lakes I love to fish is so low now the marina is almost on the dirt. Thanks to TRWD.

Last edited by z289sec; 03/08/22 01:03 AM.
Re: Now what? [Re: Catfish Tim] #14308109 03/08/22 12:17 PM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Ken - The weatherman must have forgotten to include that in the forecast. It was doing the same thing at my house yesterday morning... My grandkids are on break this week. Would have been nice if it was last week. Always seems to be that way...

As far as what it does to the transition to pre-spawn; I think it is just part of the process. We all know how schizophrenic the weather can be this time of year. 85 one day and 35 that night when we get one of those cold fronts. Case in point, forecast this morning says 46 and rain today, sunny and 70 Thursday and 40 with rain and snow Friday with a low of 25 Friday night! If I was a catfish I'd be confused too! I think that's why they will stage up first in mid-depths 20-25 feet, then as it warms up, maybe 10-15 feet, then 5-8 feet. When one of those fronts comes through and kicks the surface temps down the fish will drop back a step. Then when we get a good spring rain and we get an inrush of fresh water and nutrients coming into the Northern shallows they will run up into the real skinny water to feed. The shad will run up there too when that fresh water comes in and the blues will give chase. I think we need to pay close attention to the surface temps this time of year and scan shallow to see what the fish are doing. Like I noted, once you see bait busting the surface in the marinas and in the shallows, it's time to start thinking skinny water. But watch for the fish to back off a step when we get a cold front.

Geno - In my opinion that 44 of yours was seeking warmer water. If it had been a week earlier he would have been in 35 feet instead of 25 feet. Just like that day you and I were out, we marked fish all over the mid depths, but they weren't feeding. Why not? Maybe they were uncomfortable at that depth because they were just moving up. Maybe they needed to acclimate to what ever the temperature was at that depth. One thing to keep in mind, the temperature reading on our sonar units is surface temp. It reads the temp at the transducer. When the surface temp is really low, say in the 40s the fish go deep because the deep water is warmer. The shad go deep to stay alive at those temps.

I think Chris may be right about waiting for the rains. The rains may provide a bridge for baitfish and those chasing them to get to the really skinny water. The path to those 60 degree shallows is still pretty cold. Could be the rain mixing the warmer surface water with the deeper water is what they need to get there. Geno you answered your own question about spawning vs feeding up. It depends on the temperature. 70 to 84 is a wide range of temperatures. A better question might be how long does the water need to be above 70 to trigger them to spawn? I think for the most part they are still feeding. I think when they spawn they move way up the creek channels. If we don't get some rain so they can get up there I think they may be left to find places on the main lake as best they can but I think they really want to get out of the lake. I remember a report in Oklahoma where a tagged blue cat went 50 miles up the red river to spawn, then came back into Texoma.

Dwyane - That bulkhead pattern you describe sounds similar to what we get here too. I have had days up against a wind blown shore where you couldn't keep more than 2 rods in the water because the action was so fast. That works on the rip rap around causeways too. The shad will spawn there and the other fish will feed on them. I think that works for Sand Bass and Crappie too. Everything eats shad. You are right about going small though. I will re-rig with smaller hooks and use smaller baits in that type of set up...and about the fronts pushing them out, that's that step up I was talking about. They want to move shallow but when those cold fronts hit, back down they go. The wide range in surface temps between lakes doesn't really surprise me. Even though the weather can be similar, I think there are enough other variables that affect surface temps to see that kind of spread. Steepness of the bank and orientation of the lake to the prevailing winds being a big one.

Z - Man! Even 59 degree water seems like a big jump to me. We have been hovering just above or just below 50 for some time now.

Guys, a friend of mine used to say if you're not learning you're dying. When it comes to catfishing, nothing could be more true. I am always learning. Every time I go out I learn something new.

God Bless & Tight Lines

Catfish Tim
๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ
Romans 8:1

Re: Now what? [Re: Catfish Tim] #14308208 03/08/22 02:03 PM
Bluecat Bob Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Thanks so much for all the invaluable information here, Tim.

You rock!!

flehan

"if you're not learning you're dying.." - AMEN to that!!

Geno and I spoke yesterday, two cat'n enthusiastic n00bies, and we were chatting' up a storm for 30 minutes. Sharing our experiences, defeats and victories, and the things we had learned. It dawned on us just how far we had both come in our knowledge and skill. But it also was becoming clear how little we both still knew, and honestly that's the thing which is so awesome about this sport.

We both agreed we owe a lot to you Tim, and to Chris.

I have the good fortune to be at Lake Ray Roberts for no less than 12 days, with my trailer and boat at the lake, and the fishing for the first 4 days can be summed up in one picture.

[Linked Image]

Yup, I haven't been out. To dog darn windy. The March winds have been fierce, 20mph and up to 25 every day, and while folks have been out it's been rough and as I know my limitations in my small boat. Nope.

Yesterday was forecast slightly lighter winds and I woke up to this.

(short movie)
https://maddbrit.smugmug.com/RV-Trips/RV-Trip-14-Lake-Ray-Roberts-Spring-Break-2022/i-VKKss5C/A

Tomorrow should be better, and I can't wait to put my new skills and knowledge into practice on Ray Bob!

Retired from the grind and enjoying life and the great outdoors ### Formerly Texas Brit ###
Re: Now what? [Re: Catfish Tim] #14308459 03/08/22 04:30 PM
๐Ÿ€El Gato Azul๐Ÿ€ Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Iโ€™m passing the torch to Tim for helping guys on the open forum. Will continue to help guys privately but have decided to take a back seat on the forum and take a break for a bit. Big thanks to the guys who have put forth the effort and shown support. I really appreciate all the friendships Iโ€™ve built. Iโ€™m still going to be following the TFF and rooting on my friends so if any of you guys need anything at all the PM me or give me a call.

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
โš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธ Home of little boys holding big catfish! โš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธ
Re: Now what? [Re: Catfish Tim] #14309576 03/09/22 01:13 PM
S
sapalmer Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S

Im already catching them shallow on grapevine. caught this one at the boat ramp on grapevine 10-14 FOW.
Been catching much smaller ones on cut perch but this one was caught using a 4 inch live perch.

[Linked Image]

Re: Now what? [Re: Catfish Tim] #14309614 03/09/22 01:52 PM
N
nellie Offline
Angler
Angler
N
I have been catching them in 2-3 feet or water for a month now, but itโ€™s mostly weather dependent on warming trends, not consistent yet by any means. Caught a 33lb fish Saturday and a few 20-24lb fish the last month but nothing bigger.

Re: Now what? [Re: Catfish Tim] #14310048 03/09/22 08:32 PM
K
KEGracing Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
OK... CURVEBALL - maybe...

What do the longer days - amount of daylight do to all of this???

Thanks everyone - as always![u][/u]

2014 Premier Alante 235 RF tritoon. Momma's boat. But I get to fish on her.

A country boy will survive... but those who cross him?

Cedar Creek personal best:
Blue Cat 31.55 lbs
Hybrid 6.2 lbs
Crappie 2.1 lbs
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide