M
Man under the round hat. Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Fish are about halfway up ,
Its started but not full on .

Be careful at the gun club as one of supports holding the big pipe is collapsing.

it seems every fish is a hybrid until its landed.

see also is it a hybrid / I think its a hybrid
Re: Rowlett Creek Sandbass run 2022 [Re: Man under the round hat.] #14296421 02/25/22 04:56 AM
B
Bass fro chop Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
march 1 guaranteed

I don't always catch fish, but when I do, I prefer Dos Hybrids

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff10/horns999/merainbows2.jpg
Re: Rowlett Creek Sandbass run 2022 [Re: Man under the round hat.] #14296437 02/25/22 09:59 AM
F
Fishin' Fool Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Are there any descent places to launch a kayak?

Re: Rowlett Creek Sandbass run 2022 [Re: Man under the round hat.] #14297003 02/25/22 06:24 PM
M
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Miller road bridge. from there you go north and hit 66 bridge, the bike park , or go south to the lake. North the creek is kind a skinny, much wider as you go south.

Re: Rowlett Creek Sandbass run 2022 [Re: Man under the round hat.] #14297171 02/25/22 08:24 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Limits have been caught there if you feel like fighting the crowds

Re: Rowlett Creek Sandbass run 2022 [Re: Man under the round hat.] #14303918 03/03/22 09:57 PM
M
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
My update.

after the last cold front fishing got really weak.

right now at miller like others are reporting there are some to be caught.

A few spots have schools where crowds gather and come out with stringer fulls.

Between the fork up to the bike park people seem to be able to pull out or or two a trip.

The fish are hard to come by if you are not on a school but at least there is something.

The water looks like Algae soup right now , with very little visibility.

Its still early but at least something is there.

Re: Rowlett Creek Sandbass run 2022 [Re: Man under the round hat.] #14304041 03/04/22 12:14 AM
J
JCBfromTHF Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
I am laughing at all the people at Miller Road fighting for parking. I know that creek like the back of my hand and there aint enough there to fight over right now. If we dont get some run off rain pretty quick I am going to abandon the creeks all together and focus on more productive main lake spots. Heck my favorite spot in that whole creek is so low you can walk across it right now and never get wet above your knees.

Re: Rowlett Creek Sandbass run 2022 [Re: Man under the round hat.] #14304641 03/04/22 05:52 PM
M
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
It s spring and near the house, so i gotta join the fray down there.

A few or more years back there was a drought and construction at miller. There was access to the creak about halfway to the lake.
Anyone been around there lately?

Last edited by Man under the round hat.; 03/04/22 05:54 PM.

Re: Rowlett Creek Sandbass run 2022 [Re: Man under the round hat.] #14305151 03/05/22 02:43 AM
T
tejaschaos Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
My kids & I fished the banks of the bike trail this afternoon. It was tough, my son landed one keeper. 2 fellas had 5-10 on stringers, but there wasn’t much pulled out the 3 1/2 hours we were out there. Seemed like decent water current, but it’s my 1st time to fish this creek. Threw jigs/ grubs & jerkbaits.

Semper Fi!

Mike
Re: Rowlett Creek Sandbass run 2022 [Re: Man under the round hat.] #14309147 03/09/22 12:00 AM
M
Mckinneycrappiecatcher Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
M
Early run fish are finicky, they’re not that easy to catch, 4lb fluorocarbon line with minnows bumped along the bottom is the absolute best technique for them. Oftentimes when those fish first show up they absolutely will not bite a lure, and the fish in rowlett are line shy because of clearer water. I’ve been doing this a long time, trust me when I say the biggest mistake people make on rowlett creek, or any creek really is using too heavy of line and expecting that just because they’re sandbass they’ll bite anything. Early run fishing is tough unless you know what you’re doing.

Re: Rowlett Creek Sandbass run 2022 [Re: Mckinneycrappiecatcher] #14309158 03/09/22 12:07 AM
J
JCBfromTHF Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Mckinneycrappiecatcher
Early run fish are finicky, they’re not that easy to catch, 4lb fluorocarbon line with minnows bumped along the bottom is the absolute best technique for them. Oftentimes when those fish first show up they absolutely will not bite a lure, and the fish in rowlett are line shy because of clearer water. I’ve been doing this a long time, trust me when I say the biggest mistake people make on rowlett creek, or any creek really is using too heavy of line and expecting that just because they’re sandbass they’ll bite anything. Early run fishing is tough unless you know what you’re doing.

Usually I would 100% agree with you on all of that, BUT.....this year the creek is uncharacteristically murky despite the lack of rainfall. In most areas you have about 12"-18" visibility this year unless you go waaaay far up where the bottom is more firm. Even in the more firm areas the clarity is about half what it usually is though.

Re: Rowlett Creek Sandbass run 2022 [Re: JCBfromTHF] #14309172 03/09/22 12:20 AM
M
Mckinneycrappiecatcher Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
M
Originally Posted by JCBfromTHF

Usually I would 100% agree with you on all of that, BUT.....this year the creek is uncharacteristically murky despite the lack of rainfall. In most areas you have about 12"-18" visibility this year unless you go waaaay far up where the bottom is more firm. Even in the more firm areas the clarity is about half what it usually is though.

I always go with better safe than sorry, it’s not that hard to tie on 3 feet of fluorocarbon and it might make a world of difference

Re: Rowlett Creek Sandbass run 2022 [Re: Mckinneycrappiecatcher] #14309361 03/09/22 02:53 AM
G
Grainraiser Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G

Once the crowds hit those fish want tiny lures on very light line. I can't tell you how many times folks have look at me with amazement while I catch fish and they go fishless in the same hole. I use 2lb test and 1 inch lures or tiny minnows. They have 12lb line with 2 inch baits and get few bites. Sandbass ain't the smartest fish in the lake but they learn quick on Rowlett creek.

Re: Rowlett Creek Sandbass run 2022 [Re: Man under the round hat.] #14314779 03/14/22 03:01 AM
S
Slick Rick ‘06 Offline
Angler
Angler
S
I had 6# mono hi-vis and I was about the only person that had any luck. I’m trying out many different lines this year to find the one that I like best. Right now it’s 15# braid with 6# mono leader. I like the braid to feel the bite. Today the fish were extremely finicky. I only caught one with 5 or so short strikes. I fished extremely slow dragging bottom.

You ain’t gonna catch any sittin’ on the couch.
Re: Rowlett Creek Sandbass run 2022 [Re: Man under the round hat.] #14318193 03/17/22 02:14 PM
P
pyledriver Offline
Angler
Angler
P
I’ve gone out several times over the last few weeks, the last being Tuesday afternoon. So far I would say way less than desired results, lol! I’ve only caught a few each trip but I have seen people catch as many as six, and then there are always the people saying ‘you should’ve been here yesterday!’, lol… they ALWAYS say that! The good part about being early on the run is that the creek is not terribly crowded. The bad part I would say for me is that I remember that creek back in the 90s when I used to fish it a lot, and yes there was trash back then, but absolutely nothing compared to what it’s like now! I’ve literally seen guys down there drinking beer and just get up and leave the bottles, the trash, everything and walk to a different place. One time I asked someone about that and I was stunned when he told me that he thought someone had a job to come down there and clean everything up. let’s just say he ‘wasn’t from around here’. I told him that was not the case but he didn’t go back and clean up his stuff. Anyway I’m probably lucky I didn’t get into a fight I guess…which was the reason I quit going down there in the late 90s. At any rate, it’s Thursday morning about 9 AM and I don’t have a job until two, and the one that I have is very close to the creek, so I’m considering going down there and trying it out again. I suspect once the temperatures get good enough where I feel like taking my kayak out I will quit going down there in favor of other places (Texoma), and that’s when they will be running, lol… hammer

'Today is the day!' - Mel Fisher
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide