Print Thread
New Guy - Trim Question #14302954 03/02/22 10:20 PM
P
Prosit! Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
P
Happy to be here seeking assistance. I have a 2002 Yamaha VX250TLRA. I've taken it out a couple of times and noticed the trim is quite noisy and acts like it's low on fluid. Today, it wouldn't trim/tilt up at all at the boat ramp when I was leaving.

I lifted the lower unit by hand while pressing the trim switch and got her high enough to pull out of the water.

I have no idea if/when it's been serviced, and I'm looking for advice on how to flush and fill.

Thanks!

Happy Texas Independence Day!

Re: New Guy - Trim Question [Re: Prosit!] #14303021 03/02/22 11:56 PM
P
Pat Goff Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Youtube is your new best friend.
Lots of instructions on how to fill your trim pump properly.
However they usually don't lose fluid on their own, you're probably going to find failed seals. If you see water or brown goo coming out of the top of the pump, you need to do more than add fluid.

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: New Guy - Trim Question [Re: Prosit!] #14310499 03/10/22 04:05 AM
AggieDave Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Check out Crowley marine. They have GREAT exploded diagrams for Yamaha motors. Here is the link for the motor you mention. Check out the "POWER TRIM TILT ASSY 1" diagram. Part number 23 is called the "Reservoir Plug". Its really not a plug as much as a cap that screws onto the reservoir. This the where you will need to check and fill the fluid. Before you remove any plugs, caps, anything...make sure you tilt the motor up high enough to engage the tilt locks. This takes pressure off the hydraulic systems so you can open the system w/o getting a shower. For reference, I have attached a picture of the tilt locks below.

[Linked Image]

Flush is a much more involved process, so I'd start with fill and check for leaks. Make sure the boat is level. Tilt the motor all the way up until it rests on the tilt locks. Remove the reservoir plug. Fill the reservoir until the Tilt/Trim fluid begins to leak out. I use Yamalube Performance Power Trim & Tilt Fluid. Make sure to clean and lube the pistons (there are three of them. two small one large). I use standard 2-4-C grease. If your motor is very noisy when being tilted, make sure to lube the friction points. There should be 4 grease fittings, two on each side of the motor where it mounts to the jackplate.

Finally after you've run the motor a time or two, check for leaks. The most common place to find a leak is at the base of the two smaller tilt pistons. This is generally due to dirt and grime on the tilt pistons being sucked down past the seals. If this happens, its a pretty straightforward issue to replace the seals and o-rings. Check back here if needed and I'm sure someone can step you through the process.

HTH

Last edited by AggieDave; 03/10/22 04:06 AM.

Fish tremble at the mere mention of my name!
Re: New Guy - Trim Question [Re: Prosit!] #14310778 03/10/22 03:03 PM
S
Stump jumper Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
I don't put grease on steering rods or tilt and trim rods. I use silicone spray and wipe down with a clean rag. I also hit the balls on the end of the trim rods with silicone spray and roll them around.

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Re: New Guy - Trim Question [Re: AggieDave] #14321043 03/20/22 08:57 PM
P
Prosit! Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
P
Originally Posted by AggieDave
Check out Crowley marine. They have GREAT exploded diagrams for Yamaha motors. Here is the link for the motor you mention. Check out the "POWER TRIM TILT ASSY 1" diagram. Part number 23 is called the "Reservoir Plug". Its really not a plug as much as a cap that screws onto the reservoir. This the where you will need to check and fill the fluid. Before you remove any plugs, caps, anything...make sure you tilt the motor up high enough to engage the tilt locks. This takes pressure off the hydraulic systems so you can open the system w/o getting a shower. For reference, I have attached a picture of the tilt locks below.

Flush is a much more involved process, so I'd start with fill and check for leaks. Make sure the boat is level. Tilt the motor all the way up until it rests on the tilt locks. Remove the reservoir plug. Fill the reservoir until the Tilt/Trim fluid begins to leak out. I use Yamalube Performance Power Trim & Tilt Fluid. Make sure to clean and lube the pistons (there are three of them. two small one large). I use standard 2-4-C grease. If your motor is very noisy when being tilted, make sure to lube the friction points. There should be 4 grease fittings, two on each side of the motor where it mounts to the jackplate.

Finally after you've run the motor a time or two, check for leaks. The most common place to find a leak is at the base of the two smaller tilt pistons. This is generally due to dirt and grime on the tilt pistons being sucked down past the seals. If this happens, its a pretty straightforward issue to replace the seals and o-rings. Check back here if needed and I'm sure someone can step you through the process.

HTH

Thanks, Dave! Works like a charm now.

Re: New Guy - Trim Question [Re: Prosit!] #14321183 03/20/22 11:51 PM
tmd11111 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
If you had to add fluid then it has a leak and will do it again.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide